Important News – State
1. Which sate celebrates 48th anniversary of statehood day on 21 January ____ Meghalaya.
➢ Meghalaya celebrates their 48th anniversary of statehood day on 21 January. The Meghalaya Day celebration will continue till the Republic Day celebration.
➢ In 1971, the Parliament passed the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganization) Act, 1971, which conferred full statehood on the Autonomous State of Meghalaya.
2. Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju flag off ‘Fit India Cyclothon’ in _____Panaji, Goa.
➢ Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju flag off ‘Fit India Cyclothon’ in Panaji, Goa.
➢ This inaugural event of ‘Fit India Cyclothon’ organised by Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs and Government of Goa.
➢ This event is organized with the aim to get the people involved in outdoor activities and starting a cycling culture in the state.
3. Chapchar Kut, the biggest and most important festival of the state will be celebrated on March 6, 2020 in ____ Mizoram.
➢ Government of Mizoram will celebrate Chapchar Kut, the biggest and most important festival of the Mizos, on March 6, 2020.
➢ Chapchar Kut is a spring festival celebrated usually in March after completion of the Jhum cultivation. Jhum cultivation, also known as the slash and burn agriculture, is the process of growing crops by first clearing the land of trees and vegetation and burning them thereafter.
4. A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed with International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) to redlisting of orchids by _____Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ Arunachal Pradesh inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) to red-listing of orchids.
➢ Arunachal Pradesh has become the 1st state in the country to initiate the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) ‘red listing’ at the state level.
5. The famous Parshuram Kund Mela was organized in _______ Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ The famous Parshuram Kund Mela begins in Arunachal Pradesh. Parshuram Kund is a Hindu pilgrimage centre situated on the Brahmaputra plateau in the lower reaches of the Lohit River.
➢ Thousands of pilgrims visit the place in winter every year, especially on the Makar Sankranti day for a holy dip in the sacred kund which is believed to wash away one’s sins.
6. Which sate Cabinet clears the Proposal for three capitals ____Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Andhra Pradesh (AP) Government has passed Andhra Pradesh Decentralization and Inclusive development of All Regions Bill-2020 for the tri-capital system.
➢ The bill proposes to make Visakhapatnam as the executive capital, Amaravati as the legislative capital and Kurnool as the judicial capital of Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The aim behind this bill is decentralised administration that will result in socioeconomic progress at equal levels. Now the bill is presented before the legislative council.
7. Magh Bihu, an auspicious harvest festival is being celebrated in ____ Assam.
➢ Magh Bihu, an auspicious harvest festival is being celebrated in Assam.
➢ Magh Bihu falls in the local month of ‘Magh’ during mid-january.
➢ It is also called ‘Bhogali Bihu’ or ‘Maghor Bihu’ as it is celebrated with community feasts after the annual harvest takes place.
8. The 1st edition of the Krishi Manthan 2020 which is a Food, Agri-business and Rural Development Summit of Asia was held in _____ Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
➢ The 1st edition of the Krishi Manthan 2020 which is a Food, Agri-business and Rural Development Summit of Asia was held in Ahmedabad, Gujarat on December 28-29, 2019.
➢ The event was organised by the Food and Agribusiness Committee of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA).
Important News – World
1. 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) was held in ____ Davos, Switzerland.
➢ The 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum begins in Davos, Switzerland. On the Indian side, Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal will lead the delegation to the WEF.
➢ This year programme will focus on achieving the maximum impact on the Forum’s platform for public-private cooperation.
➢ This year 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum theme will be “Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World”.
2. Which company has announced that it would become “carbon negative” by year 2030____ Microsoft.
➢ The US tech giant Microsoft has announced that it would become “carbon negative” by year 2030.
➢ The announcement has been made in the form of its increased efforts to combat the climate change.
➢ The company announced that it vows to eliminate all the carbon emissions created by the company since its inception in 1975.
3. Who elected as 14th prime minister of Malta with 57.9% of the vote ___ Robert Abela.
➢ Labour Party candidate Robert Abela elected as 14th prime minister of Malta with 57.9% of the vote. He defeated his closest rival Chris Fearne.
➢ He will replace Joseph Muscat, who resigned over the murder of a journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia.
4. The 10th edition of World Future Energy Summit (WFES) 2020 was held at ____ Abu Dhabi, UAE.
➢ Recently the 10th edition of World Future Energy Summit (WFES)2020 hosted by Masdar renewable energy company, was held at Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE) from January 13-16, 2020.
➢ The theme for the year 2020 was “Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment”.
5. World Health Organisation (WHO) released the Global challenges for 2020 and identified health challenges in this decade were ____ 13.
➢ The World Health Organisation(WHO) released the Global challenges for 2020. 13 health challenges in this decade were also identified.
Honor & Awards
1. The 29th ‘Saraswati Samman 2019’ will be conferred to ____ Vasdev Mohi.
➢ Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi has been selected for the Saraswati Samman 2019, a literary recognition given annually by the KK (Krishna Kumar) Birla Foundation.
➢ The literary award is given for his short stories collection- ‘Chequebook’.
➢ The short story talks about the sufferings of the marginalized sections in society. The work was selected by a committee headed by the former secretary-general of the Lok sabha, Subash C Kashyap.
2. In the 16th edition of International Cricket Council (ICC) Awards who named ODI cricket of the year _____ Rohit Sharma.
