Important News – India
1. The central government has brought the Cauvery Water Management Authority(CWMA) under which ministry ______Jal Shakti Ministry.
➢ It was earlier under the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
➢ This decision is a formality of business allotment, which means that the authority must report to the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
➢ The move will have no impact on the independent nature of the functioning of the authority.
➢ Water management authorities of other rivers have also been brought under the ministry, which was earlier under the same ministry as CWMA.
2. Who chaired the task force on National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP) which submitted its Final Report to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman _______ Atanu Chakraborty.
➢ The task force has submitted its Final Report on NIP for FY 2019-25 projecting total infrastructure investment of Rs 111 lakh crore during a 5-year span of FY 2019-20 to FY 2024-25.
➢ The report highlighted policy deficits and challenges in India’s infrastructure sector and recommended reforms to scale up investment in the sector.
➢ For NIP projects, the Centre would invest 39% of the projected expenditure while states’ share would be 40%, followed by private sector with 21%.
3. According to Mercom India Research’s ‘India Solar Market Leaderboard 2020’ report what amount of solar energy generation capacity India has added during calendar year 2019 ________7.3 Giga Watt (GW).
➢ According to Mercom India Research’s ‘India Solar Market Leaderboard 2020’ report, India has installed 7.3 Giga Watt (GW) of solar power in Calendar Year(CY) 2019.
➢ India has total solar installations of approximately 35.7 GW by the end of December 2019.
➢ Mercom Communications India, a subsidiary of global clean energy communications and consulting firm Mercom Capital Group, has released its report 'India Solar Market Leaderboard 2020.
4. What is India’s rank in the 7th edition of ‘Open Budget Survey 2019’ conducted by International Budget Partnership (IBP) ________53rd.
➢ In the survey time New Zealand has been topped the list with a score of 87.
➢ The global average transparency score on this survey was 45.
➢ The survey ranked the countries in 5 different categories based on their scores.[0-20: scant, 21-40: minimal, 41- 60:limited, 61-80:substantial,81-100:extensive].
➢ It evaluates each nation’s 8 key budget documents of the Central or Federal Government, and assesses whether these are made public, in a timely manner, and provide comprehensive information.
5. Which institutions has initiated a programme on health and risk communication focusing on COVID-19 titled “Year of Awareness on Science & Health (YASH)” ________ National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC).
➢ Its aim is to convey authentic best practices to the general public to minimize the risk of transmission of virus at all levels, in the absence of vaccines and cure for COVID-19.
➢ This programme will provide scientific awareness and health preparedness to combat the pandemic scenario like COVID-19 outbreak which has posed concerns and challenges around the globe.
6. Which ‘Navaratna’ public sector company started the production of Coal for the first time ________ Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) India Private Limited.
➢ The coal allocated to the Neyveli Lignite Corporation India Limited (NLCIL) in 2016 with a capacity of 20 million tonne per annum from the Talabira II and III mines of Odisha will suffice the requirements of existing and future coal fired power plants.
➢ The NLC will generate competitive power in the future since the coal of grade G 12 and the stripping ratio of this mine is 1.09.
➢ NLCIL achieved Renewable Energy Generation capacity of 1404 MW comprising 1353 MW of Solar and 51 MW of Wind Power
7. National Board for Wild Life (NBWL) has permitted the use of 98.59 hectares of land for opencast coal mining project in which Wildlife Reserve __________ Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve in Assam.
➢ The coal mining project will be done by North-Easter Coal Field (NECF), a unit of Coal India Limited.
➢ While, the rest of the area may be used for underground coal mining.
➢ Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve that includes the Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary (also known as Jeypore Rainforest) consists of an 111.19 sq km area of rain forests and several reserve forests in Sivasagar, Dibrugarh and Tinsukia districts.
8. Who attended the Extraordinary Virtual G20 Digital Economy Ministers meeting was held to discuss the challenges posed by the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic _______ Ravi Shankar Prasad.
➢ The meeting was attended by Digital Ministers of G20 Members, invited countries and International Organizations.
➢ India was represented by Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & IT Ravi Shankar Prasad.
9. Name the webinar organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga and National Institute of Urban Affairs on theme “The future of River Management” _______ IDEAthon.
➢ Recently, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized an IDEAthon on “The Future of River Management’.
➢ The event aimed to explore how the Covid-19 crisis can shape river management strategies for the future.
➢ The IDEAthon sought to brainstorm the learnings from Covid-19 pandemic, the following lockdown and its impact on river management.
10. What is India’s rank in the in scientific publication in 2018 among the countries ________Third.
➢ The National Science and Technology Management Information (NSTMIS), Department of Science and Technology (DST), has conducted a survey on Research and Development (R&D) Statistics and Indicators 2019-20.
➢ The survey included more than 6800 S&T Institutions spread across varied sectors like central government, state governments, higher education, public sector industry, and private sector industry in the country.
