Important News – India
1. Which organization has been managing the Indian Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020 on behalf of the GoI at Cannes ________FICCI.
➢ The e-inauguration of the Virtual India Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020 was done by Minister of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar.
➢ He also unveiled the booklet and poster of the 51st International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which is scheduled to take place from November 20 to 28, 2020 in Goa.
2. Which chartered accountancy firm has been appointed to audit PM Cares Fund __________ SARC & Associates.
➢ The appointment is significant because critics have questioned the rationale for a fund other than the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for relief work and have also sought more transparency about the usage of monies from the Fund.
3. Researchers at which IIT has created a chip named ‘Dhruva’ that can be mounted in smartphones and navigation devices to find places and routes within the country ________ IIT Bombay.
➢ The radio frequency receiver chip was designed in 18 months by students and researchers at IIT Bombay. It can receive in multiple frequency bands and handle weak signals.
➢ Besides, it can be converted into digital bits and processed by any standard digital signal processor (DSP) to determine one’s location precisely.
4. A Five-day Virtual Healthcare & Hygiene Expo was organized by which of the following industry bodies _________FICCI.
➢ The event is to create a self-reliant ecosystem in the Pharmaceuticals and Health & Hygiene Sector by ramping up domestic production.
➢ In our resolute fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, this sector has a greater significance.
5. For reducing the carbon dioxide emission caused due to transportation in the country, NITI Aayog will launch the project ‘Decarbonising Transport in India’ in collaboration with _________International Transport Forum (ITF).
➢ India’s Decarbonising Transport initiative is a part of the DTEE project. DTEE stands for Decarbonising Transport in Emerging Economies.
➢ DTEE is a project of ITF under which apart from India, currently Argentina, Morocco, and Azerbaijan are the participants.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA)’ via video conference from which district of Bihar ________ Khagaria.
➢ The outlay of this campaign is Rs 50,000 Crores and the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) is the nodal Ministry for its implementation.
➢ GKRA, the mission mode campaign of 125 days will cover 116 districts comprising more than 25,000 returnee migrant workers each across 6 states viz. Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha.
7. Which Maharatna company has entered into the partnership with NITI Aayog’s flagship initiative Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), to actively support the key innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives across India ________ Coal India Limited.
➢ The tie up will help the talented youth of our country to develop great innovations that have not developed or fallen short and thus enable them to have a AtmaNirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India).
➢ This will also create employment at the local level in the coming years
8. The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) India has partnered with which IIT to support state and national governments in achieving food and nutrition security __________ IIT Delhi.
➢ The overall objective of this partnership is to use advanced analytics and operations research to develop practical solutions that support long term strategic planning of procurement, storage, and movement of food grains by agencies such as the Food Corporation of India (FCI).
➢ It also focuses on to create cost-effective supply chain networks for distribution of food grains under the Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS) at the state level.
9. What is the budget outlay for the recently approved Animal Husbandry Infrastructure Development Fund (AHIDF) by the Union Cabinet _________15,000 crore.
➢ The aim of setting up AHIDF is to unlock private sector investments in the animal husbandry sector.
➢ Through the fund, Infrastructural developments will be promoted in dairy, animal feed, and meat processing plants.
➢ As per Government estimate, the fund will help in creating up to 35 lakh jobs across the country.
10. The Union Cabinet has approved the declaration of the Kushinagar Airport as an international airport, it is located in which state _______ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Khushinagar is a Buddhist pilgrimage town where Gautama Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana.
➢ The move will provide a much-needed boost to the tourism sector of the country in the post-COVID-19 world as International connectivity will increase number of foreign and as well as domestic tourists.
11. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved additional investment of USD 121.27 million by ONGC Videsh Ltd. in Shwe oil and gas project located in which country _________ Myanmar.
➢ OVL, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), had picked up a stake in the Shwe Project in Myanmar in 2002.
➢ The firm has invested USD 722 million in the project till March 31, 2019.
➢ The first gas from the Shwe Project was received in July 2013 and plateau production was reached in December 2014.
