Banking & Financial Awareness
1. According to the government data released, Inflation based on wholesale prices fell in December 2018____3.80%.
➢ The Wholesale Price Index (WPI)-based inflation stood at 4.64% in November 2018 (in Dec 2017- 3.58%)
➢ Deflation in food articles stood at 0.07% in December, (in Nov 3.31%).
➢ The Reserve Bank of India mainly considers retail inflation data while formulating monetary policy.
2. The union Government has constituted a seven-member Group of Ministers (GoM) to boost the real estate sector under
the____ GST regime.
➢ Nitin Patel (Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat) will be the convener of the GoM.
➢ Finance Ministers of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh and the Panchayat Minister of Goa will be the members.
➢ Group of Ministers will analyse tax rate of GST and suggest a composition scheme for residential construction units.
➢ Currently, GST on the under-construction flats and houses is 12% whereas ready-to-move-in flats with a completion certificate attract no GST.
3. The Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2018-19 (Series-V) opened for subscription, continue till _____18th January 2019.
➢ The issue price of the Bond during this subscription period will be Rs. 3200 and fourteen rupees per gram with the settlement date of 22nd January 2019.
➢ Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme (SGBS) is one of the three gold related schemes launched by the PM in November 2015.
➢ It gives the people to invest their gold into sovereign bonds. Bonds are one of the three assets, the other being stocks and cash.
4. HDFC Standard Life Insurance has changed its name to _____HDFC Life Insurance.
➢ The change in name is effective right off the bat and the company will henceforth operate under the name HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd. it stated.
5. ICICI Bank inducted former SBI Managing Director and management consultant on its board as independent director___ B Sriram and Rama Bijapurkar.
6. As per India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) estimated India’s GDP growth could touch during current fiscal 2018-19____7.2 %.
7. The world’s 2nd biggest economy China’s economy grew in 2018___6.6%
➢ China’s National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) stated that last year’s growth rate was down from 6.8% in 2017 and was the lowest since 1990 when the growth rate was 3.9%.
8. Yes Bank has appointment non-executive part-time chairman_____ Mr. Brahm Dutt.
➢ Currently He is also the chairman of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee.
➢ Yes Bank Limited is India's fourth largest private sector bank, founded by Rana Kapoor and Ashok Kapur in 2004.
➢ It operates as three entities - Yes Bank, Yes Capital and Yes asset management services.
9. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has set up an 11-member working group under the Chairmanship of ______ UK Sinha.
➢ This Working Group has been tasked to submit a report recommending a complete regulatory framework to facilitate insolvency resolution and liquidation of corporate debtors in a Group.
1. Three states have celebrated their statehood day on 21st January____ Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura.
➢ On this day in 1972, all the three states became full-fledged states under the North Eastern Region (Reorganisation) Act, 1971.
2. The 71st Army Day is being celebrated formally with an annual parade at the Cariappa Parade Ground in ____New Delhi.
➢ Army Day is celebrated on 15th January every year to mark the day when (then) Lieutenant General KM Popularly known as “Kipper”, KM Cariappa was the first Indian commander-in-chief of the Indian Army.
➢ The day is celebrated to pay homage, salute to the courageous and brave Indian soldiers who have been sacrificing their lives for protecting the country.
3. Four-day festival is being celebrated in Tamil Nadu and the Indian Union Territory of Puducherry ______Pongal.
➢ It marks the first day of the auspicious month in Tamil calendar, “Thai.”
➢ People decked up their homes early in the morning with colourful “kolam’s” or rangoli’s in view of Pongal.
➢ The day marks the start of the sun's six-month-long journey northwards (the Uttaraayanam).
4. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is celebrating its 14th Raising Day _____19th Jan.
➢ NDRF was raised on 19th January 2006, as a specialized force capable of responding to any type of disaster in the country and abroad.
➢ The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is a specialized force constituted "for the purpose of specialist response to a threatening disaster situation or disaster" under the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
1. The world's oldest man passed away in the north of Japan's Hokkaido island at the age of 113_____ Masazo Nonaka (Japan).
