The Reasoning section in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) will test candidate’s interest towards study of law, research aptitude and problem solving ability. Questions will be framed with the help of legal propositions, and a set of facts to which the said proposition has to be applied.
Of the 200 questions asked in CLAT, logical reasoning section constitutes 20% or 40 questions which test the candidate's ability to identify patterns, logical links and rectify illogical arguments. This section includes a variety of questions such as:
Although the topics mentioned above are diverse, these should not be considered the only topics for preparation of CLAT Exam. Remember that the purpose of this section is to test logical thinking and understanding of a candidate.
Reasoning section can be time-consuming as the questions in this section are towards a difficult level to comprehend but one can overcome this by regular practice.
Lawyers are considered to have a good reasoning ability and hence, a good hold over this section and a good score in the exam becomes imperative for a successful career in this field.
1. Understanding the Basics: The key point to consider while preparing the reasoning section for CLAT is building the basics. Once the basics are clear then the candidate will also be able to comprehend and attempt those questions that are at an advanced level Reasoning questions from areas like coding, directions, blood relations, syllogisms, etc. can be easily solved if you know the basics of these topics and identify the correct pattern. The difficult topics should always be dealt with later or else they would end up hampering the confidence of the candidates in this section.
Includes 16 docs & 55 tests
2. A proper Schedule and good Planning: You should follow a well-organized action plan and schedule. Specific time has to be devoted exclusively for this section. You must give at least 45-60 minutes daily to focus your attention on this section and identify your areas of strength and weakness.
A good time-table will be a motivating factor in the preparation phase. Follow it strictly to achieve your goals.
This will solidify your preparation and will benefit you immensely on the CLAT exam day.
3. Be a Smart Learner: There are a number of shortcut techniques for some topics in the reasoning section. One should be smart enough to learn those shortcuts to save time during the exam. If any topic doesn’t have any short techniques, there are various easy and convenient methods available in the books to solve them. Such methods and short techniques will help the candidate to get through all the tricky questions in the exam in a minimum amount of time.
4. Practice is the key: One needs to use the time really efficiently and one way to do that is practicing as much as possible. Regular practice will increase your speed and help you save a considerable time during the exam, which can further be utilized in other sections.
Practice will contribute in making the student comfortable with various topics and hence, consume less time.
5. Test your understanding with CLAT Mock Tests and CLAT Previous Years Question Papers: Once you are done with the syllabus of the reasoning section, they should start attempting mock tests on a regular basis.
While taking mock tests, you will come across several new questions, which will give you a mind’s eye to deal with a new type of problem and eventually enhance your reasoning ability.
This will also help you identify their strong and weak points through the analysis of the paper on which they can further work.
Includes 45 tests
Similarly, the CLAT previous years' question papers will help you get an idea about the pattern and the type of questions being asked previously. It will also help the candidate to know what topics need more attention and give them a reasonable idea of what to expect from the current year’s paper.
Includes 10 tests
6. Manage your Time: Time management is of great importance while taking the exam and proper time managing skills will come after practicing various mock and previous year papers for CLAT. You should not take more than 25 minutes of your time in attempting 40 questions.
Also, during the exam, if you are unable to solve any particular question in the first attempt, he/she should skip that question and deal with it later.
Topic-wise Tips for CLAT Reasoning:
Syllogism: Draw Venn Diagrams to avoid confusion. Questions must be read well to avoid mistakes as sometimes questions are tricky.
Analysis Judgment: It requires critical thinking and needs a lot time to solve. Questions include blood relation, Direction, Height and Sequence. Only good practice can help you to solve this quickly.
Verbal Analogies: A good Vocabulary will help you solve this section. Finding the relationship between the two words in the right context
Non- Verbal Reasoning: Pictorial Analogies, Symbol series, symbolic operations, numeric patterns, spatial relations, space visualizations, Spatial Reasoning, mirror image and space image are examples of questions. Preparation will be of great help.
Numerical Operations: Numerical Operations are easy if you are well versed with the formulae.
Coding-Decoding: Coding-Decoding are very tricky questions and need time to solve.
Matrix and puzzles: This section tests your unusual and creative ways of solving problems. It is difficult and time-consuming.
Unlike the Logical Reasoning section in Bank exams, SSC CGL or MBA, the level of difficulty of Logical Reasoning in CLAT will be relatively easier. Law aspirants don’t need to prepare for Logical Reasoning, the way Students often prepare for MBA (CAT). There is no mathematics involved in Law, therefore making this consideration, you need not worry about being very strong in logical reasoning as if you are trying for an MBA. The level of questions will be between Class 10 to 12.
Recommended books for CLAT 2021 Reasoning
All Courses for CLAT 2021
Includes 23 docs, 81 videos & 51 tests
Includes 10 docs & 43 tests
Includes 16 docs & 55 tests
Quantitative Aptitude for CLAT
Includes 21 docs & 31 tests
Includes 10 tests
Similarly, prepare for other sections of CLAT here
How to prepare Legal Aptitude for CLAT 2021?
How to prepare Numerical Ability for CLAT 2021?
How to prepare General Knowledge for CLAT 2021?
How to prepare English for CLAT 2021?