Banking & Financial Awareness
1. The Bank which partnered with Care Ratings for assessing the credit quality of small and medium enterprises (SME) customers ___Bank of Baroda.
➢ State owned Bank of Baroda(BoB) has partnered with Care Ratings for assessing the credit quality of small and medium enterprises (SME) customers.
➢ This partnership will help to grade the credit quality of the bank’s current and prospective SME customers by processing and analyzing structured, unstructured and new data streams.
2. The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has given its approval for loan worth Rs 140 crore at low interest rate to ____Punjab State Agricultural Development Bank (PSADB).
➢ The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has given its approval for loan worth Rs 140 crore at low interest rate to Punjab State Agricultural Development Bank (PSADB).
➢ This has been done to strengthen as well as provide financial support to PSADB.
3. Fitch Ratings Inc in its ‘India’s economic growth outlook’, has estimated India’s GDP growth rate for the financial year- FY21 at ____ 5.6%.
➢ Fitch Ratings Inc, an American credit rating agency in its ‘India’s economic growth outlook’, has estimated India’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product) growth to 5.6% for the financial year-FY21.
➢ For the current fiscal 2019-20 (FY 20), GDP is projected at 4.6%.
4. The company which has partnered with Eastern Railways in order to set up a pick-up kiosk at the Sealdah railway station in Kolkata ____Amazon India.
➢ Multinational technology company(MNC) Amazon India has partnered with Eastern Railways in order to set up a pick-up kiosk at the Sealdah railway station in Kolkata, West Bengal.
➢ Previously successful pilot of pickup kiosks in 4 railway stations across Mumbai, Maharashtra was set up in 2019.
5. The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposal for the combination of Yum Restaurants (India) private Limited (YRIPL) and ______Devyani International Limited (DIL).
➢ The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposal for the combination of Yum Restaurants (India) private Limited (YRIPL) and Devyani International Limited (DIL).
➢ The proposal is that DIL is going to acquire some Equity Shareholding and sell some KFC restaurants.
6. The payments bank which has launched an all-in-one QR (Quick Response), point-of-sale (POS) device for merchants across India ____Paytm.
➢ Paytm, India’s leading digital payments company,has launched an all-in-one QR (Quick Response), point-of-sale (POS) device for merchants across India & SDK (software development kit) for third-party integration.
➢ With the help of QR & POS device, businessmen will be able to get unlimited payments across the country at zero percent fees through Paytm wallet, Rupay Cards & all UPI (Unified Payments Interface) based apps directly.
7. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the Insurance cover on bank deposits to ____Rs 5 lakh.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the Insurance cover on bank deposits to Rs 5 lakh from Rs 1 lakh effective from February 4, 2020 with a view to giving protection to depositors.
➢ The cover is provided by a wholly owned subsidiary of the RBI, the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
8. Reliance General Insurance Company Limited, one of the leading insurance companies in India, has launched a comprehensive health insurance plan called ____ Infinity.
➢ Reliance General Insurance Company Limited, one of the leading insurance companies in India, has launched a comprehensive health insurance plan called “Reliance Health Infinity”.
➢ Under the plan, the minimum sum insured will be Rs. 3 lakh while the maximum sum insured limit will be Rs. 1 crore.
9. In its 6th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy the Reserve Bank of India has kept Repo rate at _____ 5.15%.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced its 6th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Rates for 2020-21 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ The RBI has kept policy rates unchanged; the rates are
• Repo Rate: 5.15%
• Reverse Repo Rate: 4.90%
• Marginal standing facility (MSF) Rate: 5.40%
• Bank Rate: 5.40%
10. As per the new Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) being conducted by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MosPI) the rate of unemployment for 2017-18 is _____6.1%.
➢ As per the new Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) being conducted by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MosPI), the labour force participation is 36.9 % and the rate of unemployment for 2017-18 is 6.1%.
➢ The government is conducting a new PLFS with new parameters and bigger sample size, and its results cannot be compared with previous surveys. It’s an attempt to provide authentic data.
11. Union Cabinet Approves Amendments to Banking Regulation Act to regulate ____ Urban Co-Operative banks.
➢ The Union Cabinet has approved amendments to the Banking Regulation Act to empower India’s Central Bank (Reserve Bank of India) to have better control over urban co-operative banks and multi-state cooperative banks.
➢ These amendments will apply to the urban co-operative banks and multi-state cooperative banks.
12. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will conduct the “Financial Literacy Week 2020” from ____February 10 to February 14, 2020.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will conduct the “Financial Literacy Week 2020” from February 10 to February 14, 2020.
➢ The theme of the Financial Literacy Week 2020 is “Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs)”.
1. Name the noted Social activist, feminist writer and journalist passed ___Vidya Bal.
➢ Social activist, feminist writer and journalist Vidya Bal passed away.
➢ She was known for her heroic oppressive practices involving women.
➢ She was a forefront fighter for women equality with men.
➢ Her Public Interest Litigation was against the restriction of women at Shani Shingnapur temple under Maharashtra Hindu Place of Worship Act, 1956.
2. Jaswant Singh Kanwal passed away recently, he was a veteran _____ Punjabi writer.
➢ Eminent Punjabi writer and Sahitya Akademi Awardee Jaswant Singh Kanwal passed away.
➢ In 1996, he was bestowed the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship award for his book ‘Pakhi’ (Hand Fan) and two years later in 1998, he received the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel ‘Taushali Di Hanso’.
3. Renowned personality Rabi Singh passed away recently, he was a veteran ____ Odia revolutionary poet and freedom fighter.
➢ Renowned Odia revolutionary poet and freedom fighter Rabi Singh passed away. He was popularly known as ‘Biplabi Kabi’ (the revolutionary poet) for his patriotic writings.
➢ Rabi Singh was awarded Atibadi Jagannath Das Samman by Odisha Sahitya Akademi in 2017 for his contribution to Odia literature.
4. Padma Shri awardee and renowned Punjabi novelist passed away recently is____ Dalip Kaur Tiwana.
➢ Padma Shri awardee and renowned Punjabi novelist, Dalip Kaur Tiwana passed away at the age of 84 due to old age ailments.
➢ She was well known for novels ‘Teeli da Nishaan’ and ‘Sooraj te Samandar’. She was also a former president of the Punjabi Sahit Akademi.
5. Sahitya Academy Awardee Jaswant Singh Kanwal passed away at 101, he was writer of ____Punjabi.
6. Daniel Arap Moi passed away recently, he was former President of ___Kenya.
➢ Daniel Arap Moi Kenya’s Ex-President, who is a farmer School Teacher and became Kenya’s longest serving President dies at 95 due to age issues and also getting treatment in Hospital for a month.
➢ Moi’s Death was announced by Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta on the State Broadcaster with a Statement.
1. The World Wetlands Day 2020 was observed on ____February 2, 2020.
➢ World Wetlands Day (WWD) was observed to spread awareness and to conserve the wetlands all over the world.
➢ The of this year day is “Wetlands and Biodiversity”.
➢ The theme highlights the importance of biodiversity conservation, which conveys nearly 40% of the world’s plant & animal species live or breed on wetlands.
2. The World Cancer Day 2020 was observed on ____ February 4, 2020.
➢ The World Cancer Day is organized by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC), Geneva, Switzerland, every year on February 4 to raise awareness to encourage cancer’s prevention, detection and treatment.
➢ The primary goal of World Cancer Day is to reduce the illness & death caused by cancer. The theme of WCD from 2019-21 is “I am and I will”.
3. International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation 2020 was observed on ____February 6, 2020.
➢ The International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) was observed. It was observed since 2003, as part of the UN’s efforts to eradicate Female Genital Mutilation.
➢ The day spreads the awareness about FGM which is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
1. The Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India (GoI) has appointed as Next High Commissioner of India to Canada ____ Ajay Bisaria.
➢ The Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India(GoI) announced Ajay Bisaria as Next High Commissioner of India to Canada.
➢ Bisaria is an IFS (Indian Foreign Service) officer of 1987 batch.
➢ Bisaria served as High Commissioner of India to Pakistan.
2. Who has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of International Business Machines (IBM) ____ Arvind Krishna.
➢ Indian origin technology executive Arvind Krishna has been elected as Chief Executive Officer of American IT giant International Business Machines Corp (IBM) after a “world-class succession process” will be effective on April, becomes the third Indian to head US-based multinational company after Microsoft corporation chief Satya Nadella and Google ceo sundar pichai.
3. Who has been appointed as the chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) ____ M. Ajit Kumar.
➢ The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of M.Ajit Kumar as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
➢ Ajit is an IRS (Indian Revenue Service) officer of the batch 1984.
➢ Ajit served as member of CBIC and he will replace Pranab Kumar. Das as the chairman of CBIC.
