Banking & Financial Awareness
1. First-of-its-kind 24×7 self-service delivery facility ‘iBox’ was launched by ______ ICICI Bank.
➢ On January 29, 2020, ICICI Bank has launched first-of-its-kind 24×7 self-service delivery tool for customers called “iBox” at one of its branches in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ The bank has started it in over 50 branches in 17 cities.
➢ Under this facility, customers will now be able to take their debit, credit card, check book and return check from the branch close to their home or office.
➢ The iBox terminals are installed outside the premises of the bank’s branches, which can be used even after the bank closes.
2. ‘Corporate Loan’ and ‘Ind Surya Shakthi’ two two tailor made credit products were launched by _____Indian Bank.
➢ On January 30, 2020 the Indian Bank has announced the launch of two tailor made credit products i.e., Corporate Loan and Ind Surya Shakthi/ Indian Bank Solar which will be available across the country for the benefit of the textile sector.
➢ The products were launched during a meeting with high officials of the textile industry under the Indian Texpreneurs Federation (ITF), in association with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
3. The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has approved part of the banks request to remove interchange fees on ______ UPI & RuPay card transactions.
➢ The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has approved part of the banks request to remove interchange fees on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and RuPay card transactions as long as the merchant discount rate (MDR) remains zero.
➢ In contrast, it still reviewing other fees like payments service provider (PSP) fee and switching fees as it is concerned that the decision will obstruct its revenues and PSPs like PhonePe & Google-Pay.
➢ NPCI is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems,
4. The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in its “Economic Outlook Survey 2020”, has projected India’ s annual median GDP growth for 2019-20 at _____ 5%.
➢ The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in its “Economic Outlook Survey 2020”, has projected India’ s annual median Gross Domestic Product growth at 5% for 2019-20
➢ It is in line with the National Statistical Organisation’s (NSO) projected growth rate (5%, a 11-year low).
➢ FICCI has hoped that the conditions will improve further and the country’s growth rate could reach 5.5 % in 2020- 21 (FY 21).
5. The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) in its State Focus Paper has estimated credit potential at Rs. 90,395.69 crore for the state of _____Odisha.
➢ The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) in its State Focus Paper for Odisha, has estimated Odisha’s credit potential at Rs 90,395.69 crore for Financial year FY- 2020-21 with a hike of around 20% over credit projection of 2019-20.
➢ Out of the total credit potential for priority sector, agriculture constitutes Rs 43,282.11 crore, in which, Rs 40,227.79 crore (92.94 %) is estimated under farm credit, which consists both crop loans and term loans for agriculture and allied activities.
6. According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), there have been about 1000 cases of fraud in ______the urban cooperative banks (UCBs).
➢ According to the India’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), there have been about 1000 cases of fraud in the urban cooperative banks (UCBs) of the country in the last 5 fiscal years (FY), in which banks have incurred losses of 221 crores.
7. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased Investment Limits Under Voluntary Retention Route (VRR) to ____Rs. 1.5lakh crore.
➢ The Reserve bank of India has made certain amendments in the Voluntary Retention Route (VRR) scheme
➢ As per the amendments the investment limit under VRR has now been increased to Rs 1,50,000 crores (1.5lakh crores) from earlier Rs.75,000 crores.
➢ The Voluntary Retention Route (VRR) scheme was introduced by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in 2009 in consultation with the govt of India.
8. For money transfer services Western Union Company, a leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement and payments, has partnered with ____Airtel Payments Bank.
➢ Western Union Company has partnered with India’s largest integrated telecommunications services company, Bharti Airtel’s 2 arms– Airtel Payments Bank & Airtel Africa Plc, to enable millions of latter’s customers in India to receive international remittances in their bank accounts & and Mobile Wallets across 14 countries in Africa.
➢ Airtel Payments Bank customers will be able to direct a Western Union money transfer into their bank accounts 24/7 via their app in real-time. It will also allow Airtel Payments Bank customer to withdraw money from its authorized 5 lakh outlets.
9. The govt of India, Govt of Maharashtra and the World Bank (WB) signed a loan agreement of _____$210 million.
➢ The govt of India, Govt of Maharashtra and the World Bank signed a loan agreement of $210 million for Maharashtra’s Agribusiness & rural transformation project.
➢ This project will help the farmers in Maharashtra to take part in competitive agriculture value chains, enhance agribusiness investments thereby increasing productivity of commodities.
➢ All 36 districts of Maharashtra will be implemented with the project and would benefit nearly 1 million farming households.
10. The asset management platform under the name ‘PIONEER’ has been launched by _____ IndusInd Bank.
➢ The IndusInd Bank Limited , one of the leading Private Sector Banks of the country , has launched the asset management platform under the name ‘PIONEER’ Banking.
