Class 6 : Chapter Notes - Data Handling Class 6 Notes | EduRev
All you need of Class 6 at this link: Class 6
- Data is a collection of numbers gathered to get some information.
- To get the required information, all observations should be recorded.
- Tally marks are used to organise the observations. Record every observation by a vertical mark, but every fifth observation should be recorded by a mark across the four earlier marks, like this: .
- We depict each observation with the help of tally marks.
For example, we have a group of persons and their sizes of shoes.
The tabular form representing the tally marks is as shown here.
- A picture that visually helps us to understand data is called a pictograph.
- A pictograph represents data in the form of pictures, objects or parts of objects.
- In real life, pictographs are used by newspapers and magazines to attract the attention of the readers. A pictograph helps us to answer questions on the data at a glance. To draw pictographs, we use symbols to represent a certain number of things or items.
- For example, represents 100 bulbs.
- The key for a pictograph tells the number that each picture or symbol represents.
- Bar graphs or bar diagrams are helpful in representing the data visually.
- In bar graphs or bar diagrams, bars of equal width are drawn horizontally or vertically with equal spacing between them.
- The length of each bar represents the required information. Choosing an appropriate scale for a bar graph is important.
- Scale means the number used to represent one unit length of a bar.
For example, the scale for the bar graph shown here is 1 unit length = 100 children.