1. Congress leader Kamal Nath resigned as Chief Minister of which state _______Madhya Pradesh.
➢ Kamal Nath submitted his resignation letter to MP Governor Lalji Tandon at Raj Bhawan, Bhopal.
➢ The Governor accepted the resignation of INC (Indian National Congress) Government led by Kamal Nath.
➢ After the resignation of Jyotiraditya Scindia and his associated 22 MLA’s (Member of Legislative Assembly) from Congress party. Kamal Nath was unable to prove the majority.
➢ The Legislative Assembly of MP has 230 MLAs, of which 24 seats are vacant. A majority of House of 206 MLAs will require the support of 104 MLAs.
2. Under whose chairmanship the Insurance Regulation and Development Authority (IRDAI) instituted a 16-member committee ________ Pravin Kutumbe.
➢ The committee will further strengthen IRDAI guidelines on corporate governance & will find ways to improve key functions such as risk management and internal audits independent of each other.
➢ The committee consists of a head, six members from the insurance regulator besides members from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) along with other industry participants. The committee has to submit report to IRDAI in three months.
3. Who will chair the 21 member high-level technical committee of public health experts to guide the people in preventive & control activities of COVID-19 _______ V K Paul.
➢ The government set up a 21 member high-level technical committee of public health experts to guide the people in preventive & control activities of COVID-19.
➢ The committee is headed by NITI Aayog member V K Paul & is co-chaired by Union Health Secretary- Preeti Sudan, Director General Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)- Balram Bhargava
4. Who has sworn in as the chief minister of Madhya Pradesh after the resignation of Kamal Nath _______ Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
➢ He took oath as Chief Minister(CM) of Madhya Pradesh(MP)for the 4th time.
➢ He was the CM of MP for 13 years since 2005 & resigned in December 2018 after Congress secured a narrow majority which paved way for Kamal Nath to become the CM
5. Who has been appointed as the MD and CEO of IndusInd bank ________ Sumant Kathpalia.
➢ Kathpalia is a career banker with over 33 years of experience in large multinational banks such as Citibank, Bank of America, ABN AMRO and IndusInd bank.
6. Who has been reappointed as the Deputy Governor of RBI for a period of one year _______ Bibhu Prasad Kanungo.
➢ Kanungo was appointed as the Deputy Governor of RBI on April 3, 2017.He was assigned the portfolio of monetary policy and forecasting department in addition to his regular portfolio currency management after the exit of Viral Acharya.
➢ He served in various areas of the banks such as foreign exchange management, banking & non-banking Supervision, currency management, government and bank accounts etc.
Important News – India
1. The proposed new “Draft Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2020” will come into effect from ________ 1st April 2020.
➢ Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has proposed a new “Draft Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2020”.
➢ It will replace DPP 2016 and would remain in force till 31 March 2025.
➢ Its draft has been finalized by a high-level committee headed by Apurva Chandra, Director General (DG) Acquisition, Ministry of Defence that was set up in August 2019.
2. TRIFED launches ‘Tech For Tribals’ program to bring technology to _______ tribal entrepreneurs.
➢ A 30- days long capacity-building program called “Tech for Tribal” has been launched by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
➢ It was launched in association with IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Roorkee, IIM Indore, Kalinga Institute of Social Science, Bhubaneshwar (Odisha) and SRIJAN, Jaipur (Rajasthan) to provide entrepreneurship skills to the tribal people.
3. Amidst Coronavirus outbreak India’s 1st AI summit ‘RAISE 2020’ postponed to _____ October 2020.
➢ The Indian government announced the postponement of the country’s 1st summit on Artificial Intelligence (AI), ‘RAISE 2020– Responsible Artificial intelligence (AI) for Social Empowerment’ to October 5-6, 2020.
➢ It was to be conducted between April 11 & 12, 2020 in New Delhi by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
➢ The summit is a drive to India’s vision & roadmap for social empowerment, inclusion & transformation through AI.
