Important News – India
1. The Ministry of Railways is on a mission mode with the goal of transforming Indian Railways into Green Railways by _______ 2030.
➢ All routes on Broad Gauge (BG) network have been planned to be electrified by December Indian Railways has also taken a number of initiatives to promote solar energy.
➢ Indian Railways is working to harness the potential of 500 Mega Watt (MW) energy through rooftop Solar panels (Developer model).
➢ Already awarded for 245 MW and target for completion of these plants is December 2022.
2. India’s first cable-stayed Indian Railways bridge namely “Anji Khad Bridge” is being built by which company which will connect Katra and Reasi in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) _________ Konkan Railway Corporation Limited.
➢ Bridge” being developed by Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL) is all set to connect Katra and Reasi in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
➢ The cable-stayed railway bridge is a part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link (USBRL) project, which passes through the Young Himalayas.
3. India along with which country and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has co-hosted the official launch of 2021 International Year of Fruits and Vegetables ________Chile.
➢ It was called side event of 2020 High-level Political forum – “On the road to the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables 2021: Highlighting health and nutritional benefits through sustainable production and consumption of fruits and vegetables”.
4. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) signed an MoU) with which public sector undertaking to collaborate and support the emerging global opportunities in the airport business ________ Bharat Electronics Ltd.
➢ As AAI will act as the development partner, it will assist BEL in its domain of expertise to enable execution of the MEA projects outside India by BEL.
➢ The MoU is likely to boost the civil aviation industry.
➢ The Organisations will work in cooperation with each other in the civil aviation sector, in present and future projects handled by BEL.
5. Which Indian International Airport introduced India’s first ever fully contactless airport car parking ________ GMR International Airport, Hyderabad.
➢ The NETC FASTag Car Park is a part of the “One Nation One Tag” – NETC FASTag programme of Indian Government.
➢ The GMR airport introduced the first ever National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) FASTag Car Park in India in November 2019.
6. The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved acquisition of HealthCare Global Enterprises Limited (HCG) by which company _______ Aceso Company Pte. Ltd. (Aceso).
➢ CCI has approved acquisition under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
➢ Aceso Company Pte. Ltd. (Aceso) is an entity which forms part of the CVC Network.
➢ The CVC Network consists of three entities which are privately owned and offers investment advice to and / or managing investments on behalf of certain investment funds as well as platforms.
7. Who has inaugurated the 5th edition of the conference on “Aerospace and Defence Manufacturing Technologies“ __________ Shripad Yesso Naik.
➢ Tamil Nadu Technology Development & Promotion Centre (TNTDPC) jointly organised the conference with Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM), and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
8. What will be the length of the Anji Khad Bridge’ being built by Konkan Railway Corporation which will connect Katra and Reasi in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) ________ 473.25 metres.
➢ India’s first cable-stayed Indian Railways bridge namely “Anji Khad Bridge” being developed by Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL) is all set to connect Katra and Reasi in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
➢ The cable-stayed railway bridge is a part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link (USBRL) project, which passes through the Young Himalayas.
9. According to the special bulletin on Maternal Mortality in India 2016-18, released by the Office of the Registrar General’s Sample Registration System (SRS) the Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) in India has declined to ______ 113.
➢ One of the key indicators of maternal mortality is the MMR, defined as the number of maternal deaths per 1,00,000 live births.
➢ The target 3.1 of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) set by the United Nations aims to reduce the global maternal mortality ratio to less than 70 per 1,00,000 live births.
10. India’s largest commercial shipbuilder Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) has signed a contract to build the world’s first fully automatic electric vessel for which country _________ Norway.
➢ The value of two ships is Rs 125 crore, the cost does not include the value for two optional ships.
➢ The vessels are designed by Naval Dynamics Norway, using Kongsberg Maritime systems, with detailed engineering to be carried out by CSL. They will be built under DNV GL Classification and flagged in Norway.
11. India is developing country’s first and Asia’s leading trans-shipment port Vallarpadam Terminal as part of which port of India ________ Kochi.
➢ It is a part of the Cochin Port in Kochi, Kerala
➢ It is located on Vallarpadam Island.
