Important News – India
1. The virtual meeting of the G20 Trade and Investment Ministers was attended by ________ Piyush Goyal.
➢ Piyush Goyal has urged the G20 nations to build a universal framework to boost the affordable access & facilitate easy movement of health professionals across national borders to fight over COVID-19.
➢ He stressed on the need to uphold multilateral commitments and improve its effectiveness to meet current challenges.
2. Govt extends implementation of uniform stamp duty for capital market instruments from 1 April 2020 to _________July 1, 2020.
➢ the Department of Revenue has postponed the implementation of the uniform stamp duty on transfer of shares, debentures, futures, options, currency and other capital market instruments by 3 months to 1 July 2020 from 1 April 2020.
➢ To curb tax evasion, the government through Finance Act 2019 amended the Indian Stamp Act, 1899. Specific changes were to be effective from April 1, 2020 while amendments would come into effect from July 1, 2020.
➢ As part of the amendments, the stamp duty rates levied by Maharashtra will be taken as a benchmark as it accounts for 70% of the total collection.
3. As per revised norms of the central government what is the limit for a person reside in J&K to become permanent resident of the UT ________15 Years.
➢ A new definition for domicile for Jammu and Kashmir was introduced.
➢ As per the new definition a person residing in the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir for at least 15 years or has studied for a period of seven years in Jammu and Kashmir and appeared in Class 10 or 12 examinations will now be eligible to be a permanent resident of the UT.
➢ This new rule was issued under the Section 3A of the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Adaptation of State Laws Order 2020, under the Jammu and Kashmir civil services decentralisation and recruitment Act.
4. Which organization has launched a competition titled “United Against Corona- Express through Art” ________ Indian Council for Cultural Relations.
➢ The aim of the competition is to unite citizens across the world.
➢ The competition was announced by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and this soft-power initiative is being organized by ICCR.
➢ ICCR invites Indians and world citizens to submit their work of art expressing their emotions, feelings, ideas and innovative thoughts on the COVID- 19.
5. The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has extended the existing foreign trade policy (2015-20) _______ March 2021.
➢ The existing Policy came into effect on 1st April, 2015, is valid for 5 years and was originally up to March 31, 2020.
➢ Now, the commerce ministry will continue to provide the relief under various export promotion schemes such as Duty Free Import Authorisation (DFIA) and Export Promotion Capital Goods (EPCG) by granting an extension of another one year.
6. Donations for PM-CARES Fund granted tax exemption of _______100%.
➢ the donations made under newly-formed Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund (PM-CARES FUND) to provide assistance to the persons affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, are made eligible for 100% deduction under section 80G of the Income Tax (IT) Act, 1961.
➢ For this, the provisions of the IT Act are amended through the Taxation and other Laws (Relaxation of Certain Provisions) Ordinance, 2020.
7. National Cadet Corps (NCC) has offered its volunteer cadets to assist the civilian authorities to fight COVID-19 under _________‘Exercise NCC Yogdan’.
➢ It has issued guidelines for the temporary employment of its cadets to enhance the operations of various organizations involved in relief efforts & fighting the pandemic.
➢ The tasks for NCC cadets include- manning of helpline, call centres; distribution of relief materials, medicines,
food, essential commodities; community assistance; data management and queue & traffic management.
8. To build a portable and lightweight emergency ventilator system Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) has partnered with _________ ‘Wipro 3D’.
➢ The ventilator system will be based on Artificial Manual Breathing Unit (AMBU) to assist the breathing of the critical patients who have no access to ICU.
➢ This ventilator system is essentially a hand held device also called as AMBU bag or bag-valve-mask (BVM) to provide positive pressure ventilation to a corona patients with breathing difficulties with a controlled rate of expiration, inspiratory to expiratory ratio, Tidal volume etc.
9. The COVID- 19 National Preparedness Survey 2020 was conducted in how many districts ________410.
➢ The COVID-19 National Preparedness Survey 2020 was conducted in 410 Districts in the Country within 3 working days beginning on March 25, 2020.
➢ The survey was conducted with responses from 410 civil servants who are providing field level leadership.
10. To fight COVID-19 Civil services associations form an initiative called ________ ‘Caruna’.
➢ Associations representing officers of Central Civil Services, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and the Indian Police Service (IPS), have created an initiative called ‘CARUNA.
➢ The CARUNA stands for Civil Services Associations Reach to Support in Natural Disasters.
