IMPORTANT NEWS - INDIA
1. According to the annual National Crime Records Bureau report the maximum cases of mass/family suicides were reported from which state ______ Tamil Nadu.
➢ The cases of suicide and the number of accidental deaths registered an increase across the country last year compared to 2018, according to the annual National Crime Records Bureau report.
➢ The maximum cases of mass/family suicides were reported from Tamil Nadu (16), followed by Andhra Pradesh (14), Kerala (11) and Punjab (9) and Rajasthan (7).
2. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed a contract of what amount for supply of six Pinaka Regiments ______ Rs 2580 Cr.
➢ The contract has been signed for supply of six Pinaka Regiments to the Regiment of Artillery of the Indian Army and hence will enhance the operation preparedness of our Armed Forces.
➢ Induction of Six Pinaka Regiments which comprise 114 Launchers with Automated Gun Aiming & Positioning System (AGAPS); 45 Command Posts to be procured from M/s TPCL and M/s L&T and 330 Vehicles to be procured from M/s BEML, is planned to be completed by 2024.
3. Who will head the six-membered committee constituted by IRDAI on index-linked products following requests for permission from life insurers to introduce such products ______ Dinesh Pant.
➢ It will also examine the products earlier available in the market in terms of product structure, ease of customer understanding and administrative processes and any other matter of relevance.
➢ Current IRDAI product regulations do not specifically permit insurers to sell index-linked products.
4. As per the data released by the National Crime Records Bureau which city recorded the highest number of deaths due to dangerous driving and overall road accidents in 2019 among all cities ______ Delhi.
➢ According to the data, a total of 1,400 persons died in road accidents and 529 persons died because of driving dangerously or carelessly in Delhi followed by Jaipur in Rajasthan where 320 persons died and Asansol in West Bengal where 301 persons died due to reckless driving.
➢ Delhi recorded the highest number of deaths due to dangerous driving and overall road accidents in 2019 among all cities, the data shared by National Crime Records Bureau showed.
5. Union Power Minister R K Singh launched the GTAM initiative that will lead to an increase in the number of participants in the Renewable Energy Sector. What is full form of GTAM ______ Green Term Ahead Market.
➢ The move, that will lead to an increase in the participants in the renewable energy sector.
➢ The initiative will also help in achieving 175 GW renewable energy (RE) target of the country.
➢ It will lessen the burden on RE-rich states and incentivize them to develop RE capacity beyond their own RPO (Renewable Purchase Obligation).
6. What is India’s rank in the 13th edition of the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2020 jointly released by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD Business School ______ 48th.
➢ India ranks in the top 15 in indicators such as ICT (Information and Communication Technology) services exports, government online services, graduates in science and engineering, and R&D-intensive global companies.
➢ Switzerland, Sweden, the US, the UK and the Netherlands lead the innovation ranking, and the top 5 positions are dominated by high-income countries.
7. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India has decided to block how many mobile apps in view of the emergent nature of threats ______ 118.
➢ The step is expected to safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users and will also ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.
➢ 118 mobile apps have been blocked by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology by invoking it’s power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009.
8. Which renewable power company of India has been ranked as World’s Largest Solar Power Generation Asset Owner in terms of operating, under-construction and awarded projects by the Mercom Capital ______ Adani Green Energy Ltd.
➢ Mercom Capital Group is a clean energy communication consulting firm.
➢ AGEL’s under-construction and awarded capacity stands at 10.1 GigaWatts (GW) and its operational capacity is nearly 3 GW.
➢ AGEL’s renewable energy portfolio stands at 12.32 GW, which exceeds the total capacity installed by the entire US solar industry in 2019.
9. Which became the first Indian Dairy Company to enter Rabobank’s Annual listing of Global Dairy Top 20 Companies of 2020 ______ Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation.
➢ Amul was ranked 16th with an annual turnover of USD 5.5 billion (approximately Rs 40,240 Crores). Switzerland’s Nestle topped the list.
➢ Rabobank is a Dutch multinational banking and financial services company.
10. Who is the chairman of the steering committee constituted by central government for green initiatives in the coal sector ______ VK Saraswat.
➢ The objective behind this webinar was to discuss the road map for achieving the 100 million tonnes (MT) coal gasification target by 2030 with investments worth over Rs4 lakh crores.
➢ Notably, a Steering Committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of Dr. VK Saraswat for green initiatives in the coal sector.
11. With which organization the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Tribal Affairs, Ministry of Tribal Affairs organised a two-days long “National Tribal Research Conclave ______ Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA).
➢ The inaugural session of conclave was addressed by the Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda.
➢ The National Tribal Research Conclave was organised to review the progress on the results of projects launched by Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
➢ 10 research partners shared their projects in the 2-days long conclave.
12. The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of geology and mineral resources with its counter part of which country ______ Finland.
