CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
‘Swami Vivekananda Karmayogi Award’ Conferred upon Jadav Payeng
- Padma Shri Jadav Payeng, the Forest Man of India will be conferred with the prestigious Swami Vivekananda Karmayogi Award in New Delhi.
- The award is instituted by My Home India for his consistent efforts in creating a real man-made forest through massive reforestation
Captain Amarinder Singh honoured with ‘ideal’ CM award
- The Bhartiya Chhatra Sansad (BCS) conferred ‘Adarsh Mukhya Mantri Puraskar’ (Ideal Chief Minister Award) upon Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh for his “path breaking initiatives to ensure good governance and holistic development in the state”
Sarbananda Sonowal receives Dr Syama Prasad Mukherjee Award 2020 for Politics
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal was presented the prestigious Dr Syama Prasad Mukherjee award 2020 for Politics at the 6th India Ideas Conclave.
- The award was presented at Tent City Narmada in Gujarat
70th Berlin International Film Festival
- The 70th edition of Berlin International Film Festival( Berlinale) 2020 was held in Berlin, Germany.The Opening film of the festival was ‘My Salinger Year’ and the Closing film was ‘There Is No Evil’.Jury President is Jeremy Irons
Assam environmental activist Jadav Payeng named for Commonwealth Award
- Assam’s environmental activist Jadav Payeng has been named as the 128th Commonwealth Points of Light Award winner.Called the “Forest Man of India”, he will be felicitated by the British Deputy High Commission at a programme in Guwahati on March 11.
- The award is in recognition of his outstanding services to environmental conservation, it was learnt. He was also conferred with the Karmayogi Award for 2020 in New Delhi.
PM Modi will be treated with highest honour during Bangladesh visit
- Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen has stated that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be treated with the highest honour during his forthcoming visit to Bangladesh to attend the Mujib Centenary Celebrations.
Farrell, McNamara first female duo to win top architecture prize
- Irish architects Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara have been awarded the 2020 Pritzker Architecture Prize for consistent service to humanity as evidenced by a body of built work” and for leading the way for women in a male-dominated profession.
President Kovind confers 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi awards
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi’s awards on 15 artistes at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The awardees include Anoop Kumar Manzukhi Gopi from Kerala, David Malakar from West Bengal, Hari Ram Kumbhawat from Rajasthan, Devendra Kumar Khare from Gujarat, Dinesh Pandya from Maharashtra, Mohan Kumar from Karnataka and Yashwant Singh from Delhi.
Indira Gandhi and Amrit Kaur got place in ‘100 Influential Women of the Century’ of the Times Magazine
- Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and freedom fighter Amrit Kaur have been included in the list of 100 influential women of the last century by Time magazine. Time magazine released a list titled ‘Spotlights Influential Women Who Were Often Overshadowed’.
- Time magazine has published Amrit Kaur and Indira Gandhi as Woman of the Year for the years 1947 and 1976 respectively in a special edition of the magazine.
Sindhu wins TOISA Sportsperson of Year award
- World champion shuttler PV Sindhu was named Sportsperson of the Year . star batsman Rohit Sharma was named the cricketer of the year at the fourth Times of India Sports Awards (TOISA) 2019 in New Delhi.
- Former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia was given the Lifetime Achievement award, while hockey legend and three-time Olympic gold medallist Balbir Singh Sr was honoured with the Icon of the Century award.
- National badminton coach Pulella Gopichand won the Mentor of the Year award, while former shooter Jaspal Rana was recognized as the Coach of the Year.
- Chairman & President– Tom Pritzker
- Headquarters– Chicago, United States
- Presented every two years, the Commonwealth Awards shine a spotlight on the extraordinary contributions the arts, humanities, and sciences make to education, economic growth and vitality, and quality of life in communities across Massachusetts.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
19th World Productivity Congress to be held in Bangalore
- The 19th edition of World Productivity Congress (WPC) will be held on May 6 to May 8, 2020 at the Bangalore International Exhibition Centre,
- Theme of 19th Productivity Congress 2020: “Industry 4.0 – Innovation and Productivity”
Pune to host 108th Indian Science Congress in 2021
- Pune will host the 108th Indian Science Congress in January 2021, the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) has announced. The event, set to be held at Symbiosis International University’s Lavale campus, will be themed on ‘Science and Technology for Sustainable Development with Women Empowerment‘ and focus on economic growth, environmental protection and social inclusion of all communities using science and technology.
