Banking & Financial Awareness
1. Under whose chairmanship the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has constituted an eight-member expert panel to draw up a regulatory road map for urban co-operative banks (UCBs) and study the sector’s consolidation prospects _________ N S Vishwanathan.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Monday said it has constituted an eight-member expert panel to draw up a regulatory road map for urban co-operative banks (UCBs) and study the sector’s consolidation prospects.
➢ Among the terms of reference of this committee will be to suggest effective measures for faster rehabilitation and resolution of UCBs.
➢ It has been tasked to look into regulatory measures that the central bank has taken with respect to UCBs and evaluate the impact it has had over a period of five years.
2. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide Rs 100 crore loan to which hospital chain for healthcare services and medical equipment to fight the COVID-19 pandemic ________ Medanta Hospitals.
➢ The project will support the purchase of personal protective equipment, basic hygiene products, and patient care equipment such as ventilators and beds. It will also support staff training programmes on infection prevention and control.
➢ The funding complements ADB's sovereign support to India, including a USD 1.5 billion loan approved in April last year for COVID-19 containment and prevention, and social protection for poor and economically vulnerable communities such as women.
3. Which becomes the first government financial institution to launch its own debit card _________ Kerala Financial Corporation.
➢ This 5 year Rupay platinum card will be co-branded in association with public sector banks.
➢ The card will be issued in accordance with the guidelines of Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
4. Mastercard has joined hands with which payment gateway to empower Indian micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) and startups especially in tier 2 and 3 cities _________ Razorpay.
➢ Mastercard and Razorpay have joined hands to empower Indian micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) and startups especially in tier 2 and 3 cities in digitising their operations, maintaining business continuity in the challenging environment, and preparing them for cashless future.
➢ It should be noted that Razorpay is India’s youngest unicorn (Company valuation exceedes $1 billion.
5. According to Nomura what will be the India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate Financial Year 2021-22 __________ 13.5%.
➢ The real GDP to contract by 6.7% in FY21 and grow by 13.5% in FY22.
➢ Year-on-year GDP growth projected at 1.5% in Q4FY20 (from -7.5% in Q3) and 2.1% in Q1F21.
6. Which Maharatna Public Sector Company will carry out the first Geothermal Field Development Project in India that will be stablished in Puga, Ladakh _________ Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
➢ A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed by the ONGC Energy Centre (OEC) with Ladakh and the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council.
➢ This MoU, which was signed in the presence of Ladakh Lieutenant Governor, is the first step towards creating a Carbon Neutral Ladakh, a clarion call given by Prime Minister of India on Independence Day 2020.
7. The central government has decided to privatize four public sector banks, which is one not among them ________ Punjab and Sindh Bank.
➢ The two laws to be amended are Banking Companies (Acquisition and Transfer of Undertakings) Act, 1970 and the Banking Companies (Acquisition and Transfer of Undertakings) Act, 1980.
➢ The four banks to be privatize are Bank of Maharashtra, Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank and the Central Bank of India.
8. The startup Pi Beam has launched the electric two-wheeler called ‘PiMO’. The Pi Beam is incubated by which IIT _________ IIT Madras.
➢ Pi Beam's new Electric Two-Wheeler can charge faster than a smartphone.
➢ Riding PiMo does not require a license or registration.
➢ Priced at Rs. 30, 000 it is economical and eliminates fuel costs.
9. What is the budget outlay for the production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for telecommunications (telecom) and networking products, launched by government of India, over five years ___________ Rs 12,195 crore.
➢ Under the PLI scheme, Telecom manufacturing will be boosted in order to enhance the production of more than Rs 2.4 lakh crore.
➢ The scheme also has higher proposed incentives for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
10. Who has been accorded as the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha with effect from February 16 ________ Mallikarjun Kharge.
➢ Kharge was named Congress leader in the House to succeed Ghulam Nabi Azad whose term has ended.
➢ Kharge, a former union minister, had earlier been Congress leader in the Lok Sabha.
11. What amount has been allocated by the central government for FY 2021-22 for its crop insurance program, Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) __________ Rs. 16000 crores.
➢ This is a budgetary increase of around ₹305 crore as against the previous fiscal year 2020-21.
➢ The scheme extends coverage for the entire cropping cycle from pre-sowing to post-harvest including coverage for losses arising out of prevented sowing and mid-season adversities.
12. What is the theme of RBI’s Financial Literacy Week (FLW) – 2021 that was celebrated from February 8 to 12 _________ Credit Discipline and Credit from Formal Institution.
