Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

Physics Class 12

Created by: Infinity Academy

Class 12 : Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

The document Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev is a part of the Class 12 Course Physics Class 12.
All you need of Class 12 at this link: Class 12

Permanent Magnets

Commonly steel is used to make a permanent magnet because steel has high residual magnetism and high coercivity.

Electromagnets

Electromagnets are made of soft iron because area of hysteresis loop for soft iron is small. Therefore, energy loss is small for a cycle of magnetisation and demagnetisation.

(Permanent magnets are made by the materials such as steel, for which residual magnetism as well as coercivity should be high. Electromagnets are made by the materials such as soft iron for which residual magnetism is high, coercivity is low and hysteresis loss is low).

Important Points

  • Magnetic length = 5 / 6 * geometric length of magnet.
  • About 90% of magnetic moment is due to spin motion of electrons and remaining 10% of magnetic moment is due to the orbital motion of electrons.
  • When a magnet having magnetic moment M is cut into two equal parts

(i) Parallel to its length

M’ = m / 2 * l = M / 2

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

(ii) Perpendicular to its length

M’ = m * l / 2 = M / 2

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

  • When a magnet of length I, pole strength m and of magnetic moment M is turned into a semicircular arc then it new magnetic moment

M’ = m * 2R = m * 2 * 1 / π (πR = I)

= 2M / π (M = m * l)

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

  • A thin magnet of moment M is turned into an arc of 90°. Then new magnetic moment

M’ = 2√2M / π

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

  • A thin magnet of moment M is turned at mid point 90°.Then new magnet moment

M’ = M / √2

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

  • A thin magnet of moment M is turned into an arc of 60°. Then new magnetic moment

M = 3M / π

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

  • A thin magnet of moment M is bent at mid point at angle 60°. Then new magnetic moment.

M’ = M / 2

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

  • Original magnet MOS is bent at O, the mid point at 60°.All sidesare equal
  • The mutual interaction force between two small magnets of moments M1 and M2 is given by

F = K 6M1M2 / d4 in end- on position.

Here,d denotes the separation between magnets.

  • Magnetic length = 5 / 6 * geometric length of magnet.
  • Cause of diamagnetism is orbital motion and cause of paramagnetism is spin motion of electrons. Cause of ferromagnetism lies in formation of domains.
  • The perpendicular bisector of magnetic axis is known as neutral axis of magnet. Magnetism at neutral axis is zero and at poles is maximum.
  • For steel coercivity is large. However, retentivity is comparatively smaller in case of steel. So, steel is used to make permanent magnets.
  • For soft iron, coercivity is very small and area of hysteresis loop is small. So, soft iron is an ideal material for making electromagnets.
Offer running on EduRev: Apply code STAYHOME200 to get INR 200 off on our premium plan EduRev Infinity!

Dynamic Test

Content Category

Related Searches

Important questions

,

Sample Paper

,

ppt

,

pdf

,

Objective type Questions

,

Summary

,

practice quizzes

,

shortcuts and tricks

,

Previous Year Questions with Solutions

,

study material

,

Free

,

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

,

Extra Questions

,

past year papers

,

Semester Notes

,

Exam

,

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

,

Viva Questions

,

mock tests for examination

,

Doc: Permanent Magnets and Electromagnets Class 12 Notes | EduRev

,

MCQs

,

video lectures

;