Summary in English- Two Stories About Flying Part-I
(This is an imaginary story of a young seagull. The time had come when he must learn how to fly. His two brothers and a little sister had learned how to fly by emulating their parents. They had simply run to the brink of the ledge, flapped their wings and flown away. But when the young seagull came to the brink and tried to fly in the air, he became afraid. He felt sure that if he tried to fly, he would fall into the sea below. So he ran back to his hole on the ledge.
The seagull’s parents came to take him along with them. But he refused to fly. They threatened that he would starve on the ledge. But the bird was too afraid to move. Twenty four hours passed. The seagull had not eaten anything. He began to feel very hungry. He saw his mother sitting on a plateau. She was eating a fish. This sight only increased his hunger. He requested his mother to bring him some food. The mother looked at him derisively. But then she picked up a piece of fish and flew towards him.
The mother did not come to him. She halted her wings and became motionless. The seagull wondered why she was not coming near him. He could not bear it any longer. He was maddened by hunger. He dived at fish. He could not reach his mother but fell from the ledge downwards into space. He was filled with fear and Cried. But this fear lasted only a minute. He spread his wings and tried to fly. Suddenly he found that he was flying. He cried with joy and started flying higher and higher. His parents, brothers, and sister flew around him and screamed with joy.
After some time, the seagull’s parents, brothers, and sisters landed on the sea. They asked him to come there. The seagull thought that it was green flooring. He dropped his legs to stand on the green sea. His legs sank into it and he cried with fear. But his belly touched the water and he did not drown. He began to float on the sea. His family members praised him and gave him pieces of fish to eat. Thus the seagull had made his first flight.
SHORT SUMMARY (2)
- Young Seagull Afraid to Fly: The young seagull was alone on his ledge. His two brothers and his sister had already learned the art of flying only the day before. He did try. He had taken a little run forward and tried to flap his wings. But that was all he could do. He became afraid. He felt that his wings would not support him. So he bent his head and ran away back to the little hole where he slept at night. His brothers and his sister had wings far shorter than his own wings. But he failed to muster up the courage and fly. His parents taunted, scolded and threatened him to leave him starving at the ledge unless he flew away. But nothing could make him fly.
- Parents Perfecting Brothers and Sister: The seagull helplessly watched his parents flying with his brothers and sister. They were Perfecting them in the art of flying. They were teaching them how to skim the waves and how to dive for fish. The whole family went on taunting him for his cowardice.
- Maddened by Hunger, He Dived at the Fish: Only his mother was looking at him. She had picked a piece of fish. She was flying across to him with it. He leaned out eagerly. The mother was very near to him with the fish in her beak. Maddened by hunger, he dived at the fish. With a loud scream, he fell outwards and downwards into space. A terror seized him. His heart stood still. His mother swooped past him. He answered her with another scream. He saw his two brothers and sister flying around him.
- First Flight: The seagull completely forgot that he was not able to fly. He let himself free to dive, soar and curve at will. He was shrieking shrilly. He saw a green sea beneath him. His parents, his brothers, and sister were beckoning to him calling shrilly. He was tired and weak with hunger. His feet sank into the green sea and his belly touched it. He sank no farther. His family was praising him and their beaks were offering him scraps of fish. He had made his first flight.
Main Points of the Story
- The young seagull was sitting alone on his ledge.
- His two brothers and his sister had already learned how to fly a day before.
- The young seagull was hesitant and afraid of flying.
- He thought that his wings would not support him.
- His parents, brothers, and sister regularly taunted him for his cowardice.
- He saw his mother holding a piece of fish in her beak.
- Maddened by hunger, he dived at the fish.
- With a loud scream, he fell outwards and downwards into space.
- He was seized with terror.
- His wings were cutting through the air and he was not falling headlong now.
- Then he completely forgot that he had never flown before.
- Now, he was flying over the sea.
- He was floating on the sea and his family was praising him, offering him pieces of fish.