Current Affairs: States
Rajasthan govt to give Rs 6,000 to women becoming mothers for second time
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot stated Rs 6,000 will be given to women becoming mothers for the second time under a new government scheme. He stated the beneficiary women will get the amount directly in their bank accounts in five phases.
Karnataka aims to become a $50-bn bio-economy by 2025
- Karnataka aims to become a $50-billion bio-economy by doubling the $22.6-billion sector in five years, stated the state government at the Bengaluru Tech Summit.
India International Cherry Blossom Festival in Shillong cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
- India International Cherry Blossom Festival, the calendar event of Meghalaya which attracts record number of tourists annually in Shillong, has been cancelled this year in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic. The capital, Shillong hosts the only Cherry Blossoms festival in India.
Odisha Assembly passes ‘Odisha Essential Services (Maintenance) Amendment Bill-2020’
- Odisha Essential Services (Maintenance) Amendment Bill-2020 was passed by the state assembly. The bill seeks to amend the existing Act of 1988 to prohibit strikes by employees of essential services in the state.
Country’s first moss garden comes up in Uttarakhand’s Nainital district
- The Uttarakhand forest department dedicated the newly-built Moss Garden to the people, claiming that it is the country’s first such garden, spread over 10 hectares in Kumaon’s Nainital district.
HP govt launches ‘Him Suraksha Abhiyan’ to sensitize people about Covid-19 pandemic
- In Himachal Pradesh, the state government launched ‘Him Suraksha Abhiyan’ to sensitize the people regarding Covid-19 pandemic and also to collect information regarding symptoms of diseases like TB, Leprosy, sugar and blood pressure by door to door campaign throughout the State.
Goa CM Pramod Sawant launches WhatsApp helpline for women in distress
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched a Whatsapp helpline for women in distress in the state here at Police Headquarters, Panaji. As an additional measure of safety for women in distress, an exclusive Whatsapp helpline number 7875756177 is launched.
First cow hospital of Northeast inaugurated in Assam’s Dibrugarh
- A cow shelter in Assam’s Dibrugarh inaugurated Northeast’s first-ever cow hospital, on the occasion of Gopashtami.
UP govt passes ordinance to ban unlawful religious conversions for marriage
- Uttar Pradesh government has passed an ordinance to ban unlawful religious conversions for marriage. Unlawful conversion for the sake of getting married through force, deceit, undue pressure or by way of alluring into marriage will come into category of non-bailable offence and can lead to imprisonment of a maximum of 10 years and penalty of 50 thousand rupees.
Bengaluru’s Bowring Medical College Named After Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- The Bowring and Lady Curzon Medical College and Research Institute in Bengaluru has been named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Ayodhya Airport to be renamed as Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram Airport, Yogi Adityanath govt decides
- Uttar Pradesh Cabinet led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has cleared the proposal to rename the Ayodhya airport as Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram Airport, Ayodhya.
Uttarakhand wildlife board clears proposal to de-notify elephant reserve
- The Uttarakhand State Wildlife Advisory Board approved the de-notification of Shivalik Elephant Reserve as an elephant reserve to pave way for the expansion of the Dehradun airport project, stated forest officials.
West Bengal govt accepts expert panel’s recommendation to reduce syllabus for classes 10th and 12th for 2020-21
- The West Bengal government has accepted the recommendations of an expert panel to reduce the curriculum at secondary and higher secondary levels due to the pandemic, Education Minister Partha Chatterjee stated.
UP Government Okays Ambitious Ganga Expressway Project Worth Rs. 36,402 Crore
- The Uttar Pradesh government has approved an ambitious 594-km Ganga Expressway project worth 36,402 crore running along the river from Hardwar to Allahabad.
Ladakh gets largest solar project at Leh IAF station
- The Union Territory of Ladakh has got the largest solar power project setup under the Centre’s ‘Make In India’ initiative at Leh IAF station to provide sustainable energy alternative to fossil fuel and traditional methods of energy generation.
LG Manoj Sinha releases Panchayat Newsletter “Parivartan” first ever publication in five official languages of J&K
- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has released Panchayat Newsletter “Parivartan“- a first ever publication in five official languages of J&K at Raj Bhavan, Jammu.