➢ This is to assist and supplement the government’s efforts to battle against Corona Virus (COVID-19).
11. The National Health Authority (NHA) partnered with which taxi company to provide 24/7 free transport services to India’s frontline healthcare workers ______Uber India.
➢ Initially, Uber will facilitate the provision of 150 cars free of cost to support medical facilities in Delhi, Noida, Ghaziabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Prayagraj, Patna via UberMedic service.
➢ The new cars supplied to NHA will be equipped with roof-to-floor plastic sheeting enclosing the driver’s seat, thereby acting as a protective barrier between rider and driver.
12. Name the operation launched by the Indian Air Force (IAF) to air-lifted 6.2 tonnes of essential medical supplies to Maldives via transport aircraft C-130J as assistance in the fight against the virus ____________‘Operation Sanjeevani’.
➢ Medicines including influenza vaccines, anti-viral drugs such as Lopinavir arid Ritonavir & other useful items were purchased by the Maldives’ State Trading Organisation (STO) from 8 suppliers in India.
➢ But due to the 21-day lockdown imposed due to the COVID-19 epidemic, it could not be possible to take them to Maldives by any other means.
➢ India has already sent a 14-member Rapid Response Team of doctors and specialists to Maldives to set up a viral testing laboratory.
➢ In addition, 5.5 tons of essential medicines were presented as gifts to the Maldives by the Government of India (GoI).
13. To deal with Covid-19 epidemic the central government has constituted a 10-member group under the chairmanship of _________Amitabh Kant.
➢ The work of this group will primarily identify issues through 3 groups of stakeholders, the empowered group set up for coordination with private sector, NGOs and international organisations then present effective measures to address solutions to the issues related to the formulation of plans for counter-activities related to COVID-19.
14. To help India fight against COVID-19 the Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched the initiative called _______ “Lifeline UDAN”.
➢ Under Lifeline UDAN initiative of Ministry of Civil Aviation, 132 cargo flights have been operated so far across the country to transport medical cargo including to remote and hilly areas.
➢ With support from Air India, Alliance Air, IAF and private airlines, medical supplies of more than 184 tons have been delivered till date during lockdown period.
15. Department of Science & Technology, Government of India has approved to set up a rapid response centre _______“CAWACH”.
➢ CAWACH stands for Centre for Augmenting WAR with COVID-19 Health Crisis. Rapid response centre “CAWACH” has been set up at a total cost of Rs 56 Crore at Society for
Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE), IIT Bombay
➢ Centre for Augmenting WAR with COVID-19 Health Crisis (CAWACH) is a rapid response centre which has been set up to scout, evaluate and support the innovations and start-ups that address COVID-19 challenges.
➢ The CAWACH centre will support the potential startups by providing financial assistance as well as fund deployment to target innovations that are deployable in the market within next 6 months.
16. Which Naval Dockyard has designed ‘Portable Multi-feed Oxygen Manifold (MOM)’ _________ Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam.
➢ This oxygen manifold is designed to supply oxygen to multiple patients at a time, which could prove helpful in a contingency created by COVID-19 spread.
➢ The preliminary trials were conducted at MI Room at NDV, followed by rapid trials at the Naval Hospital INHS Kalyani, where it was successfully installed within 30 minutes.
➢ The Navy personnel from the Eastern Naval Command (ENC) have developed a ‘Portable Multi-feed Oxygen Manifold (MOM)’ using a six-way radial header fitted to a single cylinder.
17. Name the official COVID-19 tracking app that has been launched by the Government of India ______ Aarogya Setu.
➢ The “Aarogya Setu” app has been developed by the National e-Governance Division of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology in association with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
➢ The Government of India has launched the mobile application “Aarogya Setu” to connect essential health services with the people of India to fight against COVID-19.
18. To help foreign tourists who are stuck in various parts of the country the Ministry of Tourism has launched a portal _______‘Stranded in India’.
➢ The portal consists of information around COVID-19 helpline numbers and call centres that foreign tourists can reach out for help, information around Ministry of External Affairs control centres along with their contact information and information around state-based/regional tourism support infrastructure.
Important News – State
1. Which state topped in the all-India level for micro-irrigation (MI), under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) __________Tamil Nadu.
➢ Tamil Nadu topped with coverage of 2,06,853.25 ha for the year financial year 2019-20.