12. Who launched the scheme ‘Distressed Assets Fund- Sub- Ordinate Debt for MSMEs’ announced as part of AtmaNirbhar Bharat Package by GoI _________ Nitin Gadkari.
➢ The scheme is also called as Distressed Assets Fund- Sub- Ordinate Debt for MSMEs.
➢ This scheme was announced as a part of the AtmaNirbhar Bharat Package by Finance Minister.
13. As per the data released by the United States (US) Treasury Department what is India’s position as a holder of US government securities _________12th.
➢ Notably, the holding touched a record high of $177.5 billion in February, 2020 which was drastically reduced in March.
➢ The country with maximum exposure to US government securities is Japan at US$1.266 trillion followed by China and the United Kingdom (UK) at the second and third positions, respectively at the end of April 2020.
14. Which power company will acquire US-based The AES Corporation's 49 per cent equity stake in Odisha Power Generation Corporation ________ Adani Power Ltd.
➢ Adani Power Ltd (APL) has signed an agreement to acquire the 49% of stake (a total of 89,30,237 equity shares) in Odisha Power Generation Corporation (OPGC) from the affiliates of the US-based global energy company, AES Corporation(AES) for USD 135 million (around Rs 1,019 crore).
➢ The remaining 51% stake in OPGC is held by the Government of Odisha.
➢ The 49% stake includes the total issued, paid-up and subscribed equity share capital.
15. A behaviour change campaign named ‘Navigating the New Normal’ has been launched by NITI Aayog in partnership with which foundation _______ Melinda Gates Foundation.
➢ As the country is now in an Unlock phase, the aim is to develop an appropriate COVID safe behavior in the country, such as by making people adapt to wearing masks as a part of their daily routine.
➢ Until a vaccine is developed, it is essential for the citizens of the country to adopt certain behavioral changes in their day to day life by practicing hand hygiene, wearing masks, etc.
16. As per the Annual Tuberculosis Report 2020 released by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare what is the percentage rise in TB patient in 2019 ________14 per cent.
➢ It should be noted that the sustainable goal of eradicating TB globally is 2030, but the Indian government is committed to achieve this target in the country by 2025.
17. Which becomes the 1st airport in India to get an indigenously-developed Aviation Weather Monitoring System (AWMS) at both ends of the runway ________ Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru.
➢ The technology is developed by Bengaluru-based CSIR-National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL).
➢ The AWMS sensor has been installed on a 10 meters mast which is a 1st of its kind, designed by NAL.
18. According to the report, ‘Global Startup Ecosystem Report (GSER) 2020 released by the Startup Genome, Bangalore, which become the only city in the country to be included in the world’s top-30 startup ecosystem ranking _______ Bengaluru.
➢ Bengaluru become the only city in the country to be included in the world’s top-30 startup ecosystem ranking & placed 26th position.
➢ At the same time, the nation’s capital Delhi has been ranked 36th in the list.
19. Which two Indian Institutes secured their ranks in the top 100 in the “THE Young University Rankings 2020” released by the Times Higher Education ___________ IIT Ropar and IIT Indore.
➢ The Times Higher Education (THE) released THE Young University Rankings 2020 for the universities which are 50 years old or younger.
➢ The Indian Insttitute of Science Education and Research (Pune) and Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar ranked 101-150.
20. Which ministry is celebrating the “Sankalp Parva” from 28th June to 12 July 2020 __________ Ministry of Culture.
➢ This initiative has been launched following the call of Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi to plant at least five trees either in Office campus or wherever it is possible in order to ensure clean and healthy environment of the country.
➢ Under the “Sankalp Parva” celebrations, Ministry of Culture expects its Subordinate Offices, Academies, Attached Institutions as well as Affiliated Institutions to plant trees in its campus or at the surroundings wherever it is possible.
21. The Government of India has signed an agreement with World Bank to provide affordable housing to the urban poor of which state _________Tamil Nadu.
