Mendel selected garden pea as his experimental material due to the following advantages:
1. The pea plant is easy to grow and interbreed.
2. Peas reproduce and grow to maturity in a season (an annual plant). Because of a short life cycle, several generations can be produced within a short period.
3 The flowers are bisexual containing both male and female parts. They are self-fertilising in nature.
4. Because of easy self-fertilization, it is easy to get pure lines for several generations.
5. It is easy to hybridize because pollen from one plant can be introduced into the stigma of another plant by removing anthers.
6. The pea plants have a number of contrasting characters.
7. It produces fertile hybrids. This enabled Mendel to continue his experiments for generations