NCERT Solution - Chapter 3 : ROBINSON CRUSOE, Class 5, English
1. What made Robinson Crusoe think that the print on the ground was a footprint?
Ans. Robinson Crusoe thought that the print was a footprint because it had toes, heel and all parts of a human foot.
2. Why was Robinson afraid when he looked at the bushes and trees?
Ans. He was afraid because he mistook every bush and every tree to be a man.
3. Why did Robinson pray when he saw the footprint?
Ans. Robinson thought it was the footprint of a savage. He was afraid that savages would kill and eat him. So he prayed for protection.
4. Choose the right answer.
(i) Robinson ran back to his home, as fast he could because he
(a) was racing
(b) was afraid
(c) was in a hurry to go home
Ans. (b) was afraid.
(ii) He could not sleep because
(a) there was an animal outside his cave.
(b) he thought savages had come from the mainland
(c) his bed was uncomfortable.
Ans. (b) he thought savages had come from the mainland.
iii) Why was Robinson Crusoe sure that was not his footprint?
(a) It didn’t look like a human footprint.
(b) It looked smaller than this.
(c)He had not come to this part of the beach in a long time.
Ans. (c) He had not come to this part of the beach in a long time.
(iv) Where was Robinson Crusoe?
(a) On a boat.
(b) In a town.
(c) Alone an island.
(d) On an aeroplane.
Ans. (c) Alone an island.
5. How would you feel if you saw unknown footprints outside your front door?
Ans. I would like the Robinson Crusoe.
6. If you were alone at home and suddenly someone knocked at your door, what would you do?
Ans. I will go to the door and peep through the hole to see that who is there. Then I’ll ask, who’s there? If there is someone whom I know I shall open the door. Otherwise, I’ll tell him to come later.
7. The words in the sentences are jumbled.
(a) alone was not Robinson an island an
Ans. Robinson was not alone on an island.
(b) was island the inhabited.
Ans. The island was inhabited.
(c) footprint to someone this belonged.
Ans. This footprint belonged to someone.
(d) I around me looked.
Ans. I looked around me.
(e) I went the towards footprint large.
Ans. I went towards the large footprint.
(f) was afraid I now.
Ans. I was afraid now.
8. Fill in the blanks with the correct word.
(a) I was frightened ___ curious.
(b) I decided to go to the beach ____ I went along the water’s edge.
(c) I ran as fast as I could ___ I was frightened.
(d) I was very tired ___ confused.
9. Write a story on strange footprints.
· Where did you see the footprints.
· What sort of a day was it?
· Did you see them at night?
· What happened when you followed the footprints?
· What did you see?
· What happened then?
Ans. “Story on Strange Footprints”
One day I was sitting alone in a park. A part of the track was muddy. Suddenly, I saw footprints being made on the mud. I followed the footprints. But there was none. New footprints were appearing as if someone was walking away – whether it was a ghost or an invisible man? I could not decide then I come back.