➢ The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved the MoU.
➢ The MoU facilitates cooperation in the field of geology, training, mineral prognostication and suitability analysis, Seismic and other Geophysical surveys
13. Which University has developed the ‘EnglishPro’ mobile app that was launched by the Union Minister of Education Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank ______ Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.
➢ The app is developed by the English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.
➢ The app will help learners develop Indian English Pronunciation in the unique “Indian” way.
➢ This app will be “a useful digital tool” and will act as an educational resource for the teachers, students and for people from varied backgrounds.
14. Name the mission approved by the Union Cabinet which is aimed at bringing post-recruitment reforms in the Civil Services ______ Mission Karmayogi.
➢ The objective of this mission is to prepare the Indian Civil Servant for the future with right attitude, skills & knowledge, aligned to the vision of New India by focusing on competency led capacity building.
IMPORTANT NEWS - STATE
1. Which state government has launched ‘Gandagi Bharat Chhodo’ campaign ______ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ During the campaign over 7 lakh, people took the oath to maintain cleanliness and eight lakh 70 thousand people were approached to make compost from wet waste.
➢ Four lakh 65 thousand masks were distributed with the help of citizens under the mask awareness campaign.
2. According to the J&K official languages Bill 2020, which one is not an official of Jammu and Kashmir union territories ______ Bhoti.
➢ The J&K official languages Bill 2020 will be introduced in Parliament in the upcoming Monsoon Session. This bill will include Dogri, Hindi and Kashmiri as officials languages of the Union Territory.
➢ Bhoti is spoken in ladakh region
3. Which state government has launched AMA SAHAR and SWACHHA SAHAR web app ______ Odisha.
➢ With the launching of web app, the urban local bodies (ULBs) will be able to submit utilisation certificate online which will bring better fiscal management.
4. Under Ek Bharat Shresht Bharat Programme, Goa is paired with which state ______ Jharkhand.
➢ Stalls of Jharkhand displayed delicacies from that state and Goans enjoyed savouring the same.
➢ Folk dances presented by Jharkhand artistes also were appreciated by Goan artistes.
➢ Later Goan artistes also visited Jharkhand and presented Goan folk dances.
5. Which state government has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with CSIR- Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT) to set up a Bulk Drug Park (BDP) ______ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The objective of the MoU is to develop a collaborative partnership between the State government and CSIR-IICT to establish Bulk Drug Pharma park in the State
➢ It seeks financial support from the Centre.
6. Which state government has launched ‘I Rakhwali’ app for Environment Protection ______ Punjab.
➢ With this new initiative, the state govt aims to safeguard the state forest area by making people a stakeholder in this process.
➢ The state govt came up with the concept of the app to encourage people to come forward and contribute to the protection of the environment.
7. Which is all set to create the Udyog Bandhu-like body for farmers to assist Farmer Producer organisations ______ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Uttar Pradesh (UP) is all set to create a dedicated body, on the lines of Udyog Bandhu, to assist enterprising farmer producer organisations (FPOs) in investing in projects for post-harvest infrastructure management and community farming assets with the help of the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund (AIF) that the Centre had announced in August.
IMPORTANT NEWS - WORLD
1. The publication of “Ease of Doing Business” report has stopped by which organization to probe data collection irregularities in the annual ranking of countries’ business and investment climates ______ World Bank.
➢ According to World Bank “A number of irregularities have been reported regarding changes to the data in the Doing Business 2018 and Doing Business 2020 reports, published in October 2017 and 2019”.
➢ World Bank would conduct a systematic review of data changes in the last five Doing Business reports, and independent auditors will probe data collection and review processes.
2. Which country is providing an Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan of an amount of approx. Rs. 3,500 crores to India to fight COVID-19 ______ Japan.
➢ Japan has committed the loan for the COVID-19 Crisis Emergency Response Support in order to fight the COVID-19 crisis.
➢ The ODA loan will support India’s efforts in its fight against COVID-19. It will also assist the country to prepare the health system to handle future epidemics. It will also increase the resilience of India’s health systems against infectious diseases.
3. Which country has launched Agriota, a new technology-driven agri-commodity trading and sourcing e-market platform that will bridge the gap between millions of rural farmers in India and the food industry of that country ______ UAE.
➢ It has been launched by Dubai’s free-zone Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC) and the government of Dubai’s authority on commodities trade and enterprise.
➢ This initiative will enable Indian farmers to connect directly, bypassing intermediaries, with the entire food industry in the UAE, including food processing companies, traders and wholesalers.
4. Which becomes the first African country to eliminate sleeping sickness ______ Togo.
➢ Togo has not reported any cases in the past 10 years.
➢ There are two forms of sleeping sickness. The first, due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, is found in 24 countries in west and central Africa and accounts for more than 98% of cases.
