Important News – India
1. The Mumbai Central Station to be renamed after ________ Nana Shankarsheth.
➢ The Maharashtra Government has approved to rename the Mumbai Central Station as Nana Shankarsheth Mumbai Central Railway Station.
➢ The Mumbai Central Station has been re-named to Nana Shankarsheth Central Railway Station as his involvement in the formation of Indian Railway association was pivotal to the country.
➢ The Bombay Central is designed by British architect Claude Batley. The first railway in India ran over 21 miles from Bombay to Thane.
2. WINGS INDIA 2020 an international exhibition and conference was held in _______ Hyderabad.
➢ The conference was held between March 12-15 is a biennial event.
➢ The event was themed as ‘Flying for All’ is an International Exhibition & Conference.
➢ The exhibition was organized by Ministry of Civil Aviation & Airports Authority of India(AAI) & Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
3. What amount has been spent under MNREGA in 2017-2020 ______ Rs 1.83 lakh crore.
➢ The government states that Rs 1.83 lakh crore is spent under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, (MNREGA) in 2017-2020 which is nearly double the amount of Rs 92,483 crore spent in 2011-14
➢ Indian legislation enacted on August 25, 2005. It provides a legal guarantee for 100 days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household who willingly does unskilled manual work.
4. The government proposed masks & hand sanitizers under _______Essential Commodities Act 1955.
➢ The government amended Essential Commodities (EC) Act, 1955 to declare 2 ply & 3 ply surgical masks, N95 masks & hand sanitizers as Essential Commodities up to 30th June 2020.
➢ It also issued a consultation under the Legal Metrology(LM) Act,2009 that under EC law, after consultations with manufacturers, states can ask them to increase the production capacity of these products & streamline the supply chain, while states can ensure the sale of both products under MRP under the LM Act.
5. How much amount has been offered by India in the proposed COVID-19 Emergency Fund for SAARC Nation by PM Narendra Modi ______ US $10 million.
➢ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has proposed the formulation of a common strategy to tackle COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) region during the video conference with SAARC representatives.
➢ PM Modi has proposed the creation of COVID-19 Emergency Fund through voluntary contributions from all SAARC Nations.
➢ This fund can be used by any of the partner countries to meet the cost of immediate actions.
6. As per the Minister of Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari the number of deaths caused due to road accidents have been reduced by ________10%.
➢ Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari revealed that the number of deaths caused due to road accidents has been reduced by 10% in India after the Motor Vehicles (Amended) Act 2019.
➢ From 12 states and union territories, Tamil Nadu made notable progress in reducing road accidents by 24% which is the maximum anywhere in the country.
7. Government targeted to achieve sales around 70 lakh hybrid & electric vehicles by the end of ________2020.
➢ The Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change & Minister of Information & Broadcasting & Minister of Heavy industries and Public Enterprises Prakash Javadekar informed that the government has set an ambitious target to achieve sales of around 70 lakh hybrid & electric vehicles by the end of 2020.
➢ In 2015 as part of the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan(NEMMP) 2020, Department of Heavy Industry formulated the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India) scheme.
8. As per the New & Renewable Energy, (MNRE) Ministry till March 13, 2020, Rooftop solar power plants in India installed at _______1,922 MW.
➢ Minister of State Independent Charge (IC) of, New & Renewable Energy, (MNRE) and Power, Minister of State of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Raj Kumar(RK) Singh stated till March 13, 2020, the rooftop solar plants contain an aggregate capacity of 1,922 MW are installed in the country.
➢ Out of the total capacity, 346 MW is installed in the residential sector.
9. Banihal to Katra railway link to be completed by _______2022.
➢ It is part of the Udhampur- Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project.
➢ It is to be completed before the 75th Independence day of India.
➢ This completion will pave the way for the creation of Indian rail from Kanyakumari to Baramulla.
➢ The Katra-Banihal railway track is a 111-km long stretch which will link Kashmir Valley with the rest of the country by train.
10. The central government has included which two sites in the Iconic Tourist Sites list ________ Konark Sun Temple & Statue of Unity.
➢ The move has been taken after the ministry got the proposals from the Odisha Chief Minister (CM)- Naveen Patnaik, the Union Petroleum Minister – Dharmendra Pradhan and other delegations.
➢ A total of 17 iconic tourist sites were identified by the government of India in 2019. It includes- Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri (Uttar Pradesh), Ajanta and Ellora (Maharashtra), Humayun’s Tomb, Red Fort and Qutub Minar (Delhi), Colva (Goa), Amer Fort (Rajasthan), Somnath and Dholavira (Gujarat), Khajuraho (Madhya Pradesh), Hampi (Karnataka), Mahabalipuram (Tamil Nadu), Kaziranga (Assam), Kumarakom (Kerala) and Mahabodhi Temple (Bihar).