➢ The theme selected for current year FLW is 'Credit Discipline and Credit from Formal Institutions' which will be observed from February 8-12, 2021.
➢ This theme is one of the strategic objectives of the National Strategy for Financial Education 2020-2025.
13. Which health Insurance provider launched an innovative insurance plan, “Health AdvantEDGE”, to carter the pre- and post-hospitalization needs of its customers _________ Bharti AXA General Insurance.
➢ Bharti AXA Health AdvantEDGE is also one of the few healthcare products that offer comprehensive wellness benefits as a key differentiator in the domestic health insurance market.
➢ It is specially designed to support the healthcare and wellness needs of customers.
14. According to the Ecowrap report of the State Bank of India (SBI) the Indian GDP will contract by what per cent in the FY 2020-21 ________ 7%.
➢ Ecowrap report of the State Bank of India (SBI) has estimated that India’s Gross domestic Product (GDP) for FY 21 will contract by 7%(-7%) from -7.4% projected earlier.
➢ The GDP growth in FY22 will remain at 11%.
15. What amount has been decided by the central government to infuse into Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank) in FY 2021-22 _________ Rs 1,500 crore.
➢ This amount is Rs 200 crore higher than the amount (Rs 1,300 crore) earmarked by the government to be infused in the bank in FY 21.
➢ The government had doubled the authorised capital of the bank from Rs 10,000 crore to Rs 20,000 crore in 2019.
16. Which housing finance company get the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) nod to acquire Dewan Housing Finance Corporation (DHFL) ________ Piramal Capital and Housing Finance Limited.
➢ The resolution plan is to revive the debt-ridden DHFL.
➢ This approval paves way for Piramal group to acquire DHFL.
➢ After RBI’s Approval, Piramal Group has to seek approval from The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) to acquire DHFL.
17. Which company has signed a deal to acquire 68% stake in BigBasket for about Rs 9,500 crore ________ Tata Group.
➢ Post acquisition, the enterprise value of BigBasket becomes more than Rs 13,500 crore.
➢ Tata Communications has partnered with Google Cloud in India to drive cloud adoption and transform Indian businesses.
18. What is the name of outward forex remittance service rolled out by Kotak Mahindra Bank on its mobile banking app _________ Kotak Remit.
➢ This service will allow the customers to directly send money to their loved ones living abroad from their phones.
➢ The bank has rolled out this feature on the Kotak Mobile Banking App.
➢ In order to use this service, the customers will not have to perform any physical documentation work for up to amount of $25,000.
19. Which bank has signed an MOU with Society for Innovation and Development (SID) for extending exclusive credit facility to Start-ups and MSMEs ________ Indian Bank.
➢ SID an initiative of the IISc for extending exclusive credit facility to Start-ups and MSMEs.
➢ The Bank will extend loans of up to Rs 50 crore to these start-ups for their working capital requirements.
20. Which bank has entered into a strategic partnership with Vayana Network to offer financial support to the MSMEs ________ Bank of Maharshtra.
➢ Under the MoU, BoM will provide short term credit to meet funding requirements of dealers of corporates via “Mahabank Channel Financing Scheme”.
➢ The Vayana Network will provide its Supply Chain Financing solutions (SCF) to the bank supported by Vayana’s technology and service expertise.
21. As per S&P global ratings, which county will be the fastest growing emerging market economies with 10% growth in next fiscal __________India.
➢ Explanation: S&P Global Ratings has said that India will be one of the fastest growing emerging marketeconomies with a 10 per cent growth in the next fiscal.
1. Former Chief Justice of Punjab & Haryana High Court Justice Mandagadde Rama Jois passed away recently was also served as the governor of which state ________ Jharkhand.
➢ M Rama Jois served as the Chief Justice of Punjab & Haryana High Court.
➢ Justice Rama Jois associated with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha as a BJP representative.
2. Renowned personality Satish Sharma passed away recently, he was a veteran __________ Politician.
➢ Captain Satish Sharma was a professional commercial pilot with Air India.
➢ He served as the Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas from 1993 to 1996 under the premiership of Narasimha Rao.
3. Renowned personality Basant Kumar Mahapatra, passed away recently he was a veteran ________Major Genral.
➢ He had participated in major battles including the 1962 Indo-China war, and 1965 and 1971 India-Pakistan war.
➢ Hailing from Bhubaneswar in Odisha, Mahapatra was commissioned into armoured corps (Tanks) of the Indian Army as a Combat Officer and was popularly known as ‘Tank Man’.
1. When is Soil Health Card Day observed _________ 19th February
➢ 2021 marks the sixth year of the launch of the SHC Scheme.
