Important News – India
1. The 40th GST council meet was held recently virtually, who is the chairperson of the GST council ______ Union Finance Minister.
➢ Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman chaired the virtual 40th GST Council Meeting.
➢ The key outcome of this meet was further relief on late fee and interest payable on late payments as a part of compliance burden of businesses.
➢ This was the first meeting after COVID-19 breakout in India.
2. Who will chair the advisory committee formed by the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) on Corporate Insolvency Resolution and Liquidation process ________ Uday Kotak.
➢ The new 14-member committee, formed in August 2017, will be chaired by Uday Kotak, the Executive Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Kotak Mahindra Bank.
➢ It will suggest and provide professional support on a request from the IBBI or on its own volition on any matter with respect to the Corporate Insolvency resolution and liquidation dealt with by the Board under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016.
3. Which of the following construction company becomes the first of its kind in the construction sector to go fully digital _______NHAI.
➢ With the launch of cloud-based and artificial intelligence-powered big data analytics platform Data Lake and Project Management Software, the entire project management workflow of NHAI has been transformed from manual to the online portal based.
➢ All project documentation, contractual decisions and approvals are now being done through the portal only.
4. Which IIT has developed an Artificial Intelligence-based cyber-physical system to monitor social distancing in public places_________ IIT Kharagpur.
➢ The device will play a proximity alert sound through audio output, whenever any violation will occur.
➢ It captures images of the field view and computes the distance as per criteria set by the government.
➢ The system has been successfully tested by installing three prototypes of the device within the IITKharagpur campus
5. Name the device launched by Union Minister of State for Home Affairs G Kishan Reddy that kills viruses & other germs by sterilising, sanitising & disinfecting in large areas _________ GermiBAN.
➢ The device has been developed by Atal Incubation Centre & Association of Lady Entrepreneurs of India (ALEAP) Women Entrepreneurs (WE) HUB.
➢ The recently launched device has the capability of killing 99.9% of surface and air microbes.
6. What is India’s rank in the annual World Competitiveness Index 2020 compiled by Institute for Management Development (IMD) ______43rd.
➢ In 2019, India was at the 43rd ranking. Since 1989, India had ranked 41st in the World Competitiveness Ranking.
➢ However, it slipped to 45th rank in 2017 and secured 44th in 2018.
7. According to the SIPRI Yearbook 2020 what is India’s position as nuclear weapons holder in the world _______6th.
➢ However, India’s overall possession of nuclear weapons is less than half of Beijing’s and also slightly lower than what Pakistan possesses.
➢ The number of nuclear warheads in the Indian arsenal pegged at 150 in comparison to the 2019 report (on the basis of 2018) when India had 130-140.
➢ On the other hand, China’s nuclear arsenal calculated at 320 as compared to 290 of SIPRI’s 2019 report while Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal remained constant at 160 in comparison to 2019’s 150-160.
8. Which IIT has developed an Artificial Intelligence-powered COVID-19 test, which can be performed at an affordable cost _______ IIT Hyderabad.
➢ The test kit can produce results in around 20 minutes for symptomatic and asymptomatic patients.
➢ The test kit has already been field-tested at ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Hyderabad to ascertain its efficiency.
➢ It can be transported quickly, enabling the test to be conducted at the p oint-of-care.
9. Integrated Flood Warning System (IFLOWS) has been launched for which city ______Mumbai.
➢ Named as 'Boon' and developed for Mumbai it will help the people in a "big way" as it can predict floods.
➢ The system was developed by the Ministry of Earth Sciences and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
➢ The device will be very useful, especially if people need to be evacuated from low-lying areas.
10. Which city’s Municipal Corporation has launched a mobile application “Air-Venti” to provide information on ICU beds, ventilators ________ Mumbai.
➢ Octaware Technologies Limited, in partnership with Probity Soft Pvt Ltd, has developed this mobile application for MCGM and therefore the data regarding the ICU beds and Ventilators vacant status.
➢ The mobile app ‘Air-Venti’ launched by the civic body in Mumbai aims to supply overall statistics of ICU beds and ventilators that are occupied and vacant in both govt and private hospitals besides location map, ability to contact hospital through telephonic call and email is additionally available.
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi going to launch a massive rural public works scheme, Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan in how many states of India ________Six.
➢ The campaign aims to provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and rural citizens.
➢ The campaign of 125 days will be implemented on mission mode.
➢ It will involve intensified and focused implementation of 25 different types of works to provide employment to the migrant workers and create infrastructure in the rural regions of the country.
➢ The scheme entails a resource envelope of 50 thousand crore rupees.
12. Which IT company has partnered with IBM to co-develop to accelerate digital and cognitive enterprise transformation _______ TCS.
➢ As part of the tie up, TCS will establish an IBM Enterprise Cloud Architecture Unit, which will include technical professionals from both companies.
➢ TCS and IBM plan to co-develop solutions designed to help clients migrate workloads across applications, analytics, data estate and platforms.
13. Composite Regional Centre (CRC) for Skill Development, Rehabilitation and Employment of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs)” has been inaugurated in which city _______ Ranchi.
