Banking & Financial Awareness
1. ‘Vikas Abhaya’ a loan scheme has been launched by ______Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB).
➢ The Regional Rural Bank has launched the scheme to provide some relief to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) borrowers whose business activities are disrupted on account of the COVID-19 pandemic in Dharwad.
➢ The loan will be for the existing MSME customers who have been regular as on February 29, a maximum loan of up to Rs 1 lakh will be provided and no collateral security is emphasized & is repayable within 36 months.
➢ It is an additional credit facility to the eligible existing MSME borrowers & helps them to assist over the current crisis and ensures the continuation of viable business activity.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) extended the regulatory benefits under the special liquidity facility for mutual funds (SLFMF) to ______ All banks.
➢ This decision has been taken on the lines of request made by banks to RBI.
➢ As we have notified earlier,on April 27, 2020, RBI has initiated a special liquidity facility of Rs 50,000 crore for MFs under which RBI will conduct repo operations of 90 days tenor at the fixed repo rate.
3. Which institutions has approved a USD 400 million multi-year financial support to help India enhance its coastal & marine resources _______World Bank.
➢ It will help protect coastal resources by focusing on the rehabilitation of coastal beaches and mangroves
➢ The 1st phase covers 8 coastal States and 3 coastal Union Territories, with USD 180 million in funding, for Enhancing Coastal and Ocean Resource Efficiency (ENCORE).
➢ The loan from the international bank for Reconstruction and Development(IBRD) has a final maturity of 14.5 years including a grace period of 5 years.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the license of which bank _______CKP Co-operative Bank Ltd.
➢ The order has come into effect after the working hours of 30 April, 2020 in order to save investors’ decision.
➢ The reason behind this is the financial position of the bank is highly unfavorable & there is no concrete revival plan or any proposal for merger with any other bank.
➢ In the sequence of cancellation of license and commencement of liquidation work, the process of payment of amount will be initiated to depositors of CKP bank Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC) Act, 1961.
5. Which Bank decided to launch ‘India SME Services Platform’, a digital platform to educate stakeholders in the small and medium enterprises(SME) ecosystem ______SIDBI.
➢ The platform will provide Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) information about starting operations, getting finance, credit enhancement and other support services
➢ Bring together all MSMEs, MSME ecosystem stakeholders, financiers, corporates, government, regulators, employees and associations in an interactive platform, where all will be at one place & one place for all kinds of initiatives.
6. The Singapore based DBS bank has trimmed the India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) forecast for FY 2020-2021 to _______1%.
➢ The general government (the Centre and States) deficit is likely to rise to 10-10.5% of GDP in FY21 vs around 6% of GDP earlier.
➢ Public debt level to rise from 70% of GDP to 75-80%.
7. Which entity has launched video KYC engagement platform for the banking and finance sector _______Ameyo.
➢ A customer engagement technology provider, Ameyo has launched video KYC engagement platform for the banking and finance sector.
➢ The newly launched platform will eliminate the businesses’ requirement of physical KYC in accordance with latest RBI guidelines issued in January 2020.
➢ It is expected to decrease the customer onboarding process from the present 5-7 days to less than 3 minutes.
8. Which bank has released a song titled #HumHaarNahiMaanenge to keep hopes up amidst the ongoing national lockdown and Covid-19 pandemic ______HDFC Bank.
➢ The lyrics of the song has been penned by Prasoon Joshi and music has been composed by AR Rahman.
➢ HDFC Bank has announced that it will contribute Rs 500 each time the song is shared via social media towards the PM-CARES Fund.
9. Which housing finance company has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IIT Delhi to develop washable and reusable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kits ________ PNB Housing Finance.
➢ By this MoU, the PNBHFL will support the Department of Textile and Fibre Engineering, IIT Delhi in fast-tracked R&D of high-quality PPE material.
➢ It is to contribute to the well-being of healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
1. Renowned personality Rishi Raj Kapoor passed away, he was a veteran _______Actor.
➢ Rishi Kapoor was the third generation actor, the second son of actor Raj Kapoor and a grandson of Prithviraj Kapoor.
➢ He recently announced his next project, a remake of Hollywood film The Intern, also featuring Deepika Padukone. Rishi had starred in more than 100 films.
