Important News – India
1. What was the theme of the 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers' Meeting held through Video Conferencing ________ Delivering a co-ordinated Commonwealth COVID-19 response.
➢ Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare participated in the 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers' Meeting through Video Conference on 14 May.
➢ The meeting was held with a theme: Delivering a co-ordinated Commonwealth COVID-19 response.
2. What amount has been allocated from Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations (PM CARES) Fund Trust to fight against COVID-19 pandemic________ Rs 3100 crores.
➢ PM CARES (Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations) Fund Trust has allocated Rs 3100 crores to fight against COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ Out of the total amount around Rs 2000 crores will be allocated for the purchase of ventilators, Rs 1000 crores to care migrant labourers and Rs 100 crores to support vaccine development.
3. Central Government has set up a new body Rice Export Promotion Forum to give impetus to rice exports under the aegis of ______ APEDA.
➢ Centre set up a new body Rice Export Promotion Forum to give impetus to rice exports under the aegis of Agricultural and Processed Foods Export Promotion Development Authority (APEDA).
➢ The Constitution of Rice Export Promotion Forum has been done considering the importance of exporting rice and inherent the potentials and multifarious issues faced in the exportation.
4. Prime Minister announced the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan with an economic stimulus package worth Rs 20 lakh crores which is almost what percent of GDP ________10 per cent.
➢ Recently, the Prime Minister has announced the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan (or Self-reliant India Mission)’ with an economic stimulus package — worth Rs 20 lakh crores aimed towards achieving the mission
➢ The package is expected to focus on land, labour, liquidity and laws.
5. Which institution has developed a low-cost device to detect the presence of melamine (adulterate) in milk and dairy products ________ Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru.
➢ The techniques currently used to detect the presence of melamine are time-taking and typically require expensive and sophisticated equipment and highly trained personnel.
➢ With the help of a newly developed fluorometer device
➢ Researchers were able to detect up to 0.1 parts per million (ppm) of melamine in water and milk, which is much lower than the acceptable limit of 1 ppm.
6. Which flagship social security scheme of the Government of India has completed five years of its implementation in May 2020 _________ Atal Pension Yojna.
➢ The scheme is being administered by Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority through National Pension System (NPS).
➢ Any citizen of India can join the APY scheme. The age of the subscriber should be between 18-40 years.
➢ The contribution levels would vary and would be low if a subscriber joins early and increases if she joins late.
7. Union Defence minister Rajnath Singh has approved Rs 400 crores for which of the following defence related schemes ________ Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme.
➢ The establishment of defence testing infrastructure will provide easy access and thus meet the testing needs of the domestic defence industry.
➢ The scheme will run for a period of 5 years & envisages to set up 6 to 8 new test facilities in partnership with private industry.
➢ This will facilitate defence production, therefore reduce imports of military equipment and help make the country self-reliant.
8. National Restaurants Association of India (NRAI) has partnered with which fintech start-up to build its own tech platform _________ DotPe.
➢ This platform enables them with online payments for digital ordering, bill settlements, and contactless dining. DotPe will provide us with a tech solution.
➢ This partnership would directly take on existing food-tech aggregators, Zomato and Swiggy.
9. What additional amount has been allocated for the under MGNREGS which will help in generating total work of nearly 300 crore person days _________40,000 crores.
➢ With this allocation, GoI will ensure to address the need for more work including returning migrant workers in Monsoon season as well.
➢ It will also led to the creation of larger number of durable and livelihood assets including water conservation assets.
➢ Hence it is expected to boost the rural economy through higher production.
10. For multi mode access to digital/online education Government of India has decided to launch which programme ______ PMeVIDYA programme.
➢ Under the programme the DIKSHA programme will provide “one nation, one digital platform” for school education in states/UTs.
➢ It will also include the launch of Energized Textbooks for all grades.
➢ One earmarked TV channel will be launched for per class from 1 to 12 following the concept of “one class, one channel”.
