Important News – India
1. India began its trial trans-shipment of goods from India to the North East through which port ________ Chittagong, Bangladesh.
➢ India and Bangladesh signed an agreement to transit goods to north east via ports of Bangladesh.
➢ Indian transshipment goods will enjoy a stay of 28-day free-stay at the ports of Bangladesh according to international transshipment agreement.
2. US based Zoom Video Communications announced to open a new technology center in which Indian city _______ Bengaluru.
➢ U.S.-headquartered Zoom Video Communications announced opening of a new technology center in Bengaluru, India.
➢ It selected Bangalore as the location for the centre because of the exceptional engineering and I.T. talent.
3. Kakrapar Atomic Power Plant-3 has reached its criticality; the plant is located in which state _______ Gujarat.
➢ This indigenously designed 700 MWe KAPP-3 reactor is a shining example of Make in India.
➢ The Kakrapar Nuclear Power Plant began its commercial nuclear power production in 1993. In 2015, two of its units were shut down due to coolant leaks. Later, int 2018 the power plant reached partial criticality. The leaks were due to corrosion and cracks.
4. Name the actor who has launched an application “Pravasi Rojgar” for migrant worker to find right job opportunities ________ Sonu Sood.
➢ The application provides all necessary information to find jobs and offer specific job training programmes.
➢ The application “Pravasi Rojgar” will act as a platform for the workers to find right job opportunities.
5. Which of the following organizations published the Global Rights Index 2020 according to which India became the new entrant in the 10 worst countries for working people in the world _________ International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC).
➢ The others include Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Egypt, Honduras, Kazakhstan, the Philippines, Turkey and Zimbabwe.
➢ The Middle East and North Africa is the worst region in the world for working people for seven years running due to the ongoing insecurity and conflict in Palestine, Syria, Yemen and Libya coupled with the most regressive region for workers' representation and union rights.
6. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has notified new sets of specified health warnings for all tobacco product to effective from ________1st December, 2020.
➢ The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has notified new sets of specified health warnings for all tobacco product packs by making an amendment in the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Rules, 2008 vide GSR 458 (E) dated 21st July, 2020 “The Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Third Amendment Rules, 2020”.
➢ The amended Rules will be applicable w.e.f. 1st December, 2020.
7. Acquisition of Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited (KPCL) by which company has been the Competition Commission of India (CCI) ________ Adani Group.
➢ According to the proposed combination, Adani Ports will acquire equity shareholding along with management control of KPCL.
➢ Adani Ports is a customer-facing integrated port infrastructure services provider and manages the logistics chain.
8. Which AIIMS has designed and developed a ‘smart wristband’ for effective tracking and monitoring of Covid-19 positive and suspect patients ________ Nagpur.
➢ The new device, a wristband is designed in collaboration with IIT Jodhpur and IIT Nagpur looks to overcome the limitations of existing online mobile apps used for tracking and monitoring coronavirus patients.
9. The Indian Navy's largest solar power plant has been commissioned at ______ Ezhimala, Kerala.
➢ It is a 3 MW Solar Power Plant which has been set-up in line with the Indian Government’s initiative of ‘National Solar Mission’ which aims to achieve 100GW of solar power by 2022.
10. Which IT major will acquire Salesforce implementation partner 4C for 68 million euros ______ Wipro.
➢ This is the company’s second acquisition since Thierry Delaporte took over as chief executive officer earlier this month.
➢ Founded in 1997, 4C is an independent Salesforce Platinum Partner and it has deep capabilities across multiple Salesforce clouds including sales, marketing and field services.
11. Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) has entered into a partnership with which IIT for the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) ________ IIT, Delhi.
➢ Tribal entrepreneurs under TRIFED’s Van Dhan Programme will now be able to get access to the expertise of the entire network of over 2,600 academic and research institutions under UBA.
12. Which Indian Institute of Management (IIM) has developed a wearable hand band Known as the “Veli Band” that helps in maintaining social distancing ________ IIM Kozhikode.
➢ The device has been developed by Qual5 India Pvt. Ltd, a startup co-founded by a woman entrepreneur, mentored and funded by IIMKs business incubator and entrepreneurship development centre.
➢ Veli Band helps implement social distancing and location/contact tracing which can help organisations comply with social distancing norms during the current pandemic situation.
13. Which Indian city ranked 16th among the list of top 20 cities with maximum number of CCTV surveillance cameras installed in a survey done on most surveilled cities in the world by the UK-based Comparitech _______ Hyderabad.
➢ The UK-based Comparitech released the list of top 20 cities in the world which use CCTV cameras for surveillance of open places with an intent to detect and prevent crimes.
➢ According to the report, three lakh cameras were installed in Hyderabad to keep a watch on one crore people at the rate of 29.99 cameras per 1,000 people in the city.
14. The Cotton Corporation of India decided to setup set up its own warehouse in which country to boost cotton exports ________Vietnam.
➢ A memorandum of understanding is being worked out to export 1.5-2 million bales of cotton to Bangladesh while the state-run CCI will also set up its own warehouse in Vietnam to boost cotton exports.
15. Defence Ministers’ Dialogue between India and Indonesia was held in _____ New Delhi.
➢ Defence Minister Rajnath Singh led the Indian delegation while the Indonesian delegation was led by their Defence Minister General Prabowo Subianto.
➢ The dignitary is in India for strengthening the ties between the two maritime neighbours.
➢ This is in consonance with the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between the two sides.
16. Bureau of Indian Standard’s Mobile App “BIS-Care” has been launched using which the authenticity of ISI-marked and hallmarked products can be checked, BIS is working under which ministry ________ Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
➢ The mobile app 'BIS-Care', operational in Hindi and English languages, can be operated on any Android phone.
➢ Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan also launched three portals of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) on standardisation, conformity assessment and training, which consumers and stakeholders can login through www.manakonline.in.
17. On the occasion of “World Hepatitis Day” the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS) has organised “2nd Empathy eConclave”in collaboration with which entity _________ Airport Authority of India (AAI).
➢ The conclave was held on the occasion of “World Hepatitis Day”.
➢ The theme of 2nd Empathy e-Conclave is “Keep your Liver Safe in COVID times“.
18. As per the update report on India’s Tiger Survey from 2018, released by the Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar which state has the highest number of tigers__________ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ India has 2,967 tigers, a third more than in 2014, according to results of a census made public on July 29 last year.
➢ The present survey is a more granular estimate of these numbers.
19. The Power Finance Corporation (PFC) has signed an agreement with the which IIT to provide training, research and Entrepreneurship Development (ED) in Smart grid technology _________IIT Kanpur.
➢ PFC will provide support to the IIT-Kanpur to develop the infrastructure of the research and development on smart grid technology.
➢ The PFC will provide financial assistance of Rs. 2.38 crore to the IIT-K under its CSR initiative.
➢ The IIT-K provides training in smart grid technology to 90 participants
20. Which ministry has launched a Knowledge Resource Centre Network (KRCNet)” under the Digital India initiative of Government of India ________ Ministry of Earth Sciences.
➢ These KRCs will be linked with each other and integrated into the KRCNet portal. This portal would be a single point entry to the intellectual world of Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
➢ With the launch of KRCNet, MoES aims to set up a Total Quality Management (TQM) system by securing ISO certification for documenting MoES knowledge resources, its maintenance, easy retrieval and dissemination.
Important News – State
1. Which state government has approved ‘Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana’, which will be launched in six to seven months and will be linked to Centre’s ‘one nation, one ration card’ scheme _______Delhi.
➢ The scheme will help the beneficiaries get ration delivered at home. They will not have to come to the ration shops.
➢ The scheme is expected to benefit lakhs of people in the national capital through 2016 PDS shops.
2. Which state government has approved a US $285.71 million project for canal-based water supply for its two major cities under World Bank financing _________ Punjab.
➢ The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) would finance $200 million (70%) and Punjab government $85.71 million (30%) as per the proposal mooted by the local government department.
3. Which state government has an agreement with the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, in the area of skill development ________ Punjab.
➢ The institute will help the state in developing a model ITI and a model polytechnic. The IIT to help the state in the manufacture of small devices for controlling water wastage in irrigation.
4. Which state government has launched “Godhan Nyay Yojna” for cattle ranchers _______ Chhattisgarh.
➢ Under the ‘Godhan Nyay Yojana’ Chhattisgarh government will purchase cow dung at the rate of Rs 2 per kg. This scheme will turn cow dung into a profitable commodity.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the ₹3,054-crore “Water Supply Project” in which North Eastern state _______ Manipur.
➢ The project outlay is Rs 3054.58 crore, with a loan component funded by the New Development Bank.
6. Which becomes the first state in the country to implement the Green-Agriculture (Green-Ag) project funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) ________ Mizoram.
➢ It was launched by Agriculture minister of Mizoram C Lalrinsanga.