➢ His autobiography Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor Uncensored… was published by HarperCollins and launched at “The Hindu Lit for Life 2017”.
2. Renowned personality Chuni Goswami, passed away, he was a famous ______Sportsperson.
➢ Former India football captain Subimal Goswami, commonly known by his nickname Chuni Goswami, passed away at the age of 82 in Kolkata.
➢ He was the captain of the 1962 Asian Games gold-medal winning team.
➢ Goswami played 50 matches for India as a footballer from 1956 to 1964. However, he quit international football in 1964, at the age of 27.
➢ Goswami was part of the Bengal’s triumphant Santosh Trophy squad thrice in 1955, 1958, and 1959.
➢ Goswami was successful in cricket as well, he represented Bengal in 46 first-class games between 1962 and 1973.
3. Renowned personality Bijay Mishra passed away, he was a famous ______Playwriter.
➢ Noted playwright, dramatist, scriptwriter and film director Bijay Mishra of Odisha passed away at the age of 83 due to age-related ailments in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
➢ Mishra began playwright from 1960 and his first play ‘Janani’ was staged in Annapurna Theatre, Cuttack, Odisha. He was also a mainstream script writer in Odia Cinema & TV Industry.
➢ He had written the script of the famous Odia film Jajabara (1975). It was his first film as a writer. He had also directed a film titled ‘Trimurty’ along with Akhyaya Mohanty and Hemanta Das.
4. Renowned personality Nissar Ahmed popularly known as K S Nissar Ahmed passed away, he was a popular _____ Poet and Kannada writer.
➢ He was the 73rd president of Kannada Sahitya Sammelana in the year 2007 held at Shivamogga.
➢ He received Rajyotsava in 1981, Padma Shri in 2008 and Pampa Award in 2017.
➢ He was awarded Doctorate in 2010 from the Kuvempu University.
➢ Nityotsava, Manasu Gandhi Bazaru, SanjeAidara Male and Manadondige Mathukathe are his notable works. He has translated many Shakespeare plays into Kannada.
5. Famous personality Dalit Ezhilmalai passed away recently, he was a veteran _______ Politician.
➢ He participated in the Indo-Pak War of 1971 as an army officer and received Sainik Sewa Medal for his meritorious service.
➢ He served in the Former Post & Telegraph Department of the Government of India Between 1963 and 1987 and deputed to the Army for five years.
➢ In 1989 The Pattali Makkal Katchi(PMK) was established and he joined the party and became the general secretary.
1. International Labours day or May Day is celebrated every year on which date _________1st May.
➢ It is also known as Workers day or May day.
➢ This day is observed to pay tribute to the contribution of workers across the world.
➢ It was only in the year 1891 when 1st May was announced formally to be observed as International Labour Day each year.
2. World Tuna Day is observed globally every year on ________2nd May.
➢ This day is established by the United Nations (UN) to raise awareness about the importance of tuna fish. It is observed for the first time in 2017.
➢ According to the UN, an outsized number of nations worldwide depend upon tuna for both food security and nutrition.
➢ At the same time, more than 96 countries have tuna fisheries, and their capacity is constantly growing.
➢ The World Tuna Day was officially proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) by adopting resolution 71/124 in December 2016.
3. World Press Freedom Day is observed globally every year on ________3rd May.
➢ It is also known as World Press Day.
➢ The day also pays tribute to journalists who have lost their lives.
➢ They risk their lives at times or may even have to face tough situations in order to bring the news from different corners of the world in front of the public.
➢ The theme of World Press Freedom Day 2020 is “Journalism without Fear or Favour”.
4. International Firefighters’ Day is observed globally every year on ______ 4th May.
➢ This day is celebrated since 1999, to recognise and honour the sacrifices that firefighters make to ensure that their communities and environment are as safe as possible.
➢ The day was instituted, after the deaths of five firefighters in tragic circumstances in a bushfire in Australia on 2 December 1998.
5. International Day of the Midwife is observed globally every year on ______5th May.
➢ This day is celebrated to recognise the work of midwives and raise awareness about the status of midwives for the essential care they provide to mothers and their newborns.
