A. Answer the following questions.
1. Why did Taro run in the direction of the stream? (5)
Answer Taro run in the direction of the stream because earlier he had never heard or seen a rushing stream in the forest also he was thirsty.
2. How did Taro’s father show his happiness after drinking saké? (7)
Answer After drinking saké, Taro’s father show his happiness by doing a little dance in the middle of the floor.
3. Why did the waterfall give Taro saké and others water? (12)
Answer The waterfall give Taro saké and others water because he was a thoughtful son who honoured and obeyed his parents always and worked very hard to give them everything they needed while others were greedy.
4. Why did the villagers want to drown Taro? (10,11)
Answer The villagers want to drown Taro because they thought that he had tricked them by telling that stream gives saké.
5. Why did the Emperor reward Taro? (13)
Answer The emperor rewarded Taro for as he honoured and obeyed his parents. This was done to encourage all the children to honor and obey their parents.
B. Mark the right item.
1. Taro earned very little money because
(i) he didn’t work hard enough.
(ii) the villagers didn’t need wood.
(iii) the price of wood was very low.
► (iii) the price of wood was very low.
2. Taro decided to earn extra money
(i) to live a more comfortable life.
(ii) to buy his old father some saké.
(iii) to repair the cracks in the hut.
► (ii) to buy his old father some saké.
3. The neighbour left Taro’s hut in a hurry because
(i) she was delighted with the drink.
(ii) she was astonished to hear Taro’s story.
(iii) she wanted to tell the whole village about the waterfall.
► (iii) she wanted to tell the whole village about the waterfall