➢ Mizoram is first among the 5 states where the project is to be implemented.
➢ The other states are Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand.
7. The UK India Business Council (UKIBC) signed a memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with which state government to speed up the business and industrial development in the state ________ Gujarat.
➢ Neelam Rani, Managing Director of iNDEXTb and Kevin McCole, Managing Director of UKIBC signed the MoU.
➢ The objective of the MoU is to enhance the business environment of Gujarat and to strengthen the collaboration of British business in Gujarat.
8. Which state government has employed the aerial seeding technique to improve green cover in the Aravalli area of the state ________ Haryana.
➢ The project is being carried on a pilot basis to rejuvenate the low vegetation density of Aravalli and Shivalik hills.
➢ Using this method plantation on 100 acres is planned to be attempted during the pilot project.
9. Which state government has announced a new Entrepreneurship Development Programme to address the issues of shortage of working capital _________ Kerala.
➢ The programme will be implemented through the Kerala Financial Corporation (KFC), which will provide loans up to 90 percent of the project cost subject to a maximum of Rs 50 lakh at 10 percent interest.
➢ The government will give 3% interest as subsidy thereby; the net interest rate will be 7%.
Important News – World
1. With which country Maldives signed an agreement to establish “Emergency Medical Services” in Male _______ India.
➢ The Emergency Medical Service is financed by India under grant assistance of 20 million USD for neighbouring countries.
➢ This will help to increase the collaboration between the countries, especially in the areas of health care facilities, disaster responses during critical times, etc.
2. What amount of rescue package has been announced by the European Union (EU) to rebuild the bloc’s economies ravaged by COVID-19 _________€750 billion.
➢ The European Commission plans to raise the money in the financial markets, rather than injecting new money into the system.
3. Which country hosted the G20 Digital Ministers’ Meet 2020 _______ Saudi Arabia.
➢ Union Minister of Information Technology Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad attended G20 Digital Ministers’ Meet.
➢ The Saudi Arabian Presidency has selected the theme, “Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century For All”
4. What number of the session of United Nations General Assembly is to be conducted virtually in 2020 for the first time in its history ________75th.
➢ Every year, world leaders meet at UN headquarters in New York to debate important issues of the planet.
➢ The UNGA is the main policy making body of the United Nations. It was created under Chapter IV of the UN charter. The charter was signed in San Francisco in 1945.
5. Which has become the 87th country to join the International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement, an initiative led by India to promote sustainable energy ________ Nicaragua.
➢ The ISA is an alliance of 121 countries, most of them being sunshine countries which lie either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.
6. World Trade Organization (WTO) General Council has granted the “Observer” status to which of the following Asian countries _______ Turkmenistan.
➢ After receiving the observer status from WTO, Turkmenistan has become the last former Soviet republic to establish formal ties with the trade body.
➢ Turkmenistan has become the 25th observer of the organization.
7. Which country has successfully launched “Tianwen-1” its first independent mission to Mars _______ China.
➢ China had launched an orbiter destined for Mars on a Russian rocket in 2011, but the mission failed because the rocket malfunctioned.
➢ Tianwen-1, whose name means “Questions to Heaven,” is a combined orbiter, lander and rover that aims to explore the Martian environment and search for hints of life.
8. India handed over 10 Railway Locomotives to which neighbouring country to bolster its Neighbourhood First Policy ________ Bangladesh.
➢ India had committed to Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina during her visit to India to provide broad gauge diesel locomotives to the country.
➢ The handing over event was conducted virtually and was attended by Indian External Affairs Minister S Jai Shankar, Railways Minister Piyush Goyal and their Bangladeshi counter parts.
9. The World Wildlife Crime Report 2020 is published by which organization that says that India and Thailand are the main source of (82%) of illegal shipment of tiger body parts _______ United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
➢ According to the report Thailand and India are the main source countries for shipments seized in international trade of tiger parts.
➢ The report says that India and Thailand source 82% of illegal shipment of tiger body parts.
➢ The tiger body parts have great medicinal values. The medicines made of bones of the tiger are used to heal ligament injuries, joint and bone fractures.
10. Three hundred year-old Kali temple is being reconstructed in which country with the support of India ______Bangladesh.
➢ The reconstruction is happening with Indian grant assistance of Bangladeshi Taka 97 lakhs and a total cost of Bangladeshi Taka of 1.33 Crores under the High Impact Community Development Project (HICDP) scheme of India.
