1. Which e-commerce company announced to acquire 100% stake in Cleartrip, one of the oldest travel booking portals in India ______ Flipkart.
➢ Cleartrip will continue to operate as a separate brand and will work closely with Flipkart to further develop technology solutions.
➢ While the terms of the acquisition were not disclosed, the deal is expected to be a mix of cash and equity, likely valuing the online travel agent at around $40 million in what is considered to be a distress sale.
2. Which social media giant has signed a deal to buy renewable energy in India from a local firm's wind power project that is companies first such deal in the country ______ Facebook.
➢ The 32 megawatt wind power project, located in Karnataka, is part of a larger portfolio of wind and solar projects that Facebook and Mumbai-based CleanMax are working together on for supplying renewable power into India's electrical grid.
➢ CleanMax will own and operate the projects, while Facebook will buy the power off the grid using environmental attribute certificates, or carbon credits.
3. Which corporate group has signed an MoU with Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) to reduce its overall carbon footprint by implementing clean energy efficiency initiatives across its properties ______ Oberoi Group.
➢ EESL will collaborate with Oberoi Group Hotels to evaluate opportunities for saving energy and lowering emissions.
➢ It is the Government of India’s Energy Service Company (ESCO) and the world’s largest ESCO.
➢ It is a joint venture of 4 public sector undertakings (PSUs) of NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation, REC Limited & POWERGRID Corporation of India Limited & EESL works under the Ministry of Power.
4. Which financial institution will invest USD 100 million in J.C. Flowers India Opportunities Fund to help Indian financial institutions in resolving distressed assets ______ International Finance Corporation (IFC).
➢ The investment is part of IFC’s Distressed Asset Recovery Program’s (DARP) work in India.
➢ Initially, IFC will invest USD 40 million.
➢ It will help the domestic lenders (Lenders in India) to resolve their distressed assets and free up the capital for new lending.
➢ It will allow mid-sized firms to preserve jobs and avoid insolvency during the pandemic.
5. Which small finance bank has partnered with fintech company, NIRA to strengthen its digital footprint and onboard its customers for Personal Loans ______ Ujjivan Small Finance Bank.
➢ This was USFB’s first Digital Lending Partnership.
➢ Salaried customers can apply for a personal loan by using the NIRA app, which will fund the low-income salaried class.
➢ The aim of the it is to serve the unserved and underserved customers through personal loans.
6. Which bank has allowed its customers to make International Fund Transfers (send money abroad) in over 100 currencies across 150 countries through the ‘Send Money Abroad’ ______ Axis Bank.
➢ The users can send up to USD 25,000 (~18.63 Lakh) per transaction for any different purposes such as education fee payment, family maintenance, and health-related expenses.
➢ Axis bank transfers funds to global banks through the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications (SWIFT) mode.
➢ SWIFT is a cooperative that provides safe and secure financial transactions as it assigns a unique code of either 8 characters or 11 characters for each financial organization.
7. Which tech giant has bought AI speech tech firm Nuance for $19.7 billion ______ Microsoft.
➢ The move will help Microsoft’s prowess in voice recognition and will give it a boost in the health care market.
➢ Nuance is known for its Dragon software which helps to transcribe speech using deep learning. In 2016, Microsoft had purchased LinkedIn for $26 billion.
8. Which bank has partnered with Mastercard to launch a mobile-based consumer-friendly payment solution ‘Pay by Bank App’, a first-of-its-kind payment functionality in India ______ RBL Bank.
➢ RBL Bank account holders can now enjoy contactless transactions across the world through their mobile banking application both in-store and online.
➢ This functionality will be available at all Mastercard accepting merchants, worldwide that accept contactless and online payments.
9. Under whose chairmanship the Reserve Bank of India has set up a six-member committee to carry out a comprehensive review of the working of Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARCs) in the financial sector ecosystem ______ Sudarshan Sen.
➢ The six-member committee will be headed by Sudarshan Sen, former executive director, Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
➢ As per the terms of reference of the committee, the panel will review the existing legal and regulatory framework applicable to ARCs and recommend measures to improve efficacy of ARCs.
10. State-run Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has appointed whom to facilitate digital payments ______ Paytm.
➢ The new contract requires a smoother payment process, wider variety of payment options and adding more players (banks, wallets, etc) in payment channels.
➢ LIC has seen a surge in digital payments after the pandemic.
➢ The corporation does Rs 60,000 crore of premium collections from the digital mode, which does not include the payment made through banks.
➢ It sees around 8 crore digital transactions — a number expected to go up sharply.
11. Which bank has partnered with Habitat for Humanity International to help Microfinance Institutions (MFI) in providing housing loans to low income families in rural and semi urban areas of Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and Philippines ______ ADB.
➢ In order to improve the construction quality and climate resilience by upgrading semi-permanent structures and installing sanitation and water connections, loans will be given to around 20,000 households by partner MFIs in the first phase.
➢ In the first phase Commercial banks will provide $30 million financing for housing loans to MFIs.
12. Which digital payments and financial services company has become the first company to cross 1 billion transactions on Unified Payment Interface (UPI) ______ PhonePe.
