Banking & Financial Awareness
1. Which of the following payment company has launched India’s first numberless card for teenagers _______ FamPay.
➢ Teenagers can now use FamCard like a debit card to make payments independently, without asking parents for physical cash or their debit/credit card.
➢ FamCard is a numberless card, all the card details are saved on the FamPay app and there is no need to refer to the physical card to fill in details during online transactions.
2. Which bank announced a corporate agency agreement with LIC India to distribute policies _______ Union Bank of India.
➢ As per the pact, UBI can act as a financial supermarket by offering LIC products of term insurance, pension, plan, children plan, ULIPs, and endowment schemes to its account holders, whereby they can select products according to their choice.
3. The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) would lend $250 million to which country to help the country deal with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic _______ Pakistan.
➢ The project will be co-financed by the World Bank and will bolster a Pakistan government programme to strengthen health infrastructure, social safety nets, investment in human capital and economic growth.
➢ The AIIB has previously approved a loan of $500 million for Pakistan's response to COVID-19. Both loans are part of the AIIB's $10 billion funding facility to help public and private sectors fight the outbreak.
4. What amount of rescue package has been announced by the European Union (EU) to rebuild the bloc’s economies ravaged by COVID-19 __________€750 billion.
➢ The European Commission plans to raise the money in the financial markets, rather than injecting new money into the system.
➢ Approximately half the funds required (€390 billion euros) will be granted to the hardest hit EU states, while the rest will be provided as loans, to be repaid by 2058.
5. Which bank has launched a nation-wide campaign to distribute face masks and sanitizers to prevent the spread of COVID19 ________ Punjab National Bank.
➢ The PNB’s campaign was launched by the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
➢ This campaign has been launched by PNB under the Corporate social responsibility (CSR).
6. Which Payments Bank partnered with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to train and skill young people in rural areas on financial services _______ Airtel Payments Bank.
➢ The collaboration has an objective to design & conduct focused skill development programs for rural youth and enabling them to adopt the tools to boost online banking and digital financial services.
➢ After the completion of skill development programmes, both the organizations will leverage their industry connections to help the trainees find jobs.
7. Which public sector bank has launched ‘Insta Click Savings Account’, a 100 per cent paperless digital self-assisted online savings account _______ Bank of Baroda.
➢ Insta Click Savings Account uses a new form of digital KYC (know-your customer) and Aadhaar-based OTP (onetime personal identification number) authentication of the customer, which can be operated from the bank’s website, through mobile phone, IPad, laptop, and PC.
8. As per the Financial Stability Report, July 2020 released the Reserve Bank of India what will be the Gross Nonperforming Assets (GNPA) ratio of all scheduled commercial banks (SCBs) by March 2021 _____12.5 per cent.
➢ The central bank warned that the Gross Nonperforming Assets (GNPA) ratio of all scheduled commercial banks (SCBs) may increase from 8.5 per cent in March 2020 to 12.5 per cent by March 2021.
➢ The report further said that if the macroeconomic environment worsens further, the GNPA ratio may escalate to 14.7 per cent under very severe stress.
9. Digital payments platform PhonePe partnered with which general insurance company to launch ‘Hospital Daily Cash benefit’ under Group Safeguard Insurance _______ ICICI Lombard.
➢ It is a customised hospitalisation policy that allows PhonePe users to get an assured amount on hospitalisation due to injury or illnesses including Covid-19.
➢ PhonePe users aged 18-65 can get this policy without prior medical tests.
➢ PhonePe users can buy the insurance through the app, from the “My Money” section.
10. In association with which entity the Fintech Convergence Council (FCC) and Payments Council of India hosted a virtual fintech event called Global Fintech Fest 2020 ________ National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
➢ FCC is the fintech committee of Internet and Mobile Association of India.
➢ The event brought together fintech and BFSI ecosystems from across the globe on a single platform.
➢ The theme of the two-day event was ‘Fintech: With and Beyond COVID’.
11. Which institution has agreed to partner with Green Climate Fund (GCF) toward a 'green recovery' for members confronting the harsh economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic ______Asian Development Bank.
➢ This collaboration focuses on enhancing the steps to reduce the carbon emission and for climate-resilient development in Asia-Pacific.
➢ ABD has offered a support package of USD 20 billion for COVID-19
➢ Under Strategy 2030, ADB will ensure that 75% of its committed projects will support climate change mitigation and adaptation by 2030.
12. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India announced a special resolution framework for _______ MSMEs.
➢ The Government of India has already suspended several provisions of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) to tackle COVID-19 crisis.
➢ It includes exemption of COVID-19 related debts. The GoI also passed the IBC (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 to prevent companies from being pushed into insolvency. The Sections 7, 9, and 10 of the IBC were suspended.
13. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has signed an agreement for extending a $400-million currency swap facility to which country till November 2020 _______Sri Lanka.
➢ This currency swap is used to boost the foreign reserves and ensure the financial stability of the country, which is badly hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The currency swap arrangement will remain available till November 2022.
14. Which public sector bank has joined hands with ‘Uniken’ to secure its Internet banking channels using REL-ID technology for Omni-channel security ________ Bank of Maharashtra.
➢ The REL-ID technology by Uniken has been modelled for defence-in-depth functions that will help secure the bank’s mobile apps by protecting them against phishing, pharming and malware attacks.
➢ MahaSecure, secured by REL-ID, is a next generation secure digital banking app for all online banking needs.
15. What per cent of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) has been decided by the union government in defence sector ______74 per cent.
➢ The second draft of the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2020, now renamed as the Defence Acquisition Procedure (DAP) 2020, was put out in public domain for comments from stakeholders and public.
16. The Central Government in collaboration with which bank has decided to convert the area of ravines in the region of Gwalior-Chambal belt of Madhya Pradesh into cultivable land _______ World Bank.
➢ Around 3 lakh hectares land of this region are non-cultivable, this conversion will improve and support the integrated development of the Bihad area in the region of Gwalior-Chambal.
➢ In addition to the agricultural and environmental development this project will also create employment opportunities and will support the substantive development of this region.
17. Which bank has approved USD 3 million (Rs 22 crore) grant to India from the Asia Pacific Disaster Response Fund to support India’s battle against COVID-19 _______ Asian Development Bank.
➢ The grant is financed by the Japanese government. It will be used to seek thermal scanners, enhancement of disease surveillance and early detection, contact tracing, and treatment.
➢ COVID-19 pandemic response option (CPRO) was established to provide assistance to the member countries’ pandemic response.
18. Which insurance company has launched the “Bohot Jaruri Hai” crop insurance campaign for farmers to encourage them about their yield protection and financial security ________ Bharti AXA General Insurance.
➢ The campaign 'Bohot Zaroori Hai' is aimed at making the farming communities aware about the relevance and significance of crop insurance that mitigates the rural distress caused by crop failure or damage due to factors like unseasonal rains, monsoon failure, storms, floods, pests and diseases.
1. Renowned personality Juan Marse passed away, he was a veteran _______ Novelist.
➢ Spanish novelist, Juan Marse passed away. He was one of Spain’s most respected novelists over the past few decades and the winner of the 2008 Cervantes Prize, the Spanish-speaking world’s top literary award.
➢ His most important novel was “Úlitmas trades on Teresa” (“Last Afternoons with Teresa”) published in 1965.
2. Renowned personality John Saxon passed away recently, he was a veteran _______ Actor.
➢ He was born on 5th August 1936 as Carmine Orrico in Brooklyn, New York, United States of America.
➢ He was debuted in 1954 and starred in detective and horror shows like “A Nightmare on Elm Street”.
3. Renowned personality P Achyuta Rao passed away due to COVID-19, he was a _______ Child Rights Activist.
➢ He is known to have helped prevent child marriages, incidents of child sexual abuse, and child labour.
➢ Rao recently filed a petition in Telangana High Court demanding that mid-day meal be served to students in government schools since they have not been able to access it due to the pandemic-imposed lockdown.
4. Renowned personality Sonam Tshering Lepcha passed away passed away recently, he was veteran _____ Folk Musician.
➢ Lepcha was born in Kalimpong in 1928 and started his career as a soldier.
➢ He travelled to various parts of Sikkim and complied a wide range of Indian folk and traditional Lepcha songs and played folk music on All India Radio in 1960.
5. Renowned personality Somendranath Mitra passed away recently he was a veteran _____ Politician.
➢ A veteran Congress leader, Somen Mitra as he was often referred to, took charge of West Bengal Congress in 2018.
➢ He played a crucial role in forging an electoral understanding of Left parties and Congress in the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.