➢ The Kochi International Container Trans-shipment Terminal (ICTT), is known as the Vallarpadam
12. Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering and Technology (CIPET) has been accredited by NABL for Testing and Certification of PPE Kit. CIPET works under which ministry ________ Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
➢ The PPE kit includes Gloves, Coverall, Face Shield, Goggles and Triple Layer Medical masks in line with International Standards.
➢ It is another achievement of CIPET in the fight against COVID- 19 Pandemic and a step forward towards Atmanirbhar Bharat.
13. As per the Railway Ministry private trains are slated to run from ______ 2023.
➢ According to the railway ministry’s projections, the transporter will select the companies that will run the private trains by April 2021.
➢ The first 12 are expected to start plying by 2023-24, followed by 45 more in FY 2024-25, the next 50 in FY 2025-26 and the last 44 by 2026-27.
14. Union Environment and Information & Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar hailed the KURMA mobile application related with which of the following ________ Indian Turtles.
➢ The Mobile Application, KURMA, was launched on 23rd May this year on the occasion of World Turtle Day. The citizen science initiative aims at conservation of turtles and tortoises.
➢ The mobile application has been developed by the Indian Turtle Conservation Action Network (ITCAN) in collaboration with the Turtle Survival Alliance-India and Wildlife Conservation Society-India.
15. An e-Portal named “Automobile Solutions Portal for Industry, Research & Education (ASPIRE)” has been launched by which of the following entities __________ International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT).
➢ The portal has been launched to improve the technological capability of Indian automotive sector with the help of exchange of knowledge & expertise, to make them self reliant and to enable the growth of automobile sector including overall socio-economic progress of the country.
16. The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has integrated a new Artificial Intelligence (AI) course for class XI and XII was developed in collaboration with which tech giant ________ IBM.
➢ The curriculum was developed in collaboration with IBM (International Business Machines Corporation).
➢ The IBM AI curriculum is a part of CBSE’s Social Empowerment through Work Education and Action (SEWA) program.
17. What is India’s rank in the Global Manufacturing Risk Index 2020 _______Third.
➢ The annual Global Manufacturing Risk Index (MRI) report was released by the US-based property consultant Cushman & Wakefield, to rank the most suitable locations for global manufacturing among 48 countries in Europe, Americas, and the Asia-Pacific.
18. Name the biopharmaceutical company that announced a global collaboration agreement with Voluntis to develop and distribute digital therapeutics supporting people with diabetes on biologics therapy _______ Biocon Biologics.
➢ Voluntis, based out of Boston and Paris, creates digital therapeutics that allow people suffering from chronic conditions to manage their treatment on their own every day.
➢ Insulia provides automated insulin dose recommendations enabling people with diabetes to self-manage their condition and healthcare teams to remotely monitor progress.
19. Who inaugurated India’s first public Electric Vehicle charging plaza in New Delhi ________ RK Singh.
➢ The EV charging plaza is a new avenue for making e-mobility ubiquitous and convenient in India.
➢ EESL is spearheading the EV ecosystem development in India by undertaking demand aggregation for procuring EVs and identifying innovative business models for implementation of Public Charging Station.
20. Which initiative has been launched by the Union Human Resource Development Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal to provide psychosocial support to students for their mental health and well-being _______ Manodarpan.
➢ The initiative under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, aims to provide psychosocial support to students for their mental health and well-being.
➢ Named as ‘MANODARPAN’ the initiative is covering a wide range of activities to provide Psychosocial Support to students for their Mental Health & Well-being during the COVID outbreak and beyond.
21. The acquisition wing of Ministry of Defence has signed a contract with which of the following PSUs for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough for Tank T-90 S/SK __________ Bharat Earth Movers Limited, BEML.
➢ The contract has Buy and Make (Indian) categorisation with a minimum of 50 per cent indigenous content in make portion of the contract.
➢ These mine ploughs will be fitted on T-90 Tanks of Indian Armoured Corps which will facilitate individual mobility to Tanks while negotiating mine field.
22. The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports have partnered with which organization to strengthen the youth volunteers in the country to achieve Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan _______ UNICEF.
➢ The GoI has signed a statement with YuWaah of UNICEF. It is a multi-stake holder platform formed by UNICEF.
➢ The YuWaah initiative was launched by UNICEF in India in November 2019.