➢ The centre was inaugurated by Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Thaawarchand Gehlot, and Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda.
➢ This is the 21st Composite Regional Centre (CRC) which will serve to fulfil the needs of Persons with Disabilities in Jharkhand.
14. Who will lead the high-powered committee of top executives of technology companies formed by NITI Aayog to develop a job platform for migrant labours who lost their job during lock down ________ Amitabh Kant.
➢ The committee will look into technology-based measures to address the issue related to migrant laborers. ➢ The platform, which will use technology with public and private participation, will connect job seekers, employers, government agencies, skill centers and external partners who are using new technology such as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML).
15. India’s first nationwide online delivery-based natural gas trading platform, “Indian Gas Exchange (IGX)” has been launched with headquartered in __________ New Delhi.
➢ It has been launched on the lines of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to provide clean, affordable, sustainable and equitable supply of energy to every citizen.
➢ Notably, IGX will work as a wholly owned subsidiary of the India Energy Exchange (IEX), which is India’s energy market platform.
➢ IGX is headed by Rajiv Srivastava as its Director.
16. Which two Indian Startups were featured in the List of Technology Pioneers of 2020, released by the World Economic Forum(WEF) _______ Stellapps and Zestmoney.
➢ The List includes the pioneers focusing on carbon capture, alternative meat, circular economies, food security and financial access.
➢ More than 25 industries in the list are led by females which is twice the industry average.
17. Indian Railways’ Central Railway zone has installed 1st of its kind an Automated Ticket Checking & Managing Access (ATMA) machine at _________Nagpur station.
➢ The machine has been introduced at the station under the New, Innovative Non Fare Revenue Ideas Scheme(NINFRIS) policy to prevent transmission of COVID-19.
➢ This is an Innovative Earning Contract, implemented by Nagar(NGP) Central Railways(CR) for the prevention of COVID-19.
➢ ATMA ensures safety for passengers & railway staff as it adheres to social distancing norms
Important News – State
1. Which state government has set up a labour commission to ensure social and economic security for migrant workers ______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The objective of the Commission is to provide maximum employment to the workers at the local level in private and non-government sector as per their skill and employment opportunities.
➢ The workers in the state will be given access to employment opportunities by skill development and it will also help the economy of the state gain momentum.
2. Which state government has launched Karmo Bhumi, a job portal to help IT professionals who have lost their jobs after the outbreak of COVID-19 and returned to the state _______West Bengal.
➢ IT professionals can use the portal ‘Karmo Bhumi’ to connect with companies based in the state.
➢ A web portal will act as a medium between the professionals and IT companies in Bengal.
➢ There are around 700 IT and ITeS companies at Salt Lake Sector V and Rajarhat where at present around 2.5 lakh people work.
3. Which state government has decided to adopt the scheme of Flatted Factory Model, which means the non-polluting industries can operate in Multistoried buildings ______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The committee is headed by Alok Kumar Principal Secretary (Infrastructure & Industrial Development).
➢ The members of the committee includes the Chief Executive officers(CEOs) of UPSIDA. NOIDA, Greater Noida and Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA).
4. Which has become the top state in India to provide employment to the workers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA) _______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ According to the data released, 57 lakh 12975 workers got employment is around 57 thousand village panchayats of the state which is 18% of the total work generated under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) in the country.
➢ The state government has generated 7.93 crore man-days and the government will provide jobs to 10 lakh more workers.
5. Which state government has decided to start ‘Ektu Khelo, Ektu Padho’ –meaning ‘Play Little, Study Little’ scheme ______ Tripura.
➢ The scheme will be implemented via SMS or WhatsApp. For students, those who have access to smartphones of their parents will be able to access the scheme through WhatsApp. For students having feature phones, they will be able to access through SMS.
➢ The objective of the scheme is to make sure that students invest their time in studies during these times of uncertainty as it could still take a couple of months for schools to reopen due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Important News – World
1. Which initiative has been launched by the United Nations to fight the spreading of misinformation (Infodemic) about COVID-19 with fact-based accurate information _______ Verified.
➢ The initiative is led by the United Nations Department of Global Communication(DGC) with an aim to provide facts about COVID-19 in the digital space.
➢ The initiative is a collaboration with Purpose, one of the world’s leading social mobilization organizations, and supported by the IKEA Foundation and Luminate.
➢ UN also partners with First Draft, an organization which closely monitors the spread of misinformation.
2. Which country has announced ‘Jet Zero’ plan to drive down aviation emissions and to make carbon-free transatlantic flights possible _______United Kingdom.
➢ The U.K. is chasing a target to make the country a net-zero economy by 2050, and transport emissions are proving among the toughest to get down.
➢ Aviation emissions currently account for more than 2% of global greenhouse gases, and have risen by 70% since 2005.
➢ The International Civil Aviation Organization forecasts that they will rise another 300% by 2050 in the absence of measures to bring them down.
3. Indian Railways has created a new world benchmark by successfully running first Double-Stack Container Train in highrise in Over Head Equipment electrified territory on ________ Western Railway.
➢ This achievement is a first of its kind in the entire world and will also boost the ambitious mission of Green India.