35th edition of AAHAR, Food and Hospitality fair, begins in New Delhi
- The 35th edition of AAHAR – the Food and Hospitality fair began in New Delhi.
- This five-day-long fair is being organized by India Trade Promotion Organisation, ITPO, with support of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Agriculture and Processed Food Products Development Authority and several apex industry associations
India Pharma & India Medical Device 2020 Conference to be held at Gandhinagar
- The Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, in association with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry- FICCI is organising India Pharma 2020 & India Medical Device 2020 Conference & Exhibition at Gandhi Nagar,
- Theme of the event is “India Pharma: Meeting Challenges of Affordable and Quality Healthcare and India Medical Device: Promoting Affordable responsible and Quality Medical Device for Universal Health Care”
Indian Army’s International Seminar Pragyan Conclave 2020
- PRAGYAN CONCLAVE 2020, a two-day Indian Army International Seminar being organised by Centre for Land Warfare Studies, commenced at New Delhi.
- The event brings together cross-domain national and international experts to deliberate on the complex subject of ‘Changing Characteristics of Land Warfare and its Impact on the Military’
Fourth Global Ayurveda Festival to be held at Kochi from May 16
- The Fourth Global Ayurveda Festival, GAF will be held at Kochi in Kerala from 16th to 20th May.
- The theme for the five-day event is Ayurveda Medical Tourism: Actualizing India’s credibility.
International Conference on Nano Science and Technology held in Kolkata
- ICONSAT (International Conference on Nano Science and Technology) is the series of biennial international conference held in India under the aegis of Nano Mission, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India that provides a global platform of interactions among eminent scientists to bring to fore the recent advances in the area of nanoscience and technology.
- The Nano Mission, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, has approved the organization of ICONSAT–2020 by the N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata for the year 2020
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Bengaluru continues to record highest number of digital transactions
- Bengaluru accounted for the highest number of digital transactions in India in 2019, followed by Chennai, Mumbai and Pune, while United Payments Interface (UPI) was the most preferred mode of payment, by online payment processor Worldline India.Bengaluru was the leading city in digital transactions in 2018 as well
Indian chess Grand Master Humpy ranked World No.2
- Women’s World Rapid Chess Champion and Indian chess Grand Master (GM) Koneru Humpy jumped to second spot leaving behind World Women’s Chess Champion Ju Wenjun in global chess body FIDE’s March month’s overall ranking. Humpy won the prestigious Cairns Cup last month
India has 3rd highest trade-related illicit financial flow globally
- India has the third highest trade-related illicit financial flow among 135 countries with 83.5 billion dollars (about Rs 6.08 lakh crore) or 3.05 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) escaping the government’s tax net, according to US-based think tank Global Financial Integrity (GFI).
UoH bags top score in QS World University Subject ranking
- The University of Hyderabad (UoH) has scored in 25 subjects and ranked in three in the QS World University Subject rankings for 2020.
- The three subjects in which UoH has secured high rankings are: Chemistry 301-350; Biological Sciences 451-500; and Physics & Astronomy 501-550.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Scientists discover biggest explosion in universe since Big Bang
- Astronomers have discovered the biggest explosion in the universe since the Big Bang, in a galaxy far away.An explosion five times bigger than any explosion known so far has been discovered in the Ophiuchus galaxy cluster 390 million light-years from Earth
New explosive detection device, developed by DRDO & IISc Bangalore, unveiled in Pune
- RaIDer-X, a new explosive detection device, was unveiled at the National Workshop on Explosive Detection (NWED-2020) in Pune . RaIDer-X has the capability to detect explosives from a stand-off distance. The data library can be built in the system to expand its capability to detect a number of explosives in pure form as well as with the contaminants.
