Important News – India
1. As per the Vital Statistics of India based on Civil Registration System, released by the Registrar General of India which is the state with highest Sex Ratio ______ Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ The report mainly provides insights on Sex Ratios in various states of India.
➢ Arunachal Pradesh was the state with highest Sex Ratio. The sex ratio of the state was 1084.
➢ The state of Manipur had the least Sex Ratio of 757.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled “Statue of Peace” in which state to mark the 151st birth anniversary of Jain Acharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj ______ Rajasthan.
➢ The 151-inch tall statue has been made from Ashtadhatu- 8 metals, with Copper being the major constituent, and is being installed at Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Pali, Rajasthan.
➢ Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji was Jain monk born on October 26, 1870.
3. Keetham lake lake is located in which city of India which has recently been added to the Ramsar site list ______ Agra.
➢ Sur Sarovar also known as Keetham Lake in Agra, Uttar Pradesh has been added to the ‘Ramsar Sites’.
➢ Sur Sarovar is the 2440th site of Ramsar site.
➢ Sur Sarovar is the 40th Ramsar Sites in India.
4. Which is the only crater lake of Country that has been added to the ‘Ramsar Sites’ recently ______ Lonar Lake.
➢ Lonar lake is the 2441st Ramsar site.
➢ Lonar lake is the 41st Ramsar Sites in India.
➢ With the inclusion of this wetland, the total number of Ramsar Sites in India is 41, the highest in South Asia.
5. Which ministry gave its nod for the creation of the first ever “National Database of Unorganised Workers (NDUW)” with an expected outlay of Rs 650 crore ______ Ministry of Finance.
➢ In this regard, Ministry of Labour & Employment has envisaged development of NDUW seeded with Aadhaar.
➢ This project will include migrant workers also and the benefits to be provided through this database will encourage them to enroll on the website.
6. Four Indian Cities were selected by World Economic Forum to pioneer roadmap for Smart Cities which is not one among them ______ Varanasi.
➢ These smart cities are being developed under the G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance. Of the 36 cities selected, four are Indian cities.
➢ The four Indian cities selected are Bengaluru, Faridabad, Indore and Hyderabad.
7. The Energy Efficiency Services Limited signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the which state’s Department of New and Renewable Energy to set up first convergence project of India to generate Green Energy for agriculture and rural areas ______ Goa.
➢ According to the agreement, the first convergence project of India to generate Green Energy for agriculture and rural areas is to be set up in Goa.
➢ The project is to focus on energy solutions that are evolved based on the concepts that combine climate change, renewable energy and Artificial Intelligence.
8. Which has become the first city in the country with a gender-specific city’s urban plan which has provisions for designated spaces for the needs of women ______ Mumbai.
➢ The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has added a chapter titled ‘Gender, Special Groups and Social Equity’ under the Revised Draft Development Plan (RDDP) 2034.
➢ The plan proposed “departure from gender blindness to gender mainstreaming”.
9. Which Indian airport has become the first airport in Asia Pacific Region to get the Level 4+ Transition – carbon accreditation ______ Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), New Delhi.
➢ The airport was accredited under ACI’s Airport Carbon Accreditation program for its works in aligning its carbon management with global climate goals to reach net zero emission reduction
➢ The Airport is owned and operated by GMR Group.
10. Which Indian city becomes the First City in the Country to get ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 9001:2015 Certification for Faecal Sludge and Septage Management (FSSM) services ______ Bhubaneswar.
➢ Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) was the first civic body to implement FSSM regulations in Odisha.
➢ Jenaidah is the first city in the world to get ISO certification for FSSM. Bhubaneswar is 2nd in the world and 1st city in India in this regard.
11. Who has launched the Safaimitra Suraksha Challenge, aimed to ensure that no person needs to enter a sewer or septic tank, unless absolutely unavoidable in the interest of greater public hygiene ______ Hardeep Singh Puri.
➢ The initiative, that promotes mechanized cleaning, also aims to ensure that no life of any sewer or septic tank cleaner is ever lost again owing to the issue of 'hazardous' cleaning.
➢ The virtual event witnessed participation of representatives from 243 cities across the country, coming together to take a pledge to mechanize all sewer and septic tank cleaning operations by 30th April 2021.
12. What is India’s rank in the global list that measured business bribery risks of 2020 ______ 77th.
➢ India ranked 77th position in the global list that measured business bribery risks of 2020. North Korea, Turkmenistan, South Sudan, Venezuela and Eritrea were at highest risks and Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and New Zealand present the lowest.