➢ Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme on 19th February 2015 at Suratgarh in Rajasthan.
2. When is World Pangolin Day observed every year ________3rd Saturday of February (20th Feb).
➢ It marks the 10th edition of the event. The day aims to raise awareness about these unique mammals and speed up conservation efforts.
➢ Pangolin numbers are rapidly declining in Asia and Africa.
3. World Day of Social Justice is celebrated annually all over the world on ________ 20 February.
➢ The International Labour Organization unanimously adopted the ILO Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization on 10 June 2008.
➢ This year theme of World Day of Social Justice is“A Call for Social Justice in the Digital Economy”.
4. The International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is observed annually on which date to raise awareness regarding linguistic and cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism _________ 21st February.
➢ The theme of the Day this year, “Fostering multilingualism for inclusion in education and society”.
➢ International Mother Language Day was proclaimed by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational,Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in November 1999.
5. World Thinking Day is celebrated every year on which date ________ 22nd February.
➢ The day is observed to think about fellow brothers and sisters around the world, address their concerns and understand the true meaning of guiding.
➢ The theme for World Thinking Day 2021 is peacebuilding.
1. Carlos Menem was former President of which country who passed away recently ________ Argentina.
➢ Carlos Menem was elected governor of La Rioja in 1973
➢ He was elected as the 44th President of Argentina and served from 1989 to 1999.
➢ He promoted the law to reform the government and the economy of Argentina following the resignation of Raúl Alfonsín, his predecessor.
2. Who has been elected as the next director general of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) _________ Ajay Mathur.
➢ Mathur succeeds Upendra Tripathy, who has served as director general since 2017.
➢ A coalition of 73 member countries, ISA, aims to mobilize over USD 1 trillion of investment into solar projects by 2030 through policy and regulatory support, capacity building, and by overcoming perceived investment barriers.
3. Who has been appointed as the Executive Secretary of the UN Capital Development Fund _________ Preeti Sinha.
➢ Sinha commenced her tenure as UNCDF Executive Secretary, the highest leadership rank in the institution.
➢ Established in 1966, the New York-headquarted organisation provides micro-finance access to Least Developed Countries (LDCs), with the mandate to unlock the full potential of public and private finance.
4. Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of CEAT Limited _________ Rana Daggubati.
➢ CEAT has launched ‘Puncture Safe’ range of tyres in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
➢ Rana Daggubati, as part of an integrated marketing campaign in 5 southern states, will feature in the new ads for these tyres to be aired across TV and digital platforms.
5. Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde Kyenge as the Prime Minister of which country ________ Congo.
➢ He belongs to the Future of Congo political party.
➢ He succeeds Sylvestre Ilunga Ilunkamba, who resigned on January 28, 2021 after a no-confidence vote in the parliament.
6. Kannada Actor Darshan has been roped in as the ‘Agriculture ambassador’ of the Agriculture department of which state ________ Karnataka.
➢ Darshan agreed to the role of Agriculture ambassador without any remuneration.
➢ He will be promoting the programmes and schemes of the State’s Agriculture department and foster hope among the farmers.
7. Who has been appointed as the as chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) __________ Karim Khan.
➢ Mr. Khan won a secret ballot against three other candidates to replace lead prosecutor Fatou Bensouda.
➢ The 123-member Hague-based court, which began work nearly 20 years ago, handles war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide and crimes of aggression.
➢ British barrister Karim is best known for heading the United Nations' special investigative team looking into Islamic State crimes in Iraq.
8. Who has been appointed as the Under-Secretary-General and Associate Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) __________ Usha Rao Monari.
➢ She succeeds Mourad Wahba of Egypt, who served as the acting associate administrator. He also serves as the UNDP Regional Director for Arab States.
➢ The previous Associate Administrator of UNDP was Tegegnework Gettu.
9. Who has been appointed as the next President of Tokyo Olympic 2020 after resignation of former chief Yoshiro Mori __________ Seiko Hashimoto.
➢ She is a seven time Olympian herself, having competed as a cyclist and a speed skater.
➢ Former chief Yoshiro Mori resigned following a backlash over sexist comments he made.
➢ The Summer Olympics will begin on 23 July, after already being postponed by a year due to the pandemic.
10. Who has become the first Indian to be elected as chairperson of the Advisroy Committee of the Human Rights Council _________ Ajay Malhotra.
➢ Malhotra has previously served as ambassador to Russia (2011 to 2013), Kuwait (2009 to 2011), Ambassador and Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations, New York (from 2005 to 2009) and Romania (with concurrent accreditation to Moldova and Albania) from 2003 to 2005.