Haveri rly station renamed Mahadevappa Mailara Railway station
- The Karnataka government has issued a notification, renaming Haveri Railway station as Mahadevappa Mailara Railway Station. It has been a long-standing demand of the public and representatives from Haveri District to name the Haveri station after Mahadevappa Mailara, a freedom fighter from the district, South Western Railway stated.
PM Modi launches ‘Har Ghar Nal Yojna’, 3,000 villages in Uttar Pradesh to benefit
- Prime minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Har Ghar Nal Yojna’ (tap water to every household), for Sonbhadra and Mirzapur in Vindhya region of Uttar Pradesh via video conference, while chief minister Yogi Adityanath was present in Sonbhadra.
Assam proposes 6th national park in militancy ravaged forest
- The Assam government has proposed setting up a national park in a militancy ravaged reserve forest, which, if approved, would make it the state’s sixth national park.
Trifed of m/o tribal affairs and state of Goa to implement ‘Goatribal plan’
- TRIFED under Ministry of Tribal Affairs held a virtual meeting with Goa Administration to finalize the Goa Tribal Development Plan. The main agenda of the meeting was to finalise the Tribal Development Plan for the state of Goa for the establishment of 25 Van DhanVikas Kendras, 1 Tribal food park, 2 showrooms in North and South Goa.
India’s first IoT enabled Smart Trolleys at GMR Hyderabad International Airport
- GMR Hyderabad International Airport has gone digital by envisioning an airport platform using the Internet of Things (IoT). The GMR Hyderabad has deployed ‘IoT enabled smart baggage trolleys’, for the comfort of passengers. It will make it easier for the passengers to track and maintain the baggage trolleys in real-time across the airport.
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- Capital: Jaipur (Executive Branch)
- Chief minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
- Chief minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
- Capital: Shillong
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
- Chief minister: Conrad Sangma
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
- Capitals: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
- Capitals: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Capital: Panaji (Panjim)
- GovernorBhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
- Capitals: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamta Banerjee
- Lieutenant Governor, R K Mathur
- Capital: Leh, Kargil
- Minister of Tribal Affairs: Arjun Munda
- Constituency: Khunti, Jharkhand
Current Affairs: Apps and Portals
Govt blocks access to 43 mobile apps
- Government blocked access to 43 mobile apps. This action was taken based on the inputs regarding these apps for engaging in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity, defence, security of state and public order.
Abhayam’ app for safety of women passengers launched in A.P.
- Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘Abhayam’ mobile phone application which helps women and children travelling in taxis and auto-rickshaws, to raise alarm in case of any emergency.
Tamil Nadu CM launches ‘Thee’ app
- The app is for the general public to reach the Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services in cases of fires, floods, mishaps in wells, chemical or gas leaks and other accidents
- Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami launched ‘Thee’, a mobile phone-based application for the benefit of the general public to reach out to the Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services when in need.
Prakash Javadeker launches India Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- Minister of Environment,Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar launched the India Climate Change Knowledge Portal. The portal will have all the major steps the Government is taking at both national and international levels to address the climate change issues.
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
- Ravi Shankar Prasad, Cabinet Minister
- Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre, Minister of State
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
- Chief minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Capital(s): Visakhapatnam (executive), Amaravati (legislative),Kurnool (judicial)
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
- Prakash Javadekar, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency: Madhya Pradesh
- Babul Supriyo, Minister of State
Current Affairs: MOU
Eight MoUs announced during ongoing Bengaluru Tech Summit 2020
- During the ongoing Bengaluru Tech Summit, eight MoUs were announced with Finland, UK, Sweden, USA and Netherlands. Karnataka and Finland have decided to come together to work in the areas of Artificial Intelligence for public service in Agriculture, transport, health, safety, governance and service delivery.
FICCI FLO inks pact with IESC, IIM Shillong to mentor women entrepreneurs
- FLO, the women wing of the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), stated it has signed an agreement with Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Shillong and Incubation and Enterprise Support Centre (IESC) to mentor entrepreneurs.
Indian Oil signed MoU with MoPNG for upcoming CBG Plants
- Indian Oil signed MoU with MoPNG for upcoming CBG Plants – An MoU has been signed with the Ministry of Petroleum and gas by the Indian Oil R&D Centre has developed robust technology on Bio-methanation, Government of India as a technology provider for the upcoming CBG Plants.