➢ The company has crossed over 1.3 billion transactions on its platform across payment offerings of wallet,cards and UPI in March 2021.
➢ PhonePe has seen a growth in UPI transactions to 975.53 million in February 2021 from 902.03 million in December 2020.
13. With which Insurance technology startup, the Agriculture Insurance Company of India Limited (AICIL) has partnered to develop the insurance penetration in rural India ______ Gramcovers.
➢ The main objective of this partnership is to identify and develop useful rural insurance products that could help farmers.
➢ It also aims to increase the insurance coverage in rural parts of India.
➢ Under this partnership they have planned to reach around 25 million farmers.
14. Which has been appointed as transaction advisor by the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) for the privatization of the J N Port Container Terminal (JNPCT) ______ SBI Capital Markets Ltd.
➢ JNPT has planned to privatize the JNPCT through the public-private-partnership (PPP) route in December 2020, and it was evaluated by the standing finance committee(SFC) in the ministry of ports, shipping, and waterways(MoPSW).
➢ JNPT has appointed SBI Caps as the transaction advisor for the PPP project which is estimated to cost Rs 863.31 crores.
➢ It is one of the five container terminals at JNPT and it has handled 1.35 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) a year (544,027 TEUs in FY21 from 718,863 TEUs in FY20).
1. Famous sportsman Ahmed Hussain Lala has passed away due to COVID-19, he was associated with which sport ______ Football.
➢ He represented India in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, where India finished fourth.
➢ Besides, he was also part of the Indian team that won the gold medal in the 1951 Asian Games.
➢ Ahmed also took part in the 1958 Asian Games in Tokyo, Japan, in which India finished fourth.
2. Famous Dr Kakarla Subba Rao, who served as the first director of Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad, passed away recently, he was a veteran ______ Radiologist.
➢ Rao was conferred Padma Shri in 2000, by the Government of India for his contributions to the field of medicine.
➢ He was the founder president of the Telugu Association of North America (TANA), an umbrella organisation for Telugu speaking people in the United States.
3. Former Union Minister Bachi Singh Rawat has passed away recently, he was associated with which political party ______ BJP.
➢ He was a four-time MP from the Almora-Pithoragarh constituency in Uttarakhand.
➢ He had served as the Union Minister of State for Science and Technology in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government
4. National Awardee Sumitra Bhave has passed away recently, she was a veteran ______ Filmmaker.
➢ She was known for her out-of-the-box content and also for the way she handled social issues in her films.
➢ The duo of Sumitra and Sunil together directed several popular films like Doghi, Dahavi Fa, Vastupurush, Devrai, Badha, Ek Cup Chya, Samhita, Astu, Kaasav, among others.
5. Veteran writer Ganjam Venkatasubbiah passed away recently; he was a writer of which language ______ Kannada.
➢ He was commonly known as a walking encyclopedia of Kannada language and culture, in his literary circles.
➢ Professor G Venkatasubbaiah had compiled 12 dictionaries and had authored around 60 books.
➢ He received the Padma Shri in 2017 for his proficiency in Kannada literature, poetry, essays and translations.
6. Renowned personality Charles Geschke passed away recently he was a computer scientist and founder of which company ______ Adobe Inc.
➢ American computer scientist Charles Geschke, best known as the co-founder of graphics and publishing software company Adobe Inc, has passed away.
➢ Geschke co-founded Adobe company in 1982 with fellow mate John Warnock.
➢ Geschke, who was widely known as Chuck, also helped in developing the popular Portable Document Format (PDF).
7. Name the former governor of the Reserve Bank of India also known as “Father of Indian Banking Reforms”, who passed away recently ______ Maidavolu Narasimham.
➢ He was the 13th Governor of RBI and served from May 2, 1977, to November 30, 1977.
➢ He was known for being the chair of two high-powered committees on banking and financial sector reforms.
8. Renowned politician, diplomat, and lawyer Walter Mondale passed away recently, he was former vice president of which country ______ USA.
➢ Former American politician, diplomat, and lawyer Walter Mondale, who served as the 42nd Vice President of the United States, has passed away.
➢ He served as Vice President from 1977 to 1981 under President Jimmy Carter. He also served as U.S. ambassador to Japan from 1993 to 1996 under Bill Clinton.
9. Renowned politician Bhumidhar Barman passed away recently, he was former chief minister of which state ______ Assam.
➢ Bhumidhar Barman had served as CM of Assam twice.His first term was between April 22, 1996 to May 14,1996 and second term was during 2010.During both periods he acted as an interim CM
➢ He belonged to Indian National Congress(INC) and had also represented the Barkhetry Constituency.
1. World Hemophilia Day is annually observed across the globe on which date to create awareness about Hemophilia and other bleeding disorders ______ 17th April.
➢ The day is an effort to provide better diagnosis and access to care for the people with Hemophilia.
➢ The April 17th Marks the birth anniversary of Frank Schnabel, the founder of the World Federation of Hemophilia.
➢ The theme of World Hemophilia Day 2021 is “Adapting to change: sustaining care in a new world”.