11. Under ‘Stand up India scheme’ what loan amount government has sanctioned to women _________ Rs 20,466.94 crore.
➢ According to the Minister of State (MoS) for Finance & Corporate Affairs,Shri Anurag Singh Thakur, the central government has sanctioned a loan of Rs 20,466.94 crores to over 91,000 accounts up to March 10,2020 since inception of the Stand-Up India scheme, as it counted the work being done for the empowerment of women.
➢ It was launched on April 5, 2016, to promote entrepreneurship for economic empowerment and job creation.
12. Indian Railways to electrify all broad gauge routes by _______December 2023.
➢ Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal informed that Indian Railway(IR) Ministry plans to electrify all broad gauge(BG) routes by December 2023.
➢ As a target to electrify 4,310 km of BG route in the year 2023-2024 (till December 2023), it is planned to electrify a total of 28,810 km of BG route.
➢ ii.As part of its solar mission, it plans to source approximately 1000 megawatt (MW) of solar power & to source around 200 MV of wind power, based on the techno-commercial assessment.
13. Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) signed an MoU with ________ Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC).
➢ This MoU aims for better synergy with this organization for the development of agriculture, allied sectors and its exports for bringing better value to the stakeholders.
➢ The MoU was signed between Ms. Neelkamal Darbari, Managing Director of SFAC and Mr. Paban Kumar Borthakur, Chairman of APEDA.
➢ This collaboration focuses to reach large farmers for improving the production base of agri products quantitatively and qualitatively.
14. With which country India has signed Rs 880 crore contract for Negev 7.62X51 mm Light Machine Guns _______Israel.
➢ Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has given his approval to the Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence for a capital acquisition contract with Israel Weapons Industries (IWI) of Israel.
➢ The contract enables the procurement of 16,479 Negev 7.62X51 mm Light Machine Gun (LMG) at a cost of Rs 880 crore.
➢ The weapons are procured under the Fast Track Procedure (FTP).
15. Finance Commission sets up committee to review the fiscal consolidation road map under the chairmanship of _________ Nand Kishore Singh.
➢ An 8-member committee is set up by Finance Commission(FC) to review the fiscal consolidation road map of state & central governments.
➢ The committee is headed by 15th Finance Commission Chairman Nand Kishore Singh.
16. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has declared the formulation of COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force led by ______Nirmala Sitharaman.
➢ Its objective is to tackle the economic challenges arising out of novel coronavirus outbreak.
➢ The task force is mandated to execute measures to reduce the economic difficulties facing by various sectors.
➢ It should maintain a regular touch with all stakeholders, take their feedback and make decisions accordingly..
17. To empower new entrepreneurs under the mission Swavalamban a special train ‘Swavalamban express’ will be launched by _____SIDBI.
➢ The train will visit 11 cities in 15 days and will cover a 7000 km journey. Around 20 workshops and interactions will be held to promote entrepreneurial culture among the youth about financial and non-financial aspects of enterprise running. Participant individuals should be between the age of 20 and 35 years.
➢ The train will start from Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh-UP) and thereafter to Jammu, Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhubaneswar, Kolkata and finally reach Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh).
➢ The train journey will also focus on the Prime Minister(PM) Narendra Modi’s vision of becoming a $5 trillion economy by 2024-25.
Important News – State
1. Which state government planning to construct 33 stadiums across the state under the Uttaran Scheme ______Assam.
➢ 300 crores will be provided to construct these stadiums announced by Principal Secretary of Sports Avinash Joshi and Joint Director Kamaljit and 500 playgrounds are being built to encourage rural talents.
➢ The Government has decided to provide an amount of Rs.50,000 to 1000 players and Rs.75,000 will be given to 2500 clubs.
➢ The Uttaran Scheme is adopted by the Assam Government to give a new dimension to the visions of the MLAs and to implement innovative projects which will be suitable to local needs.
2. Phool Dei festival was celebrated in ______Uttarakhand.
➢ The festival also showcases the inner bonding between the communities who all are residing in the hills.
➢ It is the harvest festival of Uttarakhand that is celebrated in the month of Chaitra (March- April) in the Hindu Calendar.
➢ On this traditional festival young girls pluck the first flowers of the season to decorate their houses with flowers
➢ The term ‘Dei’ refers to ceremonial pudding which is the key food in the festival that is made from jaggery, Whiteflour & curd, are offered to everyone.
3. The Central Government approved renaming the Amin village as ______ Abhimanyupur.
➢ The decision has been taken by the Union Home Ministry after getting permission from a few central organisations.
➢ The Union Ministry will approve the change of name of any place after taking no-objections from the Ministry of Railways, Department of Posts and Surveys of India.