➢ The agreement signed has two projects under it- (i) Tamil Nadu Housing Sector Strengthening Program and (ii) Tamil Nadu Housing and Habitat Development Project.
➢ The loans for both the project are from the lending arm of the World Bank Group the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD).
22. Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel, Dharmendra Pradhan virtually inaugurated Battery Swapping Facility Quick Interchange Service (QIS) in which city of India __________Chandigarh.
➢ The battery swapping technology provides the best alternative to slow charging and enables drivers to optimize the use of the operational hours.
➢ The model was initiated to target the commercial segment like electric autos, rickshaws, electric 2W and the electric vehicle, which is factory fitted or retrofitted.
Important News – State
1. Which state government is going to launch Indira Rasoi Yojana for the poor __________Rajasthan.
➢ Under this scheme, pure and nutritious food on concessional rates is going to be provided to the needy twice each day.
➢ The State government will spend ₹100 crores every year on the scheme.
2. Which state government is to launch a job guarantee scheme to provide 100-day work guarantee to the unskilled workers living in the urban areas of the state ________ Jharkhand.
➢ The scheme aimed to enhance the livelihood security for the urban poor will be named Mukhyamantri SHRAMIK (Shahri Rozgar Manjuri For Kamgar).
➢ Ayyankali Urban Employment Guarantee Scheme (AUEGS) is the 100-day employment guarantee scheme of the Kerala Government for urban poor.
3. Which state government has signed an agreement with Reliance Jio TV to benefit around 52 lakh rural students during the COVID-19 pandemic ________ Haryana.
➢ The four channels of EDUSAT can be accessed through television, Laptop, desktop, tablets and smartphones for free of cost which will be available on the Jio platform.
➢ The contents aired on the television will be available on Jio TV for a week so that the students can access the content to their convenience and time.
4. Which state’s Panchayati Raj Department won the 1st prize under e-Panchayat Puraskar-2020 _________Himachal Pradesh.
➢ All the 3,226 panchayats of the state have been provided internet facility and people can access various services online.
➢ The various services such as family register, registration of birth, death and marriages are registered online in the panchayats.
5. Which state government has launched Mukhyamantri Matru Pushti Uphaar scheme to provide nutrition kits to pregnant and lactating women _________ Tripura.
➢ The scheme is a part of the state’s efforts to fight malnutrition and maternal mortality.
➢ The scheme was announced by state Minister for Social Welfare and Social Education Santana Chakma.
➢ The government expects to incur an expenses of about Rs 8 crore annually for this scheme.
6. What amount of financial support an eligible woman from Kapu Community will get will get annually under Kapu Nestham scheme launched by Andhra Pradesh Government _________ Rs 15,000.
➢ The objective of the scheme is to financially empower Kapu women by enhancing their livelihood and living standards with financial assistance.
➢ Women in the age group of 45-60 belonging to Kapu Community are benefited with this scheme.
➢ In a period of Five years an eligible woman will get a sum of Rs 75000.
7. Which state government will launch a campaign called ‘Kill Corona’ from 1st July 2020 under which door-to-door Survey will be conducted to control the spread of COVID-19 ________Madhya Pradesh.
➢ During the campaign, the highlight will be the number of tests conducted.
➢ The campaign will double the COVID-19 testing capacity from 4000 per 10 lakh people to 8000 per 10 lakh people in the state.
8. World’s Largest Plasma Therapy Trial under Project ‘Platina’ was launched in which state __________ Maharashtra.
➢ The name of the project is Platina.
➢ The project was virtually launched by the Chief Minister of Maharashtra Uddhav Thackeray.
9. The forest department of which state has developed India’s first lichen park __________Uttarakhand.
➢ Lichens are found in the Himalayas up to 5000 metres are important species as they are the best bioindicators of the pollution levels.
➢ Uttarakhand has more than 600 species of lichens followed by Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir with 503 and 386 species respectively.
10. Which state government has launched ‘At One Click’ Initiative for MSMEs & Other Bigger Industries __________ Gujarat.