➢ Through this, services will be provided to high net-worth customers of IndusInd bank. Along with this, specially tailored banking services will also be offered, which will suit the needs of valued consumers.
11. With the aim to boost foreign inflows, India’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the short-term investments by foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to _____30 %.
➢ With the aim to boost foreign inflows, India’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the short-term investments by foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to 30 % from 20 % of the total FPI investment in Central government securities including Treasury Bills(T-bills) / state development loans.
➢ This rule also applies in corporate bonds.
➢ These directions are issued under sections 10(4) and 11(1) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999
➢ Till date, RBI gave exemptions for FPI investments in Security Receipts from the short-term investment limit &the issue limit.
12. For the 1st time India a multilingual voice-enabled mobile banking application has been launched by _____City Union Bank (CUB).
13. Which Co-operative Bank has decided to convert into a Small Finance Bank (SFB) _____the New India Co-operative Bank (NICB).
➢ The New India Co-operative Bank (NICB) has decided to convert into a Small Finance Bank (SFB) after being agreed by its shareholders under Voluntary Transition of Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks (UCBs) into SFB.
➢ NICB will now approach the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Central Registrar of Societies for further action.
➢ The bank is currently operating in Maharashtra and Gujarat and has networth of Rs. 230 crores.
14. To fund its rural electrification programme the Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM bank) has extended $35.80 million (nearly Rs 250 crore) Line of Credit (LoC) to ____ Suriname.
➢ The Export-Import Bank of India has extended $35.80 million Line of Credit to Suriname to fund its rural electrification programme through solar Diesel Generator (DG) hybrid Photo-Voltaic (PV) systems in Suriname’s 50 remote villages.
➢ Under the LoC, the projects covered include power, water supply, purchase of helicopters, and rehabilitation and upgradation of milk processing plant.
1. Noted Urdu poet passed away at the age of 97 in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh _____Ajmal Sultanpuri.
➢ Ajmal Sultanpuri was awarded the “LifeTime Achievement Award” by Uttar Pradesh (UP) Urdu Academy in March 2016 for his contribution to Urdu poetry.
➢ The two popular poems of Ajmal Sultanpuri are “Kahan Hai Mera Hindustan” and “Agar Main Tera Shahjahan”.
2. The former Indian basketball captain passed away at the age of 79 in Chennai ____ P Matthew Satya Babu.
➢ P Matthew Satya Babu, a former Indian basketball captain passed away at the age of 79 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN).
➢ Matthew Satya Babu had represented India in the Asian Basketball Championship in Seoul, South Korea in 1967, Bangkok, Thailand in 1969 and Manila, Philippines in 1970.
3. Famous social worker, environmentalist, educationist & writer passed away at 85 years in Kolkata ___ Tushar Kanjilal.
➢ He was born on March 1, 1935 at Noakhali, Bangladesh and was attracted to Marxist ideologies & quit politics in 1967.
4. Jameela Malik passed away recently at 73 years, she was a veteran ____ Actress.
➢ Jameela Malik was the first Kerala woman who graduated from the Film & Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, Maharashtra. She was born in Kollam, Kerala.
5. Veteran player Sunita Chandra passed away in her hometown Bhopal, she was associated with ____Hockey.
➢ She had played for the Indian women’s hockey team from 1956 to 1966.
➢ She had served as the captain of the Indian women’s hockey team from 1963 to 1966.
6. American legendary player Kobe Bean Bryant and his daughter dies in a helicopter crash. He was a veteran player of ____ Basketball.
➢ American basketball legend Kobe Bean Bryant has died along with his 13-years-old daughter Gianna in a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter crash near Calabasas in Southern California.
➢ Bryant is the fourth-leading scorer in National Basketball Association (NBA) history and selected to the all-star 18 times and earned a Most Valuable Player (MVP) award in 2008.
1. India celebrates National Girl Child Day every year on _____ 24th January.
➢ India celebrates National Girl Child Day every year on 24th January.
➢ The day aims to focus on the inequalities faced by girls, to promote the education, health & nutrition of the girl child, and to spread awareness about the rights of a girl child.
➢ The day was observed for the first time in 2008 as an initiative by the Ministry of Women and Child Development and the Government of India.
2. The National Voters’ Day is celebrated every year in India on _____25th January.
➢ 25th of January is celebrated every year in India as National Voters’ Day. This is the 10th edition of the National Voters’ Day.
➢ The theme for the 10th edition of National Voters’ Day is ‘Electoral Literacy for Stronger Democracy’.
➢ The theme aims to renew the citizens’ faith in the electoral process as well as to educate the voters of India.
3. The National Martyr’s Day is observed annually on ____January 30.
➢ The National Martyr’s Day is observed annually on January 30.
