Important News – India
1. Exit from the Lockdown report has been prepared by which organization _____CII.
➢ The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in its report titled “Exit from the Lockdown: A CII Strategy” has recommended phase-wise lifting of the lockdown based on the incidence of COVID cases.
➢ In this regard, the report made three classifications of geographies as red, amber and green.
➢ In the first phase, partial open up (25%) of manufacturing, e-commerce and construction is to be permitted. In the second phase, all other sectors could resumed –Five aspects to be considered while restarting the economy
2. Fit India in collaboration with the which organization is organizing a first-of-a-kind live fitness session under its Fit India Active Day programme for school children across the country _______CBSE.
➢ The decision has been taken due to the nation-wide lockdown till May 3, 2020, to counter COVID-19 which has restricted the activities of children.
➢ These online sessions will enable children to practice fitness even at home in order to remain healthy.
➢ The guidelines of the Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurvedic, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) to stay healthy and to build immunity will also be shared with students during this programme.
3. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has announced a training program on COVID-19 for which intergovernmental organization ________SAARC.
➢ It will be carried out by the Central Government’s Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme.
➢ It is to take forward the Prime Minister’s (PM) ‘Prepare Not Panic’ for ‘SAARC fights Corona’.
➢ PM Narendra Modi has suggested that the health professionals of the member nations come together to fight the coronavirus pandemic at the India-initiated video conference of SAARC leaders on March 15.
4. Which National park becomes the India’s 1st quarantine centre for animals _______Jim Corbett National Park.
➢ Jim Corbett National Park has become the India’s 1st quarantine centre for animals with symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19).
➢ It is India’s oldest forested wildlife sanctuary located in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand.
➢ At least 10 quarantine centers are being set up within the complex to handle the corona virus prey animals & Cameras will be installed in the park to monitor the cold and cough symptoms of animals.
5. Who chaired the National Conference on Kharif crops 2020 by video conference _________Narendra Singh Tomar.
➢ During the conference the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar said that all states should aim to achieve the kharif target and also the doubling of farmers’ income should be taken up in mission mode.
➢ The main aim of the conference was to discuss various issues & to list the steps with the states on the preparedness for Kharif cultivation due to the lockdown situation.
6. Which committee submitted its report on “valuation professionals” and proposed an institutional framework for valuers by setting up National Institute of Valuers (NIV) ________M S Sahoo Committee.
➢ The government-appointed 8-member committee of experts headed by IBBI Chairperson M S Sahoo
➢ The Committee has submitted its report on “valuation professionals” and proposed an institutional framework for valuers by setting up National Institute of Valuers (NIV).
➢ In this regard the committee has submitted its report to the Government of India on March 31, 2020 along with Draft Valuers Bill, 2020, recommending to establish a National Institute of Valuers, which is now open for comments till May 14, 2020.
7. Who attended the Plenary Meeting of the International Monetary and Financial Committee (IMFC) of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) through video conferencing _______Nirmala Sitharaman.
➢ The discussion in the meeting is based on IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva global policy agenda titled, “Exceptional Times – Exceptional Action”.
➢ IMFC’s members updated the committee on the measures & actions taken by the member countries to combat COVID-19 & remarked on IMF’s crisis-response package to address global liquidity and members’ financing needs.
8. National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Hyderabad is training community leaders online to combat COVID-19 in collaboration with ______UNICEF.
➢ Both the organization is is training over 28.33 lakh community leaders through online programs to practice social behaviours required to control the transmission of COVID-19 cases in villages in association with the governments of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh (AP) and Karnataka.
➢ The online training program was initiated along the line of a detailed risk communication plan to build capacities of panchayat raj institutions (PRI), self-help groups (SHG), National Service Scheme (NSS) officials, volunteers and community radio stations (CRS) to control the spread of Coronavirus in their groups and village communities.
9. The ministry of finance has increased the coverage of lender’s loss in case of loan default under the Credit Guarantee Fund for Micro Units (CGFMU) scheme to _________75%.
➢ The aim of the amendment is to incentivise lending to micro businesses which bear the impact of coronavirus outbreak & the lockdown.
➢ Lenders can pay a fee for the portfolio of loans they want to cover under the guarantee, which enables them to lend easily while improving profitability
➢ The lender’s burden under the scheme has reduced from the first 5% of the amount in default to 3%.
