1. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of City Union Bank _____ N Kamakodi
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved the re-appointment of N Kamakodi as the Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of City Union Bank (CUB), a private sector bank for 3 years with effect from May 1.
➢ He joined CUB as Deputy General Manager (DGM) in 2003, elevated as General Manager in 2005, Executive Director in 2006 & as MD and CEO with effect from May 1, 2011.
2. Who has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the HSBC Bank _______ Noel Quinn.
➢ He served as the interim CEO of the bank since August 2019. He was the successor of John Flint.
➢ Noel joined HSBC in 1987 and has proven the outstanding candidate to take on a role permanently as CEO.
➢ Quinn will earn a base salary of 1.27 million pounds per annum.
3. Name the Indian who has been appointed as the one of its ambassadors for the “I am badminton” awareness campaign of BWF _______PV Sindhu.
➢ World Champion PV Sindhu, named as one of the ambassadors for Badminton World Federation’s (BWF’s) “I am badminton” awareness campaign to provide a platform for the players to express their love and respect for the sport.
➢ Five years since the Integrity unit of BWF was formed and the campaign is made to be the forefront of the governing body’s effort to communicate its approach and integrity.
4. Who has been appointed as the President of Geneva-based International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (IMMA) ________ Rakesh Sharma.
➢ IMMA represents the manufacturing industry of powered two-wheelers at the global level.
➢ He was the successor of Johannes Loman.
➢ Sharma was elected from its member organisation, the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
5. Who has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) ltd _______ Shiv Das Meena.
➢ The Additional Secretary of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA),Shiv Das Meena Government of India was appointed to hold the additional charge of Chairman and Managing Director of Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) ltd, for six month or till the appointment of a regular incumbent to the post, effect from 21st April 2020
➢ Shiv Das Meena – 1989 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu Cadre with over 30 years of experience in the public service is a Bachelor of Civil Engineer and completed his Master in International Studies from Japan.
6. Who has been appointed as the Chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board(PESB) ______Rajiv Kumar.
➢ The former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar was appointed as the Chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board(PESB) by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi for a period of three years in place of KapilDev Tripathi who took over as the Secretary to the President Ram NathKovind.
➢ Rajiv Kumar, IAS officer of 1984-batch of Jharkhand cadre, in September 2017 he took over as the Financial services secretary and initiated many reforms in the banking sectors and retired from the post in February 2020.
Important News – India
1. Who attended the 5th Annual Meeting of Board of Governors of New Development Bank (NDB) ________Nirmala Sitharaman.
➢ During the meeting FM commended the NDB’s efforts to establish itself as a credible Global Financial Institution & successfully delivered its mandate by adopting a sustainable and inclusive approach.
➢ Appreciated NDB’s effort to provide financial assistance of about USD 5 billion to Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
2. Which agency has been appointed as the implementing agency to handle the Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSU) Scheme Phase-II by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) _______ Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA).
➢ MNRE will timely review the maximum permissible VGF amount & will reduce if the cost difference comes down.
➢ In Case of the existing clause, the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) handled the scheme on behalf of the ministry.
➢ The CPSU Scheme Phase II aims to set up 12,000 MW grid-connected solar PV power projects under the government producers with the VGF support for self-use or by government entities either directly or through discoms
3. Who chaired the National Biofuel Coordination Committee (NBCC) meeting approved & allowed Food Corporation of India (FCI) to convert the available surplus rice to ethanol ________ Dharmendra Pradhan.
➢ Recently the government has also allowed sugar companies and distilleries to make hand sanitizers using ethanol.
➢ By using the surplus rice for ethanol, it will address about 750 million litres from the total capacity of 2 billion litres of grain-based distillery capacities lying idle
4. Who participated in G-20 Extraordinary Agriculture Ministers Meeting through video conference to address the issue of COVID-19 impacts on food security, safety and nutrition _______ Narendra Singh Tomar.
➢ The G-20 nations decided to have international cooperation in the face of COVID-19 pandemic;
➢ Agreed for food security, nutrition, share best practices and lessons learnt, promote research, responsible investments, innovations and reforms that will improve the sustainability and flexibility of agriculture and food systems.
5. Which becomes the 1st authorized study centre in the country to carry out the plasma research under trial in view of COVID 19 ________ Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (SVP) Institute of Medical Science and Research.
➢ The institute has identified the potential donors for the research and started collecting their plasma.
➢ It will carry out ICMR’s multicentric collaborative study for phase-2 open level randomised control trial to assess the safety and efficacy of convalescent plasma to limit COVID-19 associated complications in moderate disease.
6. Who chaired the committee formed by the central government that suggested a complete revamp of how states collect and compile data for state-level gross domestic product (GDP) and other estimates _______ Ravindra H Dholakia.
