CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Mother Language Day
- On 21st February, International Mother Language Day (IMLD) will be celebrated as a worldwide annual observance of UNESCO. MHRD will also observe Matribhasha Diwas on 21st Feb to highlight the linguistic diversity of our country.
- The central theme for International Mother Language Day 2020 is ‘Languages without borders’.
World Thinking Day
- On February 22, Girl Scouts and Girl Guides across 150 countries celebrate World Thinking Day.World Thinking Day 2020 celebrates the diversity, equity, and inclusion reflected in our global movement.
Central Excise Day celebrated on 24 February
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) celebrates Central Excise Day every year on February 24 all over the country. This occasion is dedicated to Central Excise Day and Salt Act, which was enacted on 24 February 1944.
National Science Day
- National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February each year to mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir C. V. Raman on 28 February 1928. The theme of the year 2020 is “Women in Science.”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurates New Institutional Campus at NIPHTR in Navi Mumbai
- Union Minister of Science & Technology, Health and Family Welfare and Earth Science Dr. Harsh Vardhan stated that public health should be a subject that needs thorough rejuvenation in India. Dr. Harsh Vardhan was inaugurating a New Institutional Campus at the National Institute of Public Health Training & Research (NIPHTR) at Navi Mumbai.
Over Rs 50,000 Cr released by centre to farmers under PM-KISAN scheme so far
- The PM-KISAN scheme launched on 24th February last year, is to provide income support to all landholding farmers’ families across the country and enable them to meet expenses related to agriculture as well as domestic needs. Under the Scheme, six thousand rupees per year is transferred in installments directly into the bank accounts of the farmers.
- Centre has released 50,850 crore rupees to farmers the scheme so far. As on the 20th of this month, 8.46 crores farmer families have been given the benefits.
PM Modi, US Prez Trump to jointly address Namaste Trump event at Motera stadium
- US President Donald Trump will arrive in Ahmedabad on a two-day visit to India. He will be accompanied by his wife Melania, daughter Ivanka, son-in-law Jared Kushner and top brass of his administration.
- In Ahmedabad, he will visit Sabarmati Ashram and take part in a roadshow with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The two leaders will jointly address over one lakh people at the Namaste Trump event at Motera cricket stadium.
Ministry of MSME launches national level awareness programme
- Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has launched a National Level Awareness Programme (NLAP) 2020 from February 17 to 28.
- The objective of the NLP is to spread awareness about schemes and activities undertaken by the Ministry and its attached organisations — Office of Development Commissioner (MSME), Khadi & Village Industries Commission, Coir Board, National Small Industries Corporation Limited, National Institute of MSME, MSME Technology Centres, and Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Rural Industrialisation.
Govt plans to construct 1,000 more urbanized clusters in rural areas, says Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar
- Union Minister for Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar has stated, after evaluating the success rate of Rurban Clusters scheme, government is intending to move ahead to construct 1,000 more urbanized clusters in rural areas.
Government amends provisions of Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 2016
- Government has amended provisions of Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 2016 to increase the number of firearms that can be kept by shooters and enhanced quantity of ammunition fixed for practice for the year
- As per the new rules, now international medalists and renowned shooters are allowed to keep additional weapons up to a total of twelve under the exempted category, which earlier was seven
Govt aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country: Dharmendra Pradhan
- Union Minister for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan has stated that the government aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country. Mr. Pradhan stated that the steel industry has an important role to play in making India a five trillion dollar economy
Union Minister inaugurates National Cyber Research Centre
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs G Kishan Reddy inaugurated National Cyber Research, Innovation and Capacity Building Centre at Central Detective Training Institute (CDTI) campus located at Ramanthapur in Hyderabad
MoS HRD Shri Sanjay Dhotre inaugurates the exhibition on clean air technologies at IIT Delhi
- The exhibition showcases clean air technologies developed by IIT Bombay, IIT Ropar, IIT (ISM) Dhanbad and IIT Delhi. The Government of India is making serious efforts to drastically reduce pollution levels in the country.
- Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development Shri Sanjay Dhotre inaugurated the exhibition organised by Centre of Excellence for Research on Clean Air technologies at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi .
Shri Nityanand Rai presides over the Valedictory Session of 1st ‘National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience (CDRR&R) – 2020’
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Nityanand Rai presided over the valedictory session of the 1st ‘National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience (CDRR&R) – 2020’, organised by the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), in New Delhi .
Govt soon to launch 3rd phase of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- The government will soon launch third phase of the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY). Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Mahendra Nath Pandey stated, the government has decided to link the scheme with the school education to bring a revolutionary change in the field of skill development.
CBSE releases an app to locate the Exam Centre
- The Central Board of Secondary Education has released Exam center locator app-CBSE ECL ,an android based mobile app giving information about the examination center for the convenience of the students.
CCEA approves National Mission for Technical Textiles with allocation of INR 1,480 crore
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the launch of the National Mission for Technical Textiles with a total allocation of ₹1,480 crore for a four-year period in line with the announcement made in Budget 2020-21 earlier this month.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman launches Ease 3.0 for tech-enabled banking
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched the Ease (Enhanced Access and Service Excellence) 3.0 reform agenda. EASE 3.0 agenda aims at providing smart, tech-enabled public sector banking for aspiring India. This launch of EASE 3.0 would change the customer’s experience at the Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
PM to launch 10,000 Farmer Producer Organizations; also to lay foundation stone for Bundelkhand Expressway
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch 10 thousand Farmer Producer Organizations, FPOs all over the country from Chitrakoot in Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will also lay the foundation stone for the Bundelkhand Expressway at Chitrakoot. The Uttar Pradesh Government is constructing the Expressway which will pass through the districts of Chitrakoot, Banda, Hamirpur and Jalaun.
NITI Aayog selects J&K for first pilot project among all States and UTs on Sustainable Developmental Goals
- NITI Aayog has selected Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir for first pilot project among all States and UTs on Sustainable Developmental Goals. It would get a chance to work with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Minister Arjun Munda launched Programme for Capacity Building of ST Representatives in LSG in Odisha
- The “Programme for Capacity Building of Scheduled Tribe Representatives in Local Self Governments” was launched by the Union Tribal Affairs Minister Shri Arjun Munda at Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Capacity Building initiative:The program included Technical sessions on topics such as Tribal Development Paradigms, Alienation of Tribal Land, Van DhanVikas Kendra and Innovation of Tribal Development.
Government Approves Rs 162 crore under ‘Operation Greens’ Scheme
- Centre has approved Rs 162 crore under ‘Operation Greens’ scheme that has an outlay of Rs 500 crore to stabilize the supply of ‘TOP’ crops i.e. tomato, onion and potato. This will ensure their availability throughout the year without price volatility.
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- Founded: 1962
- Chairperson: Anita Karwal, IAS
- Parent organisation: Ministry of Human Resource Development
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Objectives: Foster involvement and participation in the economic policy-making process by the State Governments of India
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Rajiv Kumar(economist), (Vice Chairperson)
- CEO : Amitabh Kant.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
FATF decides to retain Pakistan in ‘Grey List
- The global terror financing watchdog Financial Action Task Force (FATF) decided continuation of Pakistan in the ‘Grey List’ and warned the country that stern action will be taken if it fails to check the flow of money to terror groups. The decision was taken at the Financial Action Task Force’s plenary in
India, Sri Lanka sign MoU for up-gradation of infrastructure in plantation schools for estate workers of Indian origin
- India and Sri Lanka have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for up-gradation of infrastructure in plantation schools for estate workers of Indian origin. The project envisages up gradation of infrastructure of 9 plantation schools as identified by Sri Lanka under an Indian grant assistance of 30 crore rupees.
Language Martyrs’ Day ‘Amar Ekushey’ Observed in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh observed the Shaheed Dibash known as ‘Amar Ekushey’ across the country to pay tribute to the martyrs of language movement. The day is observed as Shaheed Dibash to commemorate the martyrs who were killed in firing by the Pakistani police on 21 February 1952 in Dhaka.
Egypt to host ‘India by the Nile’ fest in March
- The annual ‘India by the Nile’ festival in Egypt will be held this year from March 2-10, bringing with it a selection of classical and popular Indian art forms to the cities of Cairo, Alexandria, Port Said and Fayoum
Bangladesh records sharp decline in Child malnutrition: UNICEF Survey
- The child malnutrition rate in Bangladesh has declined sharply over the last six years. The finding was reported in the Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS) 2019, jointly conducted by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) and UNICEF. The survey has also recorded an improvement in many other areas related to health and nutrition, Child protection, hygiene and sanitation.
