Banking & Financial Awareness
1. Which financial institutions has organised its first ‘Digital Choupal’ to mark its 39th foundation day _________NABARD.
➢ “Digital Choupal” was conducted in the form of a video conference which was attended by participants of different projects initiated by NABARD, to share their experiences about the projects they are involved in.
2. What will be the maximum entry age for the short-term standard health policies for Covid-19 viz. Corona Kavach and Corona Rakshak that were made mandatory to launch by IRDAI _______65 Years.
➢ Notably, the premium under both the products shall be the pan-India basis and no geographic location or zonebased pricing will be allowed.
➢ Minimum entry age for both the policies will be 18 years and the maximum 65
3. NABARD has disbursed Rs 2.51 crore of grant assistance to Self Help Groups (SHGs) for promotion, skill development and digitisation of records in which state _______ Karnataka.
➢ This funding is a part of EShakti or Digitisation of SHGs an initiative of Micro Credit and Innovations Department (mCID) of NABARD.
➢ The project is being implemented in 250 districts across the country.
4. Alphabet Inc’s Google to buy what per cent stake in Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)’s Jio Platforms for Rs 33,737 crores _________7.73 per cent.
➢ With this, Jio Platforms has raised a total of Rs 1,52,055.45 crore.
➢ This investment values Jio Platforms at an equity value of Rs 4.36 lakh crore.
➢ With this deal, RIL holds 67.03% stake in Jio Platforms, while other investors hold 32.97% stake.
5. Which bank has adopted an Agile Technology Platform ‘CRMNEXT’ for deeper customer engagement ________ IndusInd Bank.
➢ The CRMNEXT platform will empower IndusInd Bank with an intelligence-driven customer action centre which will provide complete information on customers acquired from multiple sources, and make it available on a single intuitive screen.
➢ The platform will be implemented across IndusInd Bank's wide network of nearly 2,000 branches, call centres andprocessing units for sales and service operations.
6. In which state/UT the NABARD has launched development projects of Rs 44 lakhs to strengthen the Atmanirbhar Bharat through rural entrepreneurship ________ Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
➢ The development projects include formation and development of Self-Help Groups(SHGs).
➢ The development project will help in skill development of SHGs members to promote rural entrepreneurship at the micro level.
➢ NABARD will conduct 385 village-level programmes. It will also provide training to leaders of newly formed SHGs with an amount of more than RS 10 lakh.
7. Domestic rating agency ICRA has revised its forecast for contraction in the country's GDP in the current fiscal to what percent from 5 per cent earlier _________9.5 per cent.
➢ Most of the analysts have projected the country's GDP to contract in the range of 5-6.5 per cent in this fiscal.
➢ It said the country's economy may have contracted by a sharp 25 per cent in the first quarter of FY21, and expects a shallow recovery in the subsequent quarters, with a contraction of 12.4 per cent in the second quarter of FY21 and a milder 2.3 per cent in the third quarter, followed by a growth of 1.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of FY21.
8. Which of the following banks has offered a follow-on public offer ________ Yes Bank.
➢ The follow-on offer received 847.82 crore bids by the end of the final day of issue, against its total size of 909.98 crore shares, marking a subscription of 93.17 per cent, data from the National Stock Exchange (NSE) showed.
➢ Yes Bank plans to utilise the proceeds from issue to meet its capital requirements for the next two years.
9. Who has been appointed as the managing Director and Chief Executive officer of Federal Bank Limited ________ Shyam Srinivasan.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) approved the reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan as the managing Director and Chief Executive officer of Federal bank Limited with effect from September 23, 2020.
➢ In June 2020, RBI proposed to limit the tenure of the CEO’s and Whole Time Directors (WTDs) from the promoter and non-promoter groups to 10 years and 15 years respectively.
➢ The RBI also proposed to limit the upper age limit of the CEOs and WTDs of the Banks to 70 years.