➢ the International Cricket Council has announced the list of ICC award winners for the year 2019 to recognize and honor the best international cricket players of the previous 12 months.
➢ Indian opener Rohit Gurunath Sharma became ODI Cricketer of the Year for the first time. At the same time, Virat Kohli bagged Spirit of Cricket award.
➢ England’s World Cup winning all-rounder Ben Stokes won the prestigious Sir Garfield Sobers trophy for the Cricketer of the Year,
➢ While Australian fast bowler Pat Cummins became the best Test cricketer of the year, taking 59 wickets in 2019.
3. 17th edition of Crossword Books Awards held in Mumbai the Popular Best Fiction Award was won by ___ Twinkle Khanna.
➢ The 17th edition of Crossword Book Awards was held in Mumbai.
➢ Twinkle Khanna won the Popular Best Fiction Award for her novel ‘Pyjamas Are Forgiving’.
➢ Krishna Trilok won the Popular award in the Biography category for Notes of a Dream: The Authorized Biography of AR Rahman.
4. Madhya Pradesh government 2018 National Lata Mangeshkar Award was conferred to ____ Kuldeep Singh.
➢ Noted Indian singer Suman Kalyanpur was chosen for the 2017 National Lata Mangeshkar Award of the state govt. of Madhya Pradesh(MP)
➢ While Indian Music composer Kuldeep Singh has been chosen for the same Mangeshkar award for the year 2018.
➢ They have been chosen for this award for their contribution in the field of music and will be awarded in February 2020 at an event in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
5. e-Governance Award of Excellence 2019 was won by ____ ‘cVIGIL’ and ‘Voter Helpline app’.
➢ The Award of Excellence for the year 2019 was given by Computer Society of India (CSI) and Special Interest Group on e-Governance at Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology in Bhubaneswar, Odisha during the CSI 2020, 53rd annual convention of CSI.
➢ The two innovative Information and Communication Technology (ICT) applications developed by Election Commission of India (ECI), ‘cVIGIL’ and ‘Voter Helpline App’ has won the ‘Award of Excellence’ 2019.
6. Australia has conferred its highest civilian honour, the Order of Australia honour to ____ Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw.
➢ Australia has conferred its highest civilian honour, the Order of Australia honour to Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw.
➢ She is founder and chairperson of biopharmaceutical company Biocon and appointed as an honorary member in the general division of the Order of Australia by Australia’s High Commissioner to India Ms. Harinder Sidhu at a ceremony in Leela Palace, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
➢ She is the fourth Indian citizen to be awarded Australia’s highest civilian honour.
➢ The award is given to foreign nationals who have extraordinarily contributed to Australia or for humanity.
7. Who has won the Global citizen prize: Cisco Youth Leadership award for 2019 ____Priya Praksah
➢ Priya Prakash, the founder and CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of India-based “HealthSetGo” has won the Global citizen prize: Cisco Youth Leadership award for 2019.
➢ The award was given for her school health program that provides healthcare support to children.
➢ The Award was given by Cisco Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer Fran Katsoudas at Royal Albert Hall, London, United Kingdom (UK).
1. The Diplomat Cup Cricket Championship of 2020 held in Sharjah was won by _____India.
➢ The team of the Indian Consulate has won the Diplomat Cup Cricket Championship of 2020 held in Sharjah.
➢ The team of the Indian Consulate defeated the Pakistan Consulate to win the trophy which was organized by Skyline University College in Sharjah.
➢ The trophy was organised with an aim of uniting the officials and employees of different Consulates based in UAE.
2. Indian wrestler who won her first gold medal of the 2020 season at the Rome Ranking Series in Rome is ____ Vinesh Phogat.
➢ Vinesh Phogat won her first gold medal of the 2020 season at the Rome Ranking Series in Rome. She defeated Ecuador’s Luisa Elizabeth Melendres 4-0 in the final (53 kg) category.
➢ A teen sensation Anshu Malik settled for a silver in 57kg competition. She lost to Nigeria’s Odunayo Adekuoroye for the score 10-0.
3. The Indonesia Badminton Masters 2020 women’s singles title held in Jakarta, Indonesia was won by ____ Ratchanok Intanon.
➢ Thailand’s Ratchanok Intanon wins Indonesia Badminton Masters 2020 women’s singles title in Jakarta, Indonesia.
➢ She defeats Carolina Marin (Spain) 21-19, 11-21, 21-18 in the final clash. The win was her second title in the Indonesian tournament.
4. Who have won the women’s doubles title of the WTA International trophy at Hobart, Australia _____ Sania Mirza (India) and Nadiia Kichenok (Ukraine).
➢ Sania Mirza (India) and Nadiia Kichenok (Ukraine) have won the women’s doubles title of the WTA International trophy at Hobart, Australia.
➢ They beat Shuai Peng and Shuai Zhang from China 6-4,6-4.
➢ It’s Sania’s 42nd WTA doubles title and first since Brisbane International trophy in 2007 with American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands.
5. ICC Under-19 World Cup Cricket 2020 has begun in ____ South Africa.
➢ The ICC Under-19 World Cup Cricket 2020 begins in South Africa. Indian team played under the captaincy of Priyam Garg. The final of the tournament will be played on Feb 09 at JB Marks Oval, Potchefstroom, South Africa.
➢ India is the most successful team in the tournament, having won four titles till date. India is the defending champions in U19 World Cup 2018. Total 16 teams are participating in the tournament, split into four groups of four.