Banking & Financial Awareness
1. Markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has extended Deadline for Power of Attorney Norms till ----August 1, 2020.
➢ The decision regarding extension has been taken due to the difficulty faced by the stock brokers and broker associations in implementing the provisions amid the situation arising due to COVID-19.
2. To study and plan for initiating a joint venture (JV) company BEML has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with ---Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (MELCO).
➢ This MoU is on the lines of invitation of BEML regarding Expression of Interest (EoI) for Manufacturing, Partnerships under “Make in India” policy.
3. Which bank has acquired a 24.19% stake in Dish TV India Ltd?
➢ As of March 31, Dish TV promoters owned 54.56% stake in the company, out of which over 93% was pledged with the lenders.
➢ Following the transaction, Dish TV promoters led by Jawahar Goel will only have just 30.37% stake in the company.
➢ But before as on March 31, 2020 they owned 54.56% stake in the company, out of which over 93% was pledged with the lenders.
4. What is worker population ratio as per the ‘Annual Report of Periodic Labour Force Survey launched by National Statistical Office (NSO)?
➢ According to the survey, the worker population ratio increased to 35.3% as compared to 34.7% in 2017-18.
➢ The unemployment rate fell to 5.8% in the period July 2018 to June 2019 as compared to 6.1% in the same period 2017-18.
5. For how many kharif crops the central government has announced minimum support price (MSP) on the recommendation of Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices
➢ The Minimum Support Price of Paddy has been increased by Rs 53 per quintal. The MSP of paddy has been fixed at Rs 1,868 per quintal for the year 2020-21. The rates of pulses, oil seeds and cereals have also been increased.
➢ The MSP of cotton has been increased from Rs 5,255 per quintal to Rs 5,515 per quintal.
6. Which grade has been given by ratings agency Moody’s Investors Service towards India’s sovereign rating ______ Baa3.
➢ Baa3 is the lowest investment grade in Moody’s rating ladder.
➢ This means, India is just one notch above the non-investment grade or junk grade.
➢ Moody’s had upgraded the country’s rating to Baa2 in November 2017.
7. Which of the following banks is the technical partner for implementation of PM Svanidhi, or Pradhan Mantri Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi scheme launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs________ Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
➢ The scheme was announced by finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 14 May to enable street vendors to resume their livelihoods, which have been hit hard due to the national lockdown.
➢ It is a special micro-credit facility plan to provide affordable loan of up to ₹10,000 to more than 50 lakh street vendors, who had their businesses operational on or before 24 March.
➢ The the scheme is valid until March 2022.
8. Which bank has partnered with Transport Corporation of India Limited (TCIL)to facilitate real time payments for truck drivers ________ DBS Bank.
➢ The solution has been set up under the aegis of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). DBS RAPID (Realtime APIs by DBS) and UPI payments, provides a seamless integration with the company’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
➢ By this solution, TCIL truck drivers will receive an instant credit into their bank account, which they can then swipe at terminals or withdraw cash using ATMs.
9. Which of the following banks has introduced a first-of-its-kind facility for customers to open current accounts (CA) through its ‘Corporate’ mobile app ________ IndusInd Bank.
➢ Current account can be opened for all types of businesses including proprietorships, partnerships and private and public limited companies through this facility.
➢ Bank officials will go to the customer’s home and gather information about them and his/her business on a realtime basis and verify it.
10. Which bank partnered with Mastercard India & Worldline India to launch a digital point-of-sale (POS) solution ‘Soft POS’ _______ Axis Bank.
➢ Through this app merchants who traditionally accept cash payments will now have a simpler and more secure way to manage transactions.
➢ The app allows banks to have complete visibility of a merchant’s transactions, which makes it easier for small merchants to get business loans.
11. Which company has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) for development of” trigeneration” projects in India _____GAIL India Limited.
➢ An equal (50:50) joint venture between the two companies will be incorporated for undertaking trigeneration projects if the studies made by 2 companies are viable.