➢ Through the initiative, the State Government looks to restore the former vibrancy of the state by motivating sectors such as MSME, traders, bigger industries, and businesses.
➢ The online initiative is to encourage these sectors for taking up the challenge that the COVID-19 crisis has bought and convert this into an opportunity.
Important News – World
1. Which country has decided to join the multilateral Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) ________China.
➢ China was one of the 23 countries back in 2013 when it abstained from the vote to adopt the treaty at the United Nations.
➢ The U.S. President has announced in April 2019 that the U.S. will never ratify the Arms Trade Treaty under his administration (the U.S has signed the treaty but was yet to ratify).
2. Which country has successfully launched the last Satellite of its BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) _________ China.
➢ The satellite was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch center in Sichuan Province.
➢ BDS is one of the four global navigation networks among the US’s GPS, Russia’s GLONASS and European Union’s Galileo.
3. Mt. Merapi an active volcano erupted twice in June, 2020 is in which country _________Indonesia.
➢ Merapi (Mountain of Fire) is the most active of Indonesia’s 130 active volcanoes.
➢ Indonesia is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire.
➢ It is a path along the Pacific Ocean characterized by active volcanoes and frequent earthquakes.
4. As a commemorations of the 6th International Yoga Day, world’s first Yoga University outside India was launched in which city of United State ________ Los Angeles.
➢ The university will be known by the name- Vivekananda Yoga University.
➢ The University was launched as a part of the commemorations for the 6th International Yoga Day.
➢ Chancellor of SVYASA- Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Dr. H R Nagendra will be the first Chairman of the Vivekananda Yoga University.
5. Which of the following countries remained in the FATF’s Grey List _________Pakistan.
➢ The decision has been taken as Pakistan has failed to check flow of money to terror groups like Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
➢ The decision was taken at the Financial Action Task Force's third and final plenary held virtually due to the COVID19 pandemic.
6. Name the African country that granted the Project Management Consultancy (PMC) contract for the development of a 500 MW solar park to NTPC Limited _________ Mali.
➢ In the event chaired by RK Singh, Minister of State for Power and President of International Solar Alliance (ISA), Sekou Kasse, Ambassador of Mali handed the award letter to Gurdeep Singh, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of NTPC.
➢ To support the electricity requirements of their citizens, the Republic of Mali has taken various initiatives with more focus on Solar power and its applications.
7. A Tripartite Power Purchase Agreement was signed for the construction of the 1124 MW Kohala Hydro Power Project between the Pakistan, China and Azad Kashmir. The Project is built on which river _________ Jhelum.
➢ The agreement was signed in between the Government of Pakistan, Chinese Company- China Three Gorges Corporation (State-owned company of Chinese Government), and Government of Azad Kashmir (PoK).
➢ The Hydropower project is located near the villages of Siran and Barsala in Muzaffarabad district of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir.
8. Which becomes the first country to control locusts through drones __________India.
➢ India is the first country to control locusts through drones. Under the Make in India initiative, the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers’ Welfare (DAC&FW), Agriculture Ministry has indigenously developed a vehicle-mounted Ultra-low volume (ULV) sprayer for locust control.
➢ Locust is a crop-threatening migratory pest that has entered the country through the India-Pakistan border.
9. According to latest study by OECD’s ‘Global Forum on transparency and exchange of information for tax purposes, which are top three countries as Exchange of Information partners of Switzerland ___________ India, France and Germany.
➢ India is getting detailed information on request, from Switzerland about bank accounts and beneficiary ownership of entities established by its residents.
➢ India is also rated as ‘largely compliant’ by this OECD’s review.
➢ It has also named Italy, Netherlands and Spain among other significant EOI partners for Switzerland.
10. What was the theme of the ‘36th ASEAN Summit held via video conference under chairmanship of Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc _________ Cohesive and Responsive ASEAN.
➢ The summit was chaired by Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc as Vietnam is ASEAN’s chair in 2020.
➢ The focus of the meet was on COVID-19 response, post-pandemic recovery and further cooperation with partners.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been selected for the 2020 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade ________ Amartya Kumar Sen.