NCRTC, BEL join hands to develop indigenous platform screen doors
- The National Capital Region Transport Corporation and the Bharat Electronics Limited inked a memorandum of understanding to develop indigenous platform screen doors, which act as a safety barrier between the passengers and tracks, under the self-reliant India scheme.
J&K Sports Council inks MOU with Cricketer Suresh Raina’s Cricket Academy to develop budding Cricketers in UT
- The Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council enters into MOU with Cricketer Suresh Raina’s Cricket Academy to develop budding Cricketers in the Union Territory.
HDFC Bank, ICCI join hands to support SMEs, start-ups
- ICCI will evaluate and recommend potential start-ups /SMEs /MSMEs for investments.ICCI (Inventivepreneur Chamber of Commerce and Industries), in its endeavour to support SMEs (small and medium enterprises) and start-ups, has signed an MoU with HDFC Bank.
India, Finland sign MoU in the field of Environment protection and biodiversity conservation
- India and Finland signed an MoU for developing cooperation between two countries in the field of Environment protection and biodiversity conservation.
Cabinet approves MoU between BRICS nations on sports and physical culture
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between BRICS countries on cooperation in the field of physical culture and sports.
Women empowerment: IESC, FLO sign MoU under the aegis of IIM Shillong
- The MoU is signed for the purpose of a mentorship programme for women entrepreneurs.
- Under this MoU contract, FLO will create an independent Entrepreneurial Ecosystem which will help to empower women and transform them to become job creators.
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Dharmendra Pradhan, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency: Madhya Pradesh
- Headquarters:Bengaluru, Karnataka
- M V Gowtama:(Chairman & MD)
- Capitals: Jammu (Winter), Srinagar (Summer)
- Governor: Manoj Sinha
Inventivepreneur Chamber of Commerce and Industries
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Dr Ritika Yadav: Chairperson
- Capital: Helsinki
- Prime minister: Sanna Marin
- Currency: Euro
- President: Sauli Niinistö
FLO & FICCI
- President of FLO: Jahnabi Phookan
- HQ of FICCI: New Delhi
- President of FICCCI: Sangita Reddy
Current Affairs: Acquisitions and Mergers
Bharti Airtel to acquire 5.2% stake in Avaada MHBuldhana for Rs.4.55 cr
- Bharti Airtel stated it will acquire 5.2 per cent stake in solar power company Avaada MHBuldhana for Rs.4.55 crore in an all-cash deal.
IBM To Acquire Solution Provider TruQua In SAP Channel Play
- IBM stated it plans to acquire TruQua Enterprises, a solution provider focused on the SAP ecosystem. With the acquisition of Chicago-based TruQua, IBM is getting a leader in SAP-based transformations in the financial, planning and analysis business, stated Bill Piotrowski, an IBM senior partner and the line leader of the company’s Americas enterprise application service business.
CCI Approves Acquisition by Reliance Retail Ventures of Retail of Future Group
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves acquisition by Reliance Retail Ventures Limited (“RRVL”), Reliance Retail and Fashion Lifestyle Limited (“RRVL WOS”) of the retail and wholesale undertaking and the logistics and warehousing undertaking of the Future Group under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- CEO: Gopal Vittal
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Arvind Krishna
- Headquarters: Armonk, New York, United States
Competition Commission of India
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Ashok Gupta, Chairman
- P K Singh , Secretary
Current Affairs: Appointments and Resignations
Oriental Insurance Chief SN Rajeswari appointed as a Member of IRDAI
- Oriental Insurance Company Limited’s (OICL) Chairperson & Managing Director SN Rajeswari has been appointed as Whole-Time Member (Distribution) of the insurance regulator Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
Francisco Sagasti Sworn-In As Peru’s Interim President
- Peruvian politician Francisco Sagasti has been sworn-in as the country’s interim President. The Congress of the Republic of Peru impeached the previous president Martin Vizcarra.
Indian-American Mala Adiga Appointed As Jill Biden’s Policy Director
- US President-elect Joe Biden appointed an Indian-American, Mala Adiga, the policy director of his wife Jill Biden, who will be the First Lady.
CAG to be external auditor of IPU, Geneva for 3 years
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India has been elected as the external auditor of Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Geneva for a three-year term. Girish Chandra Murmu, the 14th Comptroller and Auditor General of India will assume the charge from Supreme Audit Institution of Switzerland.