India and US sign defence deals worth 3 billion dollars
- India and the United States finalized defence deals worth three billion dollars and signed three agreements, including in health and oil sectors.
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed on mental health between the health departments of both the two countries. Another MoU on the safety of medical products was signed between the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization with the US Food and Drug Administration.
Pranab Mukherjee to address Bangladesh Parliament on Mujib Centenary
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee will be invited to address the special session of Bangladesh Parliament, Jatiya Sangsad, on the occasion of the centenary year of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. Nepalese President Bidhya Devi Bhandari will also be invited to address the special session.
3,000 kilometre long power grid from Myanmar-Thailand to India: BIMSTEC
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is working on connecting about 3,000-kilometre long power grid from Myanmar-Thailand to India.
Sweden MP delegation visits the ECI
- A ten-member delegation of MPs, members of the Committee on the Constitution in Riksdag, the Parliament of Sweden, visited the Election Commission in New Delhi.
- The delegation met Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora and Election Commissioners Ashok Lavasa and Sushil Chandra .
President of Myanmar arrives on a 4-day state visit to India
- President of Myanmar U Win Myint arrived in New Delhi on a four day state visit to India. Mr. U Win Myint is accompanied by the First Lady Daw Cho Cho. He will hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Facebook cancels its annual F8 developers conference
- Facebook has cancelled its annual F8 developers conference, the biggest annual event for the US tech giant, over fears about the possible spread of the novel coronavirus.
- BIMSTEC is a regional grouping with seven countries from South and Southeast Asia including Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand , Nepal and Bhutan. It aims to promote regional cooperation for rapid economic development.
- The United Nations Children’s Fund is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Head: Henrietta H. Fore
- Founded: 11 December 1946
- The FATF is an inter-governmental body established in 1989 to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system.Headquarters: Paris, France
- Founded: July 1989
- President: Xiangmin Liu
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
US surpasses China to become India’s top trading partner
- The United States has surpassed China to become India’s top trading partner. According to the Commerce Ministry data, the bilateral trade between the US and India stood at nearly 88 billion dollars in 2018-19 fiscal. During the period, India’s trade with China was at 87.1 billion dollars
NABARD sanctions over Rs 400 cr to boost infrastructure in J&K
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned an amount of over 400 crore rupees to the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir during the current financial year for giving boost to the infrastructure in the rural areas.
Central Bank of India plans to exit housing finance subsidiary
- State-run Central Bank of India is looking to sell its entire 64.40 per cent stake in its housing finance subsidiary — Cent Bank Home Finance (CBHFL).The lender has floated a request for proposal (RFP) for appointing merchant bankers.
NPCI launches ‘UPI Chalega’ campaign for payment mode to gain currency
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is keen to further popularise its flagship Unified Payments Interface (UPI), which has clocked over 100 crore transactions per month. NPCI, along with payment service providers, has co-created an industry campaign ‘UPI Chalega’, to promote it as an easy, safe and instant mode of payment.
Bank of America expects RBI to build $550-billion forex reserves
- Bank of America (BofA) sees $550 billion as a comfortable foreign exchange (forex) reserve level for the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and believes that the central bank will continue to accumulate dollars at every opportunity, even at the cost of a weaker rupee.
Canara Bank ‘Insta-Demat’ facility
- Canara Bank Securities Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canara Bank, has launched a facility to open ‘Insta-Demat’ accounts online, in association with the National Securities Depositories Limited (NSDL).
RBI lifts ban on Bandhan Bank network expansion
- The Reserve Bank allowed Bandhan Bank to expand its branch network after considering the efforts made by the private lender to comply with the licensing conditions.
- The central bank in September 2018 had barred Bandhan Bank from expanding its network as the lender failed to reduce the promoters’ stake to 40 per cent from close to 82 per cent within the stipulated three-year time frame of commencing operations.
RBI announces 2 LTROs for three-year tenors worth Rs 250 bn in March
- The Reserve Bank announced two long-term repo operations (LTROs) for three-year tenors worth Rs 25,000 crore (Rs 250 billion) each to be conducted on March 2 and March 9.