10. In the new World Bank country classifications by income level 2020-2021, India remains in the classification of ________ Lower Middle-income economy.
➢ According to the New World Bank country classifications by income level 2020-2021, India remains in the classification, Lower-Middle-Income Economy.
➢ In total 218 countries have been included in this classification.
➢ The World Bank classifies countries into four income groups namely: low income , lower-middle income, uppermiddle income, and high-income economies.
11. Airports Authority of India signed an MoU with which company to collaborate and support the emerging global opportunities in the airport business _________Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL).
➢ The MoU is likely to boost the civil aviation industry.
➢ This MoU will provide for the synergy of capabilities of both the organisations in their particular field.
12. NABARD has sanctioned what amount to West Bengal to reconstruct infrastructure which was damaged by Cyclone Amphan(May) under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) ________ Rs 795 crore.
➢ The state government appealed for Rs 1,028 crore from NABARD to repair the damage under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF).
➢ After the appeal Rs 795 crore was sanctioned.
➢ NABARD has already provided Rs 145 crore under RIDF to the state as special liquidity support to enhance rural infrastructure considering the COVID-19 pandemic.
13. As per the research report of India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra), Centre’s fiscal deficit is estimated to increase to _________7.6% .
➢ The aggregate of the central and state fiscal deficit in FY21 is 12.1%, with the states contributing 4.5%.
➢ States like Assam, Goa, Gujarat and Sikkim are likely to experience double digit contraction in GDP.
1. Name the first woman election commissioner of Maharashtra who passed away recently ________ Neela Satyanarayan.
➢ The 1972 batch officer was admitted at the Seven Hills Hospital, Mumbai after she was diagnosed with COVID-19.
➢ Neela Satyanarayan retired in 2014. She has penned more than 150 songs. Also, she has composed music for several Marathi movies.
2. Renowned personality John Lewis passed away recently, he was a veteran ________ Civil Rights Activist of US.
➢ He was also the youngest and last survivor of the Big Six civil rights activists, a group led by the Reverand Martin Luther King Jr that had the greatest impact on the movement.
➢ He was best known for leading around 600 protesters in the Bloody Sunday march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama.
3. Renowned personality Professor C. S. Seshadri passed away recently, he was a veteran ______ Mathematician.
➢ A leader in the field of algebraic geometry, he made breakthroughs that lie at the base of many branches of this profound discipline.
➢ Seshadri began his career at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research as one of the first batches of graduate students.
➢ He moved to Chennai in 1984, to the Institute of Mathematical Sciences. In 1989, he got an opportunity to start the School of Mathematics as part of the SPIC Science Foundation, which has evolved into the Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI).
4. Renowned personality Lalji Tondon passed away recently, he was governor of which state of India _________ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ Lal Ji Tandon was the governor of Bihar between August 2018 and July 2019 when he took over as Madhya Pradesh's Governor. In 2009, the senior BJP leader and a protege of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, succeeded him as the Lucknow MP.
➢ He began his career from his hometown Lucknow in the 1970s and had also served as a state minister in Uttar Pradesh several times between 1991 and 2003.
5. Renowned personality Bijay Mohanty passed away, recently he was a veteran _______ Actor.
➢ His performance in his debut film, Chilika Tire, earned him several accolades including the National Film Award.
➢ He is most famous for negative roles in films including Samay Bada Balaban, Naga Phasa, Sahari Bagha, Danda Balunga and Chaka Bhaunri.
6. Rajat Mukherjee who passed away recently was a famous _______Film Maker.
➢ Rajat Mukherjee directed Urmila Matondkar, Fardeen Khan, Sonali Kulkarni and Rajpal Yadav in 2001's Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya.
➢ He also directed the 2004 film Love In Nepal, which starred singer Sonu Nigam, Rajpal Yadav and Flora Saini.
1. World Youth Skills Day is observed every year on which date _______ 15th July.
➢ It was designated by the General Assembly in 2014.
