|Table of contents|
|Essential Requirements to produce a good crop are:|
|Crop Protection and Storage of Seeds|
|1 Crore+ students have signed up on EduRev. Have you?|
You will learn about:
The plants that are grown in large areas during a particular period are called crops. This practice of growing large quantities of plants for food and other purposes is called agriculture.
Crops are mainly of different types –
1. Farmers should have knowledge about the soil, climate and season for growing different crops.
2. A high-yielding variety of seeds should be used.
3. Farmers should properly irrigate the soil when required.
4. The right amount of fertilizers should be added to the soil. Two kinds of fertilizers are used for this purpose: organic and inorganic fertilizers. Organic fertilizers are obtained from decaying plants, cow dung, etc, while inorganic fertilizers are synthesized. For, example, urea and nitrates.
5. Farmers should use insecticides and pesticides to protect their crops from insects. However, overuse of pesticides can be harmful to the soil and ultimately to our health.
For better and healthy crops, we must protect them. We should take the following steps to protect crops: