|Table of contents|
|Fishermen in their Boats|
|Different Types of Boats|
|The Fish Market|
|Women's “MEENKAR BANK”|
Fishes are in different shapes and sizes. Squares and triangles can be used to draw a fish.
There are fish designs around us — on cloth, in paintings, on mats, etc.
Fishes can have very different sizes:
The smallest fish is about 1 cm long. The biggest fish is the whale shark. It is actually not a whale but is a big, big fish. One whale shark was as long as 18 m. Its weight is about 16000 kg.
“Schools” of Fish:- Fish like to swim together in the sea in big groups called “schools” of fish. In their school they feel safe from the bigger fish.
To scare away the bigger fish, some small fish drink up a lot of water, swell up and look big
- By swimming in a school, the smaller fish feel safer and protected from predators.
- Some smaller fish even adopt defensive mechanisms, such as drinking up a lot of water and swelling up to appear bigger, to intimidate larger fish.
- The purpose of this behavior is to ensure the survival of the smaller fish by deterring potential threats from larger predators.
- Therefore, the correct answer is option B, "To scare away bigger fish."
Different shapes can be used to make drawings of fish:
Fishermen in their boats, going up and down with the waves to catch fish. They start their trip when it is still dark. Some go on a simple boat made from logs of wood tied together. If the sea is rough, with very high tides and a strong wind, then these fishermen have a very difficult time.
Out on the sea, fishermen look for a place where they hope to find a good catch of fish. There they spread their nets. They will have to wait for many hours for the fish to come into their nets.
Some very big machine boats (trawlers) are also used by fishermen.
Fishermen in the smaller boats always let the baby fish pass through their nets to go back into the sea. They choose a net size in such a way that only the grown up fish are caught.
For hundreds of years fishermen have cared for the sea and its fishes, and fished only a little to eat and sell. They say that if trawlers catch thousands of kilograms of fish everyday, there will be no fish left in the sea!
Which Boat Gets How Much?
Mini— Come here! Come here! Take sardines at Rs 40 a kg.
Gracy — Never so cheap! Get sword-fish for Rs 60 a kg.
Floramma sells prawns for Rs 150 a kg.
Karuthamma sells squid for Rs 50 a kg.
Look, Fazila can hardly carry this big kingfish! She says, This fish weighs 8kg. I will sell the whole for Rs 1200.
This is a bank made by twenty fisher women. Each one of them saves Rs 25 every month and puts it in the bank. If someone needs money to buy net, boat etc. they take loan from the bank and later return it with interest.
- Fisher women save Rs 25 every month and put it in the bank.
- If someone needs money to buy nets, boats, etc., they can take a loan from the bank and later return it with interest.
- This bank is made by twenty fisher women to support each other financially.
- So, the correct answer is option B, which states that the purpose of the "MEENKAR BANK" is to provide loans to fisher women.
The women of Meenkar Bank also want to start a factory to dry fish. The Panchayat has given them some land for that. Over the years they have saved Rs 74,000.
The table for the cost of each item and the number of items they want to buy for the factory is given below.
(a) Total cost to set up the factory ?
(b) When fresh fish Is dried, it becomes l /3 its weight. In one month they plan to dry 6000 kg of fresh fish. How much dried fish will they get In a month?
(a) Total cost to set up the factory = Rs 3000 + Rs 40000 + Rs 4000 + Rs 6000 + Rs 1500 = Rs 54,500
(b) Dried fish they will get in a month = 6000 kg /3 = 2000 kg
|1. What are some common types of boats used by fishermen?|
|2. What is the fish market?|
|3. What is the “MEENKAR BANK” chapter in the Fish Tale Class 5 about?|
|4. What is the role of fishermen in the fishing industry?|
|5. Why is fishing an important industry?|