6. Renowned personality Kumkum passed away recently, she was a veteran _________ Actor.
➢ Her real name was Zaibunnissa. She has featured in over 100 Hindi films like Mother India, Kohinoor, Ek Sapera Ek Lootera, Naya Daur, Ujala, Raja Aur Runk, Lalkar, Aankhen, Geet, among others.
7. Renowned personality Parvej Khan passed away recently, he was a veteran _________ Action Director.
➢ He had been working in the film industry since 1986. Some of his well-known films include Andhadhun, Badlapur, Bullett Raja, Fukrey, Ra-One, Johnny Gaddaar, Vishwaroopam, Vishwaroopam 2, Dev. D, Gangster, Sehar, Ab Tak Chhappan, The Legend Of Bhagat Singh, Soldier, and Mr. And Mrs Khiladi.
8. Renowned personality Olivia de Havilland passed away, she was a veteran ______Hollywood Actor.
➢ She was born on 1st July 1916, in Tokyo, Japan. The actress, who starred in blockbusters like Captain Blood (1935), The adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Gone with the Wind (1939), The Snakepit, The Heiress. She unchained the Hollywoods contract system which was later called as “De Havilland Law”.
9. Renowned personality Amala Shankar passed away, she was a veteran _______ Choreographer and danseuse.
➢ She was honored with the West Bengal government’s Banga Bibhusan award in 2011 for her contributions to art.
➢ First performance of Amala Shankar was in Kaliya Daman which was staged in Belgium in 1931. She also acted in the film “Kalpana” which was released in 1948.
10. Renowned personality Annie Ross passed away, she was a famous _______ Jazz Singer.
➢ She was born Annabelle McCauley Allan Short in Surrey, England, on July 25, 1930. She was a popular jazz singer in the 1950s before crossing over into a successful film career.
1. National Broadcasting Day is observed every year all over India on _______23rd July.
➢ On this day in 1927, the first-ever radio broadcast in the country went on the air from the Bombay Station under the Indian Broadcasting Company.
➢ The first radio broadcast was made on July 23, 1927, from Bombay Station. The station was then owned by a private company called the Indian Broadcasting Company.
2. Kargil Vijay Diwas is observed every year on ________26th July.
➢ On this day, the country remembers the extreme valour, sacrifice and exemplary courage of Indian soldiers during the 1999 Kargil war.
➢ This year nation is celebrating the 21 years of victory in Kargil war.
3. What is the theme of the 2020 World Hepatitis Day (WHD) celebrated every year on 28th July _________ Hepatitis-Free Future.
➢ Every year, World Hepatitis Day is marked by the World Health Organization and various other organizations all over the world.
➢ The day is marked to encourage actions, partners and public for greater response towards controlling Hepatitis.
4. In a bid to promote conservation, raise awareness and encourage sustainability, every year World Nature Conservation Day is observed on _______ 28th July.
➢ The day is marked globally to spread awareness about the best practices to protect the natural resources as our Earth has limited resources which we need to use efficiently to maintain the balance.
➢ People share ideas and some also take-up activities to contribute their bit in preserving nature and its resources. However, this year a global theme has not been decided due to the pandemic.
5. International Tiger Day is observed every year on which date across the globe to create awareness about tiger conservation ________29th July.
➢ Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar released All India Tiger Estimation Report-2018 yesterday. He also released a poster on small wild cats of India.
➢ India is home to nearly 70 per cent of the global tiger population and it leads the world in showing effective conservation of the wild species.
6. United Nations observes 30th July every year as which days _______ World Day Against Trafficking in Persons.
➢ The 2020 theme for the World Day Against Trafficking: “Committed to the Cause – Working on the Frontline to End Human Trafficking”.
➢ `The theme will focus on the first responders to human trafficking. These are the people who work in different sectors – identifying, supporting, counselling and seeking justice for victims of trafficking, and challenging the impunity of the traffickers.
7. The International Day of Friendship is observed every year on which date _______30th July.
➢ To mark the International Day of Friendship, the UN encourages governments, organizations, and community groups to hold events, activities and initiatives that promote solidarity, mutual understanding and reconciliation.
8. The International Day for the conservation of Mangrove Ecosystem is observed every year on which date ______26th July.