13. What is the theme of the 13th Urban Mobility India (UMI) Conference 2020 was held virtually from New Delhi ______ Emerging Trends in Urban Mobility.
➢ It was inaugurated by Minister of State-MoS (Independent Charge-IC) Hardeep Singh Puri, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
➢ This was the first virtual UMI conference amid COVID 19 and was also held for a day as against the usual format of three days without any exhibition.
14. Which country will host G20 summit in 2023 ______ India.
➢ The main focus of the Summit was on resilient, inclusive and sustainable recovery from covid-19 crisis. During the Summit the leaders discussed on the preparedness of the countries in response to the pandemic. They also shared their vision on building a resilient future
➢ Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the 2020 G20 summit that was held under the theme of “realising opportunities of the 21st century for all”.
Important News – State
1. Asia’s First Solar Power-Enabled Textile Mill to come up in which state of India ______ Maharashtra.
➢ The Textile Mill is spread across Thirty acres of land and will process cotton to cloth.
➢ Once Functional, the mill will provide jobs to many women in the district.
➢ Ginning, Pressing, Weaving and Spinning of cotton will be done in the mill itself.
➢ It is being set up at a cost of INR 100 Crores and will add momentum to the industrial sector in the district.
2. Which state received the best state award under the category of best hilly and North Eastern State in Fisheries ______ Assam.
➢ Assam has got the best state award under the category of best hilly and North Eastern state.
➢ Assam Apex Cooperative Fish Marketing and Processing Federation Limited (FISHFED) has been selected under the category of best hilly and North eastern government organization.
3. Which state bagged the eminent ‘Best Marine State’ award which was announced by the Union Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying ______ Odisha.
➢ The award will be bestowed on 21st November, which is World Fisheries Day by the department. Along with recognition, 10 lakh amount will be given.
➢ The awards are a great boost to fisheries sector, especially during the COVID-19 times. In 2019, India exported Rs 47,000 crores of fisheries.
4. Which state government has decided to set up a ‘Gau Cabinet’ for the protection, conservation and promotion of cows in the state ______ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ The Cabinet will comprise of the departments of animal husbandry, forests, panchayat and rural development, revenue, home and farmers welfare.
➢ The first meeting of the Cabinet will be held at 12 pm on ‘Gopashtami’ on November 22 at the Cow Sanctuary in Agar-Malwa district named ‘Kamdhenu Gau Abhyaranya ‘.
5. Which state government has launched Divyangjan Shaktikaran Yojana’ to empower persons with disabilities in a virtual meeting ______ Punjab.
➢ The Scheme will be implemented in Two Phases.
➢ Phase-I will strengthen the existing programmes to ensure that benefits reach people with disabilities.
➢ Phase-II will introduce 13 new interventions proposed to be undertaken for empowerment of such persons.
6. In which city of Madhya Pradesh a digital Museum has been opened for the public ______ Gwalior.
➢ It is the first center of its kind in Gwalior and Bundelkhand area and will play a role in educating school students.
➢ In the Digital Museum, the architectural styles, objects, costumes, lifestyle, musical instruments, jewelry, handicrafts, cultural tradition, painting and many genres of paintings have been digitally displayed in a modern way.
7. Which state introduced award for civil servants to promote good governance ______ Manipur.
➢ Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh launched “Scheme for Chief Minister’s Award for Good Governance” to recognise and reward progressive and extraordinary work executed by authorities officers that promotes good governance.
8. Which state/UTs has rolled out a free breakfast scheme for school students ______ Puducherry.
➢ The scheme is named named after the late DMK President M Karunanidhi, for government and government aided school students at Jeevanandham Government Higher Secondary School.
➢ The scheme was an apt tribute to Karunanidhi who championed the cause of downtrodden and poor people and was keenly interested in the development and welfare of people of Puducherry while taking efforts to ensure the rights of states
Important News – World
1. What is the theme of the 12th BRICS summit that is to be hosted by Russia ______ “Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
➢ The summit is to be held under the theme “Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
➢ The BRICS members to participate in the meeting are China, India, Brazil, Russia and South Africa.
2. The meeting was to be held at St Peterburg in July 2020. Which two countries have signed the “Reciprocal Access Agreement” to counter the growing influence of China in the South China sea and in the Pacific Island Nations ______ Japan and Australia.
➢ The defence agreement has taken six years of negotiations. This will bring the countries closer amidst militarization in South China sea and series of disputes over islands in East China sea.
➢ This is the first agreement of Japan to allow foreign military presence in its sovereign territory since 1960.
