BANKING & FINANCIAL AWARENESS
1. Which financial company in collaboration with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) launched ‘Salary Card’, a Zero-Touch Digital card ______ Early Salary.
➢ The Salary Card credit solution is powered by Rupay. It provides instant access for salaried professionals, allowing them to make purchases instantly across merchants in India.
➢ Vivifi India Finance Private Limited (Vivifi) has launched FlexPay, which offers credit on Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
2. Which bank has collaborated with Apollo Hospitals to launch the “HealthyLife Programme”, a holistic healthcare solution ______ HDFC Bank.
➢ This programme will be launched for HDFC Bank customers, to make healthy living accessible and affordable while making the process convenient and easy for the customers.
➢ Customers will get round the clock access to emergency Apollo Doctor at No Cost on Apollo’s digital platform, Apollo 24|7.
➢ It will also come with various other benefits such as choice of payment options and ease of finance for treatments at all Apollo Hospitals.
3. With which entity the NITI Aayog has set up a Frontier Technologies Cloud Innovation Center (CIC) that will work on addressing societal challenges around areas like agriculture and healthcare through digital innovation ______ Amazon Web Services (AWS).
➢ The NITI Aayog Frontier Technologies Cloud Innovation Center is the first AWS CIC in India, and the first such centre that has been set up at a national level.
➢ It has such centres across countries like Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Germany, South Korea, and the US, including one in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
4. Which bank will provide USD 346 million loan for power supply project in rural Maharashtra ______ Asian Development Bank.
➢ The program aims to provide efficient and reliable power to agricultural customers in Maharashtra's rural areas through adoption of HVDS that will help reduce distribution losses, and improve agricultural productivity and farmer incomes.
➢ The program will be implemented until March 2022, by which time about 1.50,000 metered HVDS connections are expected.
5. Which commodity exchange has launched futures trading in real-time Base Metals Index 'METLDEX' ______ Multi Commodity Exchange of India (MCX).
➢ The Base Metals Index will track real-time performance of a basket of MCX Base Metal (near month) futures that includes zinc, copper, nickel, lead, and aluminium.
➢ Index trading will facilitate instant portfolio diversification and encourage passive, thematic elements in portfolios.
➢ The Index will soon emerge as a new real time barometer for Indian metal industry.
6. Which company won $14.1 million NASA contract to set up 4G network on Moon ______ Nokia.
➢ The grant is part of $370 million worth of contracts signed under NASA's "Tipping Point" selections, meant to advance research and development for space exploration.
➢ The system could support lunar surface communications at greater distances, increased speeds and provide more reliability than current standards.
7. Tata Motors has parterned with which bank for financing of its passenger vehicles ______ HDFC Bank.
➢ Through the partnership, it has introduced two new schemes’ Gradual Step Up Scheme’ and ‘TML Flexi Drive Scheme’ with an eye on making its products more accessible and driving up sales in the festive season.
➢ Under the Gradual Step Up scheme, customers can avail EMI options as low as ₹799 per lakh per month, depending on the product and variant.
8. Which e wallet in partnership with various credit card issuers will introduce 2 million co-branded credit cards for consumers in India in the next 12–18 months ______ Paytm.
➢ The company had digitised the entire credit card experience on Paytm app, in order to include a digital application process and help customers track issuance of their new credit card.
➢ The users can choose a convenient time to collect the documents on the app.
➢ Paytm has also announced that it is building the new ‘Next Generation Credit Cards’ will have diverse one-touch services, including changing security pin number, updating address, blocking card in the event of fraud prevention,
issuing duplicate card and viewing outstanding credit limit.
9. Which Fintech company is all set to launch a blockchain-platform in 2021 to facilitate investment in bonds by individuals ______ BondEvalue.
➢ Recently, BondEvalue got approval as a global Recognised Market Operator (RMO) from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
➢ The RMO allows BondbloX Bond Exchange (BBX), the world’s first blockchain-based bond exchange, to trade globally a wide range of fixed-income securities.
10. BSE along with GlobalLinker signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Industries and Commerce Department of which state government to support MSMEs of the state to raise equity funds ______ Telangana.
➢ This partnership will address the MSMEs challenges due to limited alternate sources of finance which increases their dependence on the debt capital that results in distorted capital structures and restrained cash flow.
➢ Under this MoU, BSE will support the MSMEs to address the challenges of access to finance and increase their credibility.
11. Which bank and Mastercard jointly announced the launch of ”IKEA Family Credit Card’‘ to make shopping at the Swedish furnishing company more affordable, convenient and rewarding ______ Citi Bank India.
➢ The card provides instant in-store card bookings, direct payments via Bharat QR, accelerated reward points and attractive EMIs and would also offer reward points on all purchases with instant reward redemption at IKEA.