➢ The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) on June 30, 2018 formed a 13 member committee to review the methodology of estimation of sub-national accounts ( state & district), revise the base year for national accounts or GDP calculation & suggest recommendations.
➢ It is headed by Ravindra H Dholakia, a retired professor of IIM Ahmedabad.
➢ The Committee suggested that the goods and services tax (GST) to be used for estimating incomes and other statistics at the state level.
7. To invite e-learning content contributions Union Human Resource Development Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched which programme ________ VidyaDaan 2.0.
➢ The contribution can be made by individuals, teachers, educationists, subject experts, schools, government and non-government organisations etc after registering & nominating themselves.
➢ The program will soon be inviting contributions for Teacher Training material.
8. Defense Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated Mobile Virology Research and Diagnostics Laboratory (MVRDL) which is developed by _______DRDO.
➢ This mobile lab has the testing capacity of more than 1000 to 2000 samples daily.
➢ The Mobile Viral Research lab is the combination of a Bio-Safety Level (BSL)-3 and a BSL-2 lab essential to carry out activities.
➢ The Mobile lab was set up in a record time of 15 days which usually takes about 6 months
9. Which scheme has been launched by the PM Narendra Modi on the occasion of National Panchayati Raj Day on 24th of April 2020 ________ Swamitva Scheme.
➢ On the occasion an integrated e-Gram swaraj Portal & Mobile app for accelerating the pace of development in India’s villages was also launched.
➢ The Unified Portal is a new initiative of Ministry of Panchayati Raj which will provide the Gram Panchayats with a single interface to prepare and implement their Gram Panchayat Development Plan (GPDP)
➢ The scheme provides an integrated property validation solution for rural India.
10. Who will head the reconstituted 16-member National Shipping Board (NSB) _______Malini Shankar.
➢ The Ministry of Shipping has given its consent for the reconstitution of the 16-member National Shipping Board (NSB), the highest advisory body on matters related to Indian shipping and its development or other matters arising out of the Merchant Shipping Act, 1958.
➢ The reconstituted board will be headed by former Director General of Shipping Malini Shankar.
11. The premier multilateral air combat training Exercise Pitch Black 2020 has been cancelled which was to be conducted by the _______ Royal Australian Air Force.
➢ Exercise Pitch Black 2020 scheduled to be held from July 27 to August 14 2020.
➢ The next edition is scheduled in 2022.
➢ It is a biennial three week multinational large force employment exercise conducted primarily from RAAF Base Darwin and RAAF Base Tindal.
12. Which service has been declared as public utility service (PUS) for six months by Ministry of Labour and Employment _________Banking.
➢ It means the employees and officers of the banking sector are barred to do any strikes in the given period.
➢ This decision has been taken due to the adverse impact of COVID-19 on the economic activities.
➢ The notification for the same has been issued by the Department of Financial Services in the Ministry of Finance to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) stating about the order implemented by the Labour and Employment Ministry.
13. On the occasion of the World Book Day the Union Minister of Human Resource and Development(HRD), Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched __________ #MyBookMyFriendcampaign.
➢ The World Book Day is celebrated in the lockdown and he asked the students to read books of their interest and share about the book they are reading with him in the social media using #MyBookMyFriend.
➢ He mentioned that the campaign will run for the next seven days for the people to join the campaign.
14. 1st government (govt) hospital in India to successfully launch the Convalescent Plasma Therapy (CPT) treatment for the COVID-19 patients _________ The King George Medical University (KGMU).
➢ The 1st dose of CPT was administered to a 58-year old patient.
➢ It is an experimental procedure for COVID-19 patients, where plasma, a blood component, from a cured patient is transfused to a critically ill coronavirus patient as the blood of the recovered COVID-19 person has developed antibodies to fight the virus.
➢ The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has recently allowed states to start clinical trials of CPT.
Important News – State
1. Which becomes the 1st state with a software-based in-house facility of virtual courts ______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ As per an apex court directive to develop video conferencing system for hearing cases and also for maintaining social distancing, Allahabad High Court has developed a new software by which multiple court proceedings at the High Court and district courts across the state can be conducted through virtual courts within the court premises without any internet connectivity.
➢ With this facility, Uttar Pradesh has become the first state to have software-based in-house facility of virtual courts.
2. Which state government has launched ‘Chief Minister COVID-19 Yoddha Kalyan Yojana’ to benefit the Anganwadi workers and Assistants of the state _______Madhya Pradesh.
➢ Under the scheme, the state government will provide a special health insurance cover of Rs 50 lakhs.