4. The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) opened a 360 feet long bailey suspension bridge for traffic over _______Teesta River.
➢ The bridge constructed will be useful for the people residing in Lahen town, North Sikkim.
➢ The bridge constructed will facilitate the movement of logistics for the Armed forces deployed in forward areas and also acts as tourist spots.
5. Which IIT is to organize India’s 1st Global Hyperloop Pod Competition _________IIT Madras.
➢ The Competition has been named as ‘Indian Hyperloop Pod Competition’.
➢ This is to increase the awareness & enthusiasm about Hyperloop in India.
➢ The final round to take place in the IIT-Madras campus in July 2020.
6. What amount has been allocated by the union government for health sector to deal with Coronavirus Pandemic ______15,000 crores.
7. Which becomes the first city in India to use drones to sanitize the city ______Indore.
➢ Indore the cleanest city in India becomes the 1st city in India to use drones to sanitize the city against COVID-19 scare.
➢ Indore Municipal Corporation has hired 2 drones from a private company to sprinkle chemicals with sodium hypochlorite and bio-clean in crowded areas like vegetable markets, streets.
8. Which Initiative has been launched the National Book Trust to encourage people to read books while at home ______#StayHomeIndiaWithBooks.
➢ As part of this initiative, it provides select and best-selling titles for FREE Download of 100+ books, in PDF format, from the NBT’s its website
➢ The PDFs are read-only, and no unauthorized or commercial use is permitted.
9. What amount has been provided by the union government under PMGaribKalyanYojana for the poor to tackle Corona Virus ______1.70 lakh crores.
➢ The motive behind this is to aid and support the Poverty-stricken people to fight a battle against Corona Virus.
➢ Insurance Cover of Rs 50 Lakh per healthcare worker workers fighting COVID-19 in Govt Hospitals & health centres
➢ PM Garib Kalyan Ann (अन्न) Yojana; foodgrain entitlement doubled
➢ Farmers to get the first instalment of Rs 2000 under PM KISAN in April 2020
10. Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in an extraordinary “Virtual Group of 20 (G20) Leaders’ Summit” which was hosted by _______ Saudi Arabia.
➢ It was held to discuss the challenges created by the COVID-19 and to develop an action plan for globally coordinated response against it.
➢ G20 leaders agreed to inject over USD 5 trillion into the global economy to counter the social and economic impact of COVID-19.
➢ Leaders also agreed to contribute to the WHO led COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund on a voluntary basis.
11. Amid the growing coronavirus pandemic, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) categorizes which medicine as schedule H1 drug _______Hydroxychloroquine.
➢ It means it can’t be sold without the prescription of a registered medical practitioner.
➢ Now the sale of the drug will be based on the conditions specified in Schedule H1 to the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
➢ The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) recently suggested that hydroxychloroquine be used in high risk cases of coronavirus (COVID-19).
12. What amount has been approved by the central government as additional assistance to 8 disaster-hit states _______ Rs 5,751.27 crores.
➢ The High-Level Committee (HLC) under the Chairmanship of Union Home Minister Amit Shah approved Rs 5,751.27. crores as additional Central assistance under National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) to 8 States affected by floods, landslides, cyclones ‘Bulbul’ & drought during 2019.
13. What is the name has been given to the initiative launched by Indian Army to protect 1.3 million strong forces from coronavirus _______ Operation Namaste.
➢ Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane launched ‘Operation Namaste’ initiative to protect 1.3 million strong forces from coronavirus and provide all possible assistance to the government to control the pandemic.
➢ Under ‘Operation Namaste’, the army has issued a series of directives to all its bases to protect the force from the coronavirus & the army headquarters issued a number of suggestions to deal with the situation over the past few weeks.
14. Which has signs an agreement worth Rs 15,295 crore with India to provide an Official Development Assistance (ODA) for 3 rail infrastructure projects ________ Japanese government funding agency (JICA).
➢ Japanese ODA loans are long-term low-interest rate loans advanced to the developing countries.