➢ Since the trigeneration business is at the initial stage, the collaboration will enable first movers to take advantage in the trigeneration business like GAIL’s city gas business.
12. In order to encourage the deployment of Points of Sale (PoS) infrastructure in smaller cities and towns, the Reserve Bank of India has signed initiated a Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF) of ______Rs 500 crore.
➢ The fund has been created with initial corpus of of Rs 250 crore.
➢ The remaining amount will be contributed by card issuing banks and card networks working in the country.
13. As per the 64th survey of Professional Forecasters (SPF) on Macroeconomic Indicators released by RBI in FY 2021 India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth may contract by _______1.5 per cent.
➢ However, the next financial year it will return to the relief of growth and will register a growth of 7.2 %.
➢ RBI has conducting this SPF since September 2007 & the results for the latest were received during May 7-28, 2020.
14. Which bank has created a separate Financial Inclusion and Micro Market vertical within the bank to provide financial services to people in the interior of the country ________State Bank of India.
➢ The new wing will be headed by deputy managing director (DMD) Sanjeev Nautiyal at the national level.
➢ Under this new category, the bank will mainly finance agriculture and allied activities and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
1. Renowned personality Wajid Khan passed away recently, he was a veteran ________Music Director.
➢ Wajid Khan was the brother of music director Sajid Khan. He was born in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh on July 10, 1977.
➢ Wajid along with his brother Sajid served as mentors on singing reality shows “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa 2012” and “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Superstar”.
2. Famous sprinter Bobby Morrow passed away recently, he was held from which country ________USA.
➢ He is one of the four men (Jesse Owens(1936), Carl Lewis(1984), Usain Bolt(2012 & 2016)) to win three events at a single game (100m, 200m and 4x100m relay).
➢ He won three gold medals for 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay in the 1956 Olympic in Melbourne.
3. Former Union Minister and three-time Congress MP P Namgyal passed away recently, he was held from which state/UTs of India ________ Ladakh.
➢ Former Union Minister and three-time Congress MP from Ladakh, P Namgyal passes away. He has served as the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, Surface Transport and Chemicals and Petro chemicals.
➢ He was also an agriculturist, a social worker and served as the secretary general and vice president of the Pradesh Congress Committee in the erstwhile Jammu and Kashmir state.
4. Famous sportsperson turned coach Jayantilal Nanoma passed away recently, he was associated with which sports _______ Archery.
➢ Former International Archer turned coach Jayantilal Nanoma passed away. He was an Asian Cup and Asian Grand Prix medallist in compound individual and team archery in 2010.
➢ He was also the recipient of prestigious Maharana Pratap State Sports Award and was presently serving as the District Sports Officer in Dungarpur.
5. Renowned personality Basu Chatterjee passed away recently, he was a veteran _______ Screenwriter.
➢ He worked in Hindi & Bengali cinema and was a dialogue writer and produced a few films.
➢ He received the National Film Award for Best Film on Family Welfare in 1992 for his film Durga. He was born on January 10, 1930, in Ajmer, British India.
6. Renowned personality Anwar Sagar passed away recently, he was a veteran ________ Song Writer.
➢ He is best remembered for his hit track Waada Raha Sanam from 1992 Akshay Kumar-starrer Khiladi.
➢ The lyricist also has to his credit films like Yaarana, Salaami, Aa Gale Lag Jaa and Vijaypath among more.
➢ Anwar Sagar also worked with music directors like Nadeem-Shravan, Rajesh Roshan, Jatin-Lalit and Anu Malik.
1. What is the theme of the World Milk Day 2020 observed every globally on 1st June ________ 20th Anniversary of World Milk Day.
➢ June 1 is observed as World Milk Day with the aim to raise awareness about milk and its importance as a global food.
➢ Established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of milk as global food, World Milk Day is been observed on June 1 each year since 2001.
2. What is the theme of the Global Day of Parents 2020 celebrated every year on 1st June _______ Appreciate all parents throughout the world.
➢ United Nations celebrates Global Day of Parents on 1st of June every year to honour all the parents throughout the world.
