Syllabus for General Aptitude (GA)
(COMMON TO ALL PAPERS)
Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups,
instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction.
Numerical Ability: Numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data
1. Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigenvectors.
2. Calculus: Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Taylor series,
Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total
derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities, Directional
derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
3. Differential equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear
differential equations with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and
boundary value problems, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one dimensional heat and wave
equations and Laplace equation.
4. Complex variables: Complex number, polar form of complex number, triangle inequality.
5. Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional
probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, Normal
and Binomial distributions, Linear regression analysis.
6. Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations.
Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule. Single and multi-step methods for numerical
solution of differential equations.
7. Petroleum Exploration: Classification and description of some common rocks with special
reference to clastic and nonclastic reservoir rocks. Origin, migration and accumulation of
Petroleum. Petroleum exploration methods.
8. Oil and Gas Well Drilling Technology: Well planning. Drilling method. Drilling rigs Rig
operating systems. Drilling fluids function and properties. Drilling fluid maintenance
equipment. Oil & gas well cementing operations. Drill bit types and their applications. Drill
string & Casing string function, operations, selection & design. Drilling problems, their control
& remedies. Directional drilling tools. Directional survey. Application of horizontal, multilateral,
extended reach, slim wells.
9. Reservoir Engineering: Petrophysical properties of reservoir rocks. Coring and core
analysis. Reservoir fluid properties. Phase behavior of hydrocarbon system. Flow of fluids
through porous media. Water and gas coning. Reservoir pressure measurements. Reservoir
drives, drive mechanics and recovery factors. Reserve estimation & techniques.
10. Petroleum Production Operations: Well equipments. Well completion techniques. Well
production problems and mitigation. Well servicing & Workover operations. Workover &
completion fluids. Formation damage. Well stimulation techniques. Artificial lift techniques.
Field processing of oil & gas. Storage and transportation of petroleum and petroleum
products. Metering and measurements oil & gas. Production system analysis & optimization.
Production testing. Multiphase flow in tubing and flow-lines. Nodal system analysis. Pressure
vessels, storage tanks, shell and tube heat exchangers, pumps and compressors, LNG value
11. Offshore Drilling and Production Practices: Offshore oil and gas operations & ocean
environment. Offshore fixed platforms, Offshore mobile units, Station keeping methods like
mooring & dynamic positioning system. Offshore drilling from fixed platform, jack-up, ships
and semi submersibles. Use of conductors and risers. Offshore well completion. Deep water
applications of subsea technology. Offshore production: Oil processing platforms, water
injection platforms, storage, SPM and SBM transportation and utilities. Deep water drilling rig.
Deep water production system. Emerging deep water technologies.
12. Petroleum Formation Evaluation: Evaluation of petrophysical of sub-surface formations:
Principles applications, advantages and disadvantages of SP, resistivity, radioactive, acoustic
logs and types of tools used. Evaluation of CBL/VDL, USIT, SFT, RFT. Production logging
tools, principles, limitations and applications. Special type of logging tools. Casing inspection
tools (principles, applications and limitations), Formations micro scanner (FMS), NMR logging
principles. Standard log interpretation methods. Cross-plotting methods.
13. Oil and Gas Well Testing: Diffusivity equation, derivation & solutions. Radius of
investigation. Principle of superposition. Horner’s approximation. Drill Stem Testing. Pressure
Transient Tests: Drawdown and build up-test analysis. Wellbore effects. Multilayer reservoirs.
Injection well testing. Multiple well testing. Interference testing, Pulse testing, well-test
analysis by use of type curves. Gas well testing.
14. Health Safety and Environment in Petroleum Industry: Health hazards in Petroleum
Industry: Toxicity, Physiological, Asphyxiation, respiratory and skin effect of petroleum
hydrocarbons, sour gases. Safety System: Manual & automatic shutdown system, blow down
systems. Gas detection system. Fire detection and suppression systems. Personal protection
system & measures. HSE Policies. Disaster & crisis management in Petroleum Industry.
Environment: Environment concepts, impact on eco-system, air, water and soil. The impact of
drilling & production operations on environment, Environmental transport of petroleum wastes.
Offshore environmental studies. Offshore oil spill and oil spill control. Waste treatment
15. Enhanced Oil Recovery Techniques: Basic principles and mechanism of EOR, Screening
of EOR process. Concept of pattern flooding, recovery efficiency, permeability heterogeneity.
Macroscopic and microscopic displacement efficiency. EOR methods: Chemical flooding,
Miscible flooding, Thermal recoveries (steam stimulation, hot water & steam flooding, in-situ
combustion), Microbial EOR.
16. Latest trends in Petroleum Engineering: Coal bed methane, shale gas, oil shale, gas
hydrate, and heavy oil.