➢ The second form, due to Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense, is found in 13 countries in eastern and southern Africa and represents the rest of cases.
5. Which three countries have to launch a trilateral Supply Chain Resilience Initiative (SCRI) in the Indo-Pacific region ______ India-Australia-Japan.
➢ The initiative will help in building a resilient supply chain with focus on free, transparent trade & investment environment in the region.
➢ Proposed by Japan and to reduce the dependency on China.
6. Google has partnered with which country to bring the flood warning services to the country ______ Bangladesh.
➢ Announcing this on its official blog Google said that it currently covers more than 40 million people in Bangladesh and it is working to expand its coverage to the whole of the country.
➢ More than 65 per cent of people who receive advance flood warnings take action to protect themselves and their assets.
➢ The company is also partnering with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to build to deliver a l e r t s to people who don’t have smart phones to receive the alerts directly.
7. Which country chaired the 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific (APRC 35) held virtually ______ Bhutan.
➢ The Conference was held under the Chair of the Host Country, Bhutan. The Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Parshottam Rupala represented India in the conference.
➢ The conference focused on regional priorities and issues such as COVID 19, the state of agriculture, natural resources management, food security and nutrition.
8. Social Media platform Whatsapp has partnered with which of the following foundation to create awareness on cyber safety among students ______ CyberPeace Foundation.
➢ The facebook-owned messaging platform noted in a press release that “this is an effort to build on their earlier partnership with WhatsApp under the “e-Raksha” program that reached thousands of students.
➢ With the collaboration, the platforms aim to reach nearly 15,000 students across five states including Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Maharashtra by the end of 2020.
9. Which International organization has launched a new publication, “The Little Book of Green Nudges” for university students ______ UNEP.
➢ The books aimed to inspire up to 200 million students around the globe to adopt environmentally friendly habits and greener lifestyles.
➢ The book is UNEP’s first on behavioural science and nudge theory, which focuses on human actions and how to change them, and was drafted with The Behavioural Insights Team and GRID-Arendal.
HONOR & AWARDS
1. Who becomes the first Divyanga sportsperson of the country to get the prestigious Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award 2020 ______ Satyendra Singh Lohia.
➢ He is also the first Asian Divyanga swimmer to cross the 42-kilometer Catalina Channel in the US in just 11 hours 34 minutes.
➢ Para-swimmer Satyendra Singh was also conferred with the Best Sportsperson National Award by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu on World Divyanga Day.
2. Which Indian International Airport has won the ‘National Energy Leader’ and ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ awards at the 21st National Awards for ‘Excellence in Energy Management’ ______ Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad.
➢ It was organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Godrej Green Business Centre (GBC).
➢ The award was given during the 19th edition of ‘Energy Efficiency Summit’, Virtual Conference and Exposition on Energy Efficiency held from August 6-28, 2020.
3. Which Maharatna Public Sector Undertakings has won the All India Management Association (AIMA) Chanakya (Business Simulation Game) National Management Games (NMG) 2020 ______ NTPC Limited.
➢ AIMA Chanakya National Management Games is an online Business Simulation Game which is conducted every year.
➢ The championship aims to ensure that executives participating in the event get the onboard experience about the complexities of running an organisation and gain expertise and skills from this event.
➢ It also enables the Corporate Managers to face the thrill of Managing Business in a competitive mode.
1. Jayanti Behera who has been awarded with the Biju Patnaik sports award in Odisha is associated with which sports ______ Para-Athletic.
➢ Indian women’s hockey team defender Deep Grace Ekka and para-athlete Jayanti Behera received the Biju Patnaik sports award for outstanding performance.
➢ Both of them received a citation along with cash award of Rs 2 lakh each.
2. The Cycling Federation of India (CFI) is all set to host the first-ever Cycling Summit in ______ 2021.
➢ The Cycling Summit 2021 will consist of cyclists, athletes, fitness and sports enthusiasts, cycling coaches, health and nutrition experts, and influencers.
➢ There will also be indigenous and global brands that cater to the needs of health, fitness and cycling enthusiasts. The summit is estimated to attract around 25,000 people in each city.
3. Who becomes the first Indian to win a singles main draw match at a Grand Slam in the last 7 years ______ Sumit Nagal.
➢ He went into second round of the ongoing US Open Tennis by defeating Bradley Klahn of USA 6-1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in the first round of the US Open
➢ Prior to him, Somdev Devvarman is the last player to reach the second round of the Australian Open, French Open and US Open in 2013
➢ He will now face Austria's Dominic Thiem in the 2nd round.
4. Who has won the prestigious Annual World Open online chess tournament ______ P Iniyan.
➢ He scored 7.5 points out of a possible 9 with six victories and three draws to finish on top.
➢ The 48th edition of the annual event was held online from August 7-9.