➢ The state is followed by Karnataka and Gujarat with 1,41,103.56 Ha and 1,08,322.00 Ha of coverage respectively.
➢ On the other hand, the cumulative total coverage of MI during 2015-2020 has been topped by Karnataka (8,15,690.31 ha) followed by Andhra Pradesh (7,17,421.08 ha) and Gujarat (7,00,858.35 ha)
2. A ‘Modi Kitchen‘ has been set up in which state of India _______Tamil Nadu.
➢ The kitchen which has a capacity to serve 500 meals per day and will remain operational till 14th April 2020.
➢ The Modi Kitchen aims to deliver food parcels within a range of radius of 10 kms and has been set up in one of the main shopping areas of the city.
➢ This initiative has been taken by the functionaries of the Common Service Centre amid the lockdown due to COVID-19 pandemic.
3. To provide information about the symptoms of COVID-19 to the people at their doorsteps which state has launched “Active Case Finding Campaign” ________Himachal Pradesh.
➢ Under the “Active Case Finding Campaign”, the information would be provided to the people by the health workers.
➢ Every ASHA worker with a two-person team will reach out every house in the village and collect health information of every person.
➢ The collected information would be shared by the team with the department via Google form.
4. Which state government has launched a mobile application ‘Corona Watch’ ________Karnataka.
➢ The mobile application aims to track the movement history of persons tested positive, before their detection in order to take precautions and to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
➢ The app will also provide the date and time of visit to spots by the patients. ‘Corona Watch’ app also comprises a list of government designated first response hospitals for COVID-19 where citizen with symptoms can visit.
5. Which state has celebrated its formation day on April 1, 2020 _______Odisha.
➢ Utkal Divas (Odisha Day) is celebrated every year on 1st April all over Odisha.
➢ Odisha Day is celebrated in the memory of the formation of the state as a separate province on 1 April 1936.
➢ This year marks the 83rd Utkal Divas or the foundation day of Odisha.
6. Which state government has started distributing pensions at the doorstep to its 58,44,240 beneficiaries _______Andhra Pradesh.
➢ They using its 2.5 lakh volunteer eliminating the need for pensioners to step out of their homes. The aim is to encourage beneficiaries to stay at home and avoid stepping out.
➢ The beneficiaries have been receiving different amounts as per the defined categories.
➢ From old age persons to fishermen and folk artists, the pension will help every section amid the ongoing 21-day lockdown.
7. The Odisha government has launched an online cultural competition “Mo Prativa” in collaboration with the _______ UNICEF.
➢ The cultural competition “Mo Prativa” has been launched in order to keep children engaged at home during the lockdown period.
➢ The competition will enable childern to participate in various activies such as painting, writing of slogans, short stories, poems etc.
8. In which state ‘V Safe Tunnel’ has been installed to sanitize people _________ Telangana.
➢ The sanitising tunnel has been installed at the state Director General of Police’s office.
➢ A unique disinfectant named ‘V Safe Tunnel’ sanitizes people from any possible bacteria and other microbes within 20 seconds.
➢ The ‘V Safe Tunnel’ aims to minimise the local transmission of Coronavirus in the state by providing maximum protection to people passing through the tunnel in around 20 seconds.
Important News – World
1. As per the UNCTAD report titled World will go into recession except ________India and China.
➢ According to the latest UN report the world economy will go into recession except India and China due to coronavirus pandemic.
➢ With two-thirds of the world's population living in developing countries facing unprecedented economic damage from the coronavirus crisis.
➢ The exporting countries will face $2 trillion to $3 trillion drop in investment from overseas in the next two years.
➢ The downward growth in the emerging economies was already predicted in the last quarter of 2019 but the corona virus outbreak has made it worsen.
➢ It should be noted that the analysis did not give an explanation to why and how India and China will be the exceptions in the times of world recession.
2. The World Bank in its Economic Update for East Asia and Pacific (EAP) titled “East Asia and Pacific in the Time of COVID19” stated that poverty is estimated to increase ______ 11 Million.
➢ The World Bank in report says that the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic could drive an additional 11 million people into poverty in East Asia and the Pacific.
➢ In the worse-case scenario outlined by the Washington-based financial institution, the region could suffer its sharpest downturn in more than two decades, plunging much of Asia into a prolonged recession.
➢ The bank's baseline forecast projects that regional growth could slow to 2.1% in 2020, compared to estimated growth of 5.8% in 2019.
