|Table of contents|
|Two Tales of Democracy|
|1. Establishment of Democracy in Chile|
|Phases in the Expansion of Democracy|
|Democracy at the Global Level|
|Difficulties People Face in a Non-Democratic Country|
➢ Common Features
Democracy is a form of government that allows people to choose their rulers.
In a democracy:
(i) Only leasers elected by people should rule the country.
(ii) People have the freedom to express views, freedom to organize and freedom to protest.
➢ Struggle of the People of Myanmar to Establish a Democratic Government
Aung San Suu Kyi
1. General Assembly
2. Security Council
3. Economic and Social Council
4. Trusteeship Council
5. International Court of Justice
- Its role is to take crucial decisions in conflicts between countries.
- The Security Council consists of 15 members, including 5 permanent members (US, Russia, UK, France, and China) and 10 non-permanent members.
- The permanent members have veto power, which means that any decision can be blocked if any permanent member disagrees.
- The Security Council can impose trade sanctions and take military action against warring countries.
- Its decisions carry significant weight and have a direct impact on global peace and security.
|1. What is the establishment of democracy in Chile?|
|2. What are the phases in the expansion of democracy?|
|3. What is democracy promotion?|
|4. What difficulties do people face in a non-democratic country?|
|5. What is democracy at the global level?|