Veena bought a watch costing Rs. 1404 including sales tax at 8%. She asked the shopkeeper to reduce the price of the watch so that she can save the amount equal to the tax. The reduction of the price of the watch is?
B. Rs.104 Explanation: 1.08x = 1404 x = 1300 The reduction of the price of the watch = 104
A Sales Executive gets a commission on total sales at 8%. If the sale is exceeded Rs.10,000 he gets an additional commission as a bonus of 4% on the excess of sales over Rs.10,000. If he gets the total commission of Rs.950, then the bonus he received is?
Explanation: Commission up to 10000 = 10000 * 8/100 = 800 Ratio = 2x:x ; Commission = 2x, Bonus = x ; Bonus = 950 – 800 * 1/3 = 150 * 1/3 = 50
In a College there are 1800 students. Last day except 4% of the boys all the students were present in the college. Today except 5% of the girls all the students are present in the college, but in both the days number of students present in the college, were same. The number of girls in the college is?
Explanation: From Options; let Number of girls = 800 Number of boys = 1000 96% of 1000 + 800 = 95% of 800 + 1000[satisfies the condition; Check the condition with other options also]
In a library 60% of the books are in Hindi, 60% of the remaining books are in English rest of the books are in Malayalam. If there are 4800 books in English, then the total number of books in Malayalam are?
Explanation: Let there are X books in the library.
Hindi books = 60% of X = 60X /100 = 0.6X Remaining Books = X – 0.6X = 0.4X English books = 40% of reaming books = 60% of 0.4X = 0.24X.
Malayalam Books = X-0.6X -0.24X = 0.16X Given, 0.24X = 4800
X = 4800/0.24 = 20000
Malayalam Books = 0.16X = 0.16*20000 = 3200.
80% of a small number is 4 less than 40% of a larger number. The larger number is 125 greater than the smaller one. The sum of these two numbers is
Explanation: smaller number = x; larger number = y 0.8x + 4 = 0.4y 4y – 8x = 40 y – x = 125 x = 115; y = 240 x + y = 355
In a private company 60% of the employees are men and 48% of the employees are Engineer and 66.6% of Engineers are men. The percentage of women who are not engineers is?
Explanation: Men = 600x Women = 400x Total engineers = 480x Male engineers = 480x * 0.66 = 320x Women who are Engineers = 160x Women who are not Engineers = 400x – 160x = 240x Required percentage = 240/400 * 100 = 60%
Initially, Suresh has Rs.200 in his paytm wallet then he increased it by 20%.Once again he increased his amount by 25%. The final value of money in his wallet will be how much % greater than the initial amount?
Explanation: 200 + 20% of 200 = 240 240 + 25% of 240 = 300 Required percentage = 300 – 200/200 * 100 = 50%
Mr.Ramesh gives 10% of some amount to his wife and 10% of the remaining to hospital expenses and again 10% of the remaining amount to charity. Then he has only Rs.7290 with him. What is the initial sum of money with that person?
C. Rs.10000 Explanation: Remaining amount = x * 0.9 * 0.9 * 0.9 0.729x = 7290 x = 10000
Initially, a shopkeeper had “x” pens. A customer bought 10% of pens from “x” then another customer bought 20% of the remaining pens after that one more customer purchased 25% of the remaining pens. Finally, shopkeeper is left with 270 pens in his shop. How many pens were there initially in his shop?
Explanation: x*0.9*0.8*0.75 =270 x = 270 * 10000 / 9 * 8 * 75 x = 500
The cost of packaging of the oranges is 20% the cost of fresh oranges themselves. The cost of oranges increased by 30% but the cost of packaging decreased by 50%, then the percentage change of the cost of packed oranges, if the cost of packed oranges is equal to the sum of the cost of fresh oranges and cost of packaging
Explanation: Let initial Cost of fresh, oranges = 100. packaging cost = 20. Initial total cost = 100 + 20 = 120 After increasing in cost of fresh mangoes 30%, Cost of fresh mangoes = 130 And cost of packing go down by 50 % so, Cost of packing = 10.
Total cost = 130 + 10 = 140.
Increased cost = 140 – 120 = 20. % increased = (20*100) /120 = 16.66%.
Cost Price of two laptops is same. One of the laptops is sold at a profit of 15% and the Selling Price of another one laptop is Rs. 3400 more than the first one.The net profit is 20%. What is the Cost Price of Each laptop?
Explanation: (2x*1.15) + 3400 = 2x*1.20 2.4x – 2.3x = 3400 x = 34000
In an office there are 40% female employees. 50% of the male employees are UG graduates. The total 52% of employees are UG graduates out of 1800 employees. What is the number of female employees who are UG graduates?
Explanation: Total employees = 1800 female employees = 40% male employees = 60% 50% of male employess = UG graduates = 30% Female employees who are UG graduates = 22% 22% of 1800 = 396
Ravi got 70% in English and 56% in Biology and the maximum marks of both papers is 100. What percent does he score in Maths, if he scores 60% marks in all the three subjects?. Maximum Marks of Maths paper is 200.
Explanation: 70 + 56 + x = 60% of all three subjects 70 + 56 + x = 60% of 400 x = 240 – 126 = 114 % = 114/200 * 100 = 57%
Ankita is 25 years old. If Rahul’s age is 25% greater than that of Ankita then how much percent Ankita’s age is less than Rahul’s age?
Explanation: Percentage decrease = 25/125 * 100 = 20%
Mr.Ravi’s salary was reduced by 25% for three months. But after the three months, his salary was increased to the original salary. What is the percentage increase in salary of Mr.Ravi?
Explanation: Percentage increase = 25/75 * 100 = 33.33%
In an election only two candidates A and B contested 30% of the voters did not vote and 1600 votes were declared as invalid. The winner, A got 4800 votes more than his opponent thus he secured 51% votes of the total voters on the voter list. Percentage votes of the loser candidate, B out of the total voters on the voter list is:
Explanation: Total voters on the voter list = x 0.51x + 0.51x – 4800 = 0.70x – 1600 1.02x – 4800 = 0.70x – 1600 x = 10000 Votes of the loser candidate = 5100 – 4800 = 300 Percentage votes of the loser candidate = 300/10000 * 100 = 3%
In a school there are 2000 students. On January 2nd, all the students were present in the school except 4% of the boys and on January 3rd, all the students are present in the school except 28/3% of the girls, but in both the days number of students present in the school, were same. The number of girls in the school is?
Explanation: From Options; let Number of girls = 600 Number of boys = 1400 96% of 1400 + 600 = [600 – 28/3 % of 600] + 1400 = 1944[satisfies the condition; Check the condition with other options also]
A school has raised 75% of the amount it needs for a new building by receiving an average donation of Rs. 1200 from the parents of the students. The people already solicited represents the parents of 60% of the students. If the School is to raise exactly the amount needed for the new building, what should be the average donation from the remaining students to be solicited?
D. Rs.600 Explanation: Let the number of parents be x who has been asked for the donations.
People already solicited = 60% of x = 0.6x Remaining people = 40% of x = 0.4x Amount collected from the parents solicited= 1200 *0.6x = 720x 720x = 75%; Remaining amount = 25% = 240x Thus, Average donations from remaining parents = 240x /0.4x = 600
The monthly income of Shyama and Kamal together is Rs.28000. The income of Shyama and Kamal is increased by 25% and 12.5% respectively. The new income of Kamal becomes 120% of the new salary of Shyama. What is the new income of Shyama?
E. Rs.15000 Explanation: The monthly income of Shyama and Kamal => S + K = 28000 —(1) Shyama’s income = x; Kamal’s income = 28000 – x.
K = 120/100 * S —(2)
S’s new income = (28000 – x)*112.5/100 K’s new income = x * 125/100 (28000 – x)*112.5/100 = x * 125/100 x = 12000 New Income of Shyama = 125% of 12000 = 15000
500 kg of ore contained a certain amount of iron. After the first blast furnace process, 200 kg of slag containing 12.5% of iron was removed. The percentage of iron in the remaining ore was found to be 20% more than the percentage in the original ore. How many kg of iron were there in the original 500 kg ore?
Initially ‘x’ kg of iron in 500 kg ore.
Iron in the 200 kg of removed =200*12.5/100= 25 kg.
The percentage of iron in the remaining ore was found to be 20% more than the percentage in the original ore
So (x-25)/300 = (120/100)*x/500
=> x – 25 = 18x/25
=> 7x = 625
=> x = 89.2