10. What amount has been released by the central government to to State & UTs under MGNREGS ________7,300 crores.
➢ The Central Government has released 7,300 crore rupees to the States and Union Territories (UT) under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) to liquidate pending dues of last financial year but also the wages dues for the first fortnight of 2020-21.
➢ Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar conducted a detailed review of all flagship schemes of the Rural Development and said that MGNREGS works in Non-Containment Areas with adequate focus on social distancing, must be resumed in an efficient manner.
11. Who attended G20 Health Ministers Meeting held via video conference to control COVID-19 _______Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
➢ An international forum of Health Ministers of G20 countries was held on April 19, 2020, via Video Conference.
➢ Global Preparedness Monitoring Board (GPMB) estimated that, Over $8 billion is required to combat the COVID19 pandemic .
➢ The objective behind this meet was to discuss weaknesses in health systems that made the world vulnerable to the coronavirus outbreak to pursue unified efforts towards mitigation of COVID-19.
12. Who will head the high level task force for vaccine and drug testing for coronavirus disease _____Vinod Paul and Krishnaswamy VijayRaghavan.
➢ The objective of the task force is to catalyze national and international efforts towards vaccine development to treat Covid-19.
➢ The task force members include Director General of Health Services, Dr. Rajiv Garg, Drug Controller General of India, Dr. VG Somani and representatives of Ayush (Ayurvedic, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) ministry, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), department of biotechnology, among others.
Important News – State
1. Which becomes the first state to integrate allopathy and Ayurveda to treat COVID-19 patients ______Goa.
➢ Goa Chief Minister (CM) Pramod Sawant announced that Goa becomes the first state to integrate allopathy and Ayurveda to treat COVID-19 patients and those who have been quarantined.
➢ The CM also added that although Ayurveda cannot cure COVID-19, it will certainly boost patients’ immunity.
2. Which becomes the first state to initiate Pool Testing of COVID-19 _______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has given its approval for pool testing to Uttar Pradesh (UP), making latter the first state to do so.
➢ The decision has been taken to maximize the sample testing on a daily basis as the cases of COVID-19 positive patients are increasing in the state.
3. Which becomes the first state in the country to carry out Rapid Testing for Covid 19 ______Rajasthan.
➢ State’s urban primary health centre of TopkhanaDesh (also known as Jaju Dispensary) in Jaipur started rapid tests at 5 p.m where 52 persons were tested and all were found COVID-19 negative.
➢ This test will be done at a large scale to assess the prevalence of Covid 19 in hotspots or red zones.
➢ Apart from this, Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests or laboratory tests will continue to be done in acceleration in the containment zones all over Rajasthan.
4. Which becomes the first state to geotag its community kitchens and community shelters _______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The Yogi Adityanath State government has also tied up with Google to “Geo-map” for the location of all these establishments through the Google Maps app for ease of beneficiaries.
➢ Out of these 7,368 community kitchens, 668 are being run by NGOs (Non-Governmental Organisations), religious institutions and more than 2 crore food packets have been distributed in UP since March 25, 2020.
➢ Relief Commissioner Sanjay Goyal, added that the concept of relief camps and community kitchens is not new as every year, the DMs (District Magistrates) work out similar plans in areas affected by yearly droughts and floods
5. Border Roads Organisation has constructed 430 feet long bailey “Daporijo bridge” in which state _____Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ The bridge was inaugurated by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu over video conferencing.
➢ The bridge is built over Subansiri River the largest tributary of Brahamputra.
➢ The new bridge will provide adequate movement of supplies for 451 villages and approximately 3,000 security force personnel deployed along the India-China border. The bridge replaced an older bridge in Daporijo, which was constructed in 1992.
6. Which state government has rolled out “e-sanjeevani-opd” for free online medical consultation to sick people______Himachal Pradesh.
➢ The “e-sanjeevani-opd” has been launched to provide free online medical consultation to sick people at their residence throughout the state.
➢ Hence, through this new initiative, the Himachal Pradesh government will ensure the facility of health services to the people in the wake of COVID-19 Pandemic.
Important News – World
1. Which country has stopped its funding towards World Health Organization (WHO) ______ United States.
➢ The United States provides 400-500 million USD to the organization annually.
➢ The American President Donald Trump was threatening the world organization that the United States would freeze its funding. The President has now stopped the funding completely accusing the organization being completely China-centric.
2. South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu affected by which cyclone for which UN releases $ 2.5 million _______ Harold.