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the virtual summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) for the first time since 2014, currently which country is the president of the grouping ________ Azerbaijan.
➢ Modi became the first full-time Indian prime minister to skip the NAM summit in 2016 and again in 2019.
➢ India was represented by the vice president in the last two summits in 2016 in Venezuela and 2019 in Azerbaijan.
➢ Manmohan Singh had participated at the Tehran NAM meet in 2012.
➢ Azerbaijan is the president of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) grouping till 2022 and the meet is being organised under the leadership of its president Ilham Aliyev.
12. India’s first “COVID-19 test bus” has been launched by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Alumni Council in which city of India _______Mumbai.
➢ The Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) Alumni Council launched a “COVID-19 test bus” in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ The COVID-19 Testing bus will reduce 80% of the testing cost without compromising on the testing capacity.
➢ According to the IIT alumni council, a global alumni body for all the 23 IITs this will increase the testing capacity within 100 days and support the health department in controlling the COVID-19 pandemic
13. Which IIT has partnered with Bharat Dynamics Ltd for development of affordable ventilators for Covid-19 treatment _________IIT Kanpur.
➢ Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur has joined hands with Bharat Dynamics Limited for the development of affordable ventilators for Covid-19 treatment.
➢ An MoU to this effect, has been signed between BDL, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kanpur’s incubator Foundation for Innovation and Research in Science and Technology and Nocca Robotics Private Limited(NRPL), an incubated start-up of IIT Kanpur.
14. Which of the following entity has launched virtual ‘Surakshit Dada-Dadi & Nana-Nani Abhiyan’ to ensure well being of senior citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic in association with Piramal Foundation ______NITI Aayog.
➢ The aim of the campaign is to create awareness about various aspects of senior citizens’ health and lifestyle including preventive measures and requisite behavioural changes in view of COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ It focus on behaviour change, access to services, early detection & tracking of COVID-19 symptoms
15. Which operation has been launched by the Indian Navy as a part of a national effort to repatriate Indian citizens from overseas ______ Operation Samudra Setu.
➢ The operation aims to evacuate personnel who repatriate Indian citizens from overseas.
➢ Under the operation, a total of 1000 persons are planned to be evacuated during the first trip, catering for COVIDrelated social distancing norms vis-a-vis the carrying capacity and medical facilities available onboard.
➢ This operation is done by the Ministries of Defence, External Affairs, Home Affairs, Health, and various other agencies of Central/State governments.
16. Which organization has launched ‘e-karyalay’ an electronic office application to enable the movement of files and documents without physical touch ________ CISF.
➢ It is designed by CISF in-house technical team for the usage of the 1.62 lakhs personnel & it resembles each and every function of traditional file movement.
➢ It has digital signature features to handle various securities related concerns and keep pace with existing standards.
➢ App’s ‘Dak’ or letters management section handles all sorts of communication between various levels of functional hierarchy & it enables to transfer the dak (snail mail) directly to the file noting.
17. Under whose chairmanship the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has set up a committee to frame standard professional indemnity policy for insurance intermediaries that can be issued by all the insurers _________ Yegnapriya Bharat.
➢ The panel has been asked to prepare a standard professional indemnity policy “which covers all the contingencies and conditions (retroactive date, indemnity limits, excess, etc) mentioned in the Regulations” that can be issued by all insurers.
➢ The development came after the regulator witnessed several instances where policies taken by insurance intermediaries did not comply with the regulatory provisions.
➢ It was constituted by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act – IRDA Act, 1999 as an autonomous & statutory body to regulate & promote insurance and reinsurance in the country.
Important News – State
1. According to an official statement which state tops among other states in providing employment under MGNREGS __________Chhattisgarh.
➢ According to an official statement Chhattisgarh is 1st state to provide employment to over 18(18.51) lakh unskilled labourers, followed by Rajasthan (2nd) to 10.79 lakh workers & Uttar Pradesh (3rd) to around 9.06 lakh workers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
➢ As per the data released by the Union Rural Development Ministry around 77.85 lakh people are engaged in different work under the scheme across the country.
2. Chak-Hao, the black rice of which state gets Geographical Indication (GI) tag _______Manipur.
➢ Chak-Hao- the Consortium of Producers of Chak-Hao (Black Rice), Manipur and was facilitated by the Department of Agriculture, Government of Manipur and the North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC).
➢ The black rice is glutinous rice cultivated in Manipur over centuries, is characterised by its special aroma& is consumed mainly after being cooked like rice or kheer.
➢ It has a deep black colour and when cooked, it usually turns purple. It’s dark purple colour is primarily a product of its anthocyanin content which is considered as boosting up the antioxidants level, apart from this it also has vitamins, minerals, fibre, proteins, among others.