➢ The project aims to cope up the increasing demand for freight transport in India by setting up a new dedicated freight railway line between Delhi and Mumbai.
15. What amount has been released by the central government to clear pending wages under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005 ________ Rs 4,431 crores.
➢ With this increase in wages, the national average wage under MGNREGA will rise from Rs 182 to Rs 202 per day.
➢ The release is made at a time of country’s lockdown to combat COVID-19 which has made wage labourers with no work & financial resources.
16. Which IIT is organizing India’s first Global Hyperloop Pod Competition named as ‘Indian Hyperloop Pod Competition’ ________IIT Madras.
➢ The competition is aimed at increasing awareness and enthusiasm about Hyperloop in India.
➢ The competition is open globally and the final round will take place in the IIT Madras campus in July 2020.
➢ Team Avishkar from IIT Madras was the only team from Asia to qualify for the finals of 2019 Hyperloop Pod Competition, developing India’s first self-propelled Hyperloop Pod.
17. Which organization has designed a casualty evacuation bag to transport or isolate persons infected with COVID-19 ____DRDO.
➢ The bag is water and air-proof and treated to deal with biological agents. DRDO will be procuring an initial lot of 500 such bags.
➢ DRDO’s Defence Bioengineering and Electromedical Laboratory (DEBEL), which carries out research in aeromedical engineering and life support equipment and Nuclear Chemical and Biological (NBC) protection systems, has developed this bag.
18. The Government of India has launched a coronavirus risk-tracking app called _________‘Corona Kavach.’
➢ Jointly developed by the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
➢ The app uses a person’s location to assess whether they are in the high-risk geographical zone or not.
➢ This app is being developed in the public interest to give information and capture the outbreak of Coronavirus.
19. The first prototype of hospital isolation coaches has been created successfully by the _______Northern Railways.
➢ The hospital isolation coach has been created in order to fight against the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. There are 10 isolation wards in each coach.
➢ The Northern Railways has removed the middle berth from one side of the coach while all three berths have been removed in front of the patient berth to build an isolation cabin prototype.
20. To engage students in creative projects during the COVID-19 lockdown ‘Project Isaac’ has been launched by ______ IIT Gandhinagar.
➢ The project aims to enhance the student’s skills while they are confined in their homes.
➢ The project is inspired by Sir Isaac Newton, who was similarly sent home by Trinity College, Cambridge, because of the Great Plague of London in 1665.
➢ During this year, Newton, then a 22-year-old college student developed some of his most profound discoveries, including early calculus, as well as his theories of optics and gravity.
21. India’s national Investment Promotion & Facilitation Agency, the Invest India has launched ________ “The Invest India Business Immunity Platform“.
➢ The Invest India Business Immunity Platform has been launched to assist businesses and investors in getting realtime updates on India’s active response to COVID-19.
➢ This platform tracks the regular developments with respect to the Coronavirus.
Important News – State
1. Which state Police becomes first in India to introduce taser guns ______Gujarat.
➢ The Gujarat Police is equipped with taser guns in order to ensure safety and security of the public.
➢ The Gujarat Police is equipped with taser guns in order to ensure safety and security of the public. By introducing the taser guns as part of police weapons, Gujarat becomes the first state in India.
➢ The taser guns have been introduced to find an alternative between “ineffective lathis” and “deadly guns”.
2. Which state government has signed an MoU with Dutch Flying car-maker PAL-V ______Gujarat.
➢ A Dutch Flying car-maker, PAL-V (Personal Air Land Vehicle) will set up a manufacturing plant in Gujarat.
➢ The Dutch car company sets up the firm for the first time in India and has set a target of commencing production by 2021.
➢ The company has chosen Gujarat state for its world-class infrastructure, ease of doing business, better port and logistic facilities.
3. Which becomes the 1st Indian state to launch assessment tool for COVID-19 ______Goa.
➢ Goa health minister Vishwajit Rane launched Test Yourself Goa, a self-assessment tool for COVID-19 to help people identify if they are infected by the virus without visiting a doctor or hospital.