➢ It is celebrated each year on July 26 and aims to raise awareness of the importance of mangroves as “a unique, special and vulnerable ecosystem”.
➢ It also aims to promote solutions for their sustainable management, conservation and uses.
1. Who has been appointed as the honorary adviser of steering committee for BRICS Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI) ________ Sahil Seth.
➢ The BRICS Chamber of Commerce and Industry is a parent organization that promotes commerce and industry in BRICS. It was founded in 2012. The main objective of the BRICS CCI is to create support system to MSME segment.
➢ The BRICS CCI mainly aims to reach out young entrepreneurs. It proposes to champion their business and act as voice of young entrepreneurs.
2. Who has been nominated as the Vice-Chairman of the International Union of Railways (UIC) ________ Arun Kumar.
➢ The decision was taken at the UIC General Assembly. The International Union of Railways is also called Union Internationale Des Chemins (UIC).
➢ The headquarters of UIC is in Paris.
3. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Non-life insurer SBI General Insurance ________ Prakash Chandra Kandpal.
➢ He is serving as the deputy CEO of SBI General Insurance since June 2019.
➢ He will replace Pushan Mahapatra who has been appointed as director.
4. Who has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) _______ Sumit Deb.
➢ Deb is presently serving as Director (Personnel) in the NMDC. His tenure as the CMD of NMDC would be applicable till 28 February, 2023.
➢ He will succeed N Baijendra Kumar as the CMD of NMDC who will retire as CMD on 31st July 2020.
5. Who has been appointed as the Chairman of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) of the National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) ______ R Narayanaswamy.
➢ The committee consists of 7 members including the chairman.
➢ The members of the committee will support and provide insights to the Executive body of the NFRA on the issues related to the drafts of the accounting and auditing standards.
6. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) ______ Ramesh Babu Boddu.
➢ His three-year appointment is effective from the date of taking charge, on the terms and conditions approved by the Reserve Bank of India.
➢ He retired as Deputy Managing Director in State Bank of India in April 2020.
7. Who has been appointed as the President and Managing Director of Systems, Applications & Products in Data Processing (SAP) for Indian Subcontinent ________ Kulmeet Bawa.
➢ Kulmeet will be responsible for driving and delivering an exceptional SAP experience for employees and customers across our ecosystem, as well as guide businesses in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to adopt a digital-first mindset.
➢ Kulmeet will report directly to Scott Russell, President of SAP Asia Pacific Japan.
8. Who has been appointed as the Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN) _________ Alok Misra.
➢ The appointment will be effective from 1st August 2020. Dr Misra takes over from the present CEO, Harsh Shrivastava, who has put down his papers after spending over 2 years at MFIN.
➢ Dr. Alok Misra has around 28 years of professional experience in international development, rural finance, microfinance, inclusive finance and research at both policy and implementation level.
9. Who has been appointed as the secretary of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), GoI ________ Riva Ganguly.
➢ Ms. Das who is an Indian Foreign Service officer of 1986 batch will succeed Ms. Vijay Thakur Singh after her retirement on 30th September this year.
10. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Indian Overseas Bank _______ Partha Pratim Sengupta.
➢ His appointment will be up to date of attaining the age of superannuation which is December 31, 2022, or until further orders whichever is earlier.
➢ Currently, he is serving as Deputy Managing Director and Chief Credit Officer at State Bank of India.
11. Who has been appointed as the new chief executive officer of Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) ________ Thierry Bollore.
➢ He will succeed Ralph Speth, who will continue as non-executive chairman of JLR. Bollore has worked in automotive and auto component companies like Renault, Faurecia and Michelin.
➢ He most recently was the CEO of Groupe Renault.
12. Who has been appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of ICRA Limited _______ N. Sivaraman.
➢ Sivaraman held the position at L&T finance (Larson and Turbo) as President and Wholetime Director.
➢ In December 2018, he held the position of Chief Operating Officer at IL&FS which ends by July 31, 2020.
13. Who has been named by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to his new advisory group comprising young leaders _________ Archana Soreng.
➢ Archana Soreng joins six other young climate leaders from around the world who have been named by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to his new Youth Advisory Group on Climate Change.
14. Who among the following has been appointed as the Private Secretary (PS) to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on coterminus basis ________ Hardik Satishchandra Shah.
➢ He is currently serving as a Deputy Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
➢ Before moving to the PMO last year, he worked as the PS to Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar.