Important News – State
1. Nagoba Jatara tribal festival was celebrated in the state of _____Telangana.
➢ Nagoba Jatara tribal festival was celebrated in the state of Telangana. The festival is prominently celebrated in Keslapur village, Indervelly Mandal, Adilabad district of Telangana.
➢ It is the 2nd biggest tribal carnival which is celebrated by the tribal people from Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Orissa, Karnataka, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh belonging to the Mesaram clan of of Gond tribes.
2. ‘Direct Consent to operate (CTO) scheme for green industries’ has been launched in ____ Tamil Nadu.
➢ Tamil Nadu (TN) Chief Minister (CM) Shri Edappadi K Palaniswami, announced a new scheme , ‘Direct Consent to operate (CTO) scheme for green industries’ to get faster clearances from government for green category industries.
➢ The scheme was announced at the 125th year celebrations of the Confederation of the Indian Industry (CII) held in Chennai, TN.
3. 1st virtual police station has been launched in which state _____ Odisha.
➢ The Chief Minister (CM) of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated the state’s 1st virtual police station at State Crime Record Bureau in Bhubaneswar, which will facilitate online registration of FIR (first information report) in unknown motor vehicle theft cases.
➢ If a case remains undetected for 21 days, the final form will be automatically reflected at the Crime and Criminal Tracking Networks and Systems (CCTNS).
4. Which states airport got the new women-only cab service namely “Women with Wheels”___ New Delhi.
➢ ‘Women with Wheels’ cab service has been started at Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), New Delhi by ‘Sakha cabs’ for the safety of women.
➢ The taxis are operated by women drivers and the services are provided only to women or men with family.
➢ The cab had been installed with GPS (Global Positioning System) and panic button to help the women drivers & women passengers.
5. After Maharshtra which state government has made it mandatory for schools to read the preamble of the constitution every Saturday ____ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ The govt of Madhya Pradesh has made it mandatory for schools to read the preamble of the constitution every Saturday under the name sovereignty of constitution.
➢ This has been done to make the students understand the basic principles of justice, equality, liberty & brotherhood.
➢ Earlier Maharashtra govt made the reading of the constitution’s preamble mandatory in all primary and secondary schools.
6. Which state has adopted a resolution to abolish the legislative council ____ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Andhra Pradesh (AP) cabinet has adopted a resolution to abolition the legislative council, which the government feels is a major hurdle for passing crucial bills.
➢ This cabinet chaired by the chief minister (CM) YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
7. Which state government has made reading Preamble of the Constitution mandatory in schools ____ Maharshtra.
➢ Reading of the Preamble of the Constitution has been made mandatory for the Maharashtra schools by the government of Maharashtra.
➢ The Maharashtra government has mandated the reading of Preamble of the Constitution after prayer in all primary and secondary schools in Maharashtra.
➢ The above decision will be implemented from 26 January 2020 through a programme “Sovereignty of Constitution, the public interest of all”.
Important News – World
1. As per the 9th edition of Tomtom Traffic Index 2019 which city is emerged as the worst traffic congested cities in the world ____ Bengaluru.
➢ Dutch multinational developer & creator of location technology and consumer electronics Tomtom has released its 9th edition of Tomtom Traffic Index 2019.
➢ As per the index, Bengaluru (Karnataka) emerged as the worst traffic congested cities in the world. Along with Bengaluru, 3 more Indian cities were ranked in the top 10 list.
➢ The other Indian cities ranked in the top 10 places were Mumbai (Maharashtra), Pune (Maharashtra) and New Delhi in the 4th 5th and 8th places respectively.
2. Which organization has declared novel Coronavirus(nCoV) as a global health emergency ___ WHO.
➢ The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared novel Coronavirus(nCoV) as a global health emergency during the second meeting of the Emergency Committee under the International Health Regulations (IHR) (2005) regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus 2019 held in Geneva, Switzerland.
➢ The outbreak which was more prominent in China has now continued to spread to other countries too.
3. Which country has launched e-passport facility _____Bangladesh.
➢ Prime Minister (PM) of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina Wazed has launched e-passport in Dhaka, Bangladesh as Mujib Century year gift to the country.
➢ Bangladesh is the first country in South Asia and 119th countries in the world to have an e-passport facility. Malaysia is the first country in the world to launch this facility in 1998.
4. Which country’s exit from European Union has been approved by the EU Parliament ____ Britain.
➢ The European Union parliament has approved United Kingdom Brexit deal. European Parliament has voted overwhelmingly to approve the Brexit deal with London, clearing the final hurdle for Britain’s departure from the EU.
➢ The vote was 621 to 49 in favour of the Brexit deal that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson negotiated with the other 27 EU leaders.
➢ UK will not have any say in policy as it will not be a member of the EU anymore. Britain is the first country to leave the EU.
5. Which country has launched a £4 Mn (about Rs 37 crore) ‘Innovation Challenge Fund’ in India ___ Britain.
➢ The government of UK (United Kingdom) has launched a £4 Mn (about Rs 37 crore) ‘Innovation Challenge Fund’ in India at an event in Pune, Maharashtra. The fund is focused on 2 main tech platforms including artificial intelligence (AI) and big data in Karnataka and future mobility in Maharashtra.
➢ The fund, which is one of several new initiatives of the UK-India Tech Partnership, is aimed to boost industry and academia to collaborate & develop tech solutions to social, economic and environmental challenges in India.
6. Which country has unveiled the new 50 pence coin to mark the country’s departure from the European Union (EU) ___ United Kingdom.
➢ Britain has unveiled the new 50 pence coin to mark the country’s departure from the European Union (EU). The coin bears the inscription “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations” and the Brexit date of 31 January 2020.
Honor & Awards
1. Prestigious French honour of ‘Chevalier dans lOrdre des Arts et des Lettres (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) has been conferred to _____ Sanjana Kapoor.
➢ Well-known theatre person, Sanjana Kapoor received the prestigious French honour of ‘Chevalier dans lOrdre des Arts et des Lettres (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) for her outstanding contribution to the field of theatre. She is the daughter of Late Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor.
➢ L’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres is a French government distinction instituted in 1957 by the Ministry of Culture and is conferred, regardless of nationality.
2. Nobel laureate Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee conferred with honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) by ____Calcutta University.
➢ Nobel laureate Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee conferred the honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) by Calcutta University at its annual convocation in Kolkata.
➢ The Vice-Chancellor of the University Ms Sonali Chakraborty Banerjee presented the Degree to him.
➢ Banerjee, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 2019 along with two others for “their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty”, is one of the directors of Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) which he had founded in 2003.
3. Which state Tableaux has won the 1st prize at the Republic Day Parade, 2020 among the States/Union Territories ____Assam.
➢ The Tableaux of Assam wins the 1st prize at the Republic Day Parade, 2020 among the States/Union Territories.
➢ The theme of Assam’s tableau was “Land of unique craftsmanship and culture”, displaying bamboo and cane work and Bhortal Nritya performed by Xattriya dancers. Best Tableaux awards for Republic Day Parade, 2020 was given by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
4. Who has been conferred with the ‘Harit Ratna Award 2019 ____ Dr N Kumar.
➢ Dr N Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, has been conferred ‘Harit Ratna Award 2019’.
➢ This award is organised by the All India Agricultural Students Association.
➢ He was awarded for the dissemination of Rs 30-crore entrepreneurship project in agri-business and also for motivating students towards the agriculture sector in Tamil Nadu.
5. Who has been selected for Kerala National Media Award ___ N Ram.
➢ The chairman of “The Hindu Group” N. Ram has been selected as the outstanding media person in a national award instituted by Kerala Media Academy.
➢ The award was instituted for fearless and brilliant journalistic work at a national level. The award carrying a cash prize of INR 1 lakh, citation and sculpture were announced as part of the academy’s 40th-anniversary celebration.
6. Who has won the Global Citizen Prize: Cisco Youth Leadership Award for 2019 _____ Priya Prakash.
➢ The founder and CEO of India based HealthSetGo, Priya Prakash, has won the Global Citizen Prize: Cisco Youth Leadership Award for 2019.
➢ The award was given for her school health program that provides healthcare support to children.
➢ The prestigious award honours an individual aged 18 – 30 who is bringing about a positive change in the world by solving some of its biggest global challenges. The award includes a US $250,000 prize.
7. Who has won the 2019-20 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism for his outstanding contribution in journalism ____ Yusuf Jameel.
➢ Senior journalist Yusuf Jameel from Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) won the 2019-20 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism for his outstanding contribution in journalism.
➢ This was the 2nd edition of award instituted in 2018 by PEN South India and PEN Delhi in the name of editor late Gauri Lankesh, who was assassinated in 2017.
➢ The award carries a cash prize of Rs.1 lakh and a citation. The 1st edition was given to cartoonist P Mahamood in September 2018.
8. Who becomes the 1st ever hockey player to win the 2019 ‘World Games Athlete of the Year‘ award ___Rani Rampal.
➢ Indian Hockey women’s team captain and 2020 Padma Shri awardee Rani Rampal became the 1st ever hockey player to win the 2019 ‘World Games Athlete of the Year‘ award.
➢ The announcement was made by the world games. Hailing from Haryana, Rani has obtained 1,99,477 votes from fans worldwide.
9. The Election Commission of India(ECI) awarded National Media Award for print to ____ “The Hindu Tamil”.
➢ Election Commission of India(ECI) awarded National Media Award for print to “The Hindu Tamil” as part of the poll panel’s national awards for voter awareness and education campaign in 2019 on the occasion of the 10th National Voters Day held at New Delhi.
➢ President Ram Nath Kovind presented National Media Award for print to K.Ashokan, Editor, The Hindu Tamil for encouraging people for ‘Right to vote based on the merit of candidates’ during Lok Sabha election 2019.
10. Who awarded Oxford Bookstore Book Cover Prize 2020, a 1st of its kind award for brilliance in book design ____ Sneha Pamneja.
➢ Sneha Pamneja, a well known Graphic designer based in New Delhi, was awarded Oxford Bookstore Book Cover Prize 2020, a 1st of its kind award for brilliance in book design, at Jaipur BookMark of ongoing 13th edition of the Zee Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) at Diggi Palace Hotel in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
➢ She was honoured for designing the cover of the book ‘Tiffin: Authentic Recipes Celebrating India’s Regional Cuisine’.
1. 1st Indian woman to sign up for foreign football club, ‘Rangers FC’ of Scotland ___ Bala Devi.
➢ Ngangom Bala Devi, 29 years old from Manipur, has become the first Indian woman footballer to get a professional contract from Scotland’s Women Premier League club Rangers (Football Club) for 18-months and to play for jersey No.10 after a successful trial in November, 2019.
➢ The formal announcement was made by Rangers FC and Bengaluru FC at Kanteerava Stadium, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
2. Who becomes the all-time top scorer with 185 goals in international soccer ____ Christine Margaret Sinclair.
➢ Christine Margaret Sinclair, 36 years old, Canadian soccer player ,became the all-time top scorer with 185 goals in international soccer.
➢ Sinclair surpassed the record of American Abby Wambach (original name Mary Abigail Wambach) who scored 184 goals.
3. Who has been banned for life due to match fixing and corruption by the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) _____ Joao Olavo Soares de Souza.
➢ According to the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU), which is responsible for investigating match fixing in tennis, Joao Olavo Soares de Souza (31), a former Brazilian professional tennis player has been banned for life due to match fixing and corruption. It also fined Souza with $200,000.
➢ As per the investigation of TIU, Joao Souza did match fixing in tennis at the ATP Challenger and ITF Futures tournaments in Brazil, Mexico, the United States and Czech Republic between 2015 and 2019.
4. The 71st edition of International Boxing Tournament “Strandja”2020 was held in ___ Sofia, Bulgaria.
➢ The 71st edition of International Boxing Tournament “Strandja”2020 was held in Sofia, Bulgaria from January 19-26, 2020.
➢ India ranked 9th in the medal tally with 3 medals (1 Silver, 2 Bronze). The list was topped by Ukraine with 10 medals (4 Gold, 1 silver, 5 Bronze).
5. Who won the gold medal in the men’s Keirin individual cycling event of the Six-Day Berlin Tournament ____ Esow Alben.
➢ Indian cyclist Esow Alben has bagged a gold in the men’s Keirin individual event of the Six-Day Berlin Tournament. Czech Republic’s Tomas Babek, who won a silver in the 2017 World Championship, came in second while Maximilian Lev of Germany took home the bronze.
6. The Rowing Federation of India has lifted the ban over Indian rower _____ Dattu Bhokanal.
➢ The Rowing Federation of India has lifted the ban over Indian rower Dattu Bhokanal.
➢ He was suspended in March, 2019 from the game by the Rowing Federation of India for the period of 2 years.
➢ He was suspended against the charges of leaving a single sculls race midway during the 2018 Asian Games.
7. Which state top in the medal tally of the 3rd season of the Khelo India Youth Games 2020 ____ Maharashtra.
➢ The 3rd season of the Khelo India Youth Games concluded. Maharashtra retained its reign in the Khelo India Youth Games held in Guwahati with 256 medals including 78 gold. Haryana stood second with a total of 200 medals. Delhi finished third with 122 medals
➢ Shivangi Sharma of Assam won five gold and two silver in swimming. She was the most successful female player of the Khelo India Youth Games.