➢ Goa has partnered with Innovaccer Inc, a United States (US)-based healthcare data analytics company, to launch the tool.
4. Amidst Coronavirus outbreak which becomes the 1st state to impose curfew after lockdown fails ______Punjab.
➢ With this, it becomes the 1st state in the country to take drastic measure to stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
➢ After Punjab, the Chandigarh Union Territory (UT) Administration has also imposed curfew in the city to check the spread of virus.
5. Which state government announced that it is readying to set up the largest Covid-19 hospital in India due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus in the country _______Odisha.
➢ The state-level hospitals will have 1000 beds in Bhubaneswar, Odisha and will be functional in a fortnight.
➢ The State Government signed 2 tripartite agreements with KIMS (Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences) and SUM Medical Colleges of Odisha to set up 500-bed hospitals each exclusively for Coronavirus treatment.
6. Who has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court ________ Justice Bhushan P Dharmadhikari.
➢ President of India, Ram Nath Kovind issued a notification for appointing him as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
➢ Members present at the ceremony are Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis and HC judges
7. Which state government has launched a mobile app PRAGYAAM to issue e-passes _______Jharkhand.
➢ The app was launched by the State Chief Minister Hemant Soren.
➢ The app aims to issue e-passes to everyone associated with the delivery of essential services during the nationwide lockdown to curb the spread of COVID-19.
8. Which state government has set up “Mobile Hand-wash facilities” for the benefit of Slum Dwellers amidst lockdown in the state _______Andhra Pradesh.
➢ This facility to help them protect themselves from COVID-19.
➢ The mobile Hand Wash facility has become handy for both the state authorities and slum dwellers to access facility of hands cleaning.
9. Which state government has launched the Self Declaration COVID19 App ______ Nagaland.
➢ The app will be mandatory for any person who entered Nagaland after March 6.
➢ The app is crucial for tracking and surveillance of high-risk cases. The app can be downloaded from the website nagalandhealthproject.org. User will be directed to click the menu button and select the nCOVID-19 App.
10. Which state government has set up “Team-11” comprising of as many inter-departmental committees to fight the coronavirus spread ________Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Each of the committees will be headed by a senior bureaucrat of the state while the CM will be the head of the Team-11.
11. Which state government has launched ‘Mo Jeeban programme’ for the containment of COVID-19 pandemic _______Odisha.
➢ Through Mo Jeeban programme, the chief minister of Odisha urged the people of the state to take a pledge to stay indoors.
➢ He also urged the people of Odisha to wash their hands for at least 20 seconds before entering their house.
12. Which state has abolished reservation in promotion in the state government jobs ______Uttarakhand.
➢ The government employees from the General-OBC category in the state had been staging a protest, demanding the implementation of the Supreme Court’s decision on the issue.
➢ The state government also issued orders regarding the departmental promotion committee (DPC).
Important News – World
1. What is India’s rank in the 8th World Happiness Report 2020 released by the United Nations (UN) ________144th.
➢ The survey ranks the countries using Gallup World Poll, GDP levels, life expectancy, generosity, social support, freedom & corruption income.
➢ This year’s report mainly focuses on happiness in the environment especially in social, urban, rural & natural areas and also links happiness & sustainable development.
➢ Finland tops the report for the 3rd time.
2. What is India’s rank in the 26th annual edition of Economic Freedom Index 2020 ________ 120th.
➢ The Heritage Foundation published its 26th annual edition of Economic Freedom Index 2020 to measure the level of economic freedom in 186 countries.
➢ Singapore (89.4) tops the index for the 1st time
➢ Hong Kong(89.1) for the 1st time secured 2nd rank since the 1st publication in 1995
3. Singapore has rescheduled the 7th World Cities Summit (WCS) 2020 to _______ 20 – 24 June 2021.
➢ The summit is organized by Singapore’s Centre for Liveable Cities and the Urban Redevelopment Authority
➢ The theme of WCS is Liveable and Sustainable Cities: Adapting to a Disrupted World, it was earlier scheduled from July 5 to 9, 2020.