➢ He will be presented with the award by German Publishers’ and Booksellers’ Association, Borsenverein in a ceremony that will take place on October 18, 2020, in Paulskirche (Germany).
➢ Every year since 1950, the German Book Trade Peace Prize has been given.
2. Name the Indian film actor and filmmaker named among the 50 ambassadors at 45th edition Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2020 __________ Priyanka Chopra and Anurag Kashyap.
➢ This year 45th edition Toronto International Film Festival is to be held virtually.
➢ The 45th edition of TIFF will take place from September 10-19.
➢ This is the 1st time TIFF will launch a digital platform for the festival, offering new opportunities to connect with audiences beyond Toronto.
3. Who has received the Humanitarian Award at 20th edition of annual BET Awards 2020, for her long-standing philanthropic work, including her recent COVID-19 relief efforts ___________ Beyonce.
➢ The American award show was established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network to celebrate African Americans and other minorities in music, acting, sports and other fields of entertainment over the past year.
4. Who has been conferred with Vithabai Narayangaokar lifetime achievement award by Maharashtra Government __________ Gulabbai Sangamnerkar.
➢ The Vithabai Narayangaokar lifetime achievement award is given to a senior tamasha (folk art) artiste.
➢ The honour conveys the money prize of Rs 5 lakh, a citation and a memento.
5. Who has been conferred with Annasaheb Kirloskar award by Maharshtra government ____________ Madhuvanti Dandekar.
➢ The Sangeetacharya Annasaheb Kirloskar musical theatre lifetime achievement award also carries the cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, a memento and a citation.
6. Who has been honoured with United Nations Awards for her efforts to fight the coronavirus pandemic in her state _________KK Shailaja.
➢ Shailaja was praised for maintaining low mortality rates within the state thanks to early intervention. Kerala, which recorded India’s first coronavirus cases, has been successful in flattening the curve.
1. Which football club has won the English Premier League 2019-20 ___________ Liverpool.
➢ This is the first time that Liverpool has won the English Premier League title.
➢ As of 26th June 2020, Liverpool by winning 28 of their 31 games in the season has accumulated 86 points.
2. Wicketkeeper-batswoman Rachel Priest of which country has announced her retirement from International Cricket ___________ New Zealand.
➢ She had a long career which spanned for 13 years.
➢ After her retirement, she has now signed up a contract with Cricket Tasmania to play in Australia Women’s National Cricket League and will represent Tasmanian Tigers for the 2020/21 season.
3. Name the Indian umpire who has been inducted into International Cricket Council’s Elite Panel of Umpires _________ Nitin Menon.
➢ Nitin Menon was earlier a part of the Emirates ICC International Panel of Umpires.
➢ He has an experience of officiating in three Tests, 24 One Day Internationals and 16 T20 Internationals.
4. Famous footballer Mario Gomez has announced his retirement from the sport. He played for which country __________Germany.
➢ He is considered as one of the best German forwards of his time.
➢ Mario Gomez played for different clubs in his soccer career. He won the Bundesliga title in 2007 while playing for Stuttgart, and two more titles while playing for Bayern Munich.
5. Which country will host the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 ________Australia and New Zealand.
➢ The joint offer put together by Football Federation Australia and New Zealand Football got 22 of the 35 substantial votes cast by the FIFA Council individuals in the first voting form, with the Colombian Football Association having acquired 13 votes.
6. Who has been declared as the greatest Indian Test batsman of all time, according to a poll conducted by Wisden India _________Rahul Dravid.
➢ Dravid beats Sachin Tendulkar by a narrow margin of votes in the final round of voting. Dravid got 52 per cent of the votes, with as many as 11,400 fans participating within the final round of voting.
7. Who has launched the National Anti-Doping Agency’s first mobile app named as “NADA App” _________ Kiren Rijiju.
➢ The recently launched mobile application aims to bridge the gap between NADA and the athletes by offering easily accessible information on various aspects of sport, prohibited substances as well as dope-testing.