UPSC : National Commission for SCs Notes | EduRev
The document National Commission for SCs Notes | EduRev is a part of UPSC
All you need of UPSC at this link: UPSC
- National Commission for Scheduled Castes is a Constitutional body as it is established by Article 338.
- Originally, Art 338 provided for a Special Officer for SCs & STs who was designated as a Commissioner.
- In 1978, Govt through a resolution estb a multi-member commission for SCs & STs. In 1987, the Govt passed a resolution to modify this Commission and renamed it as National Commission for SCs and STs.
- The 65th Const Amd 1990 replaced the Special Officer for SCs & STs with the National Commission for SCs and STs.
- The 89th Amd 2003, bifurcated the Commission into separate National Commission for SCs (Art 338) & National Commission for STs (338-A).
- National Commission for SCs came into existence in 2004. It has a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson & 3 other members. They are appointed by President who also decides their Condition of service & tenure.
Functions of the Commission
- To investigate & monitor all matters relating to Constitutional & other Safeguards for the SCs.
- To inquire into specific complaints with respect to violation of rights & safeguards of the SCs.
- To participate & advice on planning process of socio-economic development of the SCs & to evaluate their development at the Centre or States.
- To present to the Prez reports annually or earlier, upon the working of the safeguards.
- To make recommendations to the Union or a state as to the measures to be taken in order to ensure effective implementation of safeguards.
- To discharge such other functions in relation to the protection & welfare of SCs as the Prez may specify.
Powers of the Commission
- Commission is vested with power to regulate its own procedure.
- The commission while investigating any matter or inquiring into any complaint will have powers equivalent to a civil court in following respects :
≫ Summoning & enforcing attendance of any person under oath.
≫ Requiring discovery & production of any document.
≫ Receiving evidence in affidavits.
≫ Requisitioning any public record from any court.
≫ Issuing summons for examination of witnesses & documents.
≫ Any other matter which the President may determine.
- Central & State Govt are required to consult the commission on all major policy matters affecting SCs.
- Commission is also required to discharge similar functions for OBCs & Anglo-Indian Community as it does for SCs.