Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains

10 Questions MCQ Test Geography for UPSC CSE | Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains

This mock test of Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains for UPSC helps you for every UPSC entrance exam. This contains 10 Multiple Choice Questions for UPSC Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains (mcq) to study with solutions a complete question bank. The solved questions answers in this Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains quiz give you a good mix of easy questions and tough questions. UPSC students definitely take this Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains exercise for a better result in the exam. You can find other Previous Year Questions(PYQs): Mountains extra questions, long questions & short questions for UPSC on EduRev as well by searching above.

When you travel in the Himalayas, you will see the following :
1. Deep gorges
2. U-turn river courses
3. Parallel mountain ranges
4. Steep gradients causing land-sliding

Which of the above can be said to be the evidences for Himalayas being young fold mountains?


All the above features can be said to be the evidence for the Himalayas being young fold mountains. Deep gorges, U- turn river courses, Parallel Mountain Ranges, and steep gradient causing land sliding are very common views on the Himalayas.


Which one of the following pairs of islands is separated from each other by the ‘Ten Degree Channel’?


The Ten Degree Channel separates the South Andaman and Car Nicobar in the Bay of Bengal.

The two sets of islands together form the Indian Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.


On the planet earth, most of the freshwater exists as ice caps and glaciers. Out of the remaining freshwater, the largest proportion


About 97.5% of the water on the earth’s surface is saltwater. That leaves only 2.5 % that is fresh water. Of that, about 69% is frozen fresh water in glacier and ice caps, 30% is ground water, and only 1% is surface water in lakes, rivers, and in the atmosphere.


Which of the following is a block mountain?


Block Mountains are created when large areas or blocks of earth are broken and displaced vertically. The Great African Rift Valley (valley floor is graben), The Rhine Valley and the Vosges Mountain in Europe are examples.

In India specifically the mountain ranges Satpura and Vindhya found in the central- western part of the Indian sub continent are block mountains, having formed through cracks in the earth's crust, these ranges rose while the block of earth known as the Rift Valley depressed.


Which among the following hills is known as the Blue Mountains?

  • The Nilgiri (Blue Mountains), form part of the Western Ghats in western Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala states of south India.
  • Nilgiri hill station is known as the blue mountains of Tamilnadu.

Nathu la and Jelep la Passes are located in which mountain range?


In Himalaya.
The pass is about 4 km (2.5 mi) south of Nathu La and although it is higher, Jelep has been used for centuries by traders because of its less rugged terrain.


Which of the following statements about the Himalayan Mountains is NOT correct?

  • The range lying to the immediate south of the Himadri is called Shiwaliks is the wrong statement about the Himalayan Mountains.

    ► The range lying to the immediate south of the Himadri is Himachal and to the immediate south of Himachal is Shiwaliks.
  • Dalfa, Miri, Mishmi, Abor and Patkai are in Arunachal Pradesh, Dhang range, Dundwa range, Churian and Muria Ghats are in Nepal, and Jammu hills are in Jammu and Kashmir.

The Himalayas belong to which of the following categories of mountains?


The Himalayan mountain system belongs to fold mountain system.

Fold mountains are created where two of Earth's tectonic plates are pushed together.


Which hill station is called as the 'Queen of the Satpuras'?


Pachmarhi, also known as 'Satpura ki Rani' or 'The Queen of Satpura' sits perfectly surrounded by nature, history, and mythology amidst the Satpura range.


Which of the following State is surrounded by Bangladesh from three sides? 


The northeastern state as commonly known as seven sisters, of which Tripura is the state which is being surrounded by the neighbour country Bangladesh on all three sides except one.

Similar Content

Related tests