3. Terracotta work of which place has been granted with the Geographical Indication(GI) tag ________Gorakhpur (UP).
➢ It is a centuries-old traditional art form, the work is done with bare hands including the ornamentation & natural color which stays fast for a long time. There are more than 1,000 varieties of terracotta work designed by the local craftsmen
➢ Some of the major products of craftsmanship include the Hauda elephants, Mahawatdar horse among others.
4. Kovilpatti kadalai mittai of which place has been granted with the Geographical Indication(GI) tag ________ Kovilpatti, Thoothukudi (Tamil Nadu).
➢ It is a peanut candy manufactured in Kovilpatti and adjacent towns and villages in Thoothukudi district, the southern part of Tamil Nadu.
➢ It is produced by using groundnuts and vellam (jaggery) and water from the river Thamirabarani which enhances the taste naturally.
➢ It is sold as single rectangular chunks, or rather cuboids, sealed in packets.
5. Saffron of which state has been granted with the Geographical Indication(GI) tag ________Kashmir Saffron.
➢ It is a spice grown in some regions of Kashmir, including Pulwama (saffron bowl of Kashmir), Budgam, Kishtwar and Srinagar.
➢ Iran is the largest producer of saffron and India is a close competitor.
➢ In India, GI registration is administered by the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 which came into force with effect from September 2003. Darjeeling Tea(2004) is the 1st indian product to get a GI tag.
6. Which state government has announced a free and cashless health insurance scheme to all its citizens ________Maharashtra.
➢ Under the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana, people in the state can avail of the benefits of free and cashless health insurance.
➢ Documents such as ration cards and domicile certificates are essential to apply for the scheme.
➢ At present, the scheme covers 85% of the population; but benefits are now extended to the remaining 15%.
7. Which state government has launched a mobile application ‘CMAPP (Comprehensive Monitoring of Agriculture, Price, and Procurement)’ to monitor the agriculture needs of the farmers in the state _______Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Andhra Pradesh government has launched the mobile application ‘CMAPP to monitor the agriculture needs of the farmers in the state.
➢ The mobile app showcases all data relating to the cost, procurement, and marketing facilities of the farmers for their agriculture produce.
8. Which state government announced to launch the "Nigah" Scheme to properly sensitize and educate family members of people coming from other states so that social distancing is effectively maintaine ________Himachal Pradesh.
➢ Under the scheme, a team of ASHA workers, health workers, and Anganwadi workers would visit the family members of persons arriving from other states.
➢ The will educate them about the importance of social distancing so that they could be saved from any possible infection.
➢ The state government also ordered to mark the people who have come from other states.
9. Which state government has launched the Ayush Kavach app that will provide health-related tips and information about ayurvedic medicines amid the COVID-19 pandemic ________Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Ayush Kavach mobile app will help people access prescriptions to strengthen their resistance through the ancient mode of Yoga and Ayurveda of India.
➢ The mobile app Ayush Kavach was developed by the Ayush Department of Uttar Pradesh in view of the COVID-19 health crisis.
10. Which state government has launched “Exit App” for stranded people of other states ______West Bengal.
➢ “Exit App” will enable these people who are willing to go back to their native states, by applying online on this app. The permission for the exit of these people would be granted in an automatic and extremely easy manner.
➢ The “Exit App” can be accessed by the stranded people from the West Bengal government’s ‘Egiye Bangla’ website.
➢ Hence, this initiative of the West Bengal government will help large number of people who are stuck, in their return to their native state.
11. Which state government has decided to starts the “Mukhya Mantri Shahari Rojgar Guarantee Yojna” ______Himachal Pradesh.
➢ In this Yojna, 120 days” assured employment will be provided to people living in urban areas. It is being launched to revive the coronavirus-hit economy of the state.
➢ Adequate training will be given to the people for their skill upgrade if required.
➢ The cabinet also decided to provide an assistance of Rs 2,000 to each of the 1 lakh workers registered under the Building and Other Construction Workers Board.
Important News – World
1. The geological survey of which country has released the first ever digital, unified, global, geological map of the moon namely “Unified Geologic Map of the Moon” _______USA.
➢ The scientists from United States Geological Survey (USGS) Astrogeology Science Center, in collaboration with NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) and the Lunar Planetary Institute have virtually released the first ever digital, unified, global, geological map of the moon namely “Unified Geologic Map of the Moon”.
➢ It will serve as a blueprint for future human missions and a source of research and analysis for the educators and the general public interested in lunar geology.
➢ It should be noted that the moon is the closest cosmic body to Earth
2. Which country will launch its first Arktika-M satellite for monitoring the Arctic climate and environment at the end of the year _________Russia.
➢ Russia will launch its first Arktika-M satellite for monitoring the Arctic climate and environment at the end of the year.
➢ Russia's Arktika-M remote-sensing and emergency communications satellites will gather meteorological data in the polar regions of the Earth, which will allow to improve weather forecasts and will enable scientists to better study climate change.