➢ According to the Kyodo News agency, Nonaka, who was officially recognized as the oldest male in the world by Guinness World Records last April.
➢ The record-holder Masazo Nonaka was born in 1905 in the town of Ashoro.
2. The Pulitzer Prize-winning American poet passed away at her home in Florida, USA___ Mary Oliver.
➢ Oliver (author of more than 15 poetry and essay collections) wrote brief, direct pieces that sang of her worship of the outdoors and disdain for greed, despoilment and other human crimes.
➢ Mary Jane was an American poet who won the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.
3. Senior Congress leader and former chairman of Maharashtra Legislative Council passed away in Mumbai ___ Shivajirao Deshmukh.
➢ Deshmuk had served as the Revenue Minister in the Vasantsada Patil government from 1976-85.
4. Noted Malayalam director & screenwriter passed away in Chennai____ Lenin Rajendran.
➢ He was a five-time recipient of the Kerala State Film Awards and also received the International Federation of Film Critics Award for the best Malayalam film for his film ‘Makaramanju’.
➢ He was also chairman of the Kerala State Film Development Corporation.
5. Who has been unanimously elected as the Speaker of Telangana___ Pocharam Srinivas Reddy.
➢ Srinivas Reddy is a veteran Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) leader.
➢ Pro-tem speaker Mumtaz Ahmed Khan formally declared Mr Reddy elected as the Speaker of the Assembly.
➢ Speaker of the Legislative Assembly is a title commonly held by presiding officers of parliamentary bodies styled legislative assemblies.
6. Former president of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) passed away in Delhi_____ Vishnu Hari Dalmia.
➢ Mr. Dalmia played a crucial role in the Ram Janambhumi agitation.
➢ He had also served as ‘Prabandh Nyasi’ (managing trustee) of Sri Krishna Janmasthan Mathura.
➢ The Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) is an Indian right-wing Hindu nationalist organisation based on the ideology of Hindutva.
1. The Greece Defence Minister has announced his resignation from Alexis Tsipras’s coalition government_____Panos Kammenos.
➢ The Union Minister had announced his resignation ahead of an upcoming parliamentary vote to end a 27-year name dispute with Macedonia.
➢ For the Greeks, Macedonia is the name of a history-rich northern province that was the cradle of Alexander the Great's ancient empire
2. Senior IAS officer has been appointed the Secretary General (15th) of National Human Rights Commission___ Jaideep Govind.
➢ Earlier, he was posted as Special Secretary and Financial Adviser in the Ministries of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Drinking Water and Sanitation.
➢ The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of India is an autonomous public body constituted on 12 October 1993 under the Protection of Human Rights Ordinance of 28 September 1993.
➢ It was given a statutory basis by the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993.
3. Who will be the recipient of the 2019 Japan Prize for his contributions in the field of ‘Biological Production, Ecology’__ Dr. Rattan Lal.
➢ Dr. Rattan Lal is the University Professor of Soil Science at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A
➢ Dr. Yoshio Okamoto will be the recipient of the 2019 Japan Prize on of “Materials and Production” field.
➢ The Japan Prize recognizes scientists and engineers from around the world for original and outstanding achievements that “not only contribute to the advancement of science and technology, but also promote peace and prosperity for all mankind.
4. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has appointed media professional as its new chief executive officer (CEO)__ Manu Sawhney.
➢ He is replacing incumbent David Richardson, who will step down at the end of this summer's ODI World Cup in England.
➢ Sawhney is the former CEO of Singapore Sports Hub and Managing Director of ESPN Star Sports.
5. Senior Congress leader elected as speaker of the 15th Rajasthan Assembly___ C.P Joshi.
➢ Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh administered the oath of office.
➢ Mr. Joshi has been elected from the Nathdwara assembly constituency.
➢ Speaker of the Legislative Assembly is a title commonly held by presiding officers of parliamentary bodies styled legislative assemblies.
6. Who has been appointed as Director General (Investigation) in the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) ____ Prabhat Singh.