- Bulk explosive in concealed condition can also be detected by the device. RaIDer-X has been co-developed by High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) Pune and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
India to have its first sky eye in geostationary orbit GISAT-1
- India will launch its first state of the art earth observation satellite Geo Imaging Satellite (GISAT-1) to be placed in geostationary orbit on March 5, stated the Indian Space Agency.
- The satellite will provide a real-time image of a large area of region of interest at frequent intervals. The GISAT-1 will also enable quick monitoring of natural disasters, episodic events and any short term events
IIT Madras team develops AI-powered drone to counter rogue drones
- Researchers at IIT Madras have developed an artificial intelligence (AI)-powered drone that can counter ‘Rogue Drones.’
- This system can help law enforcement agencies, security services and armed forces secure airspace over critical civilian and military installations from surveillance by rogue drones
Doctors use gene editing tool Crispr inside body for first time
- Scientists have used the gene editing tool Crispr-Cas9 inside a person’s body for the first time, a new development in efforts to operate on DNA to treat diseases.
- CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats) is a tool for locating and cutting DNA at a specific spot
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Parent organisation: Department of Space
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency of the Government of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- Motto: “Strength’s Origin is in Science”
- Founded: 1958
- Minister responsible: Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence
- Agency executive: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy, Chairman, DRDO
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Navy to buy 24 MH-60R multi-role helicopters from US
- New helicopters to replace Sea King 42/42A helicopters procured in the ’70
- Two days after signing a $3-billion defence deal related to the acquisition of Seahawk multi-role helicopters for the Indian Navy and Apache attack helicopters for the Army, the Indian Navy has announced that 24 MH-60R multi-role helicopters (MRH) will be procured under the Buy (Global) category through Foreign Military Sales. A contract for the MRH was signed on February 25
Tamil Nadu, UP to set up Defence industrial corridors
- The Minister of State for Defence, Shripad Naik has been decided to set up two Defence industrial corridors in the country, one in Uttar Pradesh and another in Tamil Nadu.
- Subsequently, five nodes for Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor – Chennai, Coimbatore, Hosur, Salem and Tiruchirapalli have been identified.
Juniper Cobra Missile Defense drill cancelled over coronavirus
- The 10th biannual Juniper Cobra exercise between the IDF and United States European Command (EUCOM) was suspended, as fears over coronavirus continue to rattle Israel and the world.
- The 10-day-long drill was scheduled to see more than 2,500 US troops participate in several different locations in Israel, Europe and the US.
Ministry of Defence
- Minister of Defence- Rajnath Singh
- Constituency- Lucknow,UP
- Minister of State for Defence-Shripad Naik
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
First Khelo India University Games concludes in Bhubaneswar; Panjab University, Chandigarh tops medals tally
- The Khelo India University Games concluded in Bhubaneswar, Odisha . Panjab University, Chandigarh took home the champions trophy-winning 46 medals including 17 gold, 19 silver, and 10 bronze.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University claimed the second position and Punjabi University, Patiala declared as the second runners up. Punjabi University, Patiala won 33 medals including 13 gold, 6 silver, and 14 bronze medals. A total of 113 universities took part in the games
Rafael Nadal wins Mexican Open title after beating Taylor Fritz
- World Number 2 Rafael Nadal captured his first title of the year, defeating unseeded Taylor Fritz in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, in the final of the ATP Mexico Open.
