Mathematics is a subject which can be either moderate for some of the students, while some students enjoy solving questions related to Maths. In CLAT, the elementary mathematics or Numerical Ability encompasses topics from algebra, analysis, arithmetic, calculus, geometry and number theory that are frequently taught at the primary or secondary school level.
More importantly, it comprises of 10% of the CLAT exam which means a good amount of time should be given to this as it can be quite scoring overall. So, it comprises of 20 marks, 20 easy-to-score marks. Math section is the most scoring section for you as it does not require as much number of hours as the rest.
The question that arises here is: How to prepare for the Numerical ability (Elementary mathematics or Quantitative Aptitude) section of the CLAT exam?
Here are a few guiding points to help you prepare for mathematics part of CLAT strategically:
1. Build a Strong Base: This section consists of elementary mathematics, up to your 10th standard. The students who are quite thorough with the fundamentals and basics of mathematics will have good scope in this section. So, work on your fundamentals and concepts before anything else. Once your basics are clear in the mind, you will have a good idea of how to approach the higher level questions. Identify the relevant topics by going through the past years papers and practice them thoroughly. The questions here are of elementary nature and can be easily solved once your fundamentals are clear.
Quantitative Aptitude for CLAT
Includes 21 docs & 31 tests
2. Focus on Speed and Accuracy: Although the parameters of speed and accuracy are important for all the sections, they are especially relevant for the Maths section. You cannot afford to spend too much time on these elementary maths questions, as other sections carry more weightage. It is important to learn to solve the questions with good accuracy within a limited time frame for proper time management. Ideally you should take 12- 15 minutes to solve 20 question. Hence, you cannot use the long winding methods we learnt in school. Here, the questions need to be solved with minimum steps on paper as possible and never more than 3 steps. So you need to cut down the steps and solve the sums as fast as possible.
3. Achieve your goals with Practice: Regular Practice will help you understand which questions are easy to attempt in the exam and which questions should be skipped owing to the time constraint and negative marking. Preparing for CLAT requires consistency, dedication, focus and good mentorship. Plan your preparation for numerical ability section of CLAT keeping in mind the time you have and your areas of strength & weakness. This can be achieved by practicing the concepts on a regular basis.
Quant Full Test-1
4. Formulae - A helping hand: Most of the topics in the Mathematics (Numerical Ability) section of CLAT exam can be solved with the help of formulas.
It is vital to learn and apply the formulas in topics such as percentages, averages, profit and loss etc. Most of these topics will come as questions in the paper and knowing the formulas will save a considerable amount of time. Learn all the formulas and apply them wherever necessary to save time.
5. Evaluate your learning with CLAT Mock tests and CLAT Previous Years Question Papers: We all know maths requires a lot of practice and the final step in your preparation for Elementary Mathematics for CLAT should be attempting as many questions from mock tests and CLAT Previous Years Question Papers as you can. Take multiple CLAT Mock Tests and solve ample number of previous years CLAT Question Papers for improving your time management skills.
CLAT Past Year Papers (2008-2019)
Includes 10 tests
Mock Test Series for CLAT
Includes 45 tests
CLAT is conducted in an online mode i.e. Computer Based Test. There will be 20 questions from Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability) in CLAT exam. The weightage of this section is least i.e. 10%, as compared to other sections.
The questions will be of Objective Type Multiple Choice. Candidates will have to select one of the four options given, to mark the correct answer. As the level of questions are elementary, candidates can easily answer 15 to 18 questions easily. Candidate will be awarded with 1 mark for every correct answer. Negative marking of 0.25 marks will be done in case of wrong answers. The questions will be based on fundamental mathematics concepts.
CLAT Syllabus for Numerical Ability will be based on the fundamentals of mathematics from class 10. Following is the list of topics which will be covered in CLAT exam:
1. Firstly, analyse your Strengths and Weaknesses: Go through the questions and understand if it is an easy or a difficult paper. If Maths is a section you are strong at and very confident about, approach the section in the beginning and finish it. If not, it is recommended to keep it towards the last after completing all the other sections you feel confident about. Either way, you must not take more than 20 minutes to solve this section. Strategizing on how to solve the paper is extremely important.
2. Secondly, attempt the questions by the process of option elimination. This lessens the time taken to finish the entire section.
3. Finally, be calm and don't panic. CLAT has a long history of setting unpredictable papers, so it is vital to be prepared for any kind of questions.
Includes 45 tests
Includes 23 docs, 81 videos & 51 tests
Includes 10 docs & 43 tests
Includes 16 docs & 55 tests
Includes 21 docs & 31 tests
Includes 10 tests
Similarly, prepare for other sections of CLAT here
How to prepare Reasoning for CLAT 2021?
How to prepare Legal Aptitude for CLAT 2021?
How to prepare English for CLAT 2021?
How to prepare General Knowledge for CLAT 2021?
|1. How important is the Numerical Ability section in the CLAT 2021 exam?|
|2. What topics should I focus on while preparing for the Numerical Ability section of CLAT 2021?|
|3. Are there any specific strategies or tips to improve my performance in the Numerical Ability section of CLAT 2021?|
|4. Is it necessary to use a calculator for the Numerical Ability section of CLAT 2021?|
|5. How can I manage my time effectively while attempting the Numerical Ability section in CLAT 2021?|