➢ Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed a digital conclave on the occasion of World Youth Skills Day (WYSD).
2. World Day for International Justice is observed every year on which date _________17th July.
➢ 17 July every year to mark the importance of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and for the people to pay attention to serious crimes happening around the world.
➢ 17 July is the Day of International Criminal Justice.
➢ It marks the anniversary of the adoption of the Rome Statute on 17 July 1998, the founding treaty of the ICC, which seeks to protect people from genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and the crime of aggression.
3. United Nations celebrates World Chess Day globally every year on which date _________20th July.
➢ The day marks the date of the establishment of the International Chess Federation (FIDE) in Paris in 1924.
➢ To celebrate the International Chess Day 2020 top chess personalities will participate in a high-level virtual event “Chess for Recovering Better”.
4. To mark the anniversary of man’s first historic landing on the moon the Space Exploration Day is celebrated every year on ________20th July.
➢ On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Buzz became the first humans to land on moon’s surface.
➢ The Armstrong-Aldrin duo spent 21.5 hours on the surface of the moon.
➢ Also, they spent 2.5 hours outside of their capsules.
➢ The day is mainly celebrated in the United States.
5. Nelson Mandela International Day is celebrated every year on which date by the United Nations _______18th July.
➢ The day acknowledges Nelson Mandela’s contribution to the struggle for democracy internationally and the promotion of a culture of peace throughout the world.
➢ Nelson Mandela Day is an occasion for all to take action and inspire change.
1. Who has been appointed as the vice president of Asian Development Bank (ADB) _______ Ashok Lavasa.
➢ Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa has been appointed as vice president of the Philippines-based Asian Development Bank (ADB).
➢ Lavasa still has over two years left in his term at the Election Commission of India. He would have retired as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) in October 2022.
2. Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of SportsAdda, the news and information website for Cricket, Football and Kabaddi _________ Brett Lee.
➢ As the brand ambassador of SportsAdda, Lee conducts activities like quizzes, bowling masterclasses, Q&A’s and giveaways featured exclusively on the SportsAdda’s app, social media and website.
3. Who among the following has been elected as the President of Suriname ________ Chandrikapersad “Chan” Santokhi.
➢ Santokhi won Desi Bouterse, former military strongman of National Party of Suriname (NPS) in the general elections held in May.
➢ He was born in Suriname, a former dutch colony, and studies in Police academy, Netherlands.
➢ He was a police inspector in Suriname from 1991 and was named chief of Police.
4. Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda has been appointed as the first woman prime minister of which country ________ Gabon.
➢ Prior to holding this position, Ossouka Raponda served as Defence Minister since February 2019.
➢ Her appointment is the fourth cabinet reshuffle by the President of Gabon, Ali Bongo Ondimba since January 2019.
5. Who has been appointed as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of SBI Card _________ Ashwini Kumar Tewari.
➢ The new appointment will be valid for two years and his appointment will come into effect from August 1, 2020. He was nominated by parent State Bank of India for the position.
➢ Tewari’s appointment is followed by the resignation of present MD & CEO, Hardayal Prasad who decided to quit from the directorship of the company owing to his voluntary retirement from the State Bank of India.
6. Who has become the highest-paid banker for FY20 with Rs.18.92 cr in remuneration________ Aditya Puri.
➢ HDFC Bank Managing Director Aditya Puri has emerged as the highest paid banker among the top lenders for FY 2019-20, with a 38 per cent jump in salary and prerequisites to Rs.18.92 crore.
7. Who has been appointed as the new Chairman of IT company, HCL Technologies ________ Roshni Nadar Malhotra.
➢ The appointment of non-executive director Roshni Nadar Malhotra to the new role takes effect immediately. She will replace her father, Shiv Nadar.
➢ Shiv Nadar will continue to be HCL Tech’s managing director, with the designation as the chief strategy officer.