3. Which organization in association with “the Vaccine Confidence Project” of University of London launched “Team Halo” to counter misinformation around COVID-19 vaccines ______ United Nations.
➢ More than 100 scientists from different parts of the world have come together under the project.
➢ Team Halo aims to tackle misinformation on safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.
➢ Under the initiative, the scientists will create social-media friendly videos on COVID-19 vaccine science based on their personal experiences.
4. Which city emerged as the best city in the “World’s Best Cities for 2021” list released by the Vancouver-based Resonance Consultancy Ltd ______ London.
➢ London was followed by USA’s New York. Only one Indian city Delhi, made it to the list, taking the 62nd position.
➢ Paris (France), Moscow (Russia), Tokyo (Japan), Dubai (UAE), Singapore, Barcelona (Spain), Los Angeles (USA), and Madrid (Spain) took the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth rank respectively.The other cities that were named are Rome (Italy) and Toronto (Canada).
5. The 15th East Asia Summit held virtually was chaired by which country ______ Vietnam.
➢ External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar represented India at the 15th East Asia Summit (EAS) on behalf of the PM.
➢ The Summit Meeting discussed ways and means to strengthen the EAS platform and to make it more responsive to emerging challenges on its 15th anniversary.
6. The Guadalajara of which country named World Book Capital for the year 2022 by the Director-General of UNESCO ______ Mexico.
➢ The city was selected for its comprehensive plan for policies around the book to trigger social change, combat violence and build a culture of peace.
➢ Tbilisi (Georgia) was named as the World Book Capital 2021 and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) for 2020.
7. The World Health Organization (WHO) launched the global strategy to fast track the eradication of cervical cancer by ______ 2050.
➢ For the first time, 194 countries, including India, committed to eliminate cancer, following the adoption of a resolution at the World Health Assembly 2020 in Geneva.
➢ The countries should vaccinate 90% of girls aged 15 years with the HPV vaccine by 2030, while 70% of women up to the age of 35 years should be screened using a high-performance test and 90% of women of up to 45 years diagnosed with cervical cancer must receive treatment.
Honor & Awards
1. The Madan Jeet Singh Prize is being awarded by UNESCO every year for the promotion of tolerance and nonviolence on which date ______ International Day for Tolerance.
➢ The day is celebrated to increase awareness about importance of tolerance in the society.
➢ It also aims to increase awareness among people about the negative effects of intolerance.
➢ The Madan Jeet Singh Prize is being awarded by UNESCO every year for the promotion of tolerance and nonviolence.
2. The Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurated the Lilavati Awards which is an initiative of ______ All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
➢ The award is an initiative of All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
➢ The Lilavati Award aims to recognise the efforts of AICTE affiliated institutions in treating women.
➢ The Lilavati Awards are to be presented based on the theme of women empowerment.
3. Who has been awarded the United Nations Population Award in the individual category for 2020 ______ Bhutan’s Queen Mother Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck.
➢ The awardee in the organisational category is HelpAge India that works on elder care. Only two Indians have been awarded in the past four decades since the award was established in 1981: former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1983 and industrialist-philanthropist J.R.D.Tata in 1992.
4. Which district has been conferred with National Award for water conservation under Jeevika Project launched by the District Administration ______ Udhampur.
➢ The project aims to increase the assured irrigation of Agriculture land and conservation of water and was conceptualized by the District Development Commissioner Dr. Piyush Singla.
➢ The project envisages development of sustainable ecosystems through water conservation to enhance the livelihood for small and marginal farmers.
5. Who has been awarded Prof. A N Bhaduri Memorial Lecture Award 2020 ______ Dr Susanta Kar.
➢ The award is conferred in every two years. Recipient of the award should be below 50 years of age.
➢ Award is given for Biological Chemistry and Allied sciences, preferably related to parasitic infections. Awardee has to deliver an award oration at the Annual Meeting of SBC(I).
1. Who won the Linz Open tennis single title for 2020 ______ Aryna Sabalenka.
➢ The 22-year-old Sabalenka finished the season in style with a straight-sets victory over her doubles partner Elise Mertens in final in Austria.
➢ She traded places with Williams, who dropped one spot to 11th and hasn't played since pulling out of the French Open with an Achilles injury.
2. Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) cancelled the Women Under-17 world cup due to COVID-19 pandemic and postponed to 2021, the tournament was to be held in which country ______ India.
➢ It has been postponed to 2021. The 2020 FIFA Women Under-17 World Cup was to be held in India.
➢ Both Under-17 and Under-20 women’s World cup were to be held in India. This has been cancelled and the country has been awarded to host the 2022 cup.