11. Which state government has launched a free website ‘Rozgaar Bazaar 2020’, that will connect the job seekers and the recruiters on one platform _______ Delhi.
➢ The portal connects the job seekers and the recruiters on one platform.
➢ The aim of the portal is to boost the economy and employment in Delhi.
➢ In this website, the employers and companies can post their jobs and vacancies.
12. Under the aegis of International Solar Alliance (ISA) NTPC Ltd planned to establish solar power plants in which neighbouring country _________ Sri Lanka.
➢ The Ceylon Electricity Board(CEB) has an installed power generation capacity of around 35.8 GigaWatts(GW).
➢ The NTPC’s Sri Lanka Solar park with installed capacity of 62.91 GW is one of the contracts to help the ISA member countries to build a 10 GW solar capacity.
13. With which country India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy ________ Zimbabwe.
➢ The objective of the MoU is to promote traditional systems of medicine and homeopathy between two nations on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
14. The polycarbonate facility of SABIC in which country is set to become the world's first large scale chemical production plant which will run entirely on renewable energy ________Spain
➢ Once the solar plant is operational, SABIC's customers including the ones from automotive and constructive sectors will have access to polycarbonate solutions produced with 100 per cent renewable power.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been awarded with the ‘Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity 2020’ _______ Greta Thunberg.
➢ The Climate Activist is to donate the prize money to organizations focused on environment and climate change.
➢ Miss Thunberg is the first person to receive the prize. She was selected among 136 nominees from 43 countries.
2. Who has been conferred with ‘Legend of Animation’ award instituted by the Toonz Media Group (TMG) as part of the Animation Masters Summit (AMS) 2020 _________ Arnab Chaudhuri.
➢ The award is being presented for his invaluable contribution to the animation and entertainment industry of India.
1. India’s 2018 Asian Games mixed relay medal upgraded to gold after disqualification of which country ______ Bahrain.
➢ The medal was upgraded to gold following the disqualification of Bahrain squad that finished first in the 4×400 mixed relay final.
➢ The Bahrain squad was disqualified as Kemi Adekoya of Bahrain has been handed a 4-year ban by the Athletics Integrity Unit for failing a dope test.
2. Which state will host 4th edition of the Khelo India Youth Games after the 2021 Tokyo Olympics _______ Haryana.
➢ The announcement was made by the state’s chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar and Union sports minister Kiren Rijiju via video conference. The Games will be held in Panchkula.
➢ Haryana has done well in all three editions of KIYG. While they came second in both 2019 and 2020 editions (200 medals in 2020 and 159 medals in 2019) Haryana won it in 2018 with 102 podium finishes (38 gold, 26 silver, 38 bronze).
3. Who has won the Premier Leagues Golden Boot award after netting 23 goals across the 2019/20 season _______ Jamie Vardy.
➢ He beat Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (22 goals), Southampton Danny Ings (22 goals), and Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling (20 goals) to scoop the prestigious individual award.
4. Name the Bangladesh bowler who has been banned for two years by the national cricket board for failing a dope test in 2018 _________ Kazi Anik Islam.
➢ Bangladeshi pacer, Kazi Anik Islam has been handed a 2-year ban by the national cricket board for failing a dope test in 2018. Kazi, who was Bangladesh’s leading wicket-taker in the 2018 U-19 World Cup, tested positive for Methamphetamine, a prohibited substance, during a National Cricket League game in the same year.
➢ The 21-year-old admitted to the offence. His two-year ban began on February 8, 2019.
5. Which became the country’s first-ever football club to feature on NASDAQ billboards in New York’s Times Square _______ Mohun Bagan.
➢ The billboard announcing “131 years of unmatched legacy” of the club also reminded fans about the, “time to start believing, again,” in an obvious reference to Mohun Bagan’s recent amalgamation with the ISL champion ATK.
6. Rajat Bhatia associated with which sports who announced his retirement from the sports ________Cricket.
➢ He started his career with Tamil Nadu in 1999-2000 but played most of his cricket for Delhi.
➢ Bhatia played 112 first-class games, scoring 6482 runs at an average of 49.10 and taking 137 wickets at a shade under 28. He also played 119 List A games and 146 T20s.
Books and Authors
1. The book titled “Suraj Kade Marda Nahi” is authored by ______ Baldev Singh Sadaknama.
➢ The book portrays many aspects of freedom fighter Udham Singh.
➢ The book is published by Unistarbooks. The book has been released and will be formally launched on July 31, 2020.