2. What is the theme of the World Heritage Day observing every year on 18th April ______ Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures.
➢ It is also aimed at promoting historical monuments and sites through which we can actually preserve the cultural integrity of a community as well.
➢ This year’s theme “Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures” reflects on the need to acknowledge global calls for greater inclusion and recognition of diversity.
3. World Liver Day is observed every year on which date ______ 19 April.
➢ The liver is the second largest and the most complex organ in the body, with the exception of the brain.
➢ Liver diseases can be caused by hepatitis A, B, C, alcohol and drugs.
➢ Viral Hepatitis occurs due to consumption of contaminated food and water, unsafe sexual practices and drug abuse.
4. UN Chinese Language Day is observed globally every year on which date ______ 20th April.
➢ The day has been chosen to pay tribute to Cangjie, who is a mythical figure who is presumed to have invented Chinese characters about 5,000 years ago.
➢ The 1st Chinese Language Day was celebrated in 2010 on the 12th of November, but since 2011 the date has been on the 20th of April.
5. In India, ‘National Civil Services Day’ is celebrated every year on which date ______ 21st April.
➢ It is a day to appreciate the tremendous work done by officers engaged in public administration, in various departments of the central and state governments.
➢ The Government of India chose April 21 as the National Civil Service Day as on this day the country’s first home minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the newly appointed Administrative Services Officers in 1947.
6. World Creativity and Innovation Day is observed globally every year on which date ______ 21st April.
➢ This day is celebrated to raise awareness around the importance of creativity and innovation in problem-solving with respect to advancing the United Nations sustainable development goals, also known as the “global goals”.
➢ The main objective of the day is to encourage people to use new ideas, make new decisions, and do creative thinking. Creativity is what makes the world go ‘round.
1. Who has been appointed as the head of the Regulatory Review Authority, RRA 2.0 set up by the Reserve Bank of India that will review regulatory prescriptions ______ M. Rajeshwar Rao.
➢ The authority will review regulatory prescriptions internally as well as by seeking suggestions from RBI-regulated entities for simplification and ease of implementation.
➢ Deputy Governor M. Rajeshwar Rao has been appointed as the Regulations Review Authority. The authority would have validity for a period of one year from May 1, 2021, unless its tenure is extended by the RBI.
2. Under whose chairmanship the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed an eight-member National Task Force (NTF) to monitor the remedial steps to improve the status of air quality ______ Rameshwar Prasad Gupta.
➢ NTF will be headed by and coordinated by the Secretary Ministry of Environment and Forests, Rameshwar Prasad Gupta.
➢ India has the World’s highest death rate from chronic respiratory diseases and 1.5 million people in India are dying annually due to air pollution.
➢ It will monitor the enforcement of air quality standards in all the Non-Attainment Cities along with other air polluted areas through quarterly meetings with the Chief Secretaries of concerned States/UTs.
3. Murali M. Natrajan is the Managing Director & CEO of which bank whose re-appointment has been approved by the Reserve Bank of India ______ DCB Bank.
➢ He was appointed as MD and CEO of DCB Bank in May 2009.
➢ Prior to joining DCB, Natrajan has worked with foreign banks Standard Chartered & Citibank
4. Who has been officially sworn in as the ‘First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba’, following the resignation of Raul Castro ______ Miguel Mario Diaz-Canel.
➢ The Secretary of the Communist Party is the most powerful position in one party ruling Cuba. Díaz-Canel now holds Cuba’s two most important positions, head of the party and president of the state.
➢ Raúl Castro announced that he would step down from the key position of the party and hand over the leadership to a younger generation.
5. Name the Indian Cricketer who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Puma India, the leading German sportswear brand __________ Washington Sundar & Devdutt Padikkal.
➢ In March 2021, Puma signed as the official kit partners of the Royal Challengers Bangalore(RCB) in the IPL 2021 season.
➢ Washington Sundar(21 years old) from Chennai, Tamil Nadu, is the youngest T20I cricketer(18 years) to represent India at International level in 2017.
➢ DevduttPadikkal(20 years old) from Edappal, Kerala, is an Indian cricketer who represents Karnataka and India under 19s.
6. Who has been appointed as the new prime minister of South Korea ______ Kim Boo-kyum.
➢ He will replace former PM Chung Sye-kyun who resigned to run in the 2022 presidential election.
➢ Currently, Hong Nam-ki is serving as the Acting Prime Minister of South Korea.
➢ He will be appointed only after, the parliament of South Korea approved the nomination of the President.
➢ The president has also nominated new ministers for Labour, Land, Science, Trade and Oceans Ministry.
7. Who has been appointed as the Acting Chief Justice (CJ) of Allahabad High Court by President Ram Nath Kovind ______ Justice Sanjay Yadav.
➢ He assumed charge as the Acting CJ on 14th April 2021, succeeding Justice Govind Mathur who retired on 13th April 2021.
➢ Department of Justice, under the Ministry of Law and Justice notified regarding the appointment.
➢ Justice Sanjay Yadav, started his career in 1986 and practiced in the High Court of Madhya Pradesh(MP) at Jabalpur.