➢ The initiative promotes access to foundational and 21st century skills for youth inside and outside formal education system. This includes life skills, foundational skills, flexible learning and scaling impactful delivery models.
Important News – State
1. Which state has topped among the other states in the implementation of PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) _______ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ The scheme is presently benefiting the beneficiaries of 378 urban bodies of the state. Till now 8,70,330 street vendors have registered under the scheme, out of which 1,76,000 street vendors have been issued the identity cards and vending certificates.
2. Which state has launched ‘CybHER’, a month-long virtual awareness campaign to make cyberspace safe for women and children ________ Telangana.
➢ The campaign is organised by WSW in collaboration with Legal Aid Centre, Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad.
➢ To tackle cyberattacks in the midst of social isolation due to the coronavirus pandemic by offering proactive measures to stay safe in the digital world.
➢ To create an interactive and informative platform for a healthy discussion on cyber safety
3. Poba Reserve Forest would be upgraded to a wildlife sanctuary is located in which state of India ________Assam.
➢ Assam Chief Minister, Sarbananda Sonowal has announced, Poba Reserve Forest in Dhemaji district would be upgraded to a wildlife sanctuary.
➢ The announcement was made during a meeting with senior officials of Lakhimpur, Dhemaji and Majuli districts at Jonai. Poba Reserve Forest declared in 1924 with an area of 10,522 hectares is home to a large number of flora and fauna.
4. Which state government has announced Renewable Energy Export Policy 2020, which permits the sale of power to the other states of India _________ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Aim of the policy is to utilize the unused potential and to attract private investments to boost the economy and to generate additional revenue to the government.
➢ To implement the projects the New and Renewable Energy Development Corporation of AP Limited (NREDCAP), will be the nodal agency under the new export policy 2020.
5. Which state government has launched ”Navin Rojgar Chhatri Yojana” for all-round development of the Scheduled Castes ________ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has launched ”Navin Rojgar Chhatri Yojana” for all-round development of the Scheduled Castes.
➢ The state government is extending financial help to make people self-dependent.
Important News – World
1. UNICEF India joined hands with which organization to jointly develop UNICEF’s “#Reimagine Campaign” ________ FICCI.
➢ The campaign aims to support the most vulnerable populations and children during the COVID-19 response and its after-math in India.
➢ It will also help in avoiding the potential long-term damage to business operations as well as employment pipeline.
2. Which country has successfully launched “APSTAR-6D” telecommunication satellite via a Long March 3B carrier rocket _______China.
➢ China Academy of Space Technology has developed the commercial satellite ‘APSTAR-6D’. APSTAR-6D marked the 18th Rocket Launched by China in the year 2020.
➢ The APSTAR-6D satellite was developed by the China Academy of Space Technology Corp. (CASC), a subsidiary of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp.
3. Elyes Fakhfakh resigned from the post of prime minister of which country _________ Tunisia.
➢ His resignation has come after a campaign to oust him in a vote of no confidence gathered momentum and to avoid more conflicts between state institutions in the country.
➢ Elyes Fakhfakh was appointed prime minister of Tunisia in January 2020.
4. Which organization has partnered with SAP India to improve the employability skills of young people in a COVID-19 as well as post COVID-19 era __________ UNICEF.
➢ Under this initiative, UNICEF has collaborated with YuWaah (Generation Unlimited) to offer digital education as well as occupational skillset to the underserved young people of India.
➢ The UNICEF – YuWaah – SAP India partnership has a prime objective to empower young people, to utilize their creativity, problem-solving and leadership assets, to improve their own lives as well of their communities.
5. Pakistan and China signed an agreement for the 700 MW Azad Pattan hydel power project being built on which river of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) _________ Jhelum.
➢ The first agreement, for the 1,100 MW Kohala project, was signed on June 23. That project, worth $ 2.3 billion, too will come up on the Jhelum near Muzaffarabad.
➢ Gezhouba set up a special purpose joint venture with the Laraib Group, a Pakistani renewable energy developer.
6. Which country’s apex court dissolved the country’s branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, a transnational Islamist movement _______ Jordan.
➢ The Muslim Brotherhood, founded in Egypt in 1928, is a pan-Islamic movement with both charitable and political arms.
➢ It has faced years of pressure, especially in the wake of the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings, and has been outlawed as a “terrorist” group in Egypt and banned in several other countries.
