Banking & Financial Awareness
1. To provide Rs. 179 prepaid plan with life insurance of Rs 2 lakh Airtel joins hands with______Bharti AXA.
➢ On January 19, 2020, Bharti Airtel Limited has partnered with Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company Limited to offer Rs 2 lakh insurance cover to Airtel users with every recharge of Rs 179 prepaid bundle.
➢ The new plan will be accessible at any Airtel retail store or on the Airtel Thanks app.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the Certificate of Authorization (CoA) of ______Vodafone M-pesa Limited
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the Certificate of Authorisation (CoA) of Vodafone M-pesa Limited after it had voluntarily surrendered the authorization.
➢ Now Vodafone m-Pesa cannot continue to transact the business of issuance & will no longer have the right to provide payment facility as a prepaid instrument (PPI).
3. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its World Economic Outlook 2020, has reduced India’s economic growth forecast for 2019 to _____ 4.8 %
➢ The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its World Economic Outlook 2020, has reduced India’s economic growth forecast for 2019 to 4.8 % from 6.1% predicted earlier in October 2019.
➢ The growth projections have been lowered, citing pressure from non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) and weak income growth in rural India.
4. According to the “Global Investment Trend Monitor report 2020” released by United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) what is India’s rank in attracting FDI in 2019_____ 8th
➢ According to the “Global Investment Trend Monitor report 2020” released by United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), India ranked 8th among the top 10 countries attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) in 2019.
➢ During this period FDI in India grew by 16 % to $ 49 billion (bn).
➢ This led to a surge in FDI growth in South Asia (SA), which recorded a 10% increase in FDI to $ 60 billion.
5. The Reserve Bank of India has been raked at what position in buying gold abroad among the central banks of the world_____6th.
➢ According to World Gold Council(WGC) report titled “Outlook 2020: Global economic trends and their impact on gold”, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) became the sixth largest buyer when it purchased 25.2 tonnes in first 10 months of 2019 to hedge government’s sovereign gold bond issue.
➢ The central banks of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Poland bought more than India in 2019.
6. The United Nations (UN) has predicted the India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast for the year 2019-20 to ______5%.
➢ The United Nations (UN) has predicted the India’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product) growth forecast for the year 2019-20 to 5% .
➢ Earlier in 2019, it had projected GDP growth rate of 7.6% for FY 2019-20.
7. The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched a platform to make payments fast & secure _____ “Vajra Platform”.
➢ The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched blockchain technology-based “Vajra Platform” to make payments fast & secure.
➢ The new platform Vajra is based on the Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT).
➢ It has been designed with the aim to offer automatic clearing and settlement of payments on NPCI products such as unified payments interface (UPI) and Rupay card & will significantly reduce the need for manual reconciliation.
8. Indian private bank has launched India’s largest API banking portal _______ICICI Bank.
➢ The ICICI Bank has launched India’s largest API (application programming interfaces) Banking portal called ‘ICICI Bank API Banking portal’(https://developer.icicibank.com/).
➢ It consists of 250 APIs & allows bank’s partner companies across the globe to sign up on it, create an application, select the application, test it out and get the sample code.
1. Former Indian cricketer passed away at 80____ Man Mohan Sood.
➢ Former test Cricketer and National selector Man Mohan Sood passed away in New Delhi.
➢ Sood played 1 Test and 39 first-class matches with 1 century.
➢ Born in Lahore, Punjab on 6 July 1939, he played his lone test match against Richie Benaud, Australia at Madras in 1960.
2. On January 19, 2020 Sunanda Patnaik (85) passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal, she was ______ Indian Classical Singer.
➢ Indian Classical Singer Sunanda Patnaik, 85 years old passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal due to age-related complications. She was famously known as ‘Guruma’ in the classical music circle.
➢ She is the daughter of renowned Odia poet Baikunthanath Patnaik and had composed many bhajans (devotional songs) both in Odia and Hindi.
3. On January 20, 2020 Shamsher Singh Surjewala passed away after in AIIMS, New Delhi, he was a renowned ______ Politician (Congress Chief of Haryana)
➢ On January 20, 2020 the former Haryana Congress Chief Shamsher Singh Surjewala passed away after in All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) hospital, New Delhi after suffering from a brief illness.
➢ He was 87 and hailed from Haryana.
4. On January 17,2020 Rameshchandra Gangaram Bapu Nadkarni passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra, he was a renowned _____ Cricketer.
➢ On January 17,2020 Former Indian all-rounder Rameshchandra Gangaram Bapu Nadkarni (86) passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ He was a left-handed batsman and slow-left arm orthodox bowler.
➢ He was best known for bowling a record of 21 consecutive maiden overs in a test match against England.
5. Senior Journalist and former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament (MP) passed away at a private hospital in Gurgaon ______ Ashwini Kumar Chopra.
➢ Senior Journalist and former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament (MP) Ashwini Kumar Chopra passed away at a private hospital in Gurgaon after battling with terminal cancer.
1. In India, the Indian Army Day is observed every year on ______ January 15.
➢ Army Day is observed on 15 January every year in India, in recognition of Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa's taking over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief of India.
➢ This year 72nd Army Day is being celebrated across the country.
2. The 15th raising day of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) observed on _____ 19th January, 2020.
➢ 15th Raising day of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was celebrated in New Delhi.
➢ The Union Minister of State (MoS) for home affairs Shri Nityanand Rai was the chief guest on this occasion while Shri G.V.V. Sarma, Member Secretary, NDMA was the Guest of Honour.
➢ NDRF came into force on Jan 19, 2006.
3. National Immunization Day (NID) also known as ‘Polio Ravivar’ was observed on ______ 19th January, 2020.
➢ National Immunization Day (NID) also known as ‘Polio Ravivar’ was observed on January 19, 2020.
➢ The Pulse Polio Programme 2020 was conducted as a part of National Immunization Day across the country.
➢ The programme aims to protect children less than five years from Polio disease and to eliminate Poliomyelitis in India.
1. Who has been elected as President of the suspended Archery Association of India (AAI) ______ Arjun Munda.
➢ Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda was elected as President of the suspended Archery Association of India (AAI). The elections were held as per the Delhi High Court order.
➢ With the support of former AAI president Vijay Kumar Malhotra, Munda, the president of Jharkhand Archery Association, defeated Assam Archery Association president and retired IAS officer BVP Rao by a margin of 34-18.
2. Who has been appointed as the Director of the National Book Trust on deputation from the Indian Army _____ Lt Col Yuvraj Malik.
3. Name the Indian lawyer appointed into Queen Elizabeth II’s counsel of Senior Advocate ____ Harish Salve
➢ Indian Lawyer Harish Salve was appointed into Queen Elizabeth II’s counsel of Senior Advocate.
➢ He has been appointed as Queen’s Counsel (QC) for the courts of England and Wales. His name featured in the list of silk appointments released by the UK Ministry of Justice on January 13.
➢ Salve and other appointees will be formally appointed as Queen’s Counsel on March 16 2020. The title of Queen’s Counsel is awarded to those who have demonstrated particular skill and expertise in the conduct of advocacy.
4. Who has been appointed chairperson of the executive council of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) ____ Nripendra Misra.
➢ Nripendra Misra has been appointed chairperson of the executive council of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML).
➢ The Executive Council of the NMML has been reconstituted and it will be now chaired by Mr Misra. Dr A Surya Prakash, chairperson of the Prasar Bharati board, will be the council’s vice-chairperson.
5. Who has been elected as a bureau member of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) for the period 2020-23 ____ Bipul Behari Saha.
➢ A noted chemist Bipul Behari Saha has been elected as a bureau member of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) for the period 2020-23.
➢ He is the second Indian after CNR Rao to be elected for this position in a century.
Important News – India
1. 12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme was held in ____ Puducherry.
➢ 12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme begins in Puducherry. Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Dr Kiran Bedi inaugurated this Programme. Two hundred youths from Naxal-affected districts of Chattisgarh are taking part in this week-long programme.
➢ The programme has been jointly organized by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) and Puducherry Government with a view to ensuring development and empowerment of the tribal youths.
2. Union Minister for Heavy Industries Prakash Javadekar was inaugurating ELECRAMA 2020 in ______Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Union Minister for Heavy Industries Prakash Javadekar was inaugurating ELECRAMA 2020 in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ ELECRAMA is the flagship showcase of the Indian electrical industry and a platform to connect the world with the Indian industry in respect of technology, new trends and innovation for the future energy transition.
➢ The focus of this year’s event is on e-mobility, energy storage, start-ups, grid transformation, revenue security with special attention on small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
3. Union Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel launched an exhibition titled “Indian Heritage in Digital Space” in___ New Delhi.
➢ Union Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel launched an exhibition titled “Indian Heritage in Digital Space” at National Museum, New Delhi.
➢ This exhibition is first of its kind in the country. The exhibition will stay online until February 15, 2020.
4. The 7th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) India Region was held in ____Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The 7th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) India Region will start in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla will inaugurate the Conference. The main theme of the conference is the ROLE OF LEGISLATORS.
➢ In the Conference, delegates will discuss the Capacity Building of Legislators for Scrutinizing Budgetary Proposals and Enhancing Focus of Legislators on Legislative Business.
5. The 2nd edition of NIC Tech Conclave-2020 begins today. The Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad will inaugurate this conclave in New Delhi.
➢ The 2nd edition of NIC Tech Conclave-2020 begins today. The Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad will inaugurate this conclave in New Delhi.
➢ These event is being organized by the National Informatics Centre.
➢ This conclave will contribute immensely to the capacity building of Government officers across the country and help in delivering high-quality citizen-centric services. This year conclave theme is “Technologies for Next-Gen Governance”.
6. A Conference of the Chief Secretaries and Administrator State and Union Territories on Census 2021 was held in ____ New Delhi.
➢ A Conference of the Chief Secretaries and Administrator State and Union Territories on Census 2021 and updating of National Population Register, NPR was held in New Delhi.
➢ The data collected in the Census helps us in framing policies for the welfare of the people of the country. Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai also inaugurated the Official Mascot for Census 2021.
7. PM Narendra Modi and Nepalese PM Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated the 2nd Integrated Check Post at _____ Jogbani (Bihar, India) – Biratnagar (Nepal)
➢ Indian Prime Minister(PM) Shri Narendra Modi along with the PM of Nepal Shri Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated the 2nd Integrated Check Post (ICP) Jogbani (Bihar, India) – Biratnagar (Nepal) through video conference. Jogbani – Biratnagar acts as an important trade point between the two nations and is equipped with
8. ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ scheme will be implemented across the country by ___ June 1, 2020.
➢ ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ scheme will be implemented by June 1, 2020 across the country.
➢ The announcement was made by the Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Ram Vilas Paswan.
9. Panel to create tougher law against sexual harassment at work will be headed by____ Amit Shah.
➢ The Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Union Minister of Home Affairs(MoHA) Shri Amit Shah constituted to further strengthen legal frameworks to prevent sexual harassment at the workplace, has now finalised the recommendations for it. The recommendations in brief are as follows:
10. The committee set up by Supreme Court to firm up draft legislation to give legal sanctity to disputes settled through mediation is headed by _____ Niranjan Bhat.
➢ The Supreme Court set up a panel headed by mediator Niranjan Bhat to firm up draft legislation to give legal sanctity to disputes settled through mediation, which would then be sent to the government as a suggestion from the apex court.
11. Seismic Hazard Microzonation project in major cities of India was launched by ___ The Ministry of Earth Science (MoES).
➢ The Ministry of Earth Science (MoES) has launched Seismic Hazard Microzonation project in major cities of India.
➢ The project aims to reduce the hazards of Seismic activities by taking proper measures in major Indian cities and areas falling under high-seismic Zones IV and V.
➢ The project has been completed in the State of Sikkim and in other eight cities namely Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Guwahati, Jabalpur, Dehradun Ahmedabad and Gandhidham.
12. Union Minister of Law and Justice (MoL&J) Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Blockchain Technology in ____ Bengaluru, Karnataka.
➢ The Union Minister of Law and Justice (MoL&J) Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Blockchain Technology set up by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
➢ The CoE has been set up with the aim of providing blockchain as a service and help all stakeholders to benefit from shared learning, experiences and resources.
13. NITI Aayog signed MoU for Development of Infrastructure Projects in _____ Ladakh.
➢ NITI Aayog and Union Territory of Ladakh sign MoU for Development of Infrastructure Projects in Ladakh.
➢ It was signed between NITI Aayog Senior Adviser Dr Yogesh Suri and Adviser to the Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh Umang Narula.
➢ The agreement was executed in the presence of NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
14. South Central Zone of the Indian Railways has signed an MoU to provide doorstep banking with ____State Bank of India.
➢ To provide doorstep banking services, the South Central Zone of the Indian Railways has signed an MoU with the State Bank of India.
➢ According to the MoU, the doorstep banking facility will be provided at 585 Railway Stations of the South Central Zone.
➢ The “doorstep banking” facility will enable direct pickup of earnings from the railway stations and will save the complex activity of cash movement through cash safes by trains.
15. 1st Session of India-Norway Dialogue on Trade & Investment Held in _____New Delhi.
➢ 1st Session of India-Norway Dialogue on Trade & Investment Held in New Delhi
➢ The 1st ever session of the India-Norway dialogue on Trade & Investment (DTI) was held from January 15-16 in New Delhi.
➢ The session was conducted based on the Terms of Reference (ToR) which was signed by India and Norway on 8th January 2019 in New Delhi at time of Norway Prime Minister Erna Solberg’s visit to India.