4. Who has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Iraq ____ Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi.
➢ Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi, 65 years old, was appointed as the Iraq’s new Prime Minister (PM) by its
➢ President Barhim Salih. He was the successor of Adil Abdul-Mahdi who resigned in November 2019 due to anti-government protests.
5. Who has been appointed as the Next High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka ____ Gopal Baglay.
➢ Ministry of External Affairs has announced Experienced Diplomat Shri Gopal Baglay, a 1992 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, has been appointed as the Next High Commissioner of India to The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
➢ Baglay will replace Taranjit Sandhu, who has been appointed as Indian Ambassador to U.S.
6. Who has been appointed as the President of the Paralympic Committee of India ____ Deepa Malik.
➢ India’s lone woman Paralympic medalist Deepa Malik, 49 years old,Sonipat from Haryana, was elected as President of the Paralympic Committee of India.
➢ He was the successor of the acting interim president Gursharan Singh.
➢ Deepa Malik won a silver in shot put F-53 event in the 2016 Rio Paralympic games.
7. Who has been appointed as the new and 4th Prime Minister (PM) of the Republic of Kosovo ___ Albin Kurti.
➢ Former rebel leader Albin Kurti (44 years) has been appointed as the new and 4th Prime Minister (PM) of the Republic of Kosovo by its parliament.
➢ Albin replaced Ramush Haradinaj as the PM, as Ramush resigned the post in July 2019 when he was summoned to be questioned at the war crimes court in The Hague, Netherlands.
8. American Greek economist Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg has resigned as the Chief Economist of the ____ World Bank (WB).
9. Who has become the Executive Chairman of the Linkedin ____ Jeff Weiner.
➢ Jeff Weiner became the Executive Chairman (EC) of Linkedin. He was the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Linkedin for the past 11 years. Linkedin is the professional networking company owned by Microsoft.
➢ Ryan Roslansky, senior Vice President (VP) of Linkedin will become the CEO of the company as of June 1. He is the successor of Jeff Weiner.
➢ Tom Cohan, current Vice President of Marketing Solutions will replace Roslanky.
10. Who has been appointed as the as Britain’s New High Commissioner to India ____ Philip Barton.
➢ The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) of Great Britain announced that it has appointed Philip Robert Barton KCMG OBE (Knight Commander order of British Empire) as its new high commissioner of Great Britain to India.
➢ He will Replace Sir Dominic Anthony Gerard Asquith KCMG and will take charge on Spring Season.
Important News – India
1. India’s first of its kind fruit train was launched by ______Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The fruit train was launched from Tadipatri Railway Station in Anantapur district & from Kadapa district of Andhra Pradesh.
➢ This is the first time an entire train carrying a load of 980 metric tonnes of locally grown bananas which has been sent to the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNP)in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ Those bananas will be exported to Iran
2. The first meeting of the Indian National Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO (INCCU) in ____ New Delhi.
➢ The Union Minister of Human Resource and Development (MHRD) Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ chaired the meeting of Indian National Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO (INCCU) in New Delhi.
➢ This was the 1st meeting after the National Commission’s reconstitution.
3. Indian Navy has carried out 5-day coastal security exercise called, ‘Matla Abhiyaan’ in ____ Kolkata, West Bengal.
➢ Indian Navy has carried out 5-day coastal security exercise called, ‘Matla Abhiyaan’ at Sundarban region in Kolkata, West Bengal with the aim to create awareness about the coastal security to the local community & understand the navigational complexities in the Sundarban delta waters.
➢ Indian Navy has carried out 5-day coastal security exercise called, ‘Matla Abhiyaan’ at Sundarban region in Kolkata, West Bengal with the aim to create awareness about the coastal security to the local community & understand the navigational complexities in the Sunderban delta waters.
4. World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) 2020 was held in ____ New Delhi.
➢ The Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) was inaugurated a 3-day long World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) 2020 based on the theme “Towards 2030 Goals: Making the Decade Count” at India Habitat Centre in New Delhi from 29-31 January, 2020.
➢ The summit was organized by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), a research institute specializes in the fields of energy.
5. The Department of Science and Technology has launched a special scheme for Science and Technology infrastructure in India is called ____ Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes (SATHI)”.
➢ The aim of the scheme is to create shared, professionally managed and strong Science and Technology infrastructure in India.
➢ The SATHI scheme will enable academia, start-ups, manufacturing, industry and R&D labs to offer high-end analytical testing.