➢ The year 2020 marks the 72nd anniversary of the Martyr’s Day or Shaheed Divas to pay homage to the freedom fighters who lost their lives for India’s Independence from British rule.
➢ This day also marks the 72nd death anniversary of India’s Father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi who was assassinated on Jan 30, 1948 by Nathuram Vinayak Godse.
4. World Leprosy Day is observed annually on _____ last Sunday of January.
➢ World Leprosy Day is observed annually on the last Sunday of January every year. This year, the day was observed on January 26, 2020.
➢ In India, it is celebrated on January 30 every year to commemorate the death of Mahatma Gandhi who was assassinated on this day in 1948.
➢ This year 2020 marked the 72nd death anniversary of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
➢ This year’s theme is “Leprosy isn’t what you think”
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed as member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) ___ Janak Raj.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed its Executive Director Janak Raj as member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
➢ He will replace M D Patra, who was recently elevated as Deputy Governor of the RBI.
➢ The MPC is headed by the RBI Governor. The Monetary Policy Committee of India is responsible for fixing the benchmark interest rate in India.
2. Who has been appointed as the new Indian Ambassador to the United States ____ Taranjit Singh Sandhu.
➢ Taranjit Singh Sandhu takes charge as the new Indian Ambassador to the United States. He will succeed Ambassador Harsh Vardhan Shringla, the new Foreign Secretary-designate, who recently left for New Delhi to take charge. Sandhu is the current High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka since January 24, 2017.
3. Who has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) ___ Sunil Mehta.
➢ Sunil Mehta took over as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
➢ He will replace VG Kannan, who resigned from office as chief executive of IBA on December 31, 2019.
➢ The term of the CEO of IBA is for 3 years.
4. Who has been appointed as the Chairman of Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2020 ____ Sunil Arora.
➢ Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India, Sunil Arora has taken the charge as the Chairman of Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2020.
➢ He has replaced KM Nurul Huda who is the present Chief Election Commissioner of Bangladesh. Sunil Arora assumed the charge during the 10th Annual Meeting of FEMBoSA.
5. Who has been elected as the first female president of Greece ___ Katerina Sakellaropoulou.
➢ The Parliament of Greece elected Katerina Sakellaropoulou as the country’s first female president.
➢ Sakellaropoulou received the support of 261 MPs in the 300-seat Parliament, including the support of members of the ruling New Democracy Party.
6. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director of the State Bank of India ___ Challa Sreenivasulu Setty.
➢ The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet has appointed Challa Sreenivasulu Setty as the Managing Director of the State Bank of India.
➢ Department of the Financial Services proposed his name to the Appointment Committee of the Cabinet for the position of Managing Director of the State Bank of India.
➢ Setty’s appointment has been done for 3 years.
7. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Canara Bank ____ Lingam Venkat Prabhakar.
➢ The Personnel Ministry has approved the appointment of Lingam Venkat Prabhakar as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Canara Bank for a period of 3 years.
8. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of Baroda ____ Sanjiv Chadha.
➢ The Personnel Ministry has approved the appointment of Sanjiv Chadha as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of Baroda for a period of 3 years
9. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of India ____Atanu Kumar Das.
➢ The Personnel Ministry has approved the appointment of Atanu Kumar Das as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Canara Bank for a period of 3 years
Important News – India
1. World’s largest meditation centre was inaugurated in ____Hyderabad, Telangana.
➢ World’s largest meditation centre was inaugurated at Kanha Shanti Vanam in Hyderabad, Telangana.
➢ This centre is built to mark the 75th anniversary of the formation of Shri Ram Chandra Mission (SRCM) and Heartfulness Institute.
➢ The meditation centre with a central hall and eight peripheral halls to accommodate 1,00,000 people will offer meditation training free.
2. Indian Railways has commissioned India’s 1st governmental waste-to-energy plant in ___ Bhubaneswar.
➢ Indian Railways has commissioned India’s 1st governmental waste-to-energy plant in Mancheswar Carriage Repair workshop at Bhubaneswar under the East Coast Railway zone.
➢ It has been built at a cost of Rs 1.79 crore and has the capacity to dispose of 500 kg waste, including plastic and e-waste.
3. A festival to celebrate the spirit of India “Bharat Parv 2020” was celebrated in ____ Red Fort, New Delhi.
➢ A festival to celebrate the spirit of India “Bharat Parv 2020” has begun at Red Fort Ground in New Delhi.
➢ The objective of Bharat Parv is to encourage people to visit different tourist places of the country and to inculcate the spirit of ‘Dekho Apna Desh’.
4. India’s first Mahatma Gandhi convention centre opens in ___Niger.
➢ India’s first Mahatma Gandhi convention centre opens in Niger.