➢ The Operations successfully commenced on 10th June from Palanpur and Botad stations in Gujarat.
4. Name the features launched by Microsoft to engage and prepare students and teachers for new remote and hybrid learning formats in the upcoming school year ________ Teams for Education.
➢ These features include expanded audience view of up to 49 participants, custom backgrounds, class insights, and virtual breakout rooms, among other new features.
➢ Aimed at increasing student participation and give educators new methods to keep students digitally engaged, Teams will expand its grid view to 7x7, accommodating up to 49 participants.
5. Which country has been elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for a two-year term from the Asia-Pacific category for the 2021-22 term _______India.
➢ Along with India, Ireland, Mexico and Norway also won the Security Council elections held last night. India was a candidate for a non-permanent seat from the Asia-Pacific category for the 2021-22 term.
➢ India's two-year term will begin on January 1, 2021.
6. India will send 75-member Tri-Service contingent to participate in the military parade to which country on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the victory in the Second World War _______ Russia.
➢ The parade will honour the heroism and sacrifices made by the Russian and other friendly people.
➢ Defence Minister of Russia had invited an Indian contingent to take part in the Victory Day Parade scheduled to be held on 24th of this month.
7. With which country India signed a credit financing agreement promising 200 million euros to support the social welfare system and India’s covid response _________ France.
➢ The fund will be provided to India through the AFD, French Development Agency.
➢ The agreement was signed in India by C.S. Mohapatra, Additional Secretary of the Department of Economic Affairs, and Bruno Bosle, Director of AFD, French Development Agency in the virtual presence of Emmanuel Lenain, Ambassador of France to India.
8. Accordance to the annual report on displacement titled “Global Trends- Forced Displacement in 2019″ released by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) what percent of world population faced forced displacement ________ Approx 1.0 per cent.
➢ On the Global front, the displacement number is 79.5 million or one in every 97 people on the planet at the end of 2019. This number of forced displacement has almost doubled since 2010 (41 million).
➢ It should be noted that this figure is the highest since these statistics have been systematically collected. It is approximately 1% of the world’s population
Honor & Awards
1. Who among the following has been adjudged as the winner of New Zealand’s first ‘Virtual’ Chef competition – the ‘Quality NZ Culinary Cup’ held in India _______ Angad Singh Rana.
➢ Chef Angad Singh Rana has won QualityNZ Culinary Cup 2020. The award was announced by Cricket legend and Chennai Super Kings coach Stephen Fleming.
➢ This award is the New Zealand’s first ‘Virtual’ Chef competition – the ‘Quality NZ Culinary Cup’ held in India.
2. Which organization has won the Biodiversity award 2020 of Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation _____ Deccan Development Society (DDS).
➢ The award was announced in a teleconference by Olivier Wenden, Vice President and CEO of the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation.
➢ The award is given to recognise the individuals for their actions and the organisations for their contribution in preserving the planet in the three priority areas of the foundation.
3. Which state/UTs has been conferred with three prestigious Deen Dayal Upadhyay Sashaktikaran Puraskar for its outstanding contribution to the socio-economic development of the Gram Panchayats across the state/UTs ______ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ Panchayat Rathal, (Block Rajouri) and Panchayat Badakana, (Block Thana Mandi) of District Rajouri and Panchayat Meej, (Block Pampore) of Pulwama district were adjudged the best performing panchayats in recognition of their work in improving the delivery of services for socio economic development and implementation of various schemes.
1. IM Vijayan has been recommended for the fourth highest civilian award in India, the Padmashri, is associated with which sports _______ Football.
➢ IM Vijayan has scored 40 goals in over 79 matches. He won the Arjuna award in 2003. Also, in 1993, 1997 and in 1999 he was awarded the best Indian “Player of the year”.
➢ Padmashri is the fourth highest civilian award in India. The other three highest civilian awards include Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan and Padma Bhushan.
➢ The awards are presented by the President of India during Republic Day celebrations of the country.
2. The 4th edition of Asian Youth Para Games to be held in which country in December 2021 _______ Bahrain.
➢ Around 800 athletes under 20 years aged are expected to compete in nine sports: athletics, badminton, boccia, goalball, para taekwondo, powerlifting, swimming, table tennis and wheelchair basketball.
➢ The event is being organised in conjunction with the National Paralympic Committee (NPC) of Bahrain with the support of the government.
3. Who has won the World Stars Sharjah Online International Chess Championship 2020 _______ Shakhriyar Mamedyarov.
➢ He won the coveted title and price of $3000 after scoring 7.5 points from 10 rounds.
➢ Indian Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna finished second in the Championship after scoring 6.5 points from 10 rounds.
➢ Sharjah Online International Chess Championship was hosted by the Sharjah Cultural & Chess Club.
4. Name the Indian tennis player who has been elected as a player member to ITF World Tennis Tour Player Men’s panels _______ Niki Poonacha.
➢ The Men’s and Women’s Panel will be headed by Mark Woodforde and Mary Pierce respectively who are the athlete representatives on the ITF board of directors.
➢ Poonacha is chosen as one of the two players from Asia/Oceania locale with a second-most noteworthy number of votes (62) among all challenging players.