➢ These organisations have to confirm that there is no such city, town or village in their records with a name similar to the proposed one.
4. M Gopal Reddy appointed as Chief Secretary of ______ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ Madhya Pradesh(MP) Government appointed M Gopal Reddy as a Chief Secretary of the state replacing Sudhi Ranjan Mohanty with effect from April 1, 2020.
➢ M Gopal Reddy is a 1985 batch IAS officer is currently serving as an Officer on Special Duty(OSD) before he takes charge as the state’s new Chief Secretary.
➢ He worked as a vice-chairman of the Narmada Valley Development Authority (NVDA) prior to the current position.
5. Which becomes the third state in India to launch its “Star Rating Program” __________Jharkhand.
➢ The state government of Jharkhand will launch its “Star Rating Program” on June 5, 2020, to rate industries based on the amount of pollutants generated by them.
➢ With this, it became the 3rd state in India to launch this system for industries after Maharashtra & Odisha.
➢ The program will be implemented by the Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board (JSPCB) in association with the University of Chicago Trust (UC Trust).
6. Which state has promulgated Recovery of Damage to Public Properties Ordinance 2020‘ ________Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Recovery of Damage to Public Properties Ordinance 2020‘ for recovery of losses due to damage to public property during violent protests was passed by the Uttar Pradesh cabinet headed by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
➢ The ordinance will aim at dealing with violent acts at public places, controlling its tenacity and upsurge and providing for recovery of damage to public or private property during hartal, bandh etc.
7. Which state/UTs announced Rs 5 lakh Free Health Insurance under Ayushman Bharat _______Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ The decision was taken by the administrative council under the chairmanship of J&K Lieutenant Governor Girish Chandra Murmu.
➢ Nearly 1.25 crore residents of the UT will be benefited & at present 5.95 lakh families are eligible for benefits under the center’s Ayushman Bharat- PMJAY scheme.
➢ The scheme also covers 15 lakh, additional families, under J&K health scheme & the beneficiaries will receive free health insurance of Rs 5 lakh per family per year on the floater basis & there is no restriction for family size, age or gender.
8. Which state has canceled quota in promotion for state government employees _______Uttarakhand.
➢ It issued orders relating to the departmental promotion committee (DPC).
➢ For the period of strike, the striking employees were granted leave.
➢ The order of the state government stated that it has abolished the promotion ban dated September 11, 2019 according to the Supreme Court decision.
➢ Apart from that, the order of the state government dated September 5, 2012 to ban reservation in promotions has also come into effect.
9. Which state/UTs government has Social and Educational Backward Classes Commission ________ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ The Jammu and Kashmir Government sets up a commission named as “J&K Socially and Educationally Backward Classes Commission” will be headed by Justice (retired) GD Sharma to examine the social and educational backwardness of various backward classes people, dalits, in the Union Territory.
10. Which state government has launched Police Station Visitor Survey System and e-Night Beat Checking System _______Himachal Pradesh.
➢ Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister (CM) Jai Ram Thakur launched Police Station Visitor Survey System and e-Night Beat Checking System for Himachal police in Shimla.
➢ These systems help the Police Department to provide an immediate response to the complaints registered in the police stations.
11. Which state government has decided to call Sanitary personnel as “cleanliness workers” _______Tamil Nadu.
➢ According to the Tamil Nadu (TN) Chief Minister (CM), Karuppa Gounder Palanisamy a total of 64,583 sanitary personnel employed by urban and rural civic bodies in the State will be called as ”cleanliness workers” in Tamil) to honour their work.
➢ The state will also implement a scheme worth of Rs 4,300 to install smart meters for 42 lakh electricity consumers to compute their power consumption.
Important News – World
1. 3rd edition of WION Global Summit 2020 held in _______ Dubai, UAE.
➢ WION (World Is One News), the India’s first International News Channel,has organized its 3rd edition of Global summit 2020 based on the theme “Navigating and negotiating global imperatives” at The Oberoi, in Dubai.
➢ It saw the participation of global leaders to engage in dialogue on a common global agenda to underscore the critical challenges of climate change, global governance, economic slowdown, and global crisis that threatens to become the new normal.
2. Which becomes the first country to close its financial markets due to the COVID 19 (Coronavirus) outbreak _______ Philippines.
➢ It resumed its trading on March 19, 2020.
➢ This measure was taken to ensure the safety of their employees and the people they interact with.
➢ Now the speculations are if other countries may take similar measures then there is a fear of a global recession.
3. The 7th World Cities Summit (WCS) is to be held from July 5 to 9, 2020 in _______Singapore.
➢ It is organized by Singapore’s Centre for Liveable Cities and the Urban Redevelopment Authority. The theme for WCS 2020 is ”Liveable and Sustainable Cities: Adapting to a Disrupted World”.