➢ The United Nations (UN) humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock announced and released 2.5 million dollar from its emergency humanitarian fund to help thousands of people in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu.
➢ The island nation is affected by Cyclone Harold.
➢ The cyclone made landfall on the largest island in Vanuatu, Espiritu Santo.
3. Special ASEAN Summit and special ASEAN plus 3 summits held via video conferencing was chaired by ________ Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of Vietnam.
➢ The summit was attended by heads of state or government of the 10 ASEAN members– Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
➢ The objective behind this summit was to discuss measures relating to containing and preventing the spread of COVID-19 and to support people in the countries hit by the disease.
4. In accordance with the Gartner 2019 Digital Workplace Survey which country becomes the world’s most digitally dexterous (skilful) country in the world _________India.
➢ India has a vast Gen Z workforce who are keen to learn new digitally powered skills in the workplace.
➢ India is followed by the United Kingdom (UK) and United States (US).
➢ It should be noted that Generation Z or Gen Z are the ones born between 1995 and 2009.
5. Which country test fired anti-ship cruise missiles as a part of military exercises recently ________North Korea.
➢ The missiles were of short range and test fired into the sea.
➢ The missiles were test fired to celebrate the birth anniversary of Kim II Sung. He was the grand father of the current North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
➢ The missiles were capable of travelling 150 kilometres. According to the South Korean officials, multiple missiles were test fired.
6. Which country becomes the first country to hold national election amidst COVID-19 pandemic ______South Korea.
➢ The ruling democratic party of President Moon Jae won the election taking 180 seats.
➢ The opposition United Future Party took 103 seats. There are 300 seats in the South Korea National Assembly.
➢ There were 14,000 polling booths set up for elections and at every polling booth the temperature of the voters was checked before they were allowed to vote.
7. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has increased the size of its COVID-19 Response Package to ______ $20 Billion.
➢ The amount in the COVID-19 Response Package was initially $6.5 billion as per announcement in March 2020 as ADB’s response to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
➢ ADB has also approved ways and means to streamline its actions for quicker and more flexible delivery of assistance.
Honor & Awards
1. Which power company won the Edison Award for social innovation _______Tata Power.
➢ The company bags the awards for its ‘Club Enerji #Switchoff2SwitchOn’ campaign. It has brought about 533 participating schools across India, saving over 29.8 million units of power since its inception in 2007.
➢ Tata Power is India’s largest integrated power company and has an installed capacity of 10,763 megawatts together with its subsidiaries and jointly controlled entities.
2. Name the Algerian Novelist who won the 13th International Prize for Arabic Fiction (IPAF) 2020 for his novel ‘The Spartan Court’ _______ Abdelouahab Aissaoui.
➢ The novel was published by Dar Min in 2018 & will receive USD 50,000 and funding will be provided for the English translation.
➢ It is shortlisted from 6 novels, where the other 5 authors will each receive USD 10,000.
➢ It is a historical novel that relates the power struggle between Ottoman and French colonial powers in Algeria where it interconnects the lives of 5 characters in Algiers at the beginning of the 19th century (1815 to 1833).
1. What is the official mascot for 4th Asian Para Games 2022 ____ ‘Fei Fei’
➢ The organizing committee of Hangzhou Asian Games, has released ‘Fei Fei’ the bird as an official mascot for 4th Asian Para Games 2022, which is scheduled to be held in Hangzhou, China from 9 – 15 October 2022.
➢ The design inspiration of “Feifei” comes from the motif of the ‘Divine Bird’ in the Liangzhu Culture and represent both Hangzhou city’s heritage and its innovation in technology.
➢ The first fei’ of the mascot represents the birds flying, implying inclusiveness, respect, and fraternity of human society, whereas the 2nd fei’ represents the mental tenacity of the athletes with disabilities pursuing dreams and reaching beyond themselves.
2. According to the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) World Ranking 2020 of senior male players which Indian player got top rank _________ Achanta Sharath Kamal.
➢ India’s table tennis star Achanta Sharath Kamal has become the top-ranked player at 31st position with 6460 points by beating Sathiyan Gnanasekaran (who slipped one place to number 32).
➢ The list has been topped by Fan Zhendong of China with 17915 points.
➢ The jump of 7 places in the rankings comes after Sharath acquired the title at the Oman Open 2020, his first ITTF title in the last 10 years.