5. Famous cricketer, Ian Bell announced his retirement from all forms of cricket, he held from which country ______ England.
➢ He made his debut in 2004. He played 118 Tests, 161 ODIs, and 8 T20Is for England. He retired from ODIs in 2015 to focus on Test cricket.
➢ He won five Ashes series out of seven. He was the Player of the Series in the 2013 series, where he scored 562 runs at an average of 62.44.
6. Who has won the Formula One Italian Grand Prix 2020 held at Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Italy ______ Pierre Gasly.
➢ This is his first Grand Prix win. Carlos Sainz Jr. (McLaren, Spain) came second followed by Lance Stroll (Racing Point, Canada) in third place.
➢ Lewis Hamilton ended at 7th place after he earned a 10-second stop and go penalty.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
1. First newspaper for kids ‘The Young Minds’ has been launched in which state ______ Assam.
➢ Specifically designed for kids the newspaper is the brainchild of Neelam Sethia and Neha Bajaj.
➢ The Young Minds, reportedly, will cater to kids of 4-14 years of age.
2. Who has authored the children’s picture book titled “The Big Thoughts of Little Luv” ______ Karan Johar.
➢ The book will be published by Juggernaut Books.
➢ The book narrates the story of the twins Luv and Kusha and features the challenges faced by the parents and the difference imposed between the boys and girls by the parents while raising them
3. Who has authored the book titled ‘The Commonwealth of Cricket: A Lifelong Love Affair with the Most Subtle and Sophisticated Game Known to Humankind‘ ______ Ramachandra Guha.
➢ The book portrays the entire arc of the game(cricket) in India, across all levels at which it is played and gives a glimpse of local heroes, provincial emblems and international stars.
➢ The book will be co-published by HarperCollins India and William Collins.
4. Who has authored the book titled “Let Us Dream” set to release in December 2020 ______ Pope Francis.
➢ The book will be an outcome of numerous exchanges between Pope Francis and his Biographer Austen Ivereigh in the weeks following the Coronavirus outbreak around the world.
➢ Austen Ivereigh is a Roman Catholic Journalist, Commentator, the author based out of Britain.
5. The book titled “Invertonomics: 8 ideas to transform India” has been authored by which of the following ______ Goonmeet Singh Chauhan.
➢ The book presents practical ideas and models to solve the 8 specific fundamental problems of India like, Social inequality, Air pollution, Cleanliness, Safer Cities, Women empowerment and rural economy deteriorating etc.
➢ It was published by published by HarperCollins India.
6. Who has authored the book titled ‘Breaking The Cocoon @40’ ______ Radha Nair.
➢ It is a delightful collection of select events from her life, which also holds a mirror to the time the incidents are set in.
➢ Acting on her brother’s suggestion, Radha decided to write about her experience of working as a dream merchant in the ad agency.
SCIENCE AND DEFENCE
1. What is the name of the remote-controlled medical trolley developed by the Indian Railway to help deliver food and medicines to COVID-19 patients ______ MEDBOT.
➢ During Corona crisis, apart from providing transport facilities and essential items like foodgrains to people, Indian Railways has also provided facilities for COVID-19 patients.
➢ It is providing service in the Central Hospital of the Diesel Rail Engine Factory of Indian Railways
2. Which organization has developed World’s Largest Solar Tree ______ Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur.
➢ The solar tree has the annual capacity to generate 12,000-14,000 units of Clean and Green Power while its installed capacity is above 11.5 kWp.
➢ The Solar Tree has been designed in such a way that it ensures maximum exposure of each Solar PV Panel to Sunlight.
➢ A single solar tree comprises of 35 Solar PV Panels each having a capacity of 330 wp each.
3. India along with which country scheduled to hold the bilateral naval exercise, Indra 2020, in the Andaman Sea, close to the strategic Strait of Malacca ______ Russia.
➢ Three Russian navy ships will take part in the exercise along with an equal number from the Indian Navy, along with some aircraft.
➢ This is also the first bilateral naval exercise since all such engagements were suspended due to COVID-19.
4. The students from which Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) have launched a free-of-cost mobile scanner application “AIR Scanner” ______ IIT Bombay.
➢ The app saves the scanned document in PDF format and stores directly in the device.
➢ The AI (Artificial Intelligence) based Reading Assistant and Document Scanner app is developed by Rohit Kumar Chaudhary and Kavin Agrawal.
5. Which institutions has launched a special decontamination device called ‘Chakr DeCoV’, to decontaminate N95 masks ______ IIT Delhi.
➢ The Chakr DeCoV device is designed in the shape of a cabinet.
➢ Chakr DeCoV is built with an innovative decontamination mechanism, which utilises the high penetrability of Ozone gas for cleaning the pores of the N95 mask, ensuring complete decontamination of its intricate layers.