7. The first Arab space mission dubbed as ‘HOPE Probe’ was launched by United Arab Amirate (UAE) from which of the following countries ________Japan.
➢ H2A, the rocket carrying the Hope Probe to space, was launched from the Tanegashima Space Centre in Japan. It is the Arab world’s first interplanetary landmark mission, putting UAE firmly ahead of all the countries in the Middle East in the area of space and technology.
➢ Hope Probe Spacecraft is expected to reach the Red Planet by February 2021, to coincide with UAE’s 50th anniversary of its formation.
8. The United Nations has declared Noor Wali Mehsud associated with which terrorist organization as a global terrorist __________ Tehrik-e-Taliban.
➢ The UN has blacklisted Mehsud for participating in the financing, planning and perpetrating acts on behalf of and in support of entities associated with al-Qaeda.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been honoured with the Lifetime achievement award by the football club – Mohun Bagan Athletic Club ________ Ashok Kumar.
➢ The Club decided not to celebrate any physical programme for 2020 Mohun Bagan Day on 29th July 2020 due to COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The awards will be personally presented to the awardees available in Kolkata and for the other awardees the award will be handed after the pandemic.
2. What is the rank of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index as the world’s richest man _______6th?
➢ Larry Page is ranked in 7th position with a net worth of USD 71.6 billion, Sergey Brin in 9th position(USD 69.4B) and Elon Musk in 10th position(USD 68.6 billion).
➢ Warren Buffett is ranked in 8th position with a networth of USD 69.7B, after he gave away USD 2.9 billion to charity.
3. Who has been awarded with coveted ‘Infra Business Leader of the Year’ award for 2020 _______ Parkash Dudeja.
➢ He is the vice chairman of Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA).
➢ He has been awarded for his contribution towards the infrastructure development.
4. Who has been awarded the 2020 USIBC Global Leadership Award along with Lockheed Martin CEO Jim Taiclet ________ N Chandrasekaran.
➢ Every year, the USIBC Global Leadership Awards are conferred upon executives in recognition of outstanding leadership and for promoting Indo-US trade and business.
➢ The earlier receivers of this award include Google CEO Sundar Pichai, Google CEO Adena Friedman, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, and Sun Pharmaceuticals Founder and Managing Director Dilip Shanghvi.
5. Who among the following has been awarded with the Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award 2020 ________ Amal Clooney.
➢ In recognition of her tremendous efforts towards the freedom of press, CPJ is awarding Clooney the highly prestigious award.
➢ She has been a strong supporter of CPJ’s advocacy in recent years and has taken up the call for governments to provide emergency visas to journalists in distress. She is currently representing Maria Ressa, CPJ’s 2018 Gwen Ifill award winner, who has been convicted of cyber libel, a criminal offense, in the Philippines.
1. Australian sportsperson Mile Jedinak is associated with which sports who has announced his retirement from the sport _________ Soccer.
➢ He has played in 2010, 2014, 2018 FIFA World Cups.
➢ Mile captained the Socceroos’ to win the 2015 Asian cup in his own country.
➢ He has represented many clubs in his career.
2. The International Olympic Committee has postponed the Dakar 2022 Youth Olympic Games to which year due to COVID 19 Pandemic ________2026.
➢ The postponement of Dakar 2022 allows the IOC, the National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and the International Federations (IFs) to better plan their activities, which have been strongly affected by the postponement of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
3. Sports person Marcus Rashford becomes the youngest ever recipient of an honorary degree from The University of Manchester is associated with which sports _________ Football.
➢ He will receive the degree in recognition of his achievements as a footballer and as a passionate campaigner against child poverty.
➢ He will follow in the footsteps of Manchester United legends Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton by receiving an honorary doctorate.
4. Who has won the Formula-1 Hungarian Grand Prix 2020 at Hungaroring, Mogyoród, Hungary ________ Lewis Hamilton.
➢ Lewis Hamilton won the Formula-1 Hungarian Grand Prix 2020 at Hungaroring, Mogyoród, Hungary. Max Verstappen (Dutch-Red Bull) was second, followed by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes- Finland) at the third spot.
➢ Hungarian Grand Prix 2020 was the third race of the 2020 Formula One World Championship.