➢ However, under its worse case projection, the region's economy could contract by 0.5%, creating the potential for an extended crisis.
3. United Nation’s COP 26 climate change summit postponed till ________ 2021.
➢ The conference was planned to take place from 9-19 November 2020, in Glasgow, Scotland in the United Kingdom (UK).
➢ Pre-COP and ‘Youth for the Climate‘ event were also postponed supposed to be held in Italy.
➢ This decision has been taken by the COP Bureau of the UNFCCC after discussion with the UK and Italian partners.
4. What amount has been offered by the World Bank to the Indian government for a proposed India COVID-19 emergency response and health systems preparedness project ________ $1 billion.
➢ This four-year project aims to develop the preparedness of India’s health care systems in the time of the pandemic.
➢ The idea of the project will be to respond and mitigate the COVID-19 threat and strengthen national systems for public health preparedness in India, as per the project document.
➢ The World Bank funding is from its COVID-19 fast-track facility where both the entities (World Bank and the government of India) will work on following the best international practice.
Honor & Awards
1. Which manufacturing unit of Indian Railway has set the Limca Book of Records for producing record 431 locomotives in the financial year 2019-2020 ________ Chittaranjan Locomotive Works.
➢ This was achieved despite novel coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions that creating disruptions during the current financial year (FY20).
➢ The unit has surpassed its own previous year (2018-2019) record when it produced 402 locomotives in 297 working days.
➢ CLW’s Locomotive production has increased 75% over the last 6 years period from 250 in 2014-15 to 431 in 2019-20 in line to support 100% Electrification and ‘Make in India’ initiative of the central government.
2. Which NGO has been awarded the Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship 2020 in recognition of its exceptional work in the maternal and child health space in India ______ ARMMAN.
➢ ARMMAN, an India-based non-profit organization (NPO), has been awarded the Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship 2020 in recognition of its exceptional work in the maternal and child health space in India, along with 4 other awardees.
➢ ARMMAN is the only organization from Asia and Africa, selected from 700 organizations.
3. Who has been conferred with ‘Hero to Animals Award’ by animal rights body PETA India _______ Naveen Patnaik.
➢ He has been awarded by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) for allocating funds to feed community animals in Odisha during the lockdown over the novel coronavirus pandemic.
➢ The lockdown has not only affected people but animals as well. In the concern that the animals do not go starving in such conditions, CM approved of Rs 54 lakhs from a relief fund to feed animals of the community.
1. Which Grand Slam tournament has been cancelled for the first time since World War II due to coronavirus pandemic ________ Wimbledon 2020.
➢ The tournament organizer, All England Club (AELTC) after an emergency meeting announced that the Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the Novel Coronavirus pandemic.
➢ The tournament was due to be played between 29 June and 12 July.
2. World Athletics championship shifted to ________2022.
➢ The 2021 world athletics championships will be shifted to 2022. The championship was originally scheduled to held in Eugene, Oregon from August 6-15, 2021.
➢ The announcement came immediately after the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic will now take place on July 23-August 8, 2021.
➢ The athletics federation also talking to the organisers of the 2022 European Athletics Championships, which are due to take place in Munich on August 11-21.
3. What will be the mascot 19th Asian Games ______ ‘The Smart Triplets’.
➢ The Olympic Council of Asia has announced the official mascots of the 19th Asian Games to be held in Hangzhou in 2022.
➢ The three robots namely Congcong, Lianlian and Chenchen which are collectively known as “The Smart Triplets” will be the official mascots of the 19th Asian Games.
➢ The mascot was unveiled by Olympic Council of Asia at a digital launch ceremony in Hangzhou, China.
4. Who has been inducted into Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame ______ Kobe Bryant.
➢ The late Kobe Bryant has been selected as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
➢ He has been selected as the member of the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.
➢ Kobe Bryant, the 18-time NBA All Star, has now become a part of 9-member class that also constitutes multiple AllStar selections Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.
5. The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has banned which two countries from participating in weightlifting events at the Tokyo Olympics due to multiple doping offences _______ Malaysia & Thailand.
➢ The Independent Member Federation Sanctions Panel (IMFSP) of the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has banned the Malaysia & Thailand weightlifters from competing in Tokyo Olympics 2020.
➢ IMSP has imposed the disciplinary sanctions on both the countries from participating in weightlifting events at the Tokyo Olympics for doping violations.