11. Which intiative will be launched to provide psychosocial support to students, teachers and families for their mental health and emotional well being under the PM-eVIDYA Programme ________ Manodarpan.
➢ Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched Manodarpan, an initiative to provide psychological support and counselling to students, teachers and families for mental health and emotional well-being
12. Which entity has developed “National Migrant Information System (NMIS)” to secure information regarding the movement of migrants workers _______ National Disaster Management Authority.
➢ An online dashboard “National Migrant Information System (NMIS)” has been developed by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).
➢ The dashboard has been developed by NDMA to secure information regarding the movement of migrants and to facilitate the smooth movement of stranded persons across States.
➢ A central repository on migrant workers would be maintained by the dashboard NMIS.
13. Landing Craft Utility Ship ‘INLCU L57’ commissioned into Indian Navy in _______ Port Blair.
➢ The “INLCU L57” is the seventh LCU Mark IV class warship.
➢ The primary role of the warship, being transportation and deployment of main battle tanks, armoured vehicles, troops and equipment from ship to shore.
➢ The first ship of the Mark IV LCU Vessels INLCU L51 was commissioned into Indian Navy in March 2017.
14. Recently, the National Crisis Management Committee reviewed the preparedness for the impending cyclone ______ Amphan.
➢ Cyclone Amphan (pronounced as UM-PUN) is a tropical cyclone formed over Bay of Bengal that has intensified and likely to turn into a “super cyclonic storm (maximum wind speed is 120 knots)”.
➢ According to the India Meteorological Department forecast, it will make landfall as a very severe cyclone between the Sagar islands of West Bengal and the Hatiya islands of Bangladesh.
➢ It has been named by Thailand.
➢ Amphan is the second pre-monsoon cyclone to form in the Bay of Bengal in two years. The first one was Cyclone Fani.
15. Name the mobile application developed by the National Testing Agency which will help the candidates to take mock tests for exams such as JEE Mains, NEET, etc. _________ National Test Abhyas.
➢ The mobile application was developed by the National Testing Agency. The application will help the candidates to take mock tests for exams such as JEE Mains, NEET, etc. The application is powered by Artificial Intelligence and therefore the students will get instant results after taking the tests.
➢ The application also aims to help the candidates take high quality mock tests from their homes. It is currently available in Android and iOS versions.
➢ The main aim of the application is to help students during closure of educational institutions.
9. The Indian Railways operationalized the first 12,000 HP electric locomotive built in which locomotive establishmet __________ Electric Locomotive Factory, Madhepura.
➢ The locomotive was built by the French Alstom Company under the Make in India initiative.
➢ It is capable of hauling 6000 tonnes at a top speed of 120 km/hr.
➢ The locomotive was manufactured as a joint venture between the Indian and French share holding of 74% and 26%.
➢ With this, India has become the sixth country in the world to produce high horse power locomotive.
16. Which Railway zone has developed a robotic device, “RAIL-BOT” (R-BOT) _______ South Central Railway.
➢ R-BOT is getting used to supply medicines, medical accessories and to serve food to the patients, with none need for physical contact.
➢ Using this device will enable doctors, nurses and other support medical staff to remain faraway from the danger of contracting infections.
➢ The R-BOT is operated through a singular mobile application developed as a part of the Innovation, supported by Wi-FI- facility.
17. How many cities rated 5 star in Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities, for the assessment year 2019-2020 _________six.
➢ In rating Ambikapur, Rajkot, Surat, Mysuru, Indore and Navi Mumbai were rated 5 Star (6 cities).
➢ 65 other Cities rated 3 Star and 70 Cities rated 1 Star out of 141 cities
➢ He also launched the revised protocol for the Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities.
18. The Union Cabinet has extended Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) till which year _________2023.
➢ It is a social security scheme for senior citizens for those who are above 60.