Achyuta Samanta elected President of Volleyball Federation of India
- Achyuta Samanta, MP Kandhamal and Founder, KIIT and KISS has been elected unopposed as the President of Volleyball Federation of India (VFI). He is the first person from Odisha to be elected for this highest and prestigious post.
OneWeb emerges from bankruptcy, announces new mgmt with Sunil Mittal as Exec Chairman
- OneWeb, the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) broadband satellite communications firm, also announced new management with telecom czar Sunil Mittal at the helm as Executive Chairman.
Vijay Kumar Sinha elected as Bihar Assembly Speaker
- Senior BJP leader and NDA nominee Vijay Kumar Sinha was elected as the new speaker of Bihar Assembly. Protem Speaker Jitan Ram Manjhi announced the election result of Assembly speaker.
New Zealand’s Greg Barclay elected as new chairman of International Cricket Council
- New Zealand’s Greg Barclay has been elected as the new independent chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC). Imran was interim chairman after Shashank Manohar stepped down from the post in July this year. Barclay is the second independent chairman of the world body, after Shashank Manohar of India.
Tata Chemicals appoints N. Chandrasekaran as chairman of board
- Chandrasekaran also chairs the boards of several group operating companies, including Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Power, and TCS.
Lt Gen Harpal Singh appointed new Engineer-in-Chief of Indian Army
- Lt Gen Harpal Singh has been appointed as the new Engineer-in-Chief of the Indian Army. He is presently the Director-General of Border Roads Organisation and would take over his new appointment on December 1.
Burkina Faso president Roch Marc Christian Kabore re-elected
- President Roch Marc Christian Kabore will serve another five years as Burkina Faso”s president, according to provisional results announced by the National Independent Electoral Commission.
Rajnish K Jenaw appointed as CMD, NSFDC
- Rajnish K Jenaw (IP&TA&FS 1992-Batch) has been posted as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of National Schedule Castes Finance & Development Corporation (NSFDC) under the Department of Social Justice & Empowerment for a period up to August 31, 2024, which is the date of his superannuation.
Indian oil Chairman Shri SM Vaidya taken charge as VP of the World LPG Association
- Shri SM Vaidya is appointed as the Vice President of the World LPG Association (WLPGA). Shri SM Vaidya currently is the Chairman of Indian Oil Corporation.
- Capital: Lima
- Currency: Sol
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- President: Gabriela Cuevas Barron
- Governor: Phagu Chauhan
- Chief minister: Nitish Kumar
- Capital: Patna
International Cricket Council
- CEO: Manu Sawhney
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- CEO: Ramakrishnan Mukundan
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS): General Bipin Rawat
- Chief of the Army Staff (COAS):General Manoj Mukund Naravane
- Capital: Ouagadougou
- Currency: CFA franc
Current Affairs: Awards and Honors
Bhubaneswar Becomes First City in India to Get ISO Certification for Faecal Sludge and Septage Management
- Bhubaneswar has become the first city in the country to receive the ISO Certification for Faecal Sludge and Septage Management (FSSM). This has been informed by the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC).
Scottish writer Douglas Stuart wins Booker Prize for debut novel ‘Shuggie Bain’
- Scottish author Douglas Stuartwon the Booker Prize for fiction with his first novel Shuggie Bain, with judges saying his tale of love and alcoholism set in Glasgow in 1980s was destined to be a classic.
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ To Be Conferred With Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ will be conferred with the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award at a virtual ceremony on November 21, 2020. This award will be conferred to the Minister for writing, poetry and other literary works.
Raah Foundation wins Palghar CSR Award 2020
- Raah Foundation wins Palghar CSR Award 2020 under the category of Village Development for outstanding contribution towards sustainable socio-economic development of Palghar, Kokan region at the 2nd edition CSR conclave and awards Dialogue Palghar on 6th Nov 2020.
Books by 3 Indian writers feature in 2020 ‘100 Notable Books’ selected by The New York Times
- Critically-acclaimed books by three Indian writers have featured among this year’s ‘100 Notable Books’ list of The New York Times that also includes former US president Barack Obama’s newly released memoir ‘A Promised Land’.
