RECONSTITUTION OF NATIONAL INTEGRATION COUNCIL
Why in News
In the backdrop of due Ayodhya verdict, the reconstitution of the National Integration Council (NIC) has gained prominence.
National Integration Council
• It is an extra-constitutional body.
• Chaired by: Prime Minister of India.
• Composition: Council members include Cabinet ministers, Chief Ministers of states, political leaders, Chairman of the University Grants Commission, Commissioner for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, representatives of industry, business and trade unions.
• Background: The NIC was constituted to combat the evils of communalism, casteism, regionalism, and linguism as a follow up of National Integration Conference held under the chairmanship of the then Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1961.
• Meetings: Sixteen meetings of NIC have been held till 2019.
|1. What is the reconstitution of the National Integration Council?|
|2. What is the purpose of the National Integration Council?|
|3. How does the reconstitution of the National Integration Council impact national integration efforts?|
|4. Who is responsible for the reconstitution of the National Integration Council?|
|5. What are the expected outcomes of the National Integration Council's reconstitution?|