➢ The WCS 2020 is held in conjunction with the Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) and the CleanEnviro Summit Singapore (CESG).
➢ Singapore Government invited Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to the WCS-2020.
4. What amount has been donated by the WhatsApp to Poynter Institute’s International Fast-Checking Network (IFCN) in order to avoid fake information about the disease _______ $1 million dollars.
➢ Facebook-owned messaging app WhatsApp launched the “WhatsApp Coronavirus Information Hub” globally, in partnership with WHO, UNICEF and UNDP.
➢ The WhatsApp Coronavirus Information Hub will be available at Whatsapp.com/coronavirus and provides simple, actionable guidance for health workers, educators, community leaders, nonprofits, local governments & local businesses.
➢ ii.The site also offers general tips and resources for users around the world to reduce the spread of rumours and provides accurate health information.
Honor & Awards
1. Name the Indian journalist who have won the “Chameli Devi Jain Award 2019” for outstanding Women media persons __________ Arfa Khanum Sherwani and Rohini Mohan.
➢ Arfa Khanum Sherwani is a senior editor of the news website ‘The Wire’.
➢ While Rohini Mohan is freelance journalist.
➢ The annual award recognises social concern, dedication, courage and compassion all over India from the print, broadcast and online media category.
➢ Arfa Khanum Sherwani was selected for her reporting from conflict situations in Kashmir and Uttar Pradesh (UP).
➢ Rohini Mohan has been chosen for her reportage on NRC (National Register for Citizens) exercise in Assam & set a new benchmark for investigative journalism.
2. Who has won the won the Road Safety (RS) Media Fellowship 2019 _______ Prachi Salve and Pradeep Dwivedi.
➢ Centre for Media Studies (CMS) announced that Prachi Salve of IndiaSpend and Pradeep Dwivedi of DainikJagran as the first winner of Road Safety (RS) Media Fellowship 2019, for their work in contribution towards reporting on road safety.
➢ Centre for Media Studies (CMS) supported by the World Health Organization (WHO), conducted a three-month program for journalists to work on road safety issues in 2019. This program is conducted to Strengthen the capacities of the journalists.
1. Which team has won the Ranji Trophy title 2019-20 ________ Saurashtra.
➢ Jaydev Dipakbhai Unadkat led Saurashtra team and won the maiden Ranji Trophy title defeating Bengal team at the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Rajkot, Gujarat.
➢ The final of the Ranji trophy is headed towards a draw, then the winner Saurashtra is decided on the basis of a first-innings lead.
2. Which team has won the Indian Super League trophy for the 3rd time _______ ATK FC.
➢ ATK Football Club won the Indian Super League (ISL) trophy for the 3rd time following a 3-1 win against Chennaiyin FC in the final match held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Margao, Goa.
3. Name the New Zealand(NZ) all-rounder who has announced his retirement from Canterbury cricket _______ Andrew Malcolm Ellis.
➢ After Ross Taylor he became the 2nd player in NZ to play over 100 games in each format.
➢ He is the only player to be named as Men’s Domestic Player of the Year twice by NZ National Cricket Team, in the 2014-15 & 2016-17 seasons.
➢ The highlight of his career was the 2016-17 season, as he raised the Plunket Shield & The Ford Trophy in his first year as captain.
➢ He finished his career with 9366 runs & 548 wickets.
4. Who has won the ITTF Challenger Plus Oman Open men’s singles title ________ Achanta Sharath Kamal.
➢ He beat top-seeded Marcos Freitas of Portugal 4-2 in the final played in Muscat.
➢ It was in 2010, Sharath bagged a title last time when he won the Egypt Open. Since then he made two semi-final appearances (Morocco Open in 2011 and India Open in 2017) but couldn’t manage to get through it.
5. Who have won the men’s and women’s singles title respectively at All England Championship ________ Viktor Axelsen and Tai Tzu Ying.
➢ All England Championship was held in Birmingham, England. This was the last badminton event before the Badminton World Federation’s suspension of all tournaments due to the coronavirus pandemic.
➢ Viktor Axelsen of Denmark defeated Chinese Taipei’s Chou Tien-chen by 21-13, 21-14 to win the men’s singles title of All England Championship.
➢ Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei defeated Chinese Chen Yu Fei by 21-19, 21-15 to win the women’s singles title of All England Championship.
6. Which two Indian have been named in the International Panel of ICC Development Umpires _________ Vrinda Rathi and Janani Narayanan.
➢ The announcement was made after the launch of 100% Cricket.
➢ 100% Cricket is a 12-month campaign which has been launched to build on the momentum of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020.