3. What amount of multi-year financial support has been approved by the World Bank for India ______ USD 400 million.
➢ It will help protect coastal resources by focusing on the rehabilitation of coastal beaches and mangroves
➢ The 1st phase covers 8 coastal States and 3 coastal Union Territories, with USD 180 million in funding, for Enhancing Coastal and Ocean Resource Efficiency (ENCORE).
➢ The loan from the international bank for Reconstruction and Development(IBRD) has a final maturity of 14.5 years including a grace period of 5 years.
4. Which Arabian country decided to change its currency from Rial to Toman by slashing four zeros from the rial _____Iran.
➢ Iran's parliament has passed a bill allowing the government to slash four zeros from the rial and authorizing its replacement with another basic unit of currency called the toman (redenomination).
➢ Under the bill, Iran's national currency will be changed from the rial to the Toman, which is equal to 10,000 rials.
➢ It is the process whereby a country's currency is revalued due to significant inflation and currency devaluation, or when a country adopts a new currency and needs to exchange the old currency for a new one at a fixed rate.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been conferred with “Order of Rising Sun- Gold and Silver Rays” by the Japan government for promoting a better understanding of Japan in India and deepening ties between 2 countries _______ Thangjam Dhabali Singh.
➢ The Japan Government conferred the decoration on Singh while announcing the names of the foreign recipients of the Spring Decoration 2020.
➢ He is the founder and the former president of the Manipur Tourism Forum (MTF).
➢ Singh organised the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Imphal of the Second World War and several Japanese citizens, including officials from the Embassy of Japan in India had participated in the event.
2. Who has been elected as an International Honorary Member to the American Academy of Arts and Science _______ Shobhana Narasimhan.
➢ Prof. Shobhana Narasimhan from the Theoretical Sciences Unit (TSU) at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), has been elected as an International Honorary Member to the American Academy of Arts and Science (AAAS).
➢ JNCASR is an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology.
➢ AAAS honors such scholars and leaders who have distinguished themselves in the sciences, arts, humanities, and public life.
3. Who becomes the first Indian to be nominated for the Fed Cup Heart Award from the Asia/Oceania zone ______Sania Mirza.
➢ Sania had recently made a comeback to Fed Cup after four years.
➢ With her 18-month son Izhaan present in the stands, Sania had helped India qualify for the Play-offs for the first time
➢ The winners of the Heart Awards will be determined by online voting by fans which will go live on May 1 and will go on until May 8.
4. Who has been honoured with a commemorative World War II medal to mark the 75th anniversary of victory over Nazi Germany by Russian President Vladimir Putin ________ Kim Jong Un.
➢ The medal was awarded to Kim for the role he played in safeguarding the memories of Soviet soldiers who died in the territory of North Korea.
➢ Russian ambassador in North Korea, Alexander Matsegora presented the award to North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Son-gwon.
1. Which sports organization has launched the campaign “#WeWillWin” to pay a special tribute to health workers and other professionals ________FIFA.
➢ Through this campaign FIFA tribute a special video to health workers and other professionals who ensure the society continues to function among COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ Former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia who is also featured among 50 past and present football stars.
2. The governing body of swimming the Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) has postponed the 2021 aquatics world championships to 2022. The tournament is scheduled to be held in which country _______Japan.
➢ Following the postponement of 2020 Tokyo Olympics to 2021 the governing body of swimming Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) has postponed the 2021 aquatics world championships, Fukuoka, Japan to May 12 to May 29 of 2022 due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ FINA had to move the championships because the 2021 slot of Jul 16 to Aug 1 clashed with the new date for the Tokyo Games, which were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Sandeep Kumari has been given a 4 year ban by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) after failing a drug test, she is associated with which sports _______ Discus throw.
➢ World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has banned Indian discus thrower Sandeep Kumari for 4 years after failing a drug test. National Dope Test Laboratory (NDTL) had failed to detect the banned substance “steroid” which was present in her blood sample.
➢ This blood sample is collected by NDTL officials during the Inter-State Championships in June 2018, in Guwahati, Assam where Kumari had won the gold with a throw of 58.41 meters in the competition.
➢ WADA referred Kumari’s results management to the AIU (Athletics Integrity Unit) which notified her of the charges & provisionally suspended her in November 2018.
4. Name the tennis player who awarded life time ban by the Tennis Integrity Unit following his conviction on multiple match fixing and associated corruption charges _______ Youssef Hossam.
➢ Egyptian Youssef Hossam has been banned from tennis for life after being found guilty of multiple match-fixing and other corruption offences.
➢ A Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) investigation found that the 21-year-old had committed 21 breaches of anticorruption rules between 2015 and 2019 and conspired with others to carry out a campaign of betting-related corruption at the lower levels of professional tennis.