➢ The government has fixed its annual rate of return at 7.4% for financial year 2020-21.
➢ Now, Senior citizens will have time till March 31, 2023 to invest in Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana which provides higher return than any bank.
Important News – State
1. Which state government has launched ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme to utilise 50,000 acres of barren land in 6 districts _______West Bengal.
➢ This scheme helps to generate income activities in horticulture and pisciculture involving the locals. The ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme will benefit around 2.5 lakh people in rural Bengal.
➢ In West Bengal at least 50,000 acres of barren land in Birbhum, Purulia, Bankura, Jhargram, West Burdwan and West Midnapore districts, which cannot produce anything naturally nor can the farmers cultivate on the strip.
2. Which state government has levied 2% Krishak Kalyan fees on agricultural produce brought or bought or sold in mandis ________Rajasthan.
➢ Recently, the Rajasthan government has levied 2% Krishak Kalyan fees on agricultural produce brought or bought or sold in mandis.
➢ The 2% fees collected will be deposited in the Krishak Kalyan Kosh — dedicated to the welfare of farmers in the state.
➢ The Rajasthan government had announced the creation of the Krishak Kalyan Kosh for the purpose of ensuring fair price for farmer’s produce and to strive towards “ease of doing farming” in 2019.
3. Which state government has launched Charan Paduka campaign, first of its kind initiative for migrant labourers passing through the states _________Madhya Pradesh.
➢ Under the campaign the migrant workers were provided with shoes and slippers to reduce their pain.
➢ The Charan Paduka campaign is being conducted by the Police of Madhya Pradesh state. Eventually, the initiative received full support of the public. By providing slippers, the pain of the migrant workers is being reduced.
4. Which state has launched its first cyber security-specific accelerator programme 'H.A.C.K' for start-ups recently ________Karnataka.
➢ This comes even at a time when there are serious discussions around surveillance and lack of safety through government-run online software for COVID-19.
➢ The programme is implemented by CySecK, which is state’s CoE (Centre of Excellence) in Cyber Security meant for creating a cyber-safe environment for industry collaboration. It is housed at Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
5. Which state/UTs has issued new rules to provide domicile certificates to its residents __________ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ The “J&K Grant of Domicile Certificate (Procedure) rules 2020” has been provided through an amendment of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services (Decentralisation and Recruitment) Act, 2010.
➢ The rules have included extraordinary penalty of Rs 50,000 to the competitive authority in case the issuing of domicile certificate is delayed.
6. Which state/UTs Department of Information and Public Relations has started an initiative “SUKOON – COVID-19 Beat the Stress” programme _________ Jammu & Kashmir.
➢ This initiative spread awareness about the psychological impact of lockdown and measures to be adopted to overcome them.
➢ The programme will be telecast on Doordarshan Kashmir Channel every Tuesday at 9.00 PM during which psychiatrists, eminent doctors and scientists will share their knowledge on psychological health.
7. “Mee Annapurna” initiative has been launched by an IRDA licensed insurance intermediary Integrated Risk Insurance Brokers Limited (IRIBL) in which state _______Maharshtra.
➢ This initiative has been launched by Integrated Risk Insurance as a part of its commitment as a Corporate Social Responsibility towards the welfare of the farmers and agriculture community in Maharashtra.
➢ This initiative is based on three commandments namely: Expertise, Engagement and Entitlement.
Important News – World
1. Which country has developed ‘iFeel-You’ bracelet for social distancing ________Italy.
➢ The Genoa-based Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) has developed ‘iFeel-You’ bracelet for social distancing.
➢ This bracelet will help users respect social distancing rules.
➢ The bracelet has been developed as the measures for safeguarding against the coronavirus lockdown is being gradually lifted.
2. Which organization has released Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) 2020 _________FAO.
➢ According to the Global Forest Resources Assessment(FRA) 2020 released by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the forest loss rate in 2015-2020 has declined to an estimated 10 million hectares (mha), down from 12 mha in 2010-2015.