➢ Not only parents rather grandparents and great grandparents are also a part of this day.
➢ So Global Day of Parent’s urges upon to show gratitude and due respect to the elderly.
3. World Bicycle Day is celebrated every year on which date _______3rd June.
➢ The World Bicycle Day is being celebrated since 2018. The day was declared by the United Nations. The main aim to observe the day is to celebrate uniqueness, versatility and longevity of bicycle.
➢ The day is being celebrated as an after effect of Leszek Sibilski’s crusade. Sibilski led campaigns to promote UN resolution for World Bicycle Day.
4. International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed globally every year on which date _______4th June.
➢ This day affirms the UN’s commitment to guard the rights of children. This day is to acknowledge the pain suffered by children throughout the planet who are the victims of physical, mental and emotional abuse.
➢ The main aim of celebrating today is to spread the notice about the pain and sufferings faced by the victims as children.
5. What is the theme of the World Environment Day 2020, celebrated every year on June 5 _________ Celebrate Biodiversity.
➢ This year, in 2020, the day is to be hosted in Colombia in partnership with Germany.
➢ The day was hosted by India in 2018. It was then India emphasized on prevention of Plastic pollution. In 2019, the day was hosted by China under the theme “Air Pollution”.
6. Every year June 2nd is celebrated as the _________ International Sex Workers Day.
➢ The is celebrated to ensure that the sex workers enjoy the same rights as all the other human beings and tackle the abuse and trafficking problems.
➢ More than 100 sex workers occupied the Saint-Nizier Church, Lyon, France On 2nd June 1975 to express their anger on being treated as criminals and their disgraceful living conditions with a banner saying “Our Children do not want their mothers to go to jail” broadcasted their campaign to the world through the media.
➢ The gathered were brutally raided by the police on June 10.
7. World Pest Day or World Pest Awareness Day is celebrated every year on ______6th June.
➢ The day is observed to raise awareness of how pest management helps preserve the quality of life.
➢ The day is initiated by the Chinese Pest Control Association, and co-sponsored by the Federation of Asian and Oceania Pest Managers’ Association (FAOPMA), the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), and the Confederation of European Pest Management Associations(CEPA).
8. United Nations Russian Language Day is celebrated every year on ________ 6th June.
➢ The Day is celebrated to promote and support Multilingualism and cultural diversity and to celebrate the birthday of the famous Russian poet Alexander Puskin who was born on 6th June 1799.
➢ The First UN Russian Language Day was celebrated in 2010.
9. The International Day for the Fight against Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing 2020 is celebrated on ________ 5th June.
➢ The first International Day for the fight against IUU fishing was observed in 2018.
➢ In July 2017, The proposal for the day was submitted to the 40th Session of the FAO conference.
➢ UN had declared the year 2022 as the International Year of Artisanal Fisheries and Aquaculture.
1. Who has been appointed as the chief executive officer (CEO) of Media Agency, Carat India _______ Anita Kotwani.
➢ She was earlier serving as the senior vice president, new business and client lead, for The Walt Disney business at Mindshare India.
➢ Taking over the new role of CEO, Anita Kotwani will work towards Carat India’s strategic progress and business growth nationally.
2. Who has been appointed as the as the Managing Director (MD) of the India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL) for 3 years _________ PR Jaishankar.
➢ He will serve as the MD of IIFCL for a period of 3 years. He has earlier served as the executive director of the National Housing Bank.
➢ The appointment comes after the recommendation of PS Jaishankar by the Bank Boards Bureau (BBB) on March 15, 2020.
3. Who has been appointed as the chief executive officer of India’s apex food regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) ________ Arun Singhal.
➢ Singhal is special secretary, department of health and family welfare.
➢ The food regulator, that comes under the purview of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, is responsible for setting up standards for the food industry and regulate the manufacturing, storage, distribution, sale, and import of foods.
4. Who has been appointed as the chairman of the advisory committee on service providers by the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) _______ TV Mohandas Pai.
➢ The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) reorganised its advisory committee on service providers.
