1. What were the preparations in the palace for?
Ans. There were preparations for a grand feast in the palace.
2. Why did the Maharaja go into the kitchen in the afternoon?
Ans. The Maharaja went into the kitchen to see what dishes had been prepared for the feast.
3. What had the cook planned to do with the vegetable scraps?
Ans. The cook had planned to throw away the vegetable scraps.
4. State whether the following are True of False.
(i) The king had ordered a dinner in the palace.
(ii) No one had heard of or tasted avial before.
(iii) The cook had planned to make another dish using the vegetable scraps.
5. A recipe is a list of directions to prepare dish. The following sentences are not in order for preparing avial. Number them in the correct order.
(3) Grind some coconut, green chillies and garlic.
(2) Cut the vegetables scraps into long strips.
(1) Wash and clean the mix of vegetable bits.
(6) Decorate with curry leaves.
(4) Whip some curd and mix it in.
(5) Pour some coconut oil on top.
(7) Avail is ready.
6. Given in the box are some things that children do after they reach home from school. Choose five things that you do when you reach home from school. Write them in order.
Ans. First, I put away school bag.
Then, I change out of school uniform.
Next, I wash up.
After that, I have lunch.
Finally, I do the homework.
7. The Maharaja was a wise man and ordered the cook to use the vegetable scraps instead of throwing them away.
(a) Name some of the things which are thrown away at home or in school.
Ans. Scraps of paper, cardboard boxes, used up ball pens, vegetable peels, leaves and twigs, left over food etc. are thrown away at home or in school.
(b) Sit in group of four and think of interesting ways in which they can be made useful?
Ans. We can make things of papier-mache, decorative articles and compost with them.
8. Some words have more than one meaning.
For example, point-
Meanings: noun: a dot in print or writing, full stop, decimal the numbers you score in a game
Verb: to show or call attention to something
Ans. Ground n. surface of the earth; an area which is used for a particular purpose
v. past tense of grind
Survey n. detailed investigation
v. look carefully
Scrap n. waste material, fragment
v. get rid of something or cancel it.
Sternly adv. Discard as useless
Tempting adj. alluring; tantalizing.
9. Make new words by adding/dropping a few letters form the root word.
10. Do any of these words use all of four endings?
Ans. Yes, tasty and clean use all of four endings.
11. Name food that is made in your home.
(i) for a feast/festival.
Ans. Sweet dishes, kheer, several vegetables, dahi-bara etc.
(ii) when you are unwell.
Ans. Khichri and Daliya.
Ans. Chapatis, vegetables, pulse, rice, curd and salad.