- The reversal date of LTRO on March 2, 2020 is March 1, 2023 while for LTRO to be conducted on March 9, 2020, it will be March 7, 2023.
RBI directs banks to link all the new floating rate loans to medium enterprises with external benchmark
- The Reserve Bank has directed banks to link all the new floating rate loan to medium enterprises with external benchmark.
- In a circular, RBI stated that the direction will be effective from 1st April 2020. With respect to micro and small enterprises, floating rate loans are already linked with external benchmarks.
Finance Secretary launches Baroda Startup Banking in 15 cities
- Finance Secretary Rajiv Kumar inaugurated Baroda Startup Banking, an initiative aimed at making the bank a preferred banking partner for the start-up community and establishing connect with at least 2,000 start-ups over the next two years.The initiative was launched simultaneously across 15 cities in the country.
Government to stick to April 1 deadline for amalgamation of 10 PSBs
- The Modi Government intends to stick to the April 1 deadline for amalgamation of 10 public sector banks (PSBs) into four units. The government proposes amalgamation of Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India into Punjab National Bank, Syndicate Bank into Canara Bank, Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank into Union Bank of India and Allahabad Bank into Indian Bank. The boards of all the concerned banks have already given ‘in-principal’ approval to this process.
RBI asks banks to extend farm loans eligible for subvention only via KCCs
- The Reserve Bank of India has advised banks to ensure that all short term crop loans eligible for interest subvention and prompt repayment incentive benefit are extended only through the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) with effect from April 1, 2020.
- Further, the existing short term crop loans which are not extended through KCC will need to be converted to KCC loans by March 31, 2020.
GSTN launches new toll-free number for helpdesk
- The GSTN stated it has revamped GST helpdesk by introducing new features to improve taxpayers’ experience by making the system more robust and transparent.The GSTN has come up with a new GST help desk toll-free calling number ‘1800 103 4786’. The caller may call on this number on 365 days in a year from 9 am to 9 pm.
ADB raises $118 million from rupee-linked bonds
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has raised Rs 850 crore (USD 118 million) from a new issue of offshore Indian rupee-linked 10-year bonds. ADB’s India rupee bonds have been a “game-changer” for local currency operations.
IndiGo, HDFC Bank tie-up to launch co-branded credit card with Mastercard
- IndiGo airlines has partnered with HDFC Bank to launch its first travel credit card.Called ‘Ka-ching’, it is powered by Mastercard and comes in two variants – 6E Rewards and 6E Rewards XL – and also offers complimentary air tickets.
India GDP grew 4.7 per cent in Q3
- The Indian economy grew 7 per cent in the third quarter ended December 31, 2019, the National Statistics Office Core sector grows by 2.2% in January as power generation picks up.
Central bank of India
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Pallav Mohapatra
- Founded: 21 December 1911
- Central to You Since 1911
- Headquarters: Kolkata
- CEO: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
- Founded: 2001
- Chairperson: Anup Kumar Sinha
External Benchmark rate:
- External benchmark rate means the reference rate which includes: Reserve Bank of India policy Repo Rate. Government of India 3-Months and 6-Months Treasury Bill yields published by Financial Benchmarks India Private Ltd (FBIL) Any other benchmark market interest rate published by FBIL
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development is an Apex Development Financial Institution in India. The Bank has been entrusted with “matters concerning Policy Planning and Operations in the field of credit for Agriculture and other Economic activities in Rural areas in India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Agency executive: Harsh Kumar Bhanwala (Chairperson)
- Formation: July 12, 1982
- The National Payments Corporation of India is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 2008
- Non-Exe Chairman : Biswamohan Mahapatra
- MD & CEO :Dilip Asbe
- CEO: Lingam Venkat Prabhakar
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Ammembal Subba Rao Pai
- HQ- Mumbai
- MD and CEO-Aditya Puri
- Tagline- We understand your world.
- HQ- Gurugram
- MD and CEO- Rahul Bhatia
- The National Statistical Commission (NSC) of India is an autonomous body which formed in June 2005. The NSC is currently headed by Prof. Bimal K. Roy, who was appointed as Chairperson of the Commission on 15th July 2019 for a period of three years
- Formed :July 12 2006
- Headquarters: New Delhi