➢ The benefit of this scheme will be given to the warriors under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY), which was launched by the central Government to cover only the field staff of health, police and other departments working day and night to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
3. Which state government has partnered with MedCords to provide online consultations and to deliver medicine to the people of the state ______Rajasthan.
➢ MedCord will provide the requirements of over 68 million people throughout Rajasthan through its integrated solution – Aayu and SehatSathi app.
➢ The aim of the startup is to provide access to quality healthcare in urban and rural India.
➢ MedCord is fully adopted in 7 districts of Rajasthan (Kota, Udaipur, Sri Ganganagar, Bikaner, Ajmer, Pali and Jaipur).
4. Which state government has launched “Assess Koro Na” app for door-to-door survey in COVID-19 containment zones _________Delhi.
➢ The first phase of the app-based assessment will be launched in South Delhi.
➢ Since there is a delay in collecting and analysing the data of a person in a physical form during the door-to-door survey.
➢ With this app, the data collected can be uploaded on the servers in real-time and immediate analysis.
5. Which state government has approved the 3rd edition of his government’s ‘Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan’ (SSJA) ______Gujarat.
➢ The scheme will continue till June 10, 2020 with a focus on deepening of lakes, check dams and rivers by removing silt.
➢ It will be done with people’s participation as well as under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA).
➢ The scheme will create employment opportunities for the rural population amid the lockdown.
6. Which state government has started to use eSanjeevaniOPD through which free online medical consultation & general health advice will be provided to the people at their residence ______Himachal Pradesh
➢ It is a National Teleconsultation Service of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare & is the 1st of its kind online OPD (Out Patient Department) service.
➢ It aims to provide healthcare services to patients in their homes, which enables a safe & structured video-based clinical consultations between a doctor in a hospital and a patient at home.
7. Which state government has launched “Apthamitra” helpline toll free number and an application to empower the people to fight against coronavirus pandemic _______Karnataka.
➢ The Apthamithra helpline will provide service from 8 AM to 8 PM, with four helpline centers in Bangalore, one center in Mysore and one in Bantwal, Mangalore with a capacity of 300 seats.
➢ The helpline is to reach out to people in the corona hotspot areas and to identify the Influenza Like illness (ILI), Severe Acute Respiratory Infection (SERI) and the corona like symptoms.
8. Which state government has launched a special scheme called ‘Dhanwantari’, under which locally unavailable medicines will be delivered to patients at home _________Assam.
➢ The Assam state government’s health department has launched a special scheme called ‘Dhanwantari’, under which locally unavailable medicines will be delivered to patients at home. This medicine is free up to 200 rupees.
➢ If the required medicine is not available at a distance of 10 km from the house, the government will provide the medicine at home. This facility can be availed by calling 104.
9. Which state government has launched zero interest loan scheme for Women Self-Help Groups(SHGs) ________Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Each SHG will receive a sum ranging from Rs 20,000 to Rs 40,000 towards the interest component on their loans.
➢ The State will also distribute house-sites to over 27 lakh women on July 8 as the programme got postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
10. Which state government has launched Jeevan Shakti Yojana to enable women in urban areas to earn by making masks at home ________Madhya Pradesh.
➢ The government will pay them Rs 11 per mask.
➢ The CM interacted with some women of the state through video conferencing, who have registered to make masks.
11. Which state government has launched a unique initiative called ‘Umbare Aanganwadi under Integrated Child Development Services programme to reach out to children during the lockdown _______Gujarat.
➢ Under this initiative, the ICDS department of the state will mainly offer ready to eat nutritious food packets through AMUL to its beneficiaries including 14 lakh children between 3-6 years of age, pregnant and nursing women and adolescent girls through the network of around 53 thousand Aanganwadi.
12. Which state government has launched ‘Covid Pharma’ app to keep a track of people buying medicines over-the-counter (OTC) for cough, cold and fever from medical stores across the state ________ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The pharmacies in the State is expected to download the app and register the details of persons, including their mobile number.
➢ To monitor patients who experience any increase in cold & fever, which helps to trace easily the persons with any symptoms of coronavirus.
➢ It works as an additional precautionary measure for regular sample testing simultaneously
Important News – World
1. Annual Global Report on Food Crises titled “2020 Global Report on Food Crises-Joint Analysis for better decisions” by __________ United Nation’s World Food Programme (WFP).
➢ As per the report number of people from 50 countries in the food crisis rose by nearly 10% to 123 million people from 112 million in the 2019 edition.
➢ The reports also found another 183 million were at risk of slipping into a food crisis.
➢ The 10 countries faced worst food crisis in 2019 by number of people in Crisis are Yemen, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Nigeria and Haiti.