Nagaland: KSCDL declared winner at ET Govt Global Smart Cities Forum 2020
- In Nagaland, Kohima Smart City Development Limited, KSCDL has been declared Winner at the ET Government Global Smart Cities Forum 2020 under the category Best Digital Initiative of the Year (Technology) for Kohima City Wifi Phase-I Project.
Naseeruddin Shah honoured with Aditya Vikram Birla Kalashikhar Puraskar
- Veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah has been honoured with the 2020 Aditya Vikram Birla Kalashikhar Puraskar at annual Sangit Kala Kendra Awards. Alongside, two emerging stars, in the firmament of theatrics – Neel Choudhary and Irawati Karnik were awarded the Aditya Vikram Birla Kalakiran Puraskars. “Theatre” is the central theme, for this year’s awards.
Indian web sequel ‘Delhi Crime’ wins International Emmy award for Best Drama Series
- Delhi Crime’ has bagged a major win for Indian web series, winning the Best Drama Series award at the 48th International Emmys.This was the first-ever Emmy for an Indian program.
Pilibhit Tiger Reserve gets global award for doubling tiger population
- The Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR) and the Uttar Pradesh Forest department have bagged the first-ever international award, TX2, for doubling the number of tigers in four years against a target of 10 years. PTR was the first to receive the award among 13 tiger range countries.
ISRO Chairman K Sivan receives Doctor of Science Honorary Doctorate
- Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala presented Doctor of Science honorary doctorate upon ISRO Chairman K Sivan. The Visvesvaraya Technological University has conferred the doctorate to him.
TN School Girl Wins Award For Designing Solar Powered Ironing Cart
- A 14-year-old class 9th student from Tamil Nadu has won the prestigious Children’s Climate Prize for designing a mobile ironing cart that uses solar panels to power a steam iron box instead of using conventional charcoal.
Israeli Prime Minister, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince nominated for Nobel Peace Prize 2021
- The Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize 2021 for their roles in establishing the strategic and diplomatic ties between the two nations.
Oscars 2021: Keith Gomes’ Shameless is India’s official entry in short film category at 93rd Academy Awards
- Keith Gomes’ short film ‘Shameless’ has been selected as India’s official entry at the 93rd Academy Awards in the ‘Live Action Short Film’ category.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Capital: Kohima
- Governor: RN Ravi
- Chief minister: Neiphiu Rio
- Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Chairman: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
Current Affairs: Summits and Conference
PM Narendra Modi addresses the India-Luxembourg bilateral virtual summit via video conferencing
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a Bilateral Summit with E. Xavier Bettel, Prime Minister of Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in virtual format.
→ Nirmala Sitharaman attends G20 Finance Ministers’ virtual meeting
- Finance Nirmala Sitharaman virtually participated in the G20 Finance Ministers meeting in New Delhi. Finance Ministers of the G20 countries gathered to discuss their views on the global economic outlook and downside risks in wake of the COVID-19 crisis and how G20 could carry forward the collective global action initiated during the crisis.
80th All India Presiding Officers’ Conference to be organized at Kevadia on Nov 25
- A two day 80th All India Presiding Officers’ Conference will be organized at Kevadia, Gujarat on 25th of this month. Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla stated that the theme of this year’s conference is Harmonious Coordination of Legislative, Executive and Judiciary- Key to a Vibrant Democracy. President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the two day conference.
India to host G20 Summit in 2023
- India is set to host the G-20 summit in 2023, instead of 2022 — the 75th year of Independence. Indonesia will assume G-20 presidency in 2022 after a swap with India. G20 leaders announced that India will host the summit of the high-profile grouping in 2023 ― a year later than what was decided earlier.
Malaysia hosted 2020 APEC Summit
- The 2020 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders’ Meeting was held under the Chairmanship of Malaysian Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
- The theme of the APEC Malaysia 2020 was “Optimising Human Potential Towards a Resilient Future of Shared Prosperity: Pivot. Prioritise. Progress”.
PM Modi to inaugurate RE-INVEST 2020 on Nov 26
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the virtual third Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (RE-Invest 2020). The three days summit is organised by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
India to host SCO Council of Heads of Government Meeting
- India will host Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Council of Heads of Government Meeting in virtual format. Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu will chair the meeting.