➢ The card is available to IKEA family members at ”zero joining fee and zero annual fee’‘ and can be used for purchases made on IKEAs online and offline stores, or anywhere in the world that accepts credit cards.
12. Which bank has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs and with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) ______ Indian Bank.
➢ Indian Bank has developed an integrated online system to make payments of interest subvention and cash incentives to all street vendor-beneficiaries across the country through the Direct Benefit Transfer.
13. Which Small Finance Bank has partnered with Ashoknagar Co-operative Bank Limited under the bank sponsorship programme ______ Jana Small Finance Bank.
➢ With this, Jana Bank has become the first SFB to go live under the sponsorship programme.
➢ Ashoknagar Co-operative Bank Limited, in association with Jana Small Finance Bank, can extend ATM, POS and ecommerce services to its customers.
➢ This association marks the fulfilment of Jana Bank’s endeavour to promote a full suite of services to co-operative banks.
14. PhonePe launched car and bike insurance products on its platform in association with which insurance company ______ Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
➢ With this launch, over 230 million registered PhonePe users can now insure their vehicles seamlessly in under 2 minutes, without the need for any documents to be uploaded before the purchase and also view their policy documents instantly on the app.
➢ PhonePe users can also customise their car insurance plan based on their needs with a range of value-added offerings such as zero depreciation, 24X7 roadside assistance and engine protection among others.
15. Which Bank has approved $12 billion in financing to help developing countries buy and distribute coronavirus vaccines, tests, and treatments, aiming to support the vaccination of up to one billion people ______ World Bank.
➢ The $12 billion envelop is part of a wider World Bank Group package of up to $160 billion to help developing countries fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
1. Noted poet and 55th Jnanpith awardee Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri passed away recently, he was a poet of which language ______ Malayalam.
➢ Akkitham also won the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1973.
➢ He became a household name in the 1950s when his work Irupatham Noottandinte Ithihasam, a khandakavya, which is one of the first modernist poems of Malayalam literature, gained popularity.
➢ It even won the Sanjayan Award in 1952.
2. Veteran Test cricketer John Reid passed away recently, for which country did he played ______ New Zealand.
➢ Reid, regarded as one of the world’s best all-rounders during his heyday in the fifties and early sixties, captained New Zealand in 34 Tests including, most notably, the country’s first three victories.
➢ A hard-hitting right batsman and a seam bowler, he played 58 Tests after making his debut as a 19-year-old in 1949, scoring 3428 runs at 33.28, while taking 85 wickets at 33.35.
3. Renowned personality Shobha Naidu passed away recently, she was a veteran ______ Classical Dancer.
➢ Her major achievements include choreography and presentation of Ballets Vipranarayana, Kalyana Srinivasam and many others, in which she was the main protagonist and portrayed various roles like Satyabhama, Devadevaki, Padmavathi, Mohini, Sai Baba, and Goddess Parvati which won her great appreciation.
➢ Some of the famous awards won by her includes, Padma Shri in 2001, Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1991.
4. Renowned personality Bhanu Athaiya passed away recently, she was a veteran ______ Costume Designer.
➢ She won the Best Costume Design Oscar for her work in the 1982 film Gandhi, directed by Richard Attenborough.
➢ In 2012, Athaiya returned her Oscar to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for safekeeping.
➢ Bhanu Athaiya had also designed costumes for over 100 Bollywood movies.
5. Renowned personality Kishore Bhimani passed away recently, he was a veteran ______ Journalist.
➢ He was a leading cricket commentator in the Eighties and Nineties and is best remembered for being on the air during the tied Test of 1986 between India and Australia in Chepauk, Chennai.
➢ He had received a lifetime achievement award for his decades-long contribution in the fields of media and commentary in 2013.
6. Legendary singer Kaumudi Munshi, passed away due to COVID 19, she is also known as ‘Nightingale’ of which state ______ Gujarat.
➢ During the early stage of her career, Munshi sang mostly in Gujarati, gaining fame with songs like ‘Sachi re maari satre bhavani maa’.
➢ The singer also sang Bhojpuri songs, for the 1963 movie Bidesiya she sang ‘Neek Saiyan bin’ with renowned singer Geeta Dutt.
1. World Students’ Day is observed every year on which date ______ 15th October.
➢ This year marks the 89th birth anniversary of the former president and ‘Missile Man’ Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
➢ In 2010 the United Nations declared 15 October “World Students’ Day”, due to Kalam’s love for students and who himself was a dedicated teacher and identified himself foremost in that role before anything else.
