SUPERCHARGING, ENGINE TESTING AND EMISSIONS
EFFECT OF SUPERCHARGING ON ENGINE PERFORMANCE
BASIC PERFORMANCE PARAMETERS OF IC ENGINE
Specific power output =
utilization of swept volume of the engine.
Measurement of Engine Parameters
|Parameter||Method of measurement|
|Air consumption||Air boxmethod|
|Exhaust emission||Flameionisation det ector (for hydrocarbon) spectroscope analysis|
|Friction power||Morse test,motoring test, Willan ' s linemethod|
Pollutant from Petrol Engine
|Evaporative loss from tank & carburetor||15%-25%of HC|
|Crankcase blow by fumes||20%-35%of HC|
|Exhaust emission||50%-60%of HC and completely unburnt CO and NO|
Carbon Monoxides (CO)
Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx)
Control of Air Pollution by Petrol Engine
Total Emission Control Package
Catalytic Converter Package
Causes of Smoke
Engine Design Modification
1. Leans A/F ratio: They reduce CO and HC emissions.
2. Reducing the CR: It reduces the peak temperature which reduces NOx emissions.
3. Reducing valve overlap: This would reduce the amount of UBHC from escaping along e exhaust gases.
4. Combustion chamber modification: By suitable design of combustion chamber quench areas can be eliminated. This would result in proper combustion and reduce CO and HC.
5. Retarding the spark: This reduce the peak temperature and reduces NOx.