➢ This will help to avoid duplication, reduce the dependency on foreign sources & also foster a strong culture of collaboration between institutions.
6. How many people were trained under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana from 2016-20 ___ 73.47 lakh.
➢ Approximately 73.47 lakh candidates were provided skilling under Short Term Training (STT) courses and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) across India from 2016-2020 under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
➢ It is a flagship program under the Skill India Mission of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MoSD&E).
7. India’s biggest rural technical festival ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ was held in ____Telangana.
➢ The festival was inaugurated by M Prashanthi, District Collector of Nirmal, Telangana.
➢ The festival was held for 3 days from 31st January to February 1,2020. The theme for the year 2020 was “Spot and encourage rural tech innovators”.
8. India signed 4 MoUs in the field of research and higher education with ____ Norway.
➢ The agreements were led by Anni Line Wold, Norway Director-General,Norwegian Ministry of Education & Research and witnessed by Hans Jacob Frydenlund Norwegian Ambassador to India at New Delhi, India.
➢ The MoU was signed between the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi and the University of Tromso, the Arctic University of Norway, for cooperation in fields such as bio-photonics, health & diagnostic tools, nanotechnology, water management and renewable energy.
9. ‘Intivadhakey Pension’ scheme was launched by which state which created a record by covering 94 % of about 60 lakh pensioners at their doorstep within a few days _____ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The Andhra Pradesh (AP) state Government led by its Chief Minister(CM) Yeduguri Sandinti Jaganmohan Reddy,has created a record with its ‘Intivadhakey Pension’ (Pension to your Doorstep) Scheme by covering 94 % of about 60 lakh pensioners at their doorstep within a few days.
➢ The scheme was launched in 13 districts on February 1, 2020.
➢ AP is the 1st state in India to take up such an initiative of Door delivery of pension service.
10. The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME) implemented a new scheme named _____“Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries”(SFURTI).
➢ Under this scheme, financial support will be given to set up traditional industries clusters viz. Khadi, Coir & Village industries clusters.
➢ Traditional industries to be set up in India in a period of 5 years and make the industries more profitable.
➢ The scheme was first launched in 2005 to boost cluster development by MSME.
11. According to the recent report published by German cybersecurity firm Greenbone Sustainable Resilience which state topped which has been hit by global medical data leak ___Maharshtra.
➢ The analysis was made after data of around 120 million Indian patients were leaked and made freely available on the internet.
➢ Maharashtra was followed by Karnataka in 2nd place with 1,82,865 data leaks giving access to 1,37,31,001 images.
12. The Supreme Court has directed the state governments to setup “Gram Nyayalayas” within _____ 4 weeks.
➢ It also asked the High Courts (HC) to speed up consultation with department concerned on the matter.
➢ The present scenario of the states with respect to the Gram Nyayalayas were submitted by the SC Advocate Prashant Bhushan.
➢ The SC observed that some States haven’t taken any initiative & no notification has been issued in the matter.
13. 15-member trust named ‘Sri Ram Janma Bhoomi Tirtha Kshetra trust’ for the construction of Ram Mandir led by ______ Kesava Iyengar Parasaran.
➢ Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in Parliament about the formation of a trust to oversee the construction of a Ram Temple in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ In this regard, 67.703 acres of land near the temple area has been allocated to the trust.
➢ This 15 member’s trust will also include a Dalit representative who would be in-charge of the entire land.
14. 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS), 2020 was held in _____Kochi, Kerala.
➢ The show was organized jointly by the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) under Ministry of Commerce and Industry & the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI).
➢ The theme of this year’s show is “Blue Revolution- Beyond Production to Value Addition”.
➢ More than 200 exhibitors, 350 stalls and over 5000 delegates, including foreign delegates, are expected to attend the event at Kochi.
15. Sports Authority of India (SAI) and Hockey India announced the establishment of the High Performance Centers in ____7 places.
➢ The 7 High Performance Hockey centres will be set up under the Khelo India scheme & will have expert professional training, utilization of sports science & education for the youngsters.
➢ The High Performance Centers
16. The Union Cabinet has given its in-principle approval for setting up a new Major Port at ____ Vadhavan.
➢ The new Major Port will be established on the basis of land lord model.
➢ The projected cost of the Vadhavan Port is over Rs 65,000 crore.
➢ After the development of this new Major Port at Vadhavan in Maharashtra, India is expected to enter the list of countries with top 10 container ports in the world.