➢ Union External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and President of Niger Mahamadou Issoufou inaugurated the first convention centre established in Africa by India to honour the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
5. The state which emerged as Number 1 state in the ‘Decent work and economic growth’ category Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India index in 2019 ____Telangana.
➢ As per the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India, India’s youngest state Telangana has emergered as Number 1 state in the ‘Decent work and economic growth’ category with the score of 82 on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India index in 2019.
6. The Central Government has aimed to achieve objective of Housing for all by ____ 2022.
➢ The Central Government has aimed to achieve objective of Housing for all by 2022 (which coincides with 75 years of Indian independence) under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Grameen (PMAY-G) scheme.
➢ Under the 2nd phase of the scheme ,the eligible people will get one crore 95 lakh houses. Government has set a target of 60 lakh houses for the current financial year-FY 20.
7. 12th edition of the South Asia Conference held in ____New Delhi.
➢ Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh addressed the 12th edition of the South Asia Conference at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis (IDSA) in New Delhi from January 28-29, 2020.
➢ The conference deals with issues related to economic cooperation for development, changing political context in India’s neighbourhood etc.
➢ The theme of the conference was India’s “Neighbourhood First” Policy: Regional Perceptions.
8. The Indian Railways has decided to provide ‘Content on Demand Service on trains and railway stations from ____2022.
➢ The Indian Railways has decided to provide ‘Content on Demand Service (CoD)’ on trains and railway stations from 2022. With COD, passengers will be able to enjoy uninterrupted free subscription based entertainment service such as movies, shows, educational programs during their journey. They will also be able to enjoy high-quality buffer-free streaming on personal devices.
9. The final report submitted by the Committee on Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (IAHE) headed by ___Yudhvir Singh Malik.
➢ The final report of the Committee on Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (IAHE) headed by Yudhvir Singh Malik has been submitted to the Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari.
➢ The report stresses to improve the present training infrastructure, content, training methodology & to create linkages with world-famous international institutes and undertake applied research & related works.
10. The Assam Rifles (military unit) has constructed a war memorial “Veer Samriti” in ___Nagaland.
➢ Assam Rifles (military unit) has constructed a war memorial “Veer Samriti” in Nagaland, Kohima for 357 Army & Assam Rifles personnel, who died while fighting insurgency in north-eastern state. It is first of its kind in Nagaland.
11. 1st ever Innovation festival was organized at _____Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ Arunachal Pradesh state council for science & Technology (APSCS&T) in partnership with National Innovation Foundation organised the 1st ever Innovation festival at science centre IG Park, Itanagar Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ The two days festival aims to encourage the cultural innovation among the people and students of Arunachal Pradesh.
12. India’s 1st Super Fab Lab facility was inaugurated in ____ Kerala.
➢ The Chief Minister (CM) of Kerala Shri Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated India’s 1st Super Fab Lab facility at the Integrated Startup Complex of the Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM).
➢ The lab which will function in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States (US), will work in enhancing the hardware industry. It is the only such facility outside the United States (US).
13. The 1st edition of Ganga-Volga Dialogue of Civilizations 2020 was held in ____New Delhi.
➢ The 1st edition of Ganga-Volga Dialogue of Civilizations 2020 based on the theme “Connectivity”, between India & Russia was held in New Delhi.
➢ The event was inaugurated by India’s Minister of State for External Affairs V. Muraleedharan & was organised by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in association with Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation.
14. Which country will be the guest of honour at New Delhi World Book Fair for the year 2022 ___ France.
➢ France will be the guest of honour at the New Delhi World Book Fair in January 2022 as part of a reciprocal invitation as New Delhi is the guest of honour this year at Livre Paris (Paris Book Fair).
➢ Leading and emerging Indian authors will be invited to Paris to meet readers, while publishing industry professionals will enhance cooperation between France and India in this area during networking events.
15. The Department of Biotechnology has organized a 2-day long International Summit on Women in STEM–“Visualizing the Future: New Skylines” in ___New Delhi.
➢ The Department of Biotechnology under the aegis of Ministry of Science & Technology has organized a 2-day long International Summit on Women in STEM–“Visualizing the Future: New Skylines” at the India Habitat Centre in New Delhi
➢ The aim of the summit is to increase the participation of women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) field for development of scientific career.
16. India’s first e-waste clinic was opened in ___Bhopal.
➢ India’s first e-waste clinic was opened in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. The e-waste clinic was inaugurated by C K Mishra (Secretary to the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate change,MoEFCC).
➢ The e-waste clinic was jointly set up by the Central Pollution Board Control -CPCB and Bhopal Municipal Corporation -BMC.
➢ The e-waste clinic is a 3-month project and if the project becomes successful then it will be established in other parts of the country also.