- Capital: Luxembourg
- Currency: Euro
- The G20 is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union.
- Founded: 26 September 1999
- Leader: Salman of Saudi Arabia (2020)
- Chairman: King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (2020)
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
- The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation is an inter-governmental forum for 21 member economies in the Pacific Rim that promotes free trade throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
- Headquarters: Singapore
- Chairperson: Muhyiddin Yassin
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, or Shanghai Pact, is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance, the creation of which was announced on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai, China by the leaders.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Founded: 15 June 2001
- Secretary General: Vladimir Norov
Current Affairs: Ranking
UP best performer in inland fisheries, Odisha is best Marine state
- Uttar Pradesh was awarded as best performing state in inland fisheries sector while Odisha got the award of the best Marine state on the occasion of ‘World Fisheries Day’ observed by the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India.
India becomes 4th nation to get IMO nod for navigation satellite system
- India has become the fourth country in the world to have its independent regional navigation satellite system recognised by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as a part of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS).The other three countries that have its navigation systems recognised by the IMO are the US, Russia and China.
Worldwide Cost of Living 2020
- The new edition of the Worldwide Cost of Living report shows how the Covid-19 pandemic has changed the cost of living in about 130 cities around the world since the start of 2020. Hong Kong is now joined by Paris and Zurich. Both cities have overtaken Singapore and Osaka, which have dropped down to 4th and 5th ranks, respectively
Elon Musk Overtakes Bill Gates to Grab World’s Second-Richest Ranking
- Tesla co-founder Elon Musk is now the world’s second richest person after he leapfrogged Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire Index, which tracks the wealth of the world’s 500 richest people.
India tops bribery rate in Asia region; 46% people used personal connection to access public services
- India has got the dubious distinction of having the highest bribery rate in the Asia region, with a survey showing the bribery rate of the country at 39 percent. Nearly half of the people, who paid bribes, stated they were asked to do so, it revealed.
- India was followed by Cambodia at 37 percent and Indonesia stood at third position with bribery rate of 30 percent. India’s neighbouring nation Nepal was much lower on the list at 12 percent.
Global Terrorism Index 2020
- India ranks 8th in the world on the basis of its score on the GTI – 7.353. It ranks better than Pakistan (ranked 7) but lower than the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Philippines, which rank 9th and 10 respectively. A higher score, and thus a higher rank (1 being the worst) shows a country more severely affected by terrorism.
India Ranks 77 in Global Bribery Risk Matrix
- India is at 77th position with a score of 45 in a global list that measures business bribery risks of 2020. In 2019, India’s rank stood 78 position with a score of 48.
Delhi Airport achieves new height in Asia Pacific for Carbon Accreditation
- The Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport has become Asia Pacific’s first Level 4+ (Transition) accredited airport under ACI’s Airport Carbon Accreditation programme.
IIT Delhi Tops Among Indian Institutes In Employability: Survey
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has been ranked as the best institute in India and 27th globally, in terms of employability of its students, in the Global Employability Ranking and Survey (GEURS) 2020 results.
Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying
- Giriraj Singh, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency: Begusarai
- Sanjeev Kumar Balyan, Minister of State
- Pratap Chandra Sarangi, Minister of State
International Maritime Organization
- Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
- Head: Secretary-General Kitack Lim
- Headquarters: Berlin, Germany
- Chairperson: Delia Ferreira Rubio
Current affairs: Books and Authors
Shashi Tharoor’s latest book “The Battle of Belonging” launched by Prabha Khaitan Foundation
- Shashi Tharoor’s latest book “The Battle of Belonging” was formally launched at the Prabha Khaitan Foundation’s signature event Kitab .
PM Modi Releases Book On Life And Ideals Of Guru Nanak Dev
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book on the life and ideals of Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of Sikhism and first of its ten gurus.
Current Affairs: Defence
Indian Navy receives ninth Boeing P-8I surveillance aircraft
- Indian Navy received the first of the four new P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft.
- In a major boost to its anti-submarine warfare capabilities, the Navy received its ninth P-8I surveillance plane at the naval airbase in Goa.
30th India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol Took Place Between Nov 18-20
- The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy took place from November 18-20.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette and His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate along with Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies are participating in the CORPAT.