➢ FIFA announced that Costa Rica will host the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup 2022 and India will host FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup 2022.
3. Who has been awarded with ATP Tour No. 1 trophy for finishing as the top ranked player for the sixth time in his career ______ Novak Djokovic.
➢ With this, he has become the only second player in tennis history, after Pete Sampras, to receive the trophy sixth time.
➢ Earlier Djokovic had finished as world number one in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2018. Before this, only Pete Sampras has managed to finish six years on top of the rankings which he did between 1993 and 1998.
4. Sudeep Tyagi is associated with which sports who has announced his retirement from sports ______ Cricket.
➢ Indian cricketer, Sudeep Tyagi has announced his retirement from all forms of the cricket. The 33-year-old had played for the Indian national cricket team in four ODIs and a lone T20I as a fast bowler.
➢ Apart from this, the right-arm medium-fast bowler had also featured in 14 games in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH).
5. Who has won the ATP tennis tournament, the second highest tier of men’s Tennis Tournament after the Grand Slam held in London ______ Daniil Medvedev.
➢ The ATP tournament is the second highest tier of men’s Tennis Tournament after the Grand Slam. The tournament was first held in 1970.
➢ He is a Russian tennis player at rank number 4 under ATP ranking. He was born in Moscow.
6. Who has won the Turkish Grand Prix 2020 ______ Lewis Hamilton.
➢ Sergio Perez secured the second position and Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari finished third.
➢ This was Hamilton 10th victory of the season and 94th F1 win of his career.
➢ With this win, he claimed the seventh Formula One championships title of his career to equal the record of Michael Schumacher.
Books and Authors
1. Who has authored the book titled “A Promised Land” ______ Barack Hussein Obama.
➢ In the first of his two-part memoir he speaks at length about his interest in India, Mahatma Gandhi’s life and his relationship with former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh whom he calls a man of “uncommon wisdom and decency.”
➢ Mr. Obama says he had developed a “warm and productive” relationship with Mr. Singh, describing their interactions in New Delhi on Mr. Obama’s first visit there in November 2010.
2. Who is the author of the book titled ‘Shuggie Bain’ that won the 2020 Booker Prize ______ Douglas Stuart.
➢ Stuart dedicated his book, which was turned down by 32 publishers before being picked up, to his mother, who died when he was 16.
➢ A former fashion designer based in New York, Stuart took home £50,000 as prize money.He also received a trophy, a designer-bound edition of his book, and a further £2,500 for being shortlisted for the big award.
Science and Defence
1. Indian Navy received the 9th Poseidon 8I maritime surveillance aircraft from which country at the INS Hansa, Goa Naval Airbase ______ USA.
➢ The P-8I Aircraft received on November 18, 2020 is the first of the Four Additional planes ordered by India after completion of the Initial order for eight aircrafts.
➢ In 2016, India signed a deal of USD 1.1 Billion with the US for Four Additional P-8I Aircrafts.
➢ The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon used by the US Navy. It is developed and produced by Boeing Defense, Space & Security (US-based).
2. The trilateral Naval exercise, SITMEX-20 between India, Singapore and Thailand was held in ______ Andaman sea.
➢ The SITMEX-20 Naval exercise was scheduled in a “non-contact at sea only format” due to covid-19 restrictions.
➢ The main objective of the exercise is to increase the interoperability between the three navies.
➢ The exercise will also enhance multifaceted Maritime operations.
3. The maritime exercise SIMBEX-20 is joint exercise between India and which country ______ Singapore.
➢ The exercise is being conducted between the countries since 1994. The exercise aims to enhance mutual interoperability between the countries.
➢ The Indian Navy ships to participate in the exercise are destroyer Rana along with Chetak helicopter, corvettes Kamorta and Karmuk. Also, submarine Sindhuraj and P81 reconnaissance aircrafts are to participate in the exercise.
4. For what purpose NASA has launched the Copernicus Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich satellite by SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket ______ Monitor oceans.
➢ The satellite launch was a part of the Mission Jason Continuity of Service.
➢ The mission was launched to measure the height of the ocean. Measuring the height of the ocean is one of the key components in understanding the climate change.
➢ The spacecraft consists of two components. The other component of the spacecraft is to be launched in 2025.
5. The second phase of Exercise Malabar 2020 conducted in which sea ______ Northern Arabian Sea.
➢ The second phase is taking place from 17 to 20 November 2020. It is the 24th edition of the MALABAR series of maritime exercises.
➢ This second phase involves participation from the US Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF), and the Royal Australian Navy (RAN).