➢ The appointments of the Insolvency Professionals(IPs) as administrators are provided by the Security and Exchange Board of India Regulations. 2018.
5. Who will chair the committee constituted by the PM Narendra Modi to solve the difficulties faced in the implementation of Rs.3 Lakh crore collateral-free loan for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises(MSME) ________Rajnath Singh.
➢ The borrowers can borrow from the financial institutions without any asset or pledge collateral under this scheme.
➢ The units with Rs.25 Crore outstanding credit and Rs 100 crore turnover are eligible for the loan.
➢ It is for 4-year tenure with interest rates capped according to the Finance Ministry and the moratorium will be for 12 months.
6. Who has been re-appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) ________ Subramanian Sundar.
➢ This was the second extension given to Mr. Sundar, earlier as the MD and CEO (interim) from January 1, 2020 to April 30, 2020.
➢ His tenure was again extended from May 31, 2020 to November 30, 2020 or till the appointment of new CEO.
7. Who has assumed office as the president of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 2020-21 ________Uday Kotak.
➢ T V Narendran, CEO and managing director of Tata Steel Limited, is now the president designate of CII for 2020- 21.
➢ Sanjiv Bajaj takes over as CII vice president for 2020-21. He is the chairman and managing director of Bajaj Finserv Limited.
8. Who has been named as the new chairman of British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) _______ Krishnendu Majumdar.
➢ He is the first person of colour to be named as the chairperson of BAFTA in its 73 year-long histories of BAFTA.
➢ He will replace Pippa Harris. Harris will now continue as deputy chairperson
9. Who has been appointed as the Chairman & Managing Director of National Fertilizers Limited (NFL) ________ Virendra Nath Datt.
➢ National Fertilizers Limited (NFL) is a state-owned Miniratna (Cat-1) company and producer of chemical fertilizers, organic fertilizers and industrial chemicals. Prior to joining NFL, he was Executive Director in GAIL (India) Limited.
➢ He also had a 10-year stint with ONGC before joining GAIL in 1995
10. Who has been appointed as the senior advisor to the World Bank Executive Director ________ Rajeev Topno.
➢ He is the 1996 batch IAS officer who has served as a key aide to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
➢ Topno had joined the Prime Minister’s Office as a deputy secretary in 2009 when Manmohan Singh had just started his second term
11. Who has been appointed as the ambassador to the Permanent Mission for India (PMI) at the WTO in Geneva _______ Brajendra Navnit.
➢ Navnit, a 1999-batch officer of the Tamil Nadu cadre, will replace JS Deepak as the ambassador to the Permanent Mission for India (PMI) at the WTO in Geneva.
➢ The appointments come at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic has plunged the global economy into its worst recession since the Great Depression in 1930s and ravaged world trade.
➢ The WTO has already warned of a massive 13-32% contraction in global trade in 2020.
12. Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Adidas to join Indian star Batsman Rohit Sharma and sprinter Hima Das _______ Manushi Chhillar.
➢ Chhillar becomes Adidas’s forerunner in their mission to inspire women to embrace fitness and to create a beneficial social impact through sports.
➢ She supports the #HOMETEAMHERO challenge of Adidas to stay physically and mentally fit in the lockdown due to COVID-19 and use sports as a platform to inspire and encourage the women and children to take up sports.
13. Who has been appointed as the chairman of the rearranged Commodity derivatives advisory committee of SEBI _________Ashok Dalwani.
➢ The 17 members committee examines issues related to the contract design and new products in the segment and recommend the required risk management system and regulatory framework of commodity derivatives and governance of commodities derivatives exchange
14. Who has been appointed as the first ever brand ambassador of the IIFL Finance ________Rohit Sharma.
➢ IIFL finance is one of the leading Non-Banking Finance Companies of India which manages over Rs. 36,000 crore assets.
➢ Rohit managed the first campaign by IIFL Finance, IMG Reliance promoting and advertising the people on Safety guidelines and rules that must be followed in the COVID-19 situation.