the Tale of Custard the Dragon’ is a comical poem written by Ogden Nash. A young lady named Belinda lived in a little white house with her four pets. They were Ink-a little black kitten, Blink-a little grey mouse, Mustard-a yellow dog and Custard-a little pet dragon. Ink, Blink and Mustard boasted of their bravery. They often made fun of custard for his cowardice. One day a pirate breaks into Belinda’s house. He had pistols in both hands. Ink, Blink and Mustard run away in fear and hide. But custard faces the pirate bravely and kills him. Belinda was very much happy with Custard. She embraced him. The other pets also danced with joy. But soon after they were again boasting of their bravery. Belinda was again taken in by them. She showered all her care for Ink, Blink and Mustard and leaving Custard crying for a nice safe cage.
DETAILED SUMMARY (2)
1.Belinda and Her Pets: Belinda lived in a little white house. She lived there with her pets. They were: a black kitten, a grey mouse, a little yellow dog and a dragon named Custard. The black kitten was named Ink. The mouse was called Blink. The dog was called Mustard. All other pets except Custard were thought to be very courageous and brave. The custard was meek and cowardly and always longed for a safe cage. Belinda and her pets mocked at him. Outwardly, the dragon had big sharp teeth. His mouth looked like a fireplace and there were ‘daggers’ on his toes. But all other pets and Belinda only mocked at him for his timidity and lack of courage. Belinda was as brave as a ‘barrel of bears’. Ink and Blink could chase ‘lions down the stairs’. Mustard, the yellow dog was as brave as a tiger.
2. The custard was Mocked: Belinda tickled Custard unmercifully. Blink and Mustard rudely called him Percival, a great warrior. They asked his age. Poor Custard cried timidly for a nice safe cage.
3. Pirate Attacked: Suddenly, a nasty sound was heard. The dog growled and all others looked around. They saw a pirate climbing in through the window. He held a pistol in each of his hand. He held a dagger in his mouth. His beard was black. One of his legs was of wood. He looked terrible and his intentions too seemed terrible.
4. Belinda Cried for Help and Pets Ran Away in Fear: When Belinda saw the pirate, her face became pale. She cried for help. The dog Mustard fled away and Ink hid in fear. The little mouse Blink entered his hole.
5. Custard Fought Bravely and Swallowed the Pirate: The dragon Custard attacked the pirate with his powerful tail. He pounced upon the pirate as a robin pounces at a worm. The pirate fired two bullets at Custard but they missed the aim. Custard swallowed him at once. Belinda embraced Custard. Mustard licked him. Ink and Blink danced joyfully around him.
6. Poor Custard Not Given His Due: The dragon Custard killed and swallowed the pirate. However, he was not given his due. Belinda and her pets started patting themselves for their courage and bravery. The poor Custard was again mocked for his meekness and timidity.
Main Points of the Poem
1. Belinda lived in a little white house.
2. She lived there with her pets.
3. Her pets contained a black kitten, Ink, a grey mouse, Blink, a yellow dog, Mustard and a dragon named Custard.
4. All other pets were considered sharp and brave.
5. Only Custard was considered as a coward who always ‘cried for a nice safe cage.
6. ‘ The dragon had sharp teeth. There were spikes on top and scales beneath him. He spat fire and had daggers on his toes.
7. Belinda and her pets mocked Custard for his timidity.
8. Suddenly, they saw a pirate climbing up through the window.
9. The pirate had a pistol in each hand and a dagger in his mouth.
10. His beard was black and one of the legs was of wood.
11. Belinda turned pale on seeing the pirate and cried for help.
12. The dog Mustard fled crying. Ink hid himself and the little mouse Blink disappeared in the mousehole.
13. But Custard jumped up at the pirate attacking him with his iron tail.
14.. He pounced upon the pirate, killed and swallowed him within no time.
15. Belinda embraced Custard. Mustard licked him. Ink and Blink danced around him.
16. Then, everyone started bragging again of his bravery forgetting the bravery shown by Custard.
17. Custard agreed that everybody was braver than him.
18. Belinda is still considered as brave as ‘a barrel full of bears’. All her pets, except Custard, are considered sharp and brave.
19. Only Custard is mocked for his timidity and lack of courage.
|1. What is the summary of "The Tale of Custard the Dragon"?|
|2. Who is the main character in "The Tale of Custard the Dragon"?|
|3. What is the theme of "The Tale of Custard the Dragon"?|
|4. How does Custard prove his bravery in "The Tale of Custard the Dragon"?|
|5. What is the moral lesson of "The Tale of Custard the Dragon"?|