2. Which organization has launched the “Lockdown Learners” series of online dialogues with students and educators in India on COVID-19 & its impact on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), peace and the rule of law ______ UNODC.
➢ The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC) under its flagship Education for Justice Initiative launched the “Lockdown Learners” series of online dialogues with students and educators in India on COVID-19 & its impact on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), peace and the rule of law.
➢ The aim of this initiative is to make students aware of the vulnerable groups and emerging issues such as cybercrime, misinformation, gender-based violence, discrimination, and corruption, among others.
3. Which becomes the 1st Arab nation to legalise cannabis (also known as marijuana) farming for medicinal & industrial use ______Lebanon.
➢ This is to boost the exports & to beat the economic crisis created by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
➢ Lebanon faces the worst economic crisis due to lockdown since the 1975-1990 civil war.
➢ Earlier the Lebanon banned growing, selling and consuming cannabis
➢ As per the United Nations (UN), Lebanon is the 3rd largest supplier of cannabis resin in the world after Morocco and Afghanistan.
4. Which country hosted the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) health ministers virtual conference _______Pakistan.
➢ The meeting was chaired by Special Assistant to the Prime Minister of Pakistan on Health Services Dr Zafar Mirza and SAARC Secretary-General- Esala Ruwan Weerakoon also attended the virtual conference.
➢ During the virtual conference SAARC countries agreed to enhance cooperation in the health sector, particularly in the context of efforts to combat the virus at the regional level.
➢ India was represented by Rajiv Garg, the Director General of Health Services
5. To organize a virtual workshop “The Contract Management during Emergency situations” World Bank has tie up with _______ All India Management Association.
➢ The aim of the agreement is to create awareness about the likely impact of the coronavirus (COVID -19) pandemic on the implementation of the bank-funded projects.
➢ The workshop saw the discussion over the role of Dispute Resolution Boards and Arbitrators in case of the disagreement between the parties
➢ It was attended by Dr. Ajit Patwardhan, contract management expert, Director Planning and Coordination, JTFRP and other senior officers of JTFRP
Honor & Awards
1. Who won the William E. Colby Award 2020 for his book “Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster” _______ Adam Higginbotham.
➢ The Award was established in 1999 by William E. Colby Military Writers’ Symposium at Norwich University in Vermont to recognize the 1st work of fiction or nonfiction that has made a major contribution to the understanding of military history, intelligence operations, or international affairs
➢ It is presented by Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont, and sponsored in part by the Chicago-based Pritzker Military Foundation.
➢ It is named in honor of the late Central Intelligence Agency(CIA) director, William Egan Colby.
1. The 11th edition of World Games which has unveiled an updated logo and title after being delayed a year because of the Coronavirus pandemic scheduled to be held in ________ Birmingham, USA.
➢ The World Games 2021 Birmingham has been renamed to World Games 2022 Birmingham.
➢ The World Games was initially scheduled for July 2021, but it will now be held from July 7 to 17, 2022 to accommodate the one-year postponement of the 2020 Summer Olympics.
2. Mirabai Chanu and Jeremy Lalrinnunga have been qualified to participate in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, they are associated with which sports ________ Weightlifting.
➢ Jeremy placed 22nd in the 67kg category in the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) ranking list
➢ Mirabai ranked 4th in the 49kg category.
➢ In the video conference of Executive board of IWF on 17-18 March recommended that to close the qualification process since the five continental championships were cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic and the selections were made with the current world rankings.
3. Sana Mir announced her retirement from international cricket held, she held from which country _______Pakistan.
➢ Sana Mir, right handed batter made her debut in One Day International (ODI) against Sri Lanka in Karachi in December 2005 and her ODI in Lahore against Bangladesh in November 2019. In 120 ODIs she took 151 wickets.
➢ She made her Twenty20 International(T20I) debut in Dublin against Ireland in May 2009 and her last T20Is in Lahore against Bangladesh in October 2019. In 106 T20Is she took 89 wickets and scored 802 runs.
4. India lost the hosting rights of 2021 Men’s World Boxing Championships to which country ______Serbia.
➢ The Boxing Federation of India acknowledged the delay but blamed it on "procedural complications" arising out of the AIBA's failure to resolve "issues" with regards to the account in which the money was to be transferred.
➢ The payment of what is estimated to be $4 million was due to be made on December 2 last year.
5. Quadrennial 50-over Women Cricket World Cup 2021 to be held in which country for that India, New Zealand, Australia, England and South Africa have sealed a direct berth ________ New Zealand.
➢ ICC has announced that India, New Zealand, Australia, England and South Africa have sealed a direct berth for the quadrennial 50-over Women World Cup 2021 to be held in New Zealand. & scheduled from February 6 to March 7 in 2021.