4. Which streaming media service has announced the formation of $100 million fund to deal with Covid-19 _____ Netflix Inc (NFLX.O).
➢ The fund has been created to help workers on film and television productions that have been impacted due to the global coronavirus outbreak.
➢ The fund will help cast and crew members such as electricians, carpenters, drivers and other hourly workers.
5. Which country has become the first country in the world to withdraw from Tokyo 2020 Olympics _________Canada.
➢ The decision has been taken in view of the coronavirus pandemic. The Canadian Olympic Committee announced that holding the Tokyo 2020 Olympics as per schedule would threaten the health of its athletes.
6. Which organization has launched a “Tracker of Policies Governments are Taking in Response to COVID-19” ______IMF.
➢ The policy tracker outlines the key economic responses taken by the government of various countries in order to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The policy tracker has the updated data till March 24, 2020
7. Which organization has launched a $2 billion coordinated global humanitarian response plan to fight COVID-19 _______ The United Nations.
➢ UN Secretary-General has warned that the pandemic is threatening the entire human race and all of us must fight back.
➢ The Global HRP has been launched for a period of nine months (April–December 2020). The response plan will be coordinated by the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and will bring together requirements from the World Health Organization and other UN humanitarian agencies.
8. Which financial institution will invest 100 million US Dollars in National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) of India Fund of Funds (FoF) ______Asian Development Bank.
➢ ADB’s investment into the NIIF platform, the FoF has now secured $700 million in commitments. ADB will now join the Government of India (GOI) and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) as an investor in the Fund.
➢ The investment announcement comes at a critical time for India, whose already sagging economic growth is set to take a beating due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been awarded with Abel Prize 2020 _______Hillel Furstenberg and Gregory Margulis.
➢ The award is given by The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
➢ They are awarded for their “pioneering use of methods from probability & dynamics in group theory, number theory and combinatorics”. They used probabilistic methods & random walks techniques to solve deep problems in diverse areas of mathematics.
2. Who has won the 2020 PEN/Hemingway Award for Debut Novel, for “A Prayer for Travelers” ______Ruchika Tomar.
➢ The novel was published on July 9, 2019. The Novel states about the friendship of 2 women which grows complicated until the relationship breaks apart and one of the friends disappear.
➢ Ruchika Tomar hails from California & is currently working as a lecturer at Stanford University.
3. Who has been honored with IIFTC Tourism Impact Award 2020 ______Zoya Akhtar.
➢ She has promoted tourism through her films like 2011 ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ which was shot in Spain, and 2015 comedy-drama ‘DilDhadakne Do’ shot in Turkey.
➢ Asia’s largest film tourism event, 8th India International Film Tourism Conclave (IIFTC) was held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
1. The International Olympic Committee and Tokyo Olympic organizers agreed to move the Tokyo Games to _____ 2021.
➢ Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the head of the International Olympic Committee agreed to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Games by a year in an extraordinary move, unprecedented in peacetime, as the world battles the coronavirus pandemic.
➢ It will mark the first time in history that the start of an Olympics will be delayed to another year.
2. Which celebrity has partnered with the Government of India’s flagship fitness movement “Fit India” ______Shilpa Shetty.
➢ The tie-up will provide free access of the Shilpa Shetty Kundra’s premium 21-Day Weight Loss Programme during the 21-day lockdown owing to Covid-19 pandemic.
➢ Fit India Movement was launched by the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of National Sports Day.
3. Name the Indian shot-putter who has been suspended for four years by World athletics body’s _______Navin Chikara.
➢ He has been banned for use of a prohibited substance and his four-year suspension starts from July 27, 2018.
➢ Chikara won the silver medal in the 2018 Federation Cup.
➢ At the same year, he was runner up in the Inter-State Championship.