➢ Currently Prabhat Singh is Special Director, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
7. Justice Asif Saeed Khosa took oath as the 26th Chief Justice of _____Pakistan.
➢ President Arif Alvi administered oath to the new Chief Justice who took office after the retirement of Chief Justice Saqib Nisar.
➢ Justice Khosa studied at the University of the Punjab and Cambridge University.
➢ The Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) is the head of the court system of Pakistan (the judicature branch of government) and the chief judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
Important News – India
1. The Minister of State for Railways Manoj Sinha has inaugurated the newly built broad-gauge railway line in Una district, Himachal Pradesh _____Amb Andora and Daulatpur.
➢ The 16 km railway line, includes 10 bridges with no level crossing, spent around 335 core rupees.
➢ This project will not only increase the railway connectivity but also play significant role in economic development of the state.
2. Prime minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas at ______Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The theme this year is, 'Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India'.
➢ Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated once in two years (before 2015 every year) to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the development of India.
3. Prime minister inaugurated the project “Development of Spiritual Circuit: Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple-Aranmula-Sabarimala” in ______Kerala.
➢ The project ‘Development of Spiritual Circuit: Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple-Aranmula-Sabarimala’ was sanctioned by the Ministry of Tourism in 2016-17 for Rs. 92.22 Crores.
➢ Swadesh Darshan scheme is one of the flagship schemes of Ministry of tourism for development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritized.
4. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has launched a series of projects as a part of the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor in ____ Tiruchirppalli.
➢ This will be the country's second defence industrial corridor after the first one was launched in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh August 2018.
➢ The Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor will include Chennai, Hosur, Salem and Coimbatore, Tiruchirappalli as the nodes.
5. The Union Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu has inaugurated the two-day ‘Global Aviation Summit 2019’ in _____Mumbai.
➢ This will be the first-of-its-kind event in the world with participation from more than 86 countries.
➢ The Global Aviation Summit with a theme “Flying for all - especially the next 6 Billion”, being organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation in association with FICCI.
➢ The objective of the Summit is to provide a platform to the aviation fraternity to discuss the challenges facing the sector in the newly developing growth spots and understand how technology-driven innovations will change air travel in the future.
6. The Union Minister for water resources and river development Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 9th International Micro irrigation conference at ______Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
➢ The theme of the three-day conference is “Micro Irrigation and Modern Agriculture”.
➢ 740 delegates including 100 foreign delegates from 56 countries and as many 100 Agricultural scientists will also attend the conference.
➢ The conference aims to share experiences in the use of new technologies and best management practices in drip, micro-sprinkler, and other localized irrigation systems.
7. Who will send two unmanned mission to space in December2010 and in July 2021___ Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
➢ Country's first manned space flight - Gaganyaan - will send three humans into space for seven days by December 2021.
➢ ISRO's unmanned test missions for Gaganyaan in 2021 will carry humanoids not animals.
8. India DST Department of Science and Technology along with Doordarshan has launched the two-science communication initiative ________‘DD Science’ and ‘India Science’
➢ The aim is to launch a 24/7 channel dedicated to science.
➢ The two channels will have science-based documentaries, studio-based discussions, and virtual walkthroughs of scientific institutions, interviews and short films and will be completely free to access (24/7).
➢ While DD Science is a one-hour slot on Doordarshan National channel, India Science is an internet-based science channel.
9. The Union Minister Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has inaugurated 5th Regional Centre of National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) at _____Mohali, Punjab.
➢ NIPCCD is a premier organisation devoted to promotion of voluntary action, research, training, and documentation in the overall domain of women and children development.
➢ NIPCCD already has four such Regional Centres one each at Bangalore, Guwahati, Indore and Lucknow besides the Headquarters at New Delhi.
10. The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the Nation Multi-Modal Logistics Park (MMLP), at___ Jharsugudaand, Odisha.
➢ The Multi-Modal Logistics Park (MMLP) at Jharsuguda is built at a cost of Rs 100 Crores.
➢ PM Modi also inaugurated a new railway line from Balangir-Bichupali built at an estimated cost of Rs. 115 crores.
➢ It will facilitate EXIM and Domestic cargo including Private Freight Traffic.
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Global Trade Show in_____ Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
➢ Global Trade Show has been organized as a part of Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2019 to be held at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar, On Friday.
➢ The main theme of this edition of Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit will be “Youth Connect 2019: Shaping A New India - The Story of Billion Dreams”.
12. The Union government will set up how many ‘Eklavya Model Residential Schools’ across the country___ 460.
➢ The Centre would spend about Rs 25,000 crore towards the initiative of these schools.
➢ Eklavya Model Residential Schools have expanded into a major education system in the country after Kendriya Vidyalaya and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas.
➢ Ekalavya Model Residential School (EMRS) is a Government of India scheme for model residential school for Indian tribals (Scheduled Tribes, ST) across India.
13. India-Myanmar bilateral army exercise ‘IMBEX 2018-19’ (2nd edition) commenced at Chandimandir Military Station at _______Chandigarh.
➢ The aim of this six days joint training programme is to train the Myanmar delegation for participation in United Nations peacekeeping operations under the UN flag.
➢ The exercise includes the participation of 15 officers from Myanmar Army and 15 officers from the Indian Army.
14. The Union Minister Suresh Prabhu has inaugurated the 10th edition of the India Rubber Expo - 2019 in ___Mumbai.
➢ The event offers a unique opportunity for Indian companies to meet and collaborate with overseas companies.
➢ The rubber industry will continue to grow faster, create more employment opportunities, increase exports and add to the economic output of India.
➢ The government is working on a comprehensive technology strategy to increase India’s economy and improve ease of doing business at the micro level.
15. Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurates ISRO's UNNATI programme in _______Bengaluru.
➢ The course will include theoretical work, as well as training on assembly, integration and testing of nano-satellites.
➢ UNNATI is an initiative by ISRO to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first United Nations conference on the exploration and peaceful uses of outer space (UNISPACE-50).
16. Who has announced to launch full-fledged bachelor's programme in Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology from the new academic session ____ Indian Institute of Technology-Hyderabad.
➢ IIT-H is already offering a master’s in technology programme in AI-Machine Learning (ML).
➢ The B.Tech programme in AI is a step in the direction of addressing this highly skewed demand-supply scenario
➢ The course will also focus on application verticals such as healthcare, agriculture, smart mobility, among many others.
17. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has inaugurated the country’s first National Museum of Indian Cinema (NMIC) in ______Mumbai.
➢ The objective of the Museum is to take its visitors through an absorbing journey of over a century of Indian cinema in a story telling mode with the help of visuals, graphics, artifacts, interactive exhibits and multimedia expositions.
➢ The New Museum Building has four Exhibition Halls: Gandhi & Cinema, Children’s Film Studio, Technology, creativity & Indian cinema and Cinema across India.
18. The 25th International conference and exhibition on terrestrial and satellite broadcasting ‘BES EXPO 2019’ in_____ New Delhi.
➢ Around 300 companies (from 25 countries) are displaying their products at the Expo.
➢ On the occasion, an exhibitor's directory was released by the dignitaries and BES awards were presented to the winners.
➢ The Information and Broadcasting Ministry is considering bringing a new Integrated Broadcast Policy for the growing broadcasting sector in India.
19. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the three-days 9th Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit in _____Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
➢ Vibrant Gujarat is the name given to a biennial investors' summit held by the Gujarat government.
➢ The event is aimed at bringing together business leaders, investors, corporations, thought leaders, policy and opinion makers; the summit is advertised as a platform to understand and explore business opportunities in the State of Gujarat
20. President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the three- day Gandhian Resurgence Summit at ____Prayagraj Kumbh.
➢ About 300 Gandhians from different parts of the country and organisations are participating in the Summit.
➢ More than one thousand CCTV cameras have been installed in the Mela for the purpose.
➢ Prayagraj Kumbh 2019 will be remembered for opening of doors to Akshaya Vat (sacred tree) and Saraswati Koop (sacred well) for common men after 450 years. It was a long pending demand of the devotees.