2nd edition of SITMEX-20 underway in Andaman Sea
- Indian Navy Ships including indigenously built ASW corvette Kamorta and missile corvette Karmuk are participating in the 2nd edition of India, Singapore and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX-20 in Andaman Sea. The two day exercise got underway.
India – Singapore Bilateral Maritime Exercise SIMBEX-20 to begin in Andaman Sea
- Indian Navy is scheduled to host the 27th edition of India – Singapore Bilateral Maritime Exercise SIMBEX-20 from in Andaman Sea. It will continue till 25th of this month.
Indian Navy gets 9th P-8I anti-submarine warfare aircraft
- Indian Navy has got its ninth Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft, part of the nearly $1 billion deal with the US for four additional planes signed in 2016. India, which had first signed a contract for eight such aircraft in 2009, is also negotiating a deal for six more P-8Is with the US under the government-to-government route.
Indo-Thai Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT)
- The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy is being conducted from 18 – 20 November 2020. Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette and His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate along with Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies are participating in the CORPAT.
DRDO flags off first Varunastra, a heavy weight torpedo
- Satheesh Reddy, Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman, DRDO flagged off the first Varunastra, the heavy weight torpedo that was delivered to the Indian Navy at a ceremony held at BDL, Visakhapatnam Unit.
Indian Army launches cycling expedition in Gujarat & Rajasthan to commemorate 1971 Indo-Pak War victory
- Konark Corps of Indian Army has launched a 1971 kilometers cycling expedition in Gujarat and Rajasthan to commemorate the commencement of the Golden Jubilee Victory Celebrations of Indian Armed Forces in the Indo-Pak War of 1971.
Indian Navy inducts two American Predator drones on lease
- The Indian Navy has leased two Predator drones from an American firm for carrying out surveillance in the Indian Ocean Region, a person familiar with the matter stated– in a sign of closer defence and security cooperation between India and the US.
India test-fires land-attack version of BrahMos missile
- India test-fired a land-attack version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands,. “The target of the missile was on another island there.
- Capital: Bangkok
- Currency: Thai baht
- Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS): Admiral Karambir Singh
- Founded: 26 January 1950
- Headquarters: Integrated Defence Headquarters, New Delhi
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
- Chairman: G Satheesh Kumar Reddy
Current Affairs: Science and Technology
Longest migrating small bird Willow Warbler spotted in Kerala’s Punchakkari
- The bird was spotted by Nirmal George, NSS Programme officer of Sree Gokulam Medical College and Research Foundation, in the capital district.
- Willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus), one of longest migrating small bird which breeds throughout northern and temperate Europe and the Palearctic, sighted for the first time in the country at Punchakkari in the capital.
China to launch moon probe, seeking first lunar rock retrieval since 1970s
- China plans to launch an unmanned spacecraft to the moon to bring back lunar rocks in the first attempt by any nation to retrieve samples from Earth’s natural satellite since the 1970s. The Chang’e-5 probe, named after the ancient Chinese goddess of the moon, will seek to collect material that can help scientists understand more about the moon’s origins and formation.
NASA, US and European Partners Launch Mission to Monitor Global Ocean
- A joint S.-European satellite built to monitor global sea levels lifted off on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex 4E at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
IIT-Madras develops solar-powered unmanned survey craft for Indian ports
- In a boost to the indiginisation of Indian maritime sector, researchers at IIT-Madras have developed a solar-powered Unmanned Autonomous Survey Craft for Indian ports and inland waterways to undertake autonomous hydrographic and oceanographic surveys and provide real-time data transmission over long distances.
23 Medicinal Plants Of Karnataka On IUCN’s Endangered List
- Around 23 rare medicinal plants in various forests of Karnataka are on the verge of extinction and listed as ‘endangered’ on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
IIT Guwahati Develops Space Optical Communication Using Light Beams
- A research team led by the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT Guwahati) has developed a free-space optical communication system for information transfer.
Deep Depression over South West Bay of Bengal intensifies into cyclonic storm ‘Nivar’
- The Deep Depression over the South West Bay of Bengal has intensified into the Cyclonic Storm “Nivar,” on 24 November 2020. The cyclone is currently located 410 km east-southeast of Puducherry and 450 km southeast of Chennai.
- As per the India Meteorological Department, Cyclone Nivar is very likely to intensify into a severe cyclonic storm in the next 24-hours.
Quarantine’ named Cambridge Dictionary’s Word of the Year 2020
- Cambridge Dictionary has named ‘quarantine’ as Word of the Year 2020. The word has been named the word of the year based on data that showed that it was one of the most highly searched words on the Cambridge Dictionary this year.
IISc researchers develop wastewater treatment, recycling system
- The Bengaluru based Indian Institute of Science researchers have developed an efficient decentralised wastewater treatment and recycling system for rural areas.
India to launch deep-sea exploration exercise, Earth Sciences dept to ally with ISRO, DRDO on mining project
- The Earth Sciences ministry plans to launch the exploration mission in 3-4 months’ time to look for poly-metallic sulphides (PMS).
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Administrator:Jim Bridenstine
International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland
- CEO: Grethel Aguilar
Current Affairs: Sports
Daniil Medvedev beat Dominic Thiem to win ATP Tour Finals in London
- In Tennis, Daniil Medvedev beat Dominic Thiem to win ATP Tour Finals, the biggest title of his career. Medvedev fought back from losing the first set to beat Thiem 4-6, 7-6, 6-4 in a thrilling final in London. Thiem was denied the title second year in a row.
Sports Ministry restores AAI’s recognition after eight years
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has granted the annual recognition to Archery Association of India as a National Sports Federation (NSF), validating its elections held for new office-bearers earlier this year.
Kiren Rijiju launches 2nd edition of ‘Fit India School Week’ program
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has launched the second edition of Fit India School Week program. To participate in the program the schools have to register themselves on www.fitindia.gov.in/fit-india-school-week.
Mission Olympic Cell approves Bajrang’s one-month training camp in U.S.A
- Mission Olympic Cell has approved a one-month training camp in the U.S.A for wrestler Bajrang Punia, one of India’s biggest medal hopes at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Mission Olympic Cell is a body set up by the Sports Authority of India to select athletes who are to get assistance under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and Minister of State in the Ministry of Minority Affairs of India: ShriKirenRijiju
- Constituency: Arunachal West
Current Affairs: Obituary
Former Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Dies At 86
- Former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi, who had been battling for his life with post-Covid complications in a hospital for weeks, died of multiple organ failure.
- Born in 1934, Mr. Gogoi served as the Chief Minister of Assam from 2001 to 2016.
Sahitya Academy award winner Shaik Khaja Hussain passes away
- Noted Telugu poet, journalist, scriptwriter, and Kendra Sahitya Academy award winner Shaik Khaja Hussain, popularly known as Devi Priya, passed away. He was born in Tadikonda in Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh.
Actor Ashish Roy passes away due to kidney failure
- Popular TV actor Ashiesh Roy passed away at his Mumbai residence due to kidney ailment . He was 55. Ashiesh had worked in several shows, including Kuch Rang Pyar Ke Aise Bhi, and others.
Football Legend Diego Maradona Dies Of Heart Attack At 60
- Diego Maradona, one of the greatest footballers of all time, died at the age of 60, plunging his sport and his native Argentina. Renowned along with Pele as one of the greatest players ever to play the game, the Argentine World Cup-winning captain died of a heart attack, having undergone brain surgery earlier this month.
Prominent Islamic scholar Kalbe Sadiq dies at 83
- Prominent Islamic scholar, reformer, educationalist and vice-president of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) Maulana Kalbe Sadiq, 83.
Congress Veteran Ahmed Patel Dies at 71 After Battling Covid
- Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel, who was the political secretary to Congress President Sonia Gandhi, has passed away, after testing positive for Covid-19. He was 71.
FC Kohli, founder of TCS and father of India’s IT industry passes away at 96
- Padma Bhushan awardee, Faqir Chand Kohli, who was the founder and first CEO of Tata Consultancy Services, has passed away after reportedly suffering from a heart attack. He was 96.James Wolfensohn, former World Bank president, passes away
- James Wolfensohn, who served as the president of the World Bank for 10 years and was a guiding force for a couple of the most well-known cultural institutions in the US, has died. He was 86.
Legendary Bangladeshi actor, Liberation War fighter Aly Zaker passed away
- Eminent Bangladeshi actor and cultural personality Aly Zaker passed away in Dhaka. He was 76. He had been fighting cancer for the last several years.