5. World cup winner famous footballer Andre Schurrle has announced retirement from the sport held from which country _______ Germany.
➢ He helped his country to win the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He represented Germany in 57 matches, scoring 22 goals.
➢ He also played for Chelsea from 2013-15 and also won a Premier League winners medal in 2015.
6. Who has won the Moto Grand Prix 2020 _______ Fabio Quartararo.
➢ Quartararo, 21, who rides for the Yamaha satellite outfit, had started on pole position and his main threat was removed when reigning world champion Marquez crashed out on lap 20.
7. Which Football Club has been crowned with the La Liga Champions for the 34th time after defeating Villarreal 2–1 at Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano ________ Real Madrid.
➢ Karim Benzema was the leading scorer for a 2-1 victory against Villarreal.
➢ Real Madrid, who are standing at the top spot with 26 wins from 37 matches, will lock horns with Leganes in their last game of the 2019-2020 La Liga season on July 20. Last time the team won the title in 2017.
8. Due to COVID-19 the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup has formally been postponed to ______ 2022.
➢ Besides rescheduling the T20 World Cup to October-November, 2022 the ICC Board also decided to push the 2023 ODI World Cup in India to October-November 2023 from its designated window in February-March, 2023
Books and Authors
1. Who has authored the book titled “If It Bleeds” _______ Stephen King.
➢ The book published by Hachette India. The book has the story centres around a bomb at Albert Macready Middle School.
➢ It is a sequel to his bestselling work, “The Outsider”.
2. Who has authored the book titled ‘The Endgame’ ________ S Hussain Zaidi.
➢ The book has been published by HarperCollins India.
➢ “The Endgame” gives the readers a close-up of complex political machinery at work, including state security, defence services, and intelligence agencies like – all building up to an explosive climax.
Science and Defence
1. Which IIT has developed an Ultraviolet (UV) sanitizing product, ’SHUDH’ to make Surroundings COVID free ______ IIT Kanpur.
➢ SHUDH is a smartphone operated Handy UV Disinfection Helper.
➢ It helps to make the surroundings COVID free especially the highly prone places such as hospitals, hotels, malls, offices and schools.
➢ SHUDH has 6 UV lights each of 15 Watts, which can be monitored individually from a distance.
2. The scientists from which institutions have developed low cost, environment friendly super capacitor from industrial waste cotton _________ International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials.
➢ The capacitor can be used as energy harvester storage device.
➢ The scientists have used natural seawater as the aqueous electrolyte.
➢ This has reduced the cost of super capacitors greatly.
3. Which IIT has developed world’s most affordable Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) based COVID-19 diagnostic kit “Corosure” _______ IIT Delhi.
➢ The kit was e-Launched by Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, the Union Minister of Human Resource Development (MoHRD).
➢ It was approved by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI).
4. India’s first fully indigenously developed vaccine against pneumonia, ‘Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Conjugate Vaccine’ got approval from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) has been developed by which institutions ____________ Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd.
➢ The vaccine is administered in an intramuscular manner.
➢ The Serum Institute of India first obtained the approval of the DCGI to conduct Phase I, II and III clinical trials of the vaccine in India.
➢ These trials have since been concluded within the country. The company also conducted the clinical trials in Gambia.
5. Indian Navy undertook a passing exercise ‘PASSEX’ with the navy of which country in the Indian Ocean Region _______USA.
➢ US Navy carrier strike group, led by USS Nimitz and Indian Navy conducted the maritime drills, PASSEX, which aims at further enhancing interoperability between Navies of both the countries.
➢ The Nimitz Carrier Strike Group is on its way to be deployed in the Gulf region from the South China Sea.
➢ Indian Navy had also recently conducted similar joint exercises with Japanese and French Navy.
6. The three-days long Air Force Commanders’ Conference to be held in which of the following cities of India _________ New Delhi.
➢ The Air Force Commanders’ Conference will be chaired by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria.
➢ During the three day conference the discussions would take stock of the current operational scenario and deployments.
7. The researchers of which University have come up with a new app that can detect mental conditions like anxiety and depression based on how you use your phone ________ Dalhousie University.
➢ The app is called PROSIT and includes tracking features like exercise, sleep, call frequency, message histories and music tastes.