States Current Affairs 06.09.17
300 government schools in Rajasthan to operate on PPP model.
- The Vasundhara Raje cabinet on Tuesday cleared the Policy for Public Private Partnership (PPP) in School Education-2017, paving way for government schools to operate on PPP model.
- In its first phase and on a pilot basis, 300 in the rural areas would be put up to be run on PPP mode. These are among the 9895 secondary and higher secondary government schools across the state. The policy does not extend to those located in cities, district headquarters and the Aadarsh Vidyalayas. Schools, which have recorded poor results, would be handed over to private partners.
- The government teachers and non-teaching staff presently working at these schools would be accommodated at other schools.
Google signs MoU for digital Gujarat.
- Gujarat government has signed an MoU with Google India towards actualizing the 'Digital Gujarat' movement under 'Digital India'.
- Under the MoU Google will train small and medium scale entrepreneurs the use of digital platform for business development under the 'Digital Unlocked' programme,and will provide 'cloud' facility up to $20,000 to recognized startups.
- Google will help to develop skills in the use of modern mobiles and web technology, train degree, diploma and science postgraduate students in 'Google Android Fundamentals' and 'Mobile Development'.
15 killed during immersion of Ganesh idols in Maharashtra
- Fifteen people died during idol immersion proceedings this Ganesh Chaturthi in Maharashtra, as thousands of devotees bid adieu to the elephant-headed God in various corners of the state.
- The famous 'Lalbaughcha Raja' idol was immersed in the Arabian Sea off Girgaum Chowpatty in south Mumbai this morning after a 22-hour long procession.
- Around 7,000 'sarvajanik' (public) idols and over 33,000 'gharguti' (home) idols were immersed here till 7 am today at various spots, which included beaches, natural and artificial ponds, an official from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) .
No misuse of funds, Madhya Pradesh government tells HC
- The discretion of release of compensation rests with chief minister and the funds are subject to audit, thus, there can be no misuse of funds, said the state government in its reply submitted before the Indore bench of Madhya Pradesh high court.
- Responding to allegation made by the petitioner that taxpayer's money was being misused by the chief minister by distributing it to people whose involvement in the protest had not been investigated, the state said that the chief minister has the power to give monetary relief from the Mukhya Mantri Swechha Anudaan.
- The state has sought for the petition to be dismissed as most of the relief regarding independent inquiry, establishing public peace and order and taking action against violent protesters have already been given through various orders by the state government.
Chhattisgarh boy's short film earns applause at 'Swachh' fest
- A five minute short film by AmirHashmi from Chhattisgarh received a lot of acclaim at the 'Swachh Bharat' short film festival.
- The festival was organised by the ministry of information and broadcasting, along with National Film Development Corporation.
- The short film titled 'Mirror', which also stars director Amir as the protagonist, is the story of a recluse who realizes the importance of cleanliness through a mirror found in a bin that shows him a reflection of his former self.
Patna university heritage buildings stand neglected.
- Even as the 100-year-old Patna University (PU) is likely to get heritage tag from the UGC shortly due to the recent initiative taken by vice-chancellor (VC) Ras Bihari Prasad Singh, most of its old buildings are ill-maintained. The state government had launched a special drive to protect the old buildings four years ago, but nothing concrete happened.
- The 154-year-old Patna College is not only the oldest institution of higher education in Bihar, but also a mother of host of institutions.
Jharkhand Governor gives assent to Religious Freedom Bill, 2017.
- Jharkhand Governor Draupadi Murmu gave her assent to the Jharkhand Religious Freedom Bill, 2017. The state government will now issue notification on the Religious Freedom Bill, after which it will become an Act. With this Jharkhand, become seventh state in the country to have anti-conversion law. Other six states with similar law are Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
- The Bill seeks to bring stringent anti-conversion law in place under which forceful or allurement induced religious conversion will be non-bailable criminal offence.
- The violation of this section will result in punishment upto 3 years imprisonment or Rs 50000 penalty or both.
15 mini stadiums to come up in rural areas of Bareilly district.
- In an effort to provide infrastructure to youths from rural areas to develop their career in sports, the regional sports authorities will soon be constructing as many as 15 mini stadiums across Bareilly districts — each at a cost of Rs 2.97 crore.
- The proposal — a part of the central government’s sports scheme ‘Khelo India’— will soon be sent to the state government for approval. The stadium in Bareilly city, which is likely to come up at a cost of around Rs 50 crore, will be developed on the premises vacated by Navodya Vidyalaya. The proposal is underway.
Uttarakhand gets 367 guards for 10 jails across state.
- In a big relief for jails across Uttarakhand that were reeling under acute staff crisis, 367 guards were appointed in 10 prisons located in various districts of the state. These guards have completed their training and will soon serve in the correctional facilities.
- The government had earlier also told the HC that 40 acre of land will be allocated in Udham Singh Nagar for building a new district jail.
- The authorities had also told the court that the budget to provide facilities such as washrooms and kitchens for inmates is "very limited" and "it was expected that in the next budget proper arrangements would be made for providing funds to meet these requirements.
HP CM says government extending top priority to exploring hydro power potential.
- Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh said that state government is extending top priority for expeditious exploitation of hydro power potential which is very important resource for economic development of the state.
- Power sector is critical to the development of the economy as development in all other sectors depend largely on the availability of power.
- Hydro power sector has witnessed declining trends in past few years, but there is no need for worry as every sector passes through such phase.
- To embark upon ambitious programme in the hydel generation the state government in 2006 formulated its own hydro power policy in 2006. This was formulated with a view to maintain a delicate balance to safeguard the interest of the people and to maintain a delicate ecology and environmental safeguards.
Heli Tourism’ to become a reality in Tirupati.
- The much awaited ‘Heli Tourism’ initiative by the Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (APTDC) is all set to become a reality in the temple city, as the officials announced that a permanent facility would be constructed at Shilparamam's Urban Haat by the end of this year. mainly to cater to the devotees visiting Tirupati and Tirumala, ahead of the Srivari Brahmotsavams, scheduled to commence on October 23.
- Once operational they can organise a minimum of 10 trips per day, depending on the weather conditions, covering Tiruchanur, Chandragiri and Srinivasa Mangapuram (a tentative route).
Assam government launched Northeast first digital archive
- Assam government today launched the first digital archive of the Northeast at Jyoti Chitraban Film Studio here to preserve films, music, special events, photographs and texts.
- First community news portal of the Northeast was also launched as part of the digital archive which will give a platform to the youngsters and artistically enthusiastic individuals to publish news items, articles and creative writing.
- An official website of Jyoti Chitraban Digital Archive was also launched at the event.