10.1. WOMEN ENTREPRENEURSHIP PORTAL AND UDYAM SAKHI PORTAL
Why in news?
Recently, NITI Aayog launched Women Entrepreneurship Portal (WEP) and Ministry of MSME launched Udyam Sakhi Portal on World Women’s Day.
About the Women Entrepreneurship Portal
• It will provide vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem free of gender-based barriers and cater to all age-groups along with women who take break in their career and prepare them for the next wave of New India.
• It aspires to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs by providing them opportunities through services such as credit evaluation of women-led startups by CRISIL and potential equity investments through an INR 10 crore fund established by DICE Districts
• Some aims of WEP includes - industry linkages, increasing visibility of existing schemes, identify and address issues, developing a centralised national database for registering women entrepreneurs etc.
About Udyam Sakhi Portal
• The portal has been launched for nurturing social entrepreneurship creating business models revolving around low-cost products and services to resolve social inequities and make women self-sufficient and selfreliant.
• It will provide assistance for entrepreneurial learning tools, incubation facility, training programs for fund raising, providing mentors, one-to-one investor meet, providing market survey facility and technical assistance.
• The initiative is in sync with the Make in India and Start up India Initiative and will provide benefits to around 8 million women entrepreneurs in India.
10.2. INCREDIBLE INDIA 2.0 CAMPAIGN
Why in news?
• The Ministry of Tourism has launched the Incredible India 2.0 campaign to promote various destinations and tourism products of the country in important and potential source markets overseas.
More on news
• The Incredible India campaign was first conceptualized in 2002 with the primary objective of creating a distinctive identity of the country.
• The campaign successfully established India as a high-end destination and generating 16% in tourism traffic in the first year.
• The new campaign has been launched with the objective of doubling tourism traffic from both foreign and domestic tourists.
• The campaign will mark a shift from generic promotions across the world to market specific promotional plans, content creation and use of thematic creatives.
• Apart from promoting flora and fauna, the tourism will also focus on spiritual, wellness and medical tourism.
10.3. NATIONAL VIRTUAL LIBRARY
Why in News?
• Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) launched the National Virtual Library of India.
About National Virtual Library
• It will be a multi-lingual online platform, of the collection of documents, books, audio-visual of different subjects.
• It is a part of the National Mission on Libraries.
• The platform will be freely accessible for editing or contributions from outsiders or subject experts, making it more user-friendly.
• Other partnering institutions for this project include IITMumbai, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Raja Ram Mohan Roy Library Foundation, Kolkata, and Kalyani University, West Bengal.
About Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
• C-DAC is R&D organization of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
• Its projects include Supercomputer PARAM, Indian Language Computing Solutions with setting up of GIST group (Graphics and Intelligence based Script Technology) etc.
10.4. INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION NETWORK CONFERENCE
Why in news?
• The Competition Commission of India hosted the 17th annual conference of International Competition Network (ICN).
More on news
• ICN is an informal network comprising 138 competition authorities from 125 jurisdictions.
• The ICN advocates adoption of superior standards and procedures in competition enforcement around the world, formulates proposals for procedural and substantive convergence, and facilitates effective international cooperation to the benefit of member agencies, consumers and economies worldwide.
• This is the first time India is hosting the ICN2018 Annual Conference since it joined International Competition Network (ICN) in 2009.
10.5. KERALA’S ENERGY-POSITIVE CAMPUS
• The Energy Management Centre (EMC), an autonomous institution under the Kerala government, has grabbed the global spotlight for its energy-positive campus, located at Sreekaryam in the State capital.
• The ‘Global Status Report 2017: Towards a zero-emission, efficient, and resilient buildings and construction sector’, published by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), has listed it as one of the recent achievements in the deployment of key technologies for energy-efficiency in buildings.
• It is the only one from India to figure in the list, along with five other projects worldwide.
Why in news?
Madhya Pradesh has won the Geographical Indication (GI) tag for Kadaknath, a black-feathered chicken.
Details about Kadaknath
• It is found mainly in the tribal district of Jhabua in MP.
• Chhattisgarh was too claiming over the Chicken after its successful breeding project in Dantewada, but the claim got rejected.
• Kadaknath is in demand because of its flavourful meat and also due to its low cholesterol and high protein content.
• The GI tag will ensure that no one else can use the name Kadaknath while selling any other black chicken and will also translate into higher prices for producers.
10.7. PRITZKER PRIZE
Why in news?
Balkrishna V. Doshi is the first Indian who won the prestigious Pritzker Prize for his innovative work of designing low-cost housing.
About Pritzker Prize
• Pritzker Prize is awarded each year to a living architect for his/her significant achievements and is also referred to as Architecture’s Nobel and the profession’s highest honour.
About Balakrishna Doshi
• Balakrishna Doshi is an Ahmedabad based architect and educator.
• He had been awarded Padma Shri and had established many institutions such as Vastu-Shilpa Foundation, Sanganth Studio, School of Architecture in Ahmedabad etc.
• He was also associated with Le Corbusier’s projects in Chandigarh and Ahmedabad.