➢ The theme for 2020 International Day of the Midwife is Midwives with women: celebrate, demonstrate, mobilise, unite – our time is NOW!.
➢ The World Health Organization (WHO) has designed the year 2020 as ‘Year of Nurse and Midwife’ to commemorate the 200th birth anniversary of nursing pioneer Florence Nightingale.
6. World Hand Hygiene Day observed globally on _____5th May.
➢ The World Health Organization (WHO) has marked 5 May as World Hand Hygiene Day.
➢ This day is recognising the role clean and safe hands play in warding off many serious infections.
➢ It is also known as Hand Hygiene Day.
➢ The theme of the campaign is “SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands”.
7. World Asthma Day is observed every year on _______ 1st Tuesday of May.
➢ This year, World Asthma Day is observed on May 5, 2020.
➢ The day spread awareness about asthma disease and care around the world.
➢ Whilst the primary focus is supporting the person with asthma, support may also extend to family, friends and caregivers.
➢ The theme for 2020 is ‘Enough Asthma Deaths’.
➢ World Asthma Day is annually organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA).
8. The World Athletics Day is observed every year on _______ 7th May.
➢ The date is subject to adjustment, the date of World Athletics Day is decided by the IAAF, however, the month stays the same as May.
➢ The first World Athletics Day was observed in 1996.
➢ The basic objective of World Athletics Day is to boost the participation of youths in athletics.
1. Who has been named advisor to Google Pay India _______ Shikha Sharma.
➢ Google Pay is one of the leading apps on Unified Payments Payments Interface (UPI), battling with the likes of Amazon Pay, Paytm, etc.
➢ Sharma’s appointment could be a way forward for Google Pay India’s attempt at a card-based offering, which could be launched soon.
➢ Sharma quit ICICI Bank in 2008 to join Axis Bank. She steered Axis Bank till 2018 and transformed it into a major banking entity of the country. Sharma also serves in the board of IT major Tech Mahindra as an independent director.
2. Who has been appointed as the Secretary of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways ________ Giridhar Aramane.
➢ His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
➢ He has replaced Sanjeev Ranjan who has been appointed as secretary in the Ministry of Shipping.
➢ Giridhar Aramane is a 1988 batch IAS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre.
➢ Before assuming charge as Secretary to MoRTH, he was serving as Additional Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat.
3. Who has been appointed as the Secretary of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises _______ Arvind Kumar Sharma.
➢ His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
➢ Before assuming charge as Secretary to MSME Ministry, he was serving as Additional Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
➢ Arvind Kumar Sharma is a 1988 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre and has worked in the Government of Gujarat at various positions.
4. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Max Bupa Health Insurance ________ Krishnan Ramachandran.
➢ He will replace Ashish Mehrotra. Prior to this, he served as the CEO of Apollo Munich Health Insurance.
➢ He has over 23 years of experience in health insurance, healthcare and life sciences segments.
5. Who has been appointed as the US representative to World Bank’s lending arm International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) _______ Ashok Michael Pinto.
➢ He was nominated as US Alternate Executive Director of IBRD for a period of 2 years.
➢ He currently serves as Counsellor to the Under Secretary for International Affairs at the United States (US) Department of the Treasury.
➢ He has been nominated by the United States President, Donald Trump
6. Who has been appointed as the new director on Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) _______ Tarun Bajaj.
➢ His appointment is confirmed by the Government of India.
➢ He is a 1988 batch Indian Administration Service(IAS) officer.
➢ He will replace Atanu Chakraborty, who retired on April 30.
➢ Prior to taking over as Economic Affairs Secretary, Bajaj was the Additional Secretary in Prime Minister’s Office.
7. Who has been appointed as the chairperson of the Parliament’s public accounts committee (PAC) ______ Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury.
➢ He was appointed the chairman of the committee by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
➢ The PAC examines accounts showing the appropriation of sums granted by Parliament for the expenditure of the Government of India, the annual financial accounts of the Government and others.
➢ The PAC is the oldest Parliamentary Committee in which 15 members are elected from the Lok Sabha and 7 members from the Rajya Sabha are elected every year for the 22 member panel of PAC.