2. Global Handwashing Day is observed every year on which date ______15th October.
➢ This year’s theme, “Hand Hygiene for All,” seeks to raise awareness of making soap and water available globally, especially in public places, schools, and health care facilities
3. The International Day of Rural Women is observed globally each year on ______ 15 October.
➢ In India, the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare observes the day as the Rashtriya Mahila Kisan Diwas since 2016, to increase the active participation of women in agriculture.
➢ The theme for this International Day of Rural Women is “Building rural women’s resilience in the wake of COVID19,” to create awareness of these women’s struggles, their needs, and their critical and key role in our society.
4. National Women Farmers’ Day is observed every year on ______ 15th October.
➢ Mahila Kisan Diwas was celebrated at ICAR Institutes and Krishi Vigyan Kendras across the country to recognize the contribution of women in Agriculture.
➢ The day was celebrated by ICAR-CIFRI with the hope to empower and leverage farm women with fisheries sector to bring Second Blue Revolution in the country.
5. World Food Day is observed every year on which date ______ 16th October.
➢ This day generates awareness globally for those who suffer from hunger and to ensure the need for food security and nutritious diets for all.
➢ Theme 2020: “Grow, Nourish, Sustain. Together”.
6. The World Statistics Day is observed every year on which date ______ 20th October.
➢ The celebration of World Statistics Day 2020 is a global collaborative endeavour, organized under the guidance of the United Nations Statistical Commission.
➢ The World Statistics Day 2020 theme “Connecting the world with data we can trust.”
➢ This theme reflects the importance of trust, authoritative data, innovation and the public good in national statistical systems.
7. The World Osteoporosis Day is observed every year on which date ______ 20th October.
➢ WOD is organized by the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF), by the launch of a year-long campaign with a specific theme.
➢ In 2020 the Global WOD Campaign theme is “THAT’S OSTEOPOROSIS”, highlighting emotionally impactful visuals and stories of real people living with osteoporosis in all regions of the world.
8. International Chef’s day is celebrated every year on ______ 20th October.
➢ International Chef’s day is celebrated on October 20 every year to honour the profession and educate people about healthy food.
➢ The theme of International Chefs Day 2020 is ‘Healthy Food For the Future’.
1. Former Reserve Bank of India Executive Director Uma Shankar has been appointed as the Additional Director (NonExecutive, Independent) to which bank ______ Karnataka Bank.
➢ She is a former Executive Director of Reserve Bank of India.
➢ She was with RBI for over 37 years in different capacities.
➢ Her core competence is in the financial sector supervision but she has also been responsible for currency management, foreign exchange and the internal accounting and administration.
2. Who has been elected as the President of the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) ______ Rohan Jaitley.
➢ He was the single candidate left for the post, as the lone candidate who had filed his nomination against him withdrew his candidature.
➢ The 31-year-old lawyer is slated to remain in the post till June 30, 2021. Notably, late Arun Jaitley had also served as the president of DDCA between 1999 and 2013.
3. Jacinda Ardern has been elected as prime minister of which country for the second consecutive three-year term ______ New Zealand.
➢ In the battle against Covid, Ardern was alone among her western peers in pursuing an explicit elimination strategy and imposed one of the strictest nationwide lockdowns in the world.
➢ Ardern’s centre-left Labour Party won 49.2% of the total 83.7% votes counted in the 120-member parliament.
4. Who has been appointed as the chairman of the Indian Bank Association (IBA) for the term 2020-21 ______ Rajkiran Rai G.
➢ Dinesh Kumar Khara, Chairman, State Bank of India, was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Association.
➢ IBA is an association of banks and other entities in the banking ecosystem in India catering to its members.
➢ The decision was taken during a meeting of the managing committee of IBA.
5. Who has been appointed as chief operating officer (COO) of Merchant payment network BharatPe ______ Dhruv Bahl.
➢ Merchant payment network BharatPe has elevated Dhruv Bahl as its chief operating officer (COO) with immediate effect.
➢ In his new role, Bahl will be leading operations across customer support, deployments – QR, Swipe & Cards, KYC, loan disbursals and lead generation.
6. Who has been named an ambassador for the World Athletics Half Marathon Championships to be held in Gdynia ______ Constantina Dita.
➢ Dita competed at eight editions of the World Half Marathon Championships and earned seven medals in the process, making her one of the most successful athletes in the history of the event.
➢ Her double victory in Edmonton in 2005, taking individual and team gold medals, remains one of the highlights of her career.
7. Who has been elected as President of the Editors Guild of India ______ Seema Mustafa.
➢ Mustafa succeeds Shekhar Gupta, the Editor-in-Chief of ThePrint, while Kapoor and Nath will take over from A.K. Bhattacharya, the Editorial Director of Business Standard, and Sheela Bhatt, the Contributing Editor of Rediff.com, respectively.