2. Who has authored the book titled “The India Way: Strategies for an Uncertain World” ________ Dr. S Jaishankar.
➢ The book was published under the HarperCollins India publications. The book centers about the three burdens that India’s foreign policy carries.
➢ He insisted that India should not only visualise its interest but also try to communicate effectively.
➢ The e-version of the book is available on Amazon.
3. Who has authored the book titled “Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India” ______ Viral V. Acharya.
➢ The book portrays his quest to restore financial stability in India and offers a concrete plan for sustained improvement. The book is published by SAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd.
➢ The book is a compilation of his speeches, research and comments as a member of the Monetary Policy Committee, mostly concerned with central banking.
4. Vice President, M Venkaiah Naidu virtually unveiled the “Padi Bhavajaalalu” the Telugu version if the book titled ‘Ten Ideologies’ was written by _______ S Jaipal Reddy.
➢ The translation was done by Kalluri Bhaskaram.
➢ The original English version of the book was launched by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in August 2018.
5. Who has authored the book titled ‘Burnt Sugar’ one among the 13 authors longlisted for the prestigious 2020 Booker Prize __________ Avni Doshi.
➢ A version of the same novel has been published in India under the title Girl in White Cotton.
➢ The Book narrates the story about a woman, Tara who abandoned her loveless marriage to join ashram and ended as a beggar.
Science and Defence
1. SpaceX has successfully launched first military satellite “ANASIS-II” of which country _______ South Korea.
➢ The satellite was deployed into a geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) by a Falcon 9 rocket.
➢ It was launched from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in the US of Florida.
2. Name the indigenously developed anti-tank guided missile that was successfully launched by India from Integrated Test Range at Chandip _______ Dhruvastra.
➢ ‘Dhruvastra’ is an anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) which has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
➢ It is a helicopter version of ‘Nag Helina’.
3. Indian gets ‘Bharat’ drone for carrying out accurate surveillance in high altitude areas and mountainous terrain, the was developed by which organization ________ Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
➢ Bharat Drones a series of drones that comes under one of the world’s lightest and agile drone surveillance systems and is made in India.
➢ Bharat drones are equipped with artificial intelligence which helps the drone to detect friends from foes and helps take any action accordingly.
4. NASA is working on a new mission called Astrophysics Stratospheric Telescope for High Spectral Resolution Observations at Submillimeter-wavelengths (ASTHROS), to study ______ COSMOS.
➢ The mission called Astrophysics Stratospheric Telescope for High Spectral Resolution Observations at Submillimeter-wavelengths (ASTHROS) will be launched by 2023 from Antarctica.
5. As per the Global Forest Resources Assessment report released by the FAO what is India’s rank among top 10 countries where forest cover has increased in the last decade _______3rd.
➢ The Food and Agriculture Organization bring out the report once in every five years.
➢ The report assesses state of forests in the member countries, their conditions and management.
6. Which of the following institutions has launched “Dare to Dream” an innovative contest and open challenge that promotes innovators and startups in the country _______ DRDO.
➢ The Dare to Dream is an open challenge that promotes innovators and start-ups in the country. It is launched to boost emerging technologies. The challenge promotes individuals and start-ups for innovation in aerospace technologies.
➢ The award money for the winners is up to Rs 10 lakhs. The contest was launched by Defence Minister Raj Nath Singh.
7. Which institutions has developed a device named “AJO-Neo” for “No-touch” and “Painless” non-invasive bilirubin level screening in new-born _________ Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre For Basic Sciences (SNBNCBS).
➢ As per the study the device is capable of measuring bilirubin levels in premature as well as natural birth babies irrespective of menstrual or Chronological age, sex, risk factors, feeding behavior or skin color. It can deliver reports within 10 seconds to the doctor remotely.
8. What is the name of the microorganism decontamination box developed by the Central Scientific Instruments Organisation (CSIO) along with AMESYS INDIA ________ Suraksha.
➢ The box sanitizes an object in the span of 10 – 15 minutes using heat and UVC light.
➢ UVC light refers to ultraviolet light with wavelengths between 200 – 280 nanometers (nm).
9. Which of the following institutions has developed ‘Aashray’, a medical bed isolation system to combat COVID-19 by preventing or minimising the spread of the virus _________ Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT).
➢ This medical bed isolation system is a low cost, reusable solution to maintain proper isolation of COVID-19 patients by creating a suction or negative pressure near exhale, further filtering and disinfecting the aerosol.
➢ The bed isolation system envelopes are made up of specialised material.