➢ The world has lost 178 mha of forest since 1990, an area the size of Libya.
3. Which country hosted the SCO Foreign Ministers Meeting via video conferencing on COVID-19 which was attended by the External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar _________Russia.
➢ EAM mentioned that the security challenges faced today are not associated with the physical or political boundaries and stated that the threat to security and stability in the region of SCO requires collective actions.
➢ He also stated about the Pakistani deep state’s alleged involvement in the cross-border terrorism in Kashmir violating the ceasefire as the focus of India is on combating against COVID-19.
➢ India and Pakistan became the members of the SCO in 2017.
4. Which country recently announce to donate ventilators to India ________USA.
➢ The announcement is seen as a reciprocal gesture of India’s lift on the export ban of the anti-malarial drug Hydroxychloroquine.
➢ India recently lifted the export ban over HCQ drugs.
➢ This benefitted the United States to larger extent.
5. India along with 61 other countries moved a proposal in the World Health Organization to ______ identify the source of COVID-19.
➢ The countries together moved a proposal at the WHO to identify zoonotic source. Only three permanent members of the United Nations Security Council have backed the resolution namely Russia, France and UK.
➢ The other countries to support the resolution includes South Korea, Japan, Australia, South Africa, India, New Zealand, etc.
6. Which becomes the first country in Europe to declare an end to its COVID-19 epidemic __________ Slovenia.
➢ The country officially marked an end to its virus epidemic after the government authorities confirmed less than seven new cases each day for the past two weeks.
➢ Slovenia, a country with a population of two million, has also opened its borders after declaring the end of the virus. The country shares its borders with Croatia, Austria, Italy and Hungary, and now people have started arriving in Slovenia from other European Union states.
7. What amount has been announced by China over two years to fight the coronavirus pandemic at WHO assembly __________ USD 2 billion.
➢ The decision comes after, when China faced growing global pressure over the lockdowns, the death toll and a huge increase in coronavirus cases that has brought the world to a standstill.
➢ WHO announced the coronavirus outbreak to be a worldwide health emergency on January 30th 2020.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been conferred with the Vice Admiral G.M. Hiranandani Memorial Rolling Trophy for the year 2020 ________ Akshay Kumar.
➢ He commissioned in Anti-Submarine Warfare School of the Southern Naval Command in Kochi. The award ceremony was held at the Maritime Warfare Centre, Kochi, Kerala.
➢ This trophy was instituted in 2013 for the officer performing best in tactics during the year-long warfare specialisation course.
➢ The trophy was instituted within the memory of the late flag officer GM Hiranandani, who was the commissioned naval officer Commanding-in-Chief Southern Naval Command from 1985 to 1987 and retired as Vice Chief of Naval Staff in 1989.
2. Who has been awarded the Alexander Dalrymple Award 2019 ________ Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar.
➢ This award is given to him for his outstanding contribution to Indian hydrography and across the broader Indian Ocean region.
➢ The award was presented by the UK Ministry of Defence.
1. The Bundesliga of which country becomes the world’s first major sports event to resume after COVID-19 lock down _________Germany.
➢ The Bundesliga games began with empty stadium though the stadium had capacity to hold more than 80,000 players. The players are being tested twice a week.
➢ The teams participating in the games were kept under quarantine. The teams entered the ground at different times. The substitutes sat well apart during the matches.
2. The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) provisionally suspended Savita Kumari and Ankit Shisodia for violating antidoping rules. They are associated with which sports ________Powerlifting.
➢ Athletes were given an opportunity to present themselves before the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel (ADDP) and explain their cases on the date and time fixed by the panel for a hearing.
➢ Both athletes were given a chance to present themselves before the Anti Doping Disciplinary Panel (ADDP) to explain their cases.
➢ But because of lockdown amid COVID-19 pandemic, no sitting of panel could take place.