Novak Djokovic bests Stefanos Tsitsipas to lift fifth Dubai Championships title
- After saving match points to reach the final, top-ranked Novak Djokovic was scarcely troubled as he beat Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3, 6-4 to win the Dubai Championships for the fifth time
FIH rankings: Indian men’s hockey team climbs to fourth position
- The Indian men’s hockey team has climbed to the fourth position, their highest since the inception of the FIH world rankings in 2003, in the recently released chart. In the women’s list, India occupies the ninth spot. The Netherlands is at the top followed by Australia, Argentina, Germany and England
Tasnim Mir, Mansi Singh win bronze at Yonex Dutch Junior International
- Young Indian shuttlers Tasnim Mir and Mansi Singh won a bronze medal each in the girls’ singles Badminton event at the Yonex Dutch Junior International 2020 in Haarlem, Netherlands. It was the first time India won two bronze medals in girls’ singles at this BWF Junior International Grand Prix tournament
68th All India Police Athletic Championship kick starts in Haryana
- 68th All India Police Athletic Championship-2019 began at Bhanu in Panchkula District of Haryana . Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju declared the meet open at Basic Training Centre of ITBP Shafali Verma gains top spot in ICC women’s T20I rankings
- Shafali Verma, the teenage Indian batting sensation, has gained the top spot in the ICC women’s T20 International rankings, riding on her stellar run at the ongoing World Cup.
- She has become only the second India batter after Mithali Raj to top the women’s T20 International rankings
Kieron Pollard becomes first player to play 500 T20 matches
- West Indies skipper Kieron Pollard became the first player in the history of T20 cricket to feature in 500 matches when he took the field against Sri Lanka for the first T20I.
- Dwayne Bravo is second in the list and Chris Gayle is at the third spot in the list
Mumbai set to host IOC session in 2023
- Mumbai is set to host the 2023 International Olympic Committee’s session after the IOC Executive Board recommended the Indian city for the annual conference.
- The IOC Executive Board decided to put Mumbai’s candidature to a vote of the members
Coronavirus: Delhi shooting World Cup postponed, Olympic test event in Tokyo cancelled
- The upcoming combined shooting World Cup in New Delhi has been postponed, while an Olympic test event in Tokyo has been cancelled due to the global novel Coronavirus outbreak.
- The tournament, sanctioned by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), was to be held from March 15 to 25 in the capital’s Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range.
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Thomas Bach
- Honorary President: Jacques Rogge
- Director General: Christophe De Kepper
- Chairperson: Shashank Manohar
- CEO: Manu Sawhney
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Founded: 15 June 1909
- Membership: 104 members
International Hockey Federation
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Narinder Batra
- CEO: Thierry Weil
- Motto: FairPlay Friendship Forever
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former India hockey star and Olympic bronze medallist Balbir Singh Kullar passes away
- Former India hockey player Balbir Singh Kullar passed away.
- He was also a member of the Indian team that won the Asian Games gold in 1966 at Bangkok and the Olympic Bronze in 1968 in Mexico
Dronacharya awardee and former India athletics coach Joginder Singh Saini
- Veteran athletics coach and Dronacharya awardee Joginder Singh Saini passed away.
- Saini received the Dronacharya Award in 1997 for his contribution to Indian athletics
Bulandshahr BJP MLA Virendra Sirohi passes away
- Uttar Pradesh MLA from Bulandshahr Virendra Singh Sirohi passed away after a prolonged illness
Ex GE CEO Jack Welch passes away
- General Electric Co’s former chief executive officer Jack Welch passed away.
- In 1960, Welch joined GE as a chemical engineer for its plastics division in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
Veteran Telugu journalist Potturi Venkateswara Rao passes away
- Veteran journalist and former editor of Telugu daily Andhra Prabha, Potturi Venkateswara Rao, died at his residence in Hyderabad. He had been battling illness at a private hospital in Banjara Hills in the city.
- He had started his career as a journalist in 1957 at the Andhra Janatha Telugu newspaper.
Former UN chief Javier Pérez de Cuellar passes away
- Former UN chief and Peruvian Prime Minister Javier Pérez de Cuéllar passed away.
- He served in embassies across Europe and Latin America, and joined Peru’s delegation to the first UN General Assembly in 1946.
DMK general secretary K Anbazhagan passes away at 97
- K Anbazhagan, Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) General Secretary for 43 years, passed away at the age of 